Merit Travel Group Inc.

Merit Travel Group Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada23 reviews
Merit bought company I worked for. There was no interview, all staff were kept on.
This is not a time to be seeking a job, working on minimal hours and industry not expected to recover this year.
It was a good experience working for CIBC rewards Center.I have learned customer experience and customer satisfaction The primary difference being that all of your customer interactions happen on the phone,Call center life is hard work, but the hardest things in life are usually the most rewarding.
Merit Travel is a stable company, but circumstances make it hard to return to the industry as it used to be.
I really enjoy working there, as it is always open to ideas and suggestions to improve processes.
I worked for over 10 years with Merit. The CEO and vice president were the best people ever. There was a gap between the CEO/Vice president and agents. That gap is where the management was utterly useless, I must say. They were only concerned with their well-being and very rude and inconsiderate of others. On the bright side, the agents were very professional and experienced and I enjoyed working alongside them. I gained a lot of friends and job experience at Merit.
Very stressful job and the objectives are very hard to obtain...The shifts are awful... It is very hard to combine personal life and profesional life, the management is very poor
They always had contest and competitions going on, a great team environment where everyone felt like they were heard. There is always laughter in the main office, food and video games as well.
Pros
Excellent Team, Good attitude, happy environment
Cons
No living wage
Friendly working environment. Employees work as a team which helps to the productivity and success of the company. Merit is focused on customer service.
Employees can take advantage of familiarization trips for better knowledge of product.
Busy environment with a lot of last minute requests.

Decent people.

Pay and benefits are below industry standards.

Corporate reorganization underway, so things are in flux.
Nice team at the branch was employed at.
Heavy stress to sell, sell, sell.

Required to attend outside sales events and promotions.

Competition amongest travel consultants can be stressful.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Heavy sales pressure
There has been a lot learned about booking flights and the GDS system they use. The location of the office is central in Mississauga which is very convenient.
Management is lacking. Bloated not a lot of help. Pay is not that great for what you are doing. Clients seems angry at having to use the service. Co workers are really great people.
Pros
downtown, work from home option
Cons
Managers. Bloated managment style. Clients unhappy.
Save yourself the time and energy for this company. The management or lack there of will not help you. If you do not have your own clientele you will not get any working there. The ladies have their own clients and new people never come in. If you need training for their program they will not teach you. You will have to figure it out on your own. Hardest mentally draining environment I have experience. Good luck
Pros
The hours
Cons
No commission
Great place to work. Lots of opportunity to grow and learn about the industry and business in general. Very respectful management with generous benefits and bonuses.
Fun place for a part time job with Bosses who treat you with respect despite being at a lower position. Great working environment! Went through College with the money earned there!
At Merit Travel I had the opportunity to improve my knowledge and skills due to various scenarios and to provide a friendly and efficient service to my colleagues.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Good place to work, steady hours. Get to do something different every day. Good co-workers. Salary is okay but the perks are great!
worked typical hours from 830 - 500
learned different programs that had to do with my job

liked working with the co-workers, and had some fun times with them

the hardest part of the job was there would be some kind of crisis and it would cause some chaotic times

the most enjoyable times would be when our whole division would get together once a year for a annual conference and we get to see other co-workers that work from home or other offices
Pros
potlucks were great
Cons
location
As a small business turned into a nation-wide company, Merit has made great strides. Challenging times are overcome by great Management, and the general atmosphere makes for an awesome working environment.
Working with young energetic individuals, that are all passionate about travel, you learn a lot about people and different places around the world.
On a day to day basis every day is different, planning trips for clients, making sure they receive good value and a meaningful experience abroad.

This requires communcation with tour operators, airlines, hotels, insurance companies and sometimes embassies. As well as administrative duties such as client databases, invoicing, providing copies of policies and procedures.
"j'offre un bon service à la clientèle"

Organisation de tous les documents voyages

Commander Les catalogues des Agences de Voyages

Mise à jour des factures travail de bureau

Réception et répartition des appels (60 appels par jour )

Classement, faire la distribution du courrier .

Assurer le service à la clientèle et prise des rendez-vous

pour les clients en possession les Cartes de crédit CIBC pour échange points de voyage avec la carte Aventura CIBC World Elite MasterCard.

Pros
Autres fonctions reliées à Poste Canada, Purolator, Loumar Express Post etc. Facturation sur Amadeus Vista.
A typical day at Travel Cuts is making sure you are up to date on everything such as World News to know whats going on outside of our office and so we also have more knowledge to give our clients. And also of course to keep up to date on clients profiles and making sure to follow up on them before and after their trip, flight, tour, etc... I learn something new every day! For instance the best routes to take on journeys to say like Sydney, Australia. My co-workers are very easy to get along with and work with. They are very patient and answer any questions I may have in detail or just tell me random facts and bits of information that I may need later on in the business. The hardest part of the job for me is to overcome objections because I really want to make the sale. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I help someoone get on their flight home or go on their dream vacation.
Pros
doing something I love to do (plan trips!)
Cons
Can become long or exhausting days