MetriCan

MetriCan Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Family run company
Company is family run. They have promoted me from packer into quality to the position I am working now which is in the office. They believe in promoting from within.
Fast pace, slave work, terrible working conditions
Terrible working conditions. If you are a machine operator you are breathing in constant smoke from the machines, place has no air circulation. They have air vents that don't even work. Management will push you to work faster and stare at you throughout the duration of the shift. Got a chronic sinus infection then started getting respiratory issues then decided to quit.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Only get 2 20 minut breaks for the whole shift
Great people
Nice place to work, people are welcome and employees will great performance and best friends personally. Supervisor are here to help, lots of potential for advancement.
Just Bad
No management support - high expectations without support to succeed.

No team work

Not customer focused, first step in the Customer Complaint Resolution Process is to fight with the customer, if unsuccessful, try to buy them off.
The people werent the nicest
Slave labour no real incentive to list. It was repetitive if you like that the presses were fun to run and set up but if I had my choice the area I thought was best was the die area..pretty cool trade.
constant physical labour - poor management
constant physical labour - poor management
very disorganized, constant last minute changes to work load

poor to no instruction for most of the work I was doing - I basically watched people around me & followed what they weredoing
Pros
Cons
hard days
Management in Tool Room is the big problem.Lead hand and Supervisor too young and no experience working with Tool makers.Was there for 3 months.
Management in Tool Room is the problem.Supervisor and Lead hand too young to manage Tool Makers.Worked there for 3 months with lots of over time. There are much better companys to work for !!!
Cut-throat environment
Manager keeps office doors and outside doors open in February. I got sick. After 2 weeks off I came back and he did same think. When I complained he cut me lose.
Also that manager expects you to make one machine program in 10 minutes. INSANE!!!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MetriCan?
fun work enviroment
Great location to learn various roles in the shipping/manufacturing development, Benefits included and chances to learnand grow with the company. love working here :)
Pros
free lunches and coffee runs
Cons
Wasn’t a good experience working there
I almost got hurt the second day on the job that I’m new to, the supervisor doesn’t take us through the proper training that’s needed and it’s hard to understand people.
I can't really recommend working here.
I started as a 3rd year apprentice, so I was ok was lower money, expecting decent raises as time went on. After I finished school, I only got a 25 cent raise for our annual raise, and guess because I complained and we were a little slow I got sent to the stamping for a few months fixing and repairing dies as well as trouble shooting in the press... all for a whopping $23.50 an hour doing the exact same stuff as the guys making $30+ an hour. Once my log book was filled out and my apprenticeship was complete I moved on, and now get paid a fair wage $28 to start.

So if you do want to work at Metrican, start high because the raises are small; across the shop most people got a 25 cent raise.

The designers are slow and not the best, so expect delays in your build, effecting your timeline.

The guys who work there are friendly, but there are a few guys coming and going right now.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, Workload, Organization, some designers
Okay workplace
Too hot in the summer. But it was a great work place. Easy work good people.had a good time working there and would recommend it to people who like welding
productive work place
Day by day you weld and operate welding machines with a set amount of pieces that are to be done daily , being focused and hard working is definitely needed for a job like this .
Extremely talented tool makers to work with
Metrican has a very steady amount of new tool build. No worries about lack of work from month to month. If you like working overtime, it's always available.
Excellent team of toolmakers to work with and willing to help.

Clean and safe environment.
Pros
Willng to work with you
Cons
No tool replacement program for personal tools
productive
Good busy company. Able to learn about setup and production of punch press operation and inspection of quality production. Coworkers are very friendly. Management of the company are cooperative. The most enjoyable part of the company is 3 days off in a week and the hardest part is 10 hrs shift.
Pros
Half an hour paid break.
Cons
long hour
Great place to work and expand skills
MetriCan is an inviting workplace and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a job in the Stamping, Tool & Die industry. Staff and Management are great and willing to aid new hires. I never once felt unwanted or lost.
Pros
Friendly work environment, close to GO Train.
Grateful to have a job.
I enjoy coming to work. If I am unsure about something, there is always someone there to help and guide me.
The plant is very clean. Management have an open door policy.

Very family oriented.

I am a press operator.
Pros
BBQ for staff every year, coffee and deserts at Xmas.
Cons
repetative work
Productive and exciting environment for any level of position
Exciting place to start a career as a Tool and Die Designer with extremely helpful colleagues and management. Ample amount of information to learn and expand your horizon everyday. They value their employees & do whatever it takes to keep the culture a family vibe.
Pros
The culture is fun and fosters learning and growth given the immense intricacy of stamping.
Cons
None other identified yet except for data being unorganized
Productive workplace with the best management
One of the best places for an entry level person with a very nice work environment. The company encourages feedback and new ideas. The employees and the management are very helpful and easygoing which creates a very stress-free and a productive environment. I not only learned a lot about the company but also about tool and die designing.
Pros
Metrican gives a person an opportunity to learn vast amount of knowledge about the industry.
Cons
Metrican could improve in terms of organizing its data.
Awesome environment for an entry level person.
Best place to start a career as a tool and die designer. You get to learn new stuff everyday given the vastness and complexities of stamping industry.
Pros
There are no impedance on the way of learning about tool design or any other work for that matter.
Cons
Lack of organization in term of documentation.
Fast paced enviroment that keeps on your toes. Fun and very team oriented.
Everyday is different, and it really ties people together. Management is always working to ensure you are comfortable, but also requires that you are challenging yourself; It makes you feel like you are apart of something dynamic and alive.

I've personally learned a lot about what it takes to become a member of a team. You have to bring something of value to the table, something that makes everyone's life a little bit easier. Something that makes people see you as an asset.

I really enjoy going in in the morning; I always know what I am going to do and I also know there is a chance something new will come up and require people to get together to find a solution.

Also sometimes there is cake.