Merlin Plastics Employee Reviews

Horrible horrible
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Queensborough, BC11 October 2019
Although I spent 4 yrs working with this company it was the absolute WORST job that I have EVER had. There are rats, flies, spiders and dusty cobbwebs everywhere. Forklift drivers are so dangerous they speed and dont honk around corners I witnessed a few accidents during my employment. Plant manager will do and say ANYTHING to WCB to make sure claims are denied. Bales are stacked improper and very high so at times tip over almost hitting ppl simply walking past. The pay sucks for the jobs they want you to do. EXTREMELY high turn over rate due to poor working conditions and pay. Maintenance crew is always new hires so knowlage of machinery is VERY limited. Very few ticketed lots of first year apprentices. Basically the only good thing about this place is the free lunch.
Worst place to work ever
Machine Operator Baler (Former Employee) –  Queensborough, BC27 August 2019
Absolutely the worst place that I have EVER worked plant manager won't take blame for things he tells you to do then they don't end up working out (well duh tried to tell ya that) thinks he knows better then ticketed tradesperson. Very understaffed have to work in smelly gross rat infested environment very short break 10 min coffee 30 min lunch that's it 30min lunch
terrible manager .and use HR as sheild. dangerous toxic environment
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC22 July 2019
so many incidents/ accidents, plant is a filthy disgusting plastic dust particulate environment. Plant manager at new westminster is a slob/liar. Misleading , liar, mixed messages. If you get hurt by accident, expect toxic litigation, from HR under the direction of plant manager. They don't care about your health and safety . Millwrights spend most of the time cleaning garbage. Welders build useless things under direction of plant manager, example, like relocating big giant useless rack to outside from inside that could be dangerous, I hope a forklift does NOT hit and topple the useless 30 ft rack outside and kill someone. Why is it there?The forklifts only reach 12 ft height. yet plant manager puts a 30 ft rack outside to store things? I don't understand.why is it there? why? because manager has no previous experience in a plant. Merlin is the worst place I have ever worked. Plant manager changes game plan on impulse in a toxic way blames other people constantly for his problems,then only talks about other people as if he knows better than the accredited tradespeople. Plant manager ideas are infantile, moronic, shortsighted and even pernicious.HR are good soldiers to slob manager.#don't deserve better if they cannot stand up him. Plant toilets in men's room have been in disrepair for months. #To the CEO..Find new plant manager with previous plant experience. #drop the slob .
Pros
the only pro was I quit
Dangerous workplace
Millwright (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC8 July 2019
Working there for 1 month I’m honestly surprised that no one has been killed or seriously hurt, management has tried to send me into confined spaces without paper work or the regular safety procedures you would take to do so. You have workers walking back and forth behind loaders and it doesn’t seem to concern anyone there that someone could be run over and killed. I’ve seen people being taught all the wrong ways on how to unjam the shredders and conveyors.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Management doesn’t know how to manage a single thing
Wow, just wow!
Lead Hand/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC23 June 2019
HR does not know what they are doing. Not professional, not educated in HR or just not good at it.
Management not any better, they do not understand the labor market or how to treat people. Someone would have to be desperate to work here.
Awful
Member of health and safety committee (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC8 April 2019
Filthy, smelly, dangerous, management is awful. A lot of rats. Locker room isn’t a safe place for anything. Things get stolen. Work environment is terrible
Pros
Cons
Too many
Bad just bad
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island Delta31 March 2019
The traffic getting to this place is ridiculous you don't get a 40 Hour Work Week. The wages we're up to 18 bucks an hour and now they've dropped them back down to 15 and 16 again. 😂😂
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC3 March 2019
Sorter happy with my job
Sorter (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC12 February 2019
I am a sorter currently working for the company
I had issues with a fellow employee, I asked my Plant manager for help and right away he moved my position and put me on a separate shift then had a meeting with that other employee
I feel when i have an issue Management helps
sometimes its the fellow employees that need a kick in the head
dont blame it on the management.
Pros
management
Cons
stupid employees
Yard worker (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC9 November 2018
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Neeeesinster6 November 2018
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC5 October 2018
Worker (Former Employee) –  351 gifford29 August 2018
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC13 April 2018
Just great!
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC23 November 2017
Love working for this company! Lots of variety and the people working there seem very nice and helpful. I was able to get to know, and made friends, with many people.
Pros
Good management and supervisors
Cons
Nothing I can think of
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
BEST Company!!
Sorter / General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Gifford7 January 2017
Been working there as a sorter, and absolutely enjoyed it!

It is a team work type of environment, which is what I enjoy.
Everyone is super friendly, and the company really cares about the health and safety of its employees!
Pros
Health and Safety is being taking seriously, family type of culture, very helpful especially when you're new
Cons
Old building and machines, but you'll get used to it
Very good place to work, very fast paced
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC9 November 2016
This company has just opened it's all changing. Manegment is very understanding and is willing to help you as much as they can. The work can be challenging but with a little motivation and. Drive it's a place you can succeed.
Pros
There will always be work
Cons
Can be smelly
Nice Place Fast Pace
General Laborer & Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC30 October 2016
This place is a very fast-pace past environment which makes your day seem very short which I like. Machines seem to be state of the art which they keep changing and upgrading to make better. Coworkers are very friendly and a fun bunch to be with once they get to know you.

I know other people have said management don't care about employees but I don't see that at all. I have worked in other plants and this one the management seem to care a lot about the employees. They have had Free Hot Days for everyone, on your birthday everyone gets cake and even office staff come and sing Happy Birthday to you. They even had a mustache contest where the winner got a gift card and won pizza for their whole shift, Even Halloween contest where everyone gets a prize that dresses up and the have 1st, 2nd, 3rd place prizes. Management have always said hi to me and have stopped and talked/joked around with me on many occasions.

It is a fast-paced place so I can see it may not be for everyone. If you like keeping busy and work hard I feel it's a great place to work as coworkers and management are nice plus best of all you help the environment.
Pros
Great people, help environment, managers, hot dog days, birthday cakes
Cons
smell at times, forklifts
Productive and friendly
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2016
Monday -Friday,some overtime on weekend.To much noise and bad smell.Enjoyable part is Good team leaders and friendly people in every team.You learn all matter concerning making plastics flakes.Hard part is speed,for those sorting bottles or loading balls.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Changing shift Day-Night

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merlin Plastics. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1