Merrick & Company Employee Reviews

Depressing place to work with poor management.
Proposal Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CO23 November 2018
Poor management, low morale and horrible online filing systems. If you want to sit in front of a computer all day and have minimal contact with your co-workers, you might enjoy this company.
Too focused on chargeable time
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM25 September 2018
Rather than seeing the work get done, project managers played accountant with chargeable hours. Even ONE hour over budget was cause for alarm.

Not a particularly pleasant environment.
Pros
Cons
A n a l retentive attitude
Engineering Intern
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM17 September 2018
Merrick's culture provided a great foundation for an intern to grow and take part in some very interesting designs. Work day was flexible and family oriented.
Good place to work, worked with good people.
E/M ENGINEER - Creo 2.0, ITAR and EAR Standards (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TN17 June 2018
I was there as a contractor, when the work was done I was gone.

They expected you to be professional and do your work in a timely maner. The leadership knew their stuff was always available to answer questions.
Fun place to work. Good people. Workplace supportive.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NM21 November 2017
Flex time with the normal being 7:30-4:30 or 8:00-5:00.
Good with working moms/dads.
Good with school schedules.
Promotes empolyees within company.
Raises aboce average.
Pros
1 hour lunch option to leave the building and work out.
Cons
Worked some Federal holidays.
Employee sustained Wages versus Corporate Profits
Electro/Mechanical Design Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TN16 October 2017
I wish they had overlapping projects so that when one finished another would start. They should treat people with more dignity and respect by having continued projects and care more about the people that being under budget. Most corporations will overlap design projects in the best interest of having long term employees, but that has changed over the years, with corporate profits versus what the people need to make ends meet, higher wages always helps an economy.
Mnagement disconnect
Data Analyst and Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO7 September 2017
Management makes 4x as much as an analyst or tech and are super disconnected. Benefits are ok but nothing special. There is a a rift between management and other employees.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
management
Great Little Company
Sr. Project QA Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NM11 August 2017
I've worked at Merrick for a year now and am very happy with this company. The management team is very engaged with the work force. The overall team atmosphere is very supportive of every employee. I can't see myself leaving without an extremely good reason.
Design Contractor
Civil Leader (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TN 378305 June 2017
Merrick had a design contract for a large energy company in Oak Ridge Tennessee. This branch office has a professional staff that was hard working and dedicated to customer service.
Productive and fun place to work....
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CO2 June 2017
However, that depends on which department you are working in and who the supervisor is.

Generally speaking tho, I would recommend working at Merrick.
Productive job very fast paced
Temporary Assignment (Current Employee) –  Waco tx27 March 2017
Productive company fast paced job although somtimes it can be challenging it is a lot of different assignments every two hrs we get moved to a different assignment.we work with cups bowls plates hangers . we label put in boxes and tape up. Put on palets. Very busy job. As a team we reach or requirements by getting the job done.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great company and people!
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC6 September 2016
I have worked at the Charlotte, NC office for almost 3 years now and I can assure you this is a great place to work.

The office atmosphere is fun but professional, and the employees are like family. Salary is very competitive, work schedule is flexible, and the managers are knowledgeable and understanding. Great opportunity to gain experience in multiple areas of civil design with a good mix of commercial/residential/public work. If you get the chance to apply for a job here, I would definitely take it.
Pros
Free lunches, fun work environment, flexible schedule, great employees, solid company
Below average firm...
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CO10 July 2015
I spent about 17 years at Merrick and worked my way up to eventually hold a senior management position. It was in my later years that I discovered that Merrick is infiltrated with many unsavory individuals in middle and upper management who portray themselves as funny, outgoing, and trust worthy, but, in reality, once you see their dark side, your perception of them changes dramatically. The politics and back stabbing that happens at the upper middle and senior management levels by several people, including the current COO is very disturbing. Additionally, the company has fallen on hard times over the past several years with huge layoffs. Those that weren't laid off saw the writing on the wall and left on their own accord to better firms. Pay raises and bonuses were suspended (except for upper management), and the matching 401k was taken away as well. If you have other options for employment I encourage you to pursue them in lieu of Merrick. Honestly, I think you'll end up regretting it if you sign on with them.
Pros
Some team members were fun to work with.
Cons
Very Political middle and upper management.
Does not live up to the hype
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GA23 April 2015
The web site looks good and they talk up a good game, but once your are on the inside you discover a company overrun with people willing to throw others under the bus to advance their self serving agendas at the middle and upper management level. There were some good folks that I worked with (mainly in the trenches that actually do work), but most have moved on also because of this culture. Those who go the extra mile are rarely recognized unless it is of direct benefit to those at the top. Employee moral is low and turnover is high - need I say more?
Pros
Interesting work at times
Cons
Low to average pay, health insurance below par for a company this size, retirement plan will be suspended at will if company is not making enough money
Difficult environment for Architects
Architect (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, Colorado17 June 2014
Management perceives Architecture as an ancillary entity needed to support its Engineering efforts. Marketing excludes the pursuit of Architectural jobs and a lot of Architecture work is farmed out to outside firms. The office is a Project Management centric firm leaving little to no room for creative solutions or contact with clients. Work load varies greatly month to month due to client being the US government and marketing unable to pursue work beyond the US Government. Firm is not set up to pursue outside work and susceptible to frequent layoffs and hiring exercises. Management will not hesitate to lay people off at the first sign of slow down, which is often. A lot of good people work there but firm is incredibly top heavy with large overhead structure in place.
Pros
Alot of good people work there, Salaries are above normal
Cons
Management. Marketing effort is short sighted. Frequent layoffs.
Professional Organization for Engineering Services
Project Control Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NM29 December 2013
A typical day at work was busy and productive.
Over the years I started by entering time sheets and progressed in many area ending as a Project Control Analyst III.
Open door type management.
Co-workers worked in a team environment with the main goal was to provide excellent services to clients.
The hardest part of the job with the fast pace work involved.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the good working relationships with co-workers.
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, Tennessee28 November 2013
A typical day at work:
What you learned:
Management:
Co-workers:
The hardest part of the job:
The most enjoyable part of the job:
Design Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CO3 November 2013
Merrick is committed to the success of its employees.
The work is challenging and rewarding.
There are many opportunities to volunteer and participate in activities outside of work at the corporate headquarters location.
Good group of people
Architect II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX29 July 2013
I learned a lot in the short time I was with Merrick. I really enjoyed the team I worked with.
Pros
I worked with good people
Cons
Architecture group not very well supported by corporate
average place to work
Architect III (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, Colorado12 July 2013
Excellent Staff, To much overhead staff, poor management. Management is unaware of the work that is accomplished by staff and has a tendency to layoff from income staff and not from overhead-to many leaders. Working with the clients and fellow workers a plus, management a negative

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merrick & Company. Our community is ready to answer.