Metis Nation of Ontario

Metis Nation of Ontario Employee Reviews

Unsupportive Management

Management is undertrained as another reviewer has stated. Poor communication of expectations, hostility, and favoritism. I was constantly unclear about duties as were they. They made up rules and policies on the fly.

Pros

travel, expenses, trainings

Cons

poor management performance and relations

Diverse community with lots of movement

The MNO is an amazing organization to work for. You don't have supervisors over your shoulders. Sometimes they don't live in your area it's all virtual. You have the freedom to create your own program. Follow your policy and procedures and you are golden. Can't say enough in one review fight to get a job you won't be disappointed.

Pros

Clients, work environment, flexibility, co-workers, 830am-430pm M/F

A Company Undergoing A Lot of Change

A typical day at work:-Fairly hands-off management, you're very trusted to work on your own and manage your workload.-Depends on the Branch you are in, as your experience can be wildly different.-People work really hard, and that can lead to a bit of an 'exhaustion' culture.-I disagree with a lot of the other reviewers on the toxic work culture. Yes, there are toxic people like any workplace, but you can easily rise above itWhat you learned:-Great onboarding with online training, lots of systems training-You need to learn to ask for help, you don't ask you don't get it-It's really important to understand Métis culture if you are not a Métis individual.Management:-Your mileage may vary, some managers are really strict, others really lax. I would say, ask what they're management style is in your interview-Most management is overworked and stretched thin-Management really cares though, and wants the best for their clients and staff at the end of the day-They work with HR a lot to get the right answers for peopleWorkplace culture:-It's really changing...they are a non-profit, but recently got Self-Government rights-Varies per branch you are in-Overall, it's pretty good. You need to be persistent and patient here.The hardest part of the job:-Being self-motivated all the timeThe most enjoyable part of the job:-The latitude to do your job

Pros

Hour long lunches, lots of cultural days off, early closure on long weekends, good benefits, fair pension plan, really good HR team

Cons

They are hiring like crazy, but it always feels there are never enough people to get the work done.

Not great

If you’re looking for a mediocre-paying job, with little opportunity to move up, this is the place. The working environment is one of the worst I’ve been in. Management isn’t properly trained, most staff in general are highly sensitive and emotional, and unless you’re friends with everyone, chances are you’ll be gossiped about for as long as you’re there.

Great Place to build a career

I deeply enjoy working for the MNO. Management will give you lots of opportunities to develop skills by asking you to take on special projects/ working groups. The vast majority of people I have worked l in Healing and Wellness branch strive to do their very best and support one another including the management team. Regardless of it you choose to make the MNO your career like I have or you choose to work their for a short while, this employer supports your career development the same.

Pros

Travel throughout the province, lots of corporate PTO time, new salary frame work is competitive

Cons

Last minute tasks, high stress

Poor management

Not an inclusive nor professional environment. Many make work projects from management, unfair travel demands, poor management, limited Benefits

Please do not work here

I worked at the MNO for roughly 5 years but for more than half of that time, I was ready to leave. Good employees are overworked and used with no incentive or benefits in overtime, while employees that slack are tleft alone. Although the MNO provided me with a wealth of knowledge at the beginning, the management is unorganized and does not support their staff. I had to leave because I was essentially getting paid nothing for working over 40 hours a week. Upper management can’t agree on anything and decisions are bottlenecked at the top. They can’t make any decisions in advance, then they think about it for days, give you an answer hours before something is due, and then you are left struggling to save they day, but they think that’s “no big deal”. I literally get so frustrated thinking about this place and I am SO happy I left this toxic work environment. I would absolutely NEVER recommend MNO to anyone. Do not waste your time.

Productive and caring workplace

I enjoy working with the people in my office. Management is very caring and passionate towards employees. Although I believe salaries could be raised to accommodate for the cost of living, I would recommend working here to anyone.

power hungry management

Management is power hungry and are constantly at each other trying to further their own career. No guidance for front line staff. Ongoing political battle with the Metis Council puts additional pressure on management which then trickles down to front line staff. Pay is low, takes forever to be reimbursed for mileage and expenses.

Positive changes

The Metis Nation of Ontario is a larger employer with over 30 offices across the province. There are different branches that cover a variety of different programs. Each branch has it's own management style. Some are better than others. While some branches have their own challenges, it should not be a reflection on how the whole organization operates. I have been with the MNO for several years and have been happy with my role. Leadership has been encouraging and gives direction in a way that supports staff and is collaborative based vs punitive. I think some of the reviews posted are fair and speak on their experience working within their own branch but I do not think that it speaks for the WHOLE Metis Nation of Ontario. If you want to work in Education, Communications, Housing, Lands & Resources, or finance there are some great positions and opportunities to grow. Yes, sometimes things can move slow within the MNO which can be frustrating however, they are looking at solutions to help with the bottleneck that can cause delays. The MNO is going through growing pains, there have been some amazing things that happened in a very quick time period. What worked 10 years ago does not work today and they are working on fixing those issues. There have been very positive changes over the past year. We get 2 weeks vacation to start but we also get another 2 weeks off at Christmas that is paid. So you essentially start at 4 weeks vacation. Every holiday weekend the offices close early and we have cultural holidays such as Louis Riel Day and Indigenous Peoples' day off. -

Lots of projects and fun Fridays!

As I recent grad I am gaining a tonne of experience that I would not be getting anywhere else. The organization is challenging and there are a lot of changes but for me this is the best way to apply what I've learned in school to the business word.

Awesome Staff and Great Environment

I loved working at the MNO - the people are great and the organization really cares about you as a person. I learned a lot about Metis culture and was able to get involved in many events celebrating it.

toxic

I've worked here for many years and couldn't wait for the day that I was able to hand in my resignation. The management is beyond horrible and they do not value their employees what so ever. Only select staff get promoted & raises while the hard working & dedicated staff who work their butts off get held back job & salary wise. The work environment is very negative and toxic, it really sucks the life out of you. Working for MNO was a good stepping stone and I've made some good friends here but that's about all MNO is good for.

Pros

extra time off at Christmas, good co-workers

Cons

poor management, negative work environment

Just stay away!!!

I can't stress enough how horrible this organization is run. Employees are mistreated and when its reported, nothing is done. Legacy and entitlement trumps everything else. They'll never keep quality staff. Good luck to you if you decide to join that abusive environment. Seriously, don't waste your time.

Pros

Don't do it..its a trap!

Cons

Apply elsewhere. Future you will thank you.

Great co-workers, terrible management and organizational structure

In the best interest of the clients, I enjoyed my work with the MNO as I felt like I was making a different in their lives. Unfortunately, the management is not supportive and very power-hungry. The organizational structure is very much focused on an overall image rather then best-practices. Everyone feels like they are walking on eggshells which creates a lot of tension. There is clear drama between managers and directors, which can be felt and affects everyone in the work space. For an indigenous organization, I would have liked to see more radical practices and cultural competence, including white-privilege awareness. The MNO is completely oblivious to the white staff ration it has and how this impacts the work that they do with indigenous populations. In respect to my personal and professional values and ethical practices with indigenous populations, I chose to not continue my employment in this organization. I wish I would have read the reviews on indeed prior to my interview, and made a more careful consideration.

Pros

Great co-workers, great clients

Cons

Management, organizational culture, salary

Great for cultural component

Top heavy management, no proper supervision for frontline workers, no proper training for any position within district, Long process for hiring and on boarding.

Pros

meet lots of people, lots of travel, lots of cultural learning

Cons

no supervision, no training, poor wages

Management issues, low pay, little advancement

Great frontline team, poor management which creates hostile environment. Lots of reinventing the wheel with administrative forms and duplicate permissions for simple tasks, micromanaged. Enjoyed coworkers but not a place to grow your career. Organization needs to treat employees on different teams more fairly.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Low pay, management issues, too much red tape

the company gives you intiative to produce on your own.

very interested in obtaining funding to run future programs. managed via internet/email and in person only when annual reports are due. very little support given to the employees from management

Pros

freedom and flexibility in your work day

Cons

very demanding of time and very little support on results

A lot of freedom not much direction

As a frontline worker there is a lot of freedom in your job, each program it's own provincial supervisor. You have to have a lot of initiative to work here as there is not a lot of accountability.

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Low pay

fun workplace

I learned a lot about the Metis culture through out the years of working within the Metis Nation of Ontario. The workplace environment is pretty laid back. The hardest part about being a lead cultural facilitator was organizing a team of young facilitators who all have different personalities.

Pros

good coworkers

Cons

low pay

self governing body

In my role, I was engaged as a member of the executive management team to provide value added programming and services for the Metis people throughout the Province of Ontario.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metis Nation of Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8