Merit Travel Group Inc. Employee Reviews

I've learned a lot
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 January 2019
There has been a lot learned about booking flights and the GDS system they use. The location of the office is central in Mississauga which is very convenient.
Management needs a shake up
Specialized Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2018
Management is lacking. Bloated not a lot of help. Pay is not that great for what you are doing. Clients seems angry at having to use the service. Co workers are really great people.
Pros
downtown, work from home option
Cons
Managers. Bloated managment style. Clients unhappy.
Don't do it
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  London ont3 May 2017
Save yourself the time and energy for this company. The management or lack there of will not help you. If you do not have your own clientele you will not get any working there. The ladies have their own clients and new people never come in. If you need training for their program they will not teach you. You will have to figure it out on your own. Hardest mentally draining environment I have experience. Good luck
Pros
The hours
Cons
No commission
Great place to grow
Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto18 April 2017
Great place to work. Lots of opportunity to grow and learn about the industry and business in general. Very respectful management with generous benefits and bonuses.
Great for college students!
Consultant Support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2017
Fun place for a part time job with Bosses who treat you with respect despite being at a lower position. Great working environment! Went through College with the money earned there!
productive and fun work place that is customer oriented
Airdesk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
At Merit Travel I had the opportunity to improve my knowledge and skills due to various scenarios and to provide a friendly and efficient service to my colleagues.
Pros
flexible hours
I am happy with my job.
Travel Consultant/Adventure Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2015
Good place to work, steady hours. Get to do something different every day. Good co-workers. Salary is okay but the perks are great!
liked working with the emplyees
Corporate Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2014
worked typical hours from 830 - 500
learned different programs that had to do with my job
liked working with the co-workers, and had some fun times with them
the hardest part of the job was there would be some kind of crisis and it would cause some chaotic times
the most enjoyable times would be when our whole division would get together once a year for a annual conference and we get to see other co-workers that work from home or other offices
Pros
potlucks were great
Cons
location
Great family atmosphere for a company this size
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2013
As a small business turned into a nation-wide company, Merit has made great strides. Challenging times are overcome by great Management, and the general atmosphere makes for an awesome working environment.
Great environment, friendly coworkers, all about travel!
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  canada23 August 2013
Working with young energetic individuals, that are all passionate about travel, you learn a lot about people and different places around the world.
On a day to day basis every day is different, planning trips for clients, making sure they receive good value and a meaningful experience abroad.
This requires communcation with tour operators, airlines, hotels, insurance companies and sometimes embassies. As well as administrative duties such as client databases, invoicing, providing copies of policies and procedures.
planifier le temps nécessaire pour mener à bien les activités.
Réceptionniste administrative (Former Employee) –  Montréal1 June 2013
"j'offre un bon service à la clientèle"

Organisation de tous les documents voyages
Commander Les catalogues des Agences de Voyages
Mise à jour des factures travail de bureau
Réception et répartition des appels (60 appels par jour )
Classement, faire la distribution du courrier .
Assurer le service à la clientèle et prise des rendez-vous
pour les clients en possession les Cartes de crédit CIBC pour échange points de voyage avec la carte Aventura CIBC World Elite MasterCard.
Pros
Autres fonctions reliées à Poste Canada, Purolator, Loumar Express Post etc. Facturation sur Amadeus Vista.
productive and fun work place
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 May 2013
A typical day at Travel Cuts is making sure you are up to date on everything such as World News to know whats going on outside of our office and so we also have more knowledge to give our clients. And also of course to keep up to date on clients profiles and making sure to follow up on them before and after their trip, flight, tour, etc... I learn something new every day! For instance the best routes to take on journeys to say like Sydney, Australia. My co-workers are very easy to get along with and work with. They are very patient and answer any questions I may have in detail or just tell me random facts and bits of information that I may need later on in the business. The hardest part of the job for me is to overcome objections because I really want to make the sale. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I help someoone get on their flight home or go on their dream vacation.
Pros
doing something I love to do (plan trips!)
Cons
Can become long or exhausting days
Horrible Experience
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON5 August 2012
I was hired on to work for a travel CUTS in Ontario and it was what I call a dream crusher.
Its hard these days to find a good travel agent job as the internet allows everyone access to book their own travel plans, so naturally I was excited to get the job.
The hours offered to me sounded great 9-5 mon-fri and of course they offered some great vacation incentives after 3 mths.
The pay was almost minimum wage with a quota attached, but the offer of receiving commission after the quota was met sounded great.
The first day of work I was informed they would be cutting my hours from 40 to 20 for the first 2 months due to the fact it was slow season. They informed me they would have told me in my interview but they had JUST decided this.
At around my 3 mth mark I was told I needed to go out of town to head office and meet the staff, downtown Toronto and I MUST stay at the Hilton across the street but not to worry because they had a corporate account and the room would be paid for. Also that I needed to take the train there and they would reimburse me.
I told them I was not so comfortable going to a city alone without my car available to me.
When I arrived at the hotel I was informed there was no reservation for me and that I would need to give them a $600 deposit for my room. Which I didnt have due to the fact they were only paying min wage for 20 hrs a week.
After calling my manager on her cell phone after hrs she told me that someone must have forgot to fax the papers in, but that she was in bed and there was nothing she could do about the issue.
She told me to just come up with
  more... the $600 or basically sleep in my car.
She offered no numbers to contacts in the Toronto area and I was so happy I did not take the train. At this point I was asking myself what kind of Travel Agency forgets to book the hotel for their own employees.. I really couldnt afford a hotel so I decided to drive home.
I got fired the next day for not showing up to training.
Pros
steady days
Cons
poor management
Great place to work with great employees
Sales Associate/Campus rep (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 July 2012
I loved working at Travel Cuts. The manager and all of the staff there were extremely fun and helpful. It is a really good team environment in an industry that can be very competitive. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
i love to travel and promote travel so it was a dream job
Cons
not a great salary, very few travel related perks compared to other travel agencies