Meta Cannabis Co.

Meta Cannabis Co. Employee Reviews

Operation managers are liars
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2020
This company is a total joke. The director of operations lies to get you to do things outside your job description. They promote totally incompetent people to be store managers, and have no ability to focus on sales excellence. Toronto is so disconnected from the operations people that the operations people can make any mistake and it goes unnoticed. If you enjoy being micromanaged by people who are both incompetent and stupid, then this is the place for you.
Absolute disaster
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 December 2019
This place wasted a year of my life. Would not recommend working here, regardless of what you are told or promised. Bad culture, clueless management, poor wages and shady tactics. I could go on and on about the problems with this place, but all I'm going to say is don't work for them.
Do not work for them!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 November 2019
If you have to just for experience otherwise look into other big corporate companies who care more. Lowest wages in the industry. Waste you’re time but be warned.
Interesting work place.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 November 2019
Co-workers and customers were awesome, anyone above store level had no clue as to what they were doing. As for the work day it could be really busy or painfully slow.
Not ever again
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 November 2019
Stressful, pushy job with no security. Would not recommend. Spent more time confused on rolls for self and staff. No direction from head office. Constantly changing rules.
Its not the worst job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2019
I loved the company in the beginning. But things changed, and they keep changing. No one feels valued or that its worth the money. The job is very repetitive and if you're just there for the experience then yeah give it a go. But know that having it on my resume has really not helped my job hunt. So for now I'll stay a NewLeaf Zombie.
Don't bother. Basic retail job. No culture, no room for growth or advancement. Waste of time.
CANNABIS CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2019
Sad that i wasted the last year with this company. Everyone is hired part time. Hours are limited. No real advancement. No culture. Basic retail. Lots of standing around.
Not worth it.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2019
Started with meta when they were just "newleaf." Started off as am amazing job, with lots of room for advancement. Fast forward 2.5 months, and they clean house of anyone who actually knew what they were doing. Hours got cut by almost 50% and they still were hiring more sales staff. They like to pretend the company is one big happy family, but it isn't.They make outside hires for their managers, who get absolutely no training from upper management and then the staff is left training their new bosses.

Their wages are an absolute joke, after talking to some friends who are in the industry, Meta MANAGERS make LESS than people starting off as Sales Associates everywhere else.... They also are the only company that I know who doesn't give their staff discounts. (Unless you count 20% off of a $300 Pax a discount) they are one of the most expensive stores I've been into.

Unrealistic sales expectations, inconsistent hours (unless you're a manager), just an all around soul-sucking company to work for. The most frustrating thing is everyone in upper management are 100% clueless about cannabis, and they make every single decision for the store. 0 trust in their store managers who bend over backwards to keep that company afloat.

To sum it up. Don't do it. There are better jobs out there for you.
Pros
Store level staff
Cons
Literally everything else
what can you say?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2019
what can you say that has not already been said? there is no room for advancement. there is a big disconnect between the stores and head office and it would seem the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.. unless your management or team lead good luck getting more then 14 hours a week. no matter how much drive and initiative you show you will not be going anywhere. the people are nice however a lot of the time they will refuse or just not care to follow AGLC Rules or the law and its quite possible you will be belittled/made fun of in front of customers if you try and follow the law /AGLC rules.

no consistency between stores though they are all branded new leaf - no two stores do things the same way so if you were trained on way at a store again you will be made fun of for not doing things "their way" at another store

they pay min.wage because they can't get away with paying anything less but if they could you know they would. they made 40 million in profits and gave the employees ice cream

14 hours a week - but they keep hiring Part time because they don't want to pay people for full time hours - some stores have more staff then hours and you need to take shifts at other locations to get extra hours.. but they keep hiring part time... no internal growth hiring team leads from outside instead of internal promotions

besides the people you really cant say many positive things about this company if any
Terrible Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2019
The company started offering the world and more but quickly fell back from that and now probably offers the least attractive work conditions in all of Calgary (in regards to the cannabis industry). The only benefit to working here is your co-workers, but come on... every job has cool people to work with. Terrible pay, terrible management and huge disconnect between head office and in-store staff. If you want to get some experience not a bad place to start out I guess since they're always hiring (because people are always leaving), but once you realize there is very little for advancement and growth in the company you'll most likely regret not getting your start elsewhere.
Invest your time elsewhere and get respect, better pay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2019
New Leaf Cannabis is on a slow roll downhill. They underpay their employees greatly and expect more and more with zero compensation. On top of expecting full counts of your full inventory every single morning, plus all the opening tasks, plus they want to enforce putting displays together by open, they have unrealistic expectations for the amount of time given, overworking the district manager with 20+ stores. Not including the overbearing, rude, degrading operations and corporate team.
For a company that doesn’t care about retention of those that have put blood and sweat into the stores, it’s going to cost them big time for not caring about employees, just profit.
The only benefit to this job is the staff and few management that try so hard to keep the stores positive while being obviously overworked, trying to keep it together for a corporate team who can’t figure out the basics. Corporate expects them to recruit 50 people a week to steal for the company instead of utilizing a marketing team.

All of this and other plans that your forced to apply, a month later you might get a guide from head office telling you how to do it, with instructions not even close to being accurate. Corporate is out of touch with cannabis culture, what people want, and are 10 months behind getting prices from competitors. After bragging about how much money they’ve made, instead of investments in staff that have been around since day 1, they hand out ice cream coupons
Love the coworkers, it's the only reason to be there
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 August 2019
Prepare to be under paid and over worked.
Head office from the other side of the country micro-manages everything without a single thought of what actually goes on in any of the stores. Nobody wants to be there but it's okay, because you're basically all holding eachother together through the s**t storm. Do yourself a favor and don't even think about applying. There are far better companies that will pay you better and actually respect you.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Everything else
This company will fall so hard
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2019
Where do I start.
The company thinks everyone is a thief. They constantly jump to the conclusion that it’s staff that are steeling instead of admitting their point of sale is the problem and messes with inventory.
Managers are followed up with on everything. I have never worked for a company that requires so much “evidence” that a manager is doing their job. It’s actually like a kid being punished by their parents for cleaning up their toys but not telling them they did. Except everyone’s an adult and are getting paid to run a dispensary. And the company has a great way of making managers feel like incompetent children anyway. Why even hire managers if you feel the need to hold their hands through daily activities.
The people in charge of ordering are entitled and clueless about the industry. Stores are constantly running out of stock or have horrible selection but when they try to mention anything they get offended and blame staff for not trying hard enough.
0 staff incentives. They give you access to a perks program that mostly doesn’t work and have expired codes. No cannabis discount or bonus incentives for staff. Only management staff gets health benefits and full time hours. They’ve been promising managers bonuses since they opened but managers have seen nothing. Now they put ridiculous goals for stores to reach that impacts bonuses so no one will get it anyway.
They expect managers to be their marketing teams. Managers are constantly asked to complete out of store marketing tasks leaving the store short handed. Sometimes they are asked to pay out of pocket and
  more... can take months for reimbursement if they don’t find a excuse to not pay you back.
Managers are asked to go to ridiculous lengths to benefit their store but they can’t even make their own orders or book brand reps to come in and assist in education. Instead we are told to go to the streets and get our own customers.
They identify brand as a nice way of getting away with discrimination. They demand stores have 50/50 genders in their store and are asked to hire based on gender to “balance” it out.
They’ve installed security measures that actually make the store incredibly unsafe in the case of a robbery.
Managers are dropping like flies. We are fed up of being asked to reach ridiculous standards with no incentives, support or compensation.
You will be asked to do things that you feel are so morally incorrect that it will impact your personal life.
For an industry with so much potential, fun, and success, this company sure knows how to run in the opposite direction going as fast as possible.
Disaster, low wages.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 August 2019
New Leaf had amazing potential to do big things, but now it’s being micromanaged by a group of corporate big wigs who don’t understand cannabis Culture, marketing, or how to run a businesss and instead focus on things that don’t matter and are getting left in the dust. They don’t pay their employees a living wage, considering they brag about doing 40 million in sales in 10 months. All in all, this company has no culture, respect for its employees or about retention. In the end they’re going to lose because most of the talented people have left, and corporate doesn’t care. Unless new leaf changes big time quick, they’re gonna be left in the dust. Only company without a loyalty program and charge the highest for cannabis. They’re disorganized and out of touch with the stores and how things run.
Pros
Some of the staff are friendly and fun
Cons
Low wages, no culture, bad corporate
Unbelievable Disconnect Between Corporate and Store Levels
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Alberta24 July 2019
I loved working for NewLeaf initially, but it’s been a slow roll downhill.

There is a fundamental lack of understanding between corporate and store level that is directly contributing to the current turnover spike, yet the company doesn’t seem to be catching on or making any changes. They understand nothing about cannabis culture, trends, or legislation in Alberta. It’s unbelievably frustrating to watch our competitors succeed with membership programs, gift cards, branded merchandise, and sales, while they do literally nothing about it.

The sales goals are demoralizing rather than motivational, and I think at this point the morale at my particular store has become unsalvageable if things don’t change.

The wages are insulting and there’s always advancement or more money dangled in front of us to keep us around but those promises are completely empty.
Pros
The benefit plan is good, coworkers are lovely, you get paid to hang out and occasionally help customers
Cons
Everything else
Do your brain a favour and use it elewhere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2019
You will meet a handful of amazing coworkers who you will watch slowly get screwed over harder and harder till its so uncomfortable you can't say anything. You are lucky if you can make your rent at the end of the month as the pay is trash, for all the education and knowledge you are asked to pay for yourself you get zero incentive back from the company. You will hardly ever get enough hours because corporate has this ridiculous idea that all sales staff are only ever to be part time so they hire 10 pt staff members who get the worst hours possible (so say goodbye to your social/romantic life) and get mad at you when you have to take a day off. The amount of shade that exists within the store management is insane - talk about abuse of power. Customers are extremely rude, barely giving you the common courtesy of conversation before slamming finger down and asking whats on the menu instead of reading it. Basically nothing you do in this job will matter. You will waste your time and be treated the garbage for it. There a few amazing team leads but for the most part the people in charge have less experience and professionalism than the low staff. Just work somewhere else. They have made over $40,000,000 since Oct 2018 and they give each a coupon for an ice cream cone. Thanks, on my salary that is the one thing I actually can buy. Worst place I have ever worked hands down!
Pros
Making good new friends
Cons
Literally everything else
Corporate Greed, Great Place To Be Unappreciated
Cannabis Consultant (Former Employee) –  Deer Run, AB18 July 2019
The management at NewLeaf is poor. They expect you to go above and beyond and poorly reward you for it. It seems like a great place to work at first (purely because of the co-workers), but you will soon realize that there's better opportunities out there.

Within a couple months of me changing workplaces, there was 5-6 employees who did the same. I'll gladly spend 10% more on my legal purchases if it means supporting a company that places values on their employees and creates a welcome atmosphere. I wish the best of luck to anyone else who pursues a career with them. It will be full of grey areas, non-advancement, and patronizing by the people who collect the bigger cheques.
Pros
Staff and clientele
Cons
Low wage, high expectations, feeling patronized
productive and fun place towork
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grant at Kenaston12 July 2019
Loved the customers, especially the older ones like myself. I think due to my age, most new and older customers. They enjoyed that I took the time to talk to them about what they looking for etc. I always told customers my name so when they came back there would seek me out and let me know how thing went. Team work great,another associate may known more about a strain than I would and can help the customer.I learn about new strains everyday.
Pros
meeting with all sorts of people.
Cons
long hours at times.
started great but they sit on a throne of LIES
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Alberta26 June 2019
i was SO excited about this job and loved it for the first bit but its quickly turned into the complete soul crushing bane of my existence. they hype you up about cannabis education/helping people etc. but its all a lie. almost none of the original store management members which were hired are left (that should tell you something) and the rest of staff at store level are starting to drop like flies after a few months.if you work as a team lead or cannabis advisor you will be one of the most underpaid in the industry for that position and there's little if any ability to actually move up despite their whole "we like to promote within" speech. There's long downtime with usually nothing to do, you will pretty much never be sent anything you actually need for stock,the way HR "solves" any staff complaints/concerns is laughable , corporate doesn't seem like they have any idea what they're doing, the benefits are sad, moral is insanely low, there's no real training, you're sometimes told to lie to customers and pushed to use shady sales tactics because all that matters is sales, store managers play favourites and have huge egos, the list goes on... run while you can.
Pros
most of the coworkers, small discount on accessories
Cons
severe micromanagement, lack of any real training, underpaid, laughable benefits, no upward mobility, bad HR, shady sales tactics, increasing frustration with corporate on all fronts, favouritism, rarely get an actual weekend off
started off great, quickly turned into a job i dreaded
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta6 June 2019
terrible place to work. started off in the beginning with legalization and seemed promising. after a few weeks, it quickly changed. HOURS CUT, changing procedures every week, no breaks which is resulting in a huge turnover rate. if you are looking for a side job with just two shifts a week, then well it might work out for you. but don't expect anything more than that.