Merry Maids Employee Reviews

Found 83 reviews matching the search See all 1,125 reviews
Not what I expected
Professional cleaner (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON28 April 2019
The job itself is great... once your body gets used to it. Its physically demanding, but it's good. The pay structure makes zero sense, and management makes no effort to explain it either. The office likes to play favorites, and the ladies are super gossipy. No one says anything to your face. It's like high school. There is no positive reinforcement. Only negative. High turn over.
If you decide to work here, keep to yourself. Don't even make conversation out of politeness.
Pros
Good customers and work
Cons
Office environment
Good company
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2019
I like that we don't have to buy any of our equipment. The staff are great and we all help one another. The office staff is really friendly and understanding. I like not working at night or weekends. The health benefits is good and they pay isn't bad.
Pros
weekly pay, benefits
Cons
hard wood, driving downtown
Not a healthy environment
Residential Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON16 April 2019
It's a franchise so they did what they wanted. Owners daughter in-law ran the business and was very manipulative. She would also say if we brought her to court she would sue us. Working conditions were awful. We would start at 8 and sometimes get home at 8.
Pros
Mon-fri and got paid every Friday.
Cons
The manager
Absolutely Awful
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 March 2019
The management is a complete joke, availability is manipulated into whatever is convenient for them. Injuries are not taken seriously and you deal with faulty equipment on a daily basis. They don't check equipment that causes an injury. Training was basically non-existent so if you don't have any experience, good luck. They change your partner daily along with your equipment. You don't get a 30 minute break after 5 hours you get a 15. You never know when you're going to be finished for the day because they give you additional houses when you're in your last.
Pros
No weekends, no holidays
Cons
Unorganized, careless, unprofessional
Not so great
Residential Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 December 2018
The job work/life balance is good as it’s generally daytime hours from Monday to Friday. Salary sucks because it’s not an hourly wage. You get paid hourly when in the houses, but travel time is not paid. Just your kilometers which do not add up at all because the place is so unorganized and all over the place that you’re wasting your gas driving roughly half an hour between each house. Some locations are an hour outside of London. Your hourly wage and gas mileage aren’t separated so everything is taxed, and you do not get a pay stub and aren’t provided a way to look at pay. You won’t see your hours and the boss can’t tell you your hours worked if you ask. Your job security is awesome if you can last because people drop like flies as working here is not worth the stress for minimum wage and wear and tear on your vehicle. Management doesn’t know how to do their job, and the entire establishment is messy and unorganized. For a legitimate business, there is no structure whatsoever. As for the people that work there, they are a genuinely nice batch of ladies to work with. Just feel sorry for them because they all would express all of what I said, they just aren’t in the right circumstance to find something else. If you aren’t independent and confident in that or comfortable working alone do not apply as you are mainly working and driving from house to house on your own. The training is of very minimum so if you aren’t experienced you will still be thrown into the fire by yourself within your first week. I have seen this with at least five different girls. As for the cleaning aspect,  more... with your customers if you’re lucky enough to have regulars you are scheduled to clean..it is very rewarding! But as for the rest, it is not worth the stress. Your mental health will detiriarate fast.  less
unorganized, hectic, ruins vehicle
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON6 December 2018
Boss only cares about how much money he makes and not about how good of a job is done, charges customers for 2 hours but forces girls to go fast by giving too many houses for the hours paid by the customer
Pros
days
Cons
never knowing what your doing till next day
Good people
Solo Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON6 November 2018
Good people and fun when you're not working alone. Loved most of the customers but staff wasn't as understanding as they could have been.. I wasn't scheduled any breaks so I had to find time on my way to the next house to have my lunch (which I wouldn't consider a real break, yet they still deducted it)....That's all
Productive and Family Friendly
Maid (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 October 2018
The work ethics have always had a pristine high quality atmosphere with their clients and staff. The co workers are very outgoing, sweet conversational and dedicated employees towards the customer's needs.
Very detailed and all around well established.
Pros
Monday to Fridays are good.
Cons
Leaving when you set an emotional bond in place with the co-workers.
Rewarding place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2018
Typical day at work consisted of getting all the teams out on time and getting organized the teams organized and prepared for the next day. I learned a lot about the home cleaning business. Making sure the customer was always happy with their home cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the day was feeling accomplished at the end of the day.
Pros
All the perks and bonuses
Cons
Some late days
Stressful
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 October 2018
Employers can be stressful. Use of own vehicle is expensive and not worth it in the end. Customers are mostly unappreciative and disrespectful. Weekly pay was nice though.
Rewarding Job
Residential Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON3 October 2018
Very fast paced work environment that is a great match for individuals with ambition. The Owner and Manager are very involved in the business and are willing to help in any way they can. Once you get used to the routine and expectations of clients, things run quite smoothly. The pay is rewarding as no one is stuck at minimum wage, gas and travel time is paid. It's nice to travel throughout the day and learn the Sudbury area a lot better.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, no evenings, holidays or weekends
Cons
Physically Demanding (not for everyone)
fun worplace
Housekeeping/Team leader (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 September 2018
It is good place to work, it is work monday to friday..
Every day it is a difference day, new clients.
I think is nice to go a clients houses and cleaning the house for them
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
salary
ooooo
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 September 2018
Cleaning 3-5 houses a day. Work in groups and solo. It is hard to work by your self. You have to use your own car and there is no benefits provided by the employers. Employer provides mileage.
Pros
pp
Cons
pp
good place.
Food prep -Clean (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2018
very good staff there, that truly care about their clients.
the women are easy to work with, and very considerate of others and their schedules........
love the job
house cleaner (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 September 2018
i love the merry maids job but its extremely difficult to manage this and school due to the crazy workload. good if you don't have anything else to do.
Very disrespctfull and rude owner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON1 August 2018
Very unprofessional and rude owner.She will ride her broom as high as she might, just because she can, enjoys the power.Does not respect the workers puts them down and belittles them. Horrible place to work at. Would not re command going there to work, you wont last there anyways.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Owner
Low pay and disrespectful
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 July 2018
I have never in my life worked for someone as the owner/manager at this location. She knows shes higher up and therefor acts rude, entitled, and disrespectful.. no compassion for any staff. Comes down on you HARD if a customer complains about one small thing... never again will i work for this company or reccomend them to anyone
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Rude and disrespectful management
Low pay, hard work
Residential Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 June 2018
Be prepared for some short but hard shifts. Pay doesn't ever equal the amount of labour you put in and you clean some really yucky houses. On the plus side, the work week is set in advance so you don't get many surprise extra jobs added on.
Wonderful and Amazing Workplace!!!
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 May 2018
Merry Maids has made a major impact on my life in all aspects. Mentally, physically, emotionally and financially Merry Maids has improved not only my personal well being but the well being of my family as well. With such an amazing team overall that makes you feel like family, I come home a much happier person. There are amazing incentives and growth opportunities within the company that I have not been able to see or achieve within my past job experiences.

Like every workplace there will always be the ups and downs but with such wonderful co-workers and management, we all work together as a team to help each other get through all the little bumps in the road.

In all honesty I can say I do wake up everyday and actually do look forward to come into work and look forward to seeing all the friendly faces I work with on a daily basis. I love all my co-workers and management with all my heart and couldn't ask for a better place to call my second home.
Pros
Work Environment, Growth Opportunities, Wages, Hours and Flexibility
Cons
Some employee reliability issues, city traffic and some frustrating but managable customers
Overall good place
Solo Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2018
It’s hard work. We get company cars but sometimes drive our own. I have health benefits which helps a lot. The office staff are really nice and are accommodating. Over all a good place to work.
Pros
Health benefits, direct deposit, weekly pay cheque
Cons
Bring equipment into every home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merry Maids. Our community is ready to answer.