Metis Nation of Ontario

Metis Nation of Ontario Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews
Great co-workers, terrible management and organizational structure
In the best interest of the clients, I enjoyed my work with the MNO as I felt like I was making a different in their lives.

Unfortunately, the management is not supportive and very power-hungry. The organizational structure is very much focused on an overall image rather then best-practices. Everyone feels like they are walking on eggshells which creates a lot of tension. There is clear drama between managers and directors, which can be felt and affects everyone in the work space.

For an indigenous organization, I would have liked to see more radical practices and cultural competence, including white-privilege awareness. The MNO is completely oblivious to the white staff ration it has and how this impacts the work that they do with indigenous populations.

In respect to my personal and professional values and ethical practices with indigenous populations, I chose to not continue my employment in this organization. I wish I would have read the reviews on indeed prior to my interview, and made a more careful consideration.
Pros
Great co-workers, great clients
Cons
Management, organizational culture, salary
Productive and caring workplace
I enjoy working with the people in my office. Management is very caring and passionate towards employees. Although I believe salaries could be raised to accommodate for the cost of living, I would recommend working here to anyone.
power hungry management
Management is power hungry and are constantly at each other trying to further their own career. No guidance for front line staff. Ongoing political battle with the Metis Council puts additional pressure on management which then trickles down to front line staff. Pay is low, takes forever to be reimbursed for mileage and expenses.
Positive changes
The Metis Nation of Ontario is a larger employer with over 30 offices across the province. There are different branches that cover a variety of different programs. Each branch has it's own management style. Some are better than others. While some branches have their own challenges, it should not be a reflection on how the whole organization operates.

I have been with the MNO for several years and have been happy with my role. Leadership has been encouraging and gives direction in a way that supports staff and is collaborative based vs punitive.

I think some of the reviews posted are fair and speak on their experience working within their own branch but I do not think that it speaks for the WHOLE Metis Nation of Ontario.

If you want to work in Education, Communications, Housing, Lands & Resources, or finance there are some great positions and opportunities to grow. Yes, sometimes things can move slow within the MNO which can be frustrating however, they are looking at solutions to help with the bottleneck that can cause delays.

The MNO is going through growing pains, there have been some amazing things that happened in a very quick time period. What worked 10 years ago does not work today and they are working on fixing those issues. There have been very positive changes over the past year.

We get 2 weeks vacation to start but we also get another 2 weeks off at Christmas that is paid. So you essentially start at 4 weeks vacation. Every holiday weekend the offices close early and we have cultural holidays such as Louis Riel Day and Indigenous Peoples' day off.
 - more...
Lots of projects and fun Fridays!
As I recent grad I am gaining a tonne of experience that I would not be getting anywhere else. The organization is challenging and there are a lot of changes but for me this is the best way to apply what I've learned in school to the business word.
Great place to work!
As a motivated self-starter, the MNO has been a wonderful place to develop my skills and work in various positions. The MNO has grown exponentially over the years. While many challenges have come with that growth, even more so, there have been exciting opportunities! The MNO is taking serious strides to improve processes including compensation and implementing flexible policies (we also get 2 paid weeks off over the Christmas holidays--can't wait!). The pace is fast here, which means you are never be bored! I love working here and as part of an amazing team.
Awesome Staff and Great Environment
I loved working at the MNO - the people are great and the organization really cares about you as a person. I learned a lot about Metis culture and was able to get involved in many events celebrating it.
toxic
I've worked here for many years and couldn't wait for the day that I was able to hand in my resignation. The management is beyond horrible and they do not value their employees what so ever. Only select staff get promoted & raises while the hard working & dedicated staff who work their butts off get held back job & salary wise. The work environment is very negative and toxic, it really sucks the life out of you. Working for MNO was a good stepping stone and I've made some good friends here but that's about all MNO is good for.
Pros
extra time off at Christmas, good co-workers
Cons
poor management, negative work environment
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Metis Nation of Ontario?
Just stay away!!!
I can't stress enough how horrible this organization is run. Employees are mistreated and when its reported, nothing is done.
Legacy and entitlement trumps everything else. They'll never keep quality staff. Good luck to you if you decide to join that abusive environment.

Seriously, don't waste your time.
Pros
Don't do it..its a trap!
Cons
Apply elsewhere. Future you will thank you.
Great for cultural component
Top heavy management, no proper supervision for frontline workers, no proper training for any position within district, Long process for hiring and on boarding.
Pros
meet lots of people, lots of travel, lots of cultural learning
Cons
no supervision, no training, poor wages
Management issues, low pay, little advancement
Great frontline team, poor management which creates hostile environment. Lots of reinventing the wheel with administrative forms and duplicate permissions for simple tasks, micromanaged.

Enjoyed coworkers but not a place to grow your career. Organization needs to treat employees on different teams more fairly.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Low pay, management issues, too much red tape
the company gives you intiative to produce on your own.
very interested in obtaining funding to run future programs. managed via internet/email and in person only when annual reports are due. very little support given to the employees from management
Pros
freedom and flexibility in your work day
Cons
very demanding of time and very little support on results
A lot of freedom not much direction
As a frontline worker there is a lot of freedom in your job, each program it's own provincial supervisor. You have to have a lot of initiative to work here as there is not a lot of accountability.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Low pay
fun workplace
I learned a lot about the Metis culture through out the years of working within the Metis Nation of Ontario.
The workplace environment is pretty laid back.

The hardest part about being a lead cultural facilitator was organizing a team of young facilitators who all have different personalities.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
low pay
self governing body
In my role, I was engaged as a member of the executive management team to provide value added programming and services for the Metis people throughout the Province of Ontario.
very challenging organisation to work for!
While I really enjoyed the program of working with babies and new parents, I did not enjoy not being paid on time as I had to use my own vehicle to visit families outside of Sudbury and it got challenging at times trying to keep my vehicle fueled when I didn't receive mileage compensation on time.
Pros
Babies and parents
Cons
lack of funding
It was okay for a job
The Métis Nation of Ontario was a good stepping stone for me and while I met a lot of wonderful people, the organisation itself could use some fine polishing.
Pros
work with amazing kids
Cons
no benefits and management requires more education on how to treat the employees
fun experience
i had lots of fun and gained lots of experience doing this job , but the pace was fast, some days i couldent get the job done . But i would get on to it the next day, i learned to stay calm and to work at a fast pace .
Pros
good amount of breaks .
Cons
not to long hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metis Nation of Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8