Merchandising Consultants Associates (MCA)
Happiness score is 76 out of 100

Merchandising Consultants Associates (MCA) Employee Reviews

Canada74 reviews

Flexible

There is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning when trying to find items in the store but once you figured out where everything is you'll be fine. My manager was very understanding and gave me tips to get up to pace and meet the deadline. I worked with the company tablet which was quite simple to use. I enjoyed how flexible the hours were. I could also pick up extra hours if I needed to. Mostly worked independently which was very nice. You are on your feet the whole time though.

Pros

independent work, flexible hours

Cons

slight learning curve in the beginning

22 March 2022
Thank you for your review! Our managers are committed to providing our reps with the help and support they need and we’re happy to hear your manager was able to encourage and help you. We are also glad to hear that the independent nature and flexibility of the job has worked out for you.

Great company so far!

Management has been great time lines are fair and work life balance is decent.Everything has been well laid out. Lots of variety as far as product lines and vendors.

22 March 2022
Thank you for your review! We value our friendly, family culture at MCA. Our Managers and Supervisors are always willing to help as well as ensure that all of our reps feel included and respected. MCA undertakes a variety of different projects which results in unique and exciting work for our reps. We are glad you enjoyed your time with MCA!

Insights into Merchandising Consultants Associates (MCA)

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Very productive and organized

This company is great! Well recommended!This company has a great work culture and is very easy to fit into. Everyone apart the team is well included and willing to help at all times.

20 January 2022
Thank you for your review! We value our friendly, family culture at MCA. Our Managers and Supervisors are always willing to help as well as ensure that all of our reps feel included and respected. We are glad you enjoyed your time with MCA.

Great company to work for!

I started with this company as a merchandising rep and have gone from working for a mom & pop organization to the company it is today!This company is Cutting Edge, Hip, Always striving to be better than they were yesterday.They are an international company that has definitely made their mark in the industry and I'm very proud to be working for this company. As big as we are, we are still family at heart.

14 January 2022
Thank you for your review! MCA is always striving to grow and develop. We value our friendly, family culture and are each other’s biggest cheerleaders. We are glad that you feel part of the MCA family.

Nice people to work with

Ok place to work for but not organised with Walmart it can be stresseful at time. And hard on your body and you work at night and could be fixed to work better with Walmart.

Pros

Hours

Cons

organization

14 January 2022
At MCA, we take great pride in our partnerships with our clients, always striving to work smarter and more efficiently to bring our client’s retail vision to life. Some projects can be quite physical and may require working overnight to ensure the least amount of disruption to the customers shopping experience. We work hard to match the right person to the right role. We would be happy to discuss opportunities that may better suit your current circumstances. Please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

Productive and Inclusive workplace with outstanding managers

I was a co-op student at MCA for 4 months, and I had a wonderful time working for the company. The managers were very kind and understanding and the office had a very positive atmosphere. The workload was fair and managers were always open to new ideas. I learned a lot during my time at this company and gained many new skills. I highly recommend taking a job here if it is offered to you.

Pros

Flexible hours, great staff, positive environment, fun company lunches

14 January 2022
Thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoyed your time at MCA. We strive to be an inclusive workplace that provides everyone with an equal opportunity to grow and develop. At MCA we play as a Team, building each other up to succeed. We are so pleased that you experienced this during your time with us! We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

merchandiser

only got 5 days of work from them, never had a contract to sign, no proper training given, poor communication, never met supervisor as they were on sight elsewhere

14 January 2022
Given the nature of the role for an independent contractor, work is determined on a call-by-call basis by our clients. Our managers are committed to providing our reps with the training and support they need. We are always open to hearing how we can do better, so please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

It worth it to work there!

The people who work there are very respectful for everyone. It isn’t boring cause everyday you have different locations and tasks. They reimburse for parking and commuting. It was the best experience in Canada!!

4 October 2021
Thank you for your review! We will pass your feedback along to the DM for Vancouver. Our managers are committed to providing our reps with the help and support they need, so we are so happy to hear that you've felt respected. We are glad you had such a pleasant experience at MCA!

Inconsistent hours but flexible scheduling, great if you are looking for something casual

For the most part it was an alright job, you get told what to do and via forms you download off of the companies online portal and do exactly what it says and you'll have no issues. One of the positives of their pay model is that most of the projects are paid at a flat rate for the tasks so if you are able to do those projects in a more expedited manner you can do rather well. My direct manager was always helpful and understanding when it came to questions or issues I was having with the job and is much of the reason I stayed with the company as long as I did, however I cannot say the same for upper management as often times inquires to them would not be responded to for days if not weeks.As far as negatives go there are a handful depending on what you are looking for. The hours could vary by quite a bit week by week, sometimes from 5 hours a week up to 35 hours the next week which made it difficult to balance with other obligations at times. I also found that the job could be rather lonely at times as you don't really have coworkers that you work with on a consistent basis, so if you look to work as a place to meet people and work on a team this might not be right for you. Finally often times projects require assistance from store staff in order to complete them and depending on the staff on duty and the level of busyness in the store at the time of your visit it can be rather difficult if not impossible to complete these tasks which can be a frustrating situation if you feel otherwise competent at the work, so it's a good idea to build a positive working relationship with -

Pros

Paid travel, Flexible schedule

Cons

Poor communication from upper management, inconsistent hours, Lack of coworkers/team, often at the whims of instore management/staff

14 January 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Work is project-based, therefore weekly hours do vary, but we strive to allot all work fairly amongst reps. It seems that you enjoyed the flexibility and variety of the role. During our reline season, we have great team camaraderie. Contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca if you would like to join one of our teams.

Fun Job but Communication Needs Work

I really enjoyed the team atmosphere when resetting stores. The team lead was either ill prepared or not properly trained. She offered more work assignments but failed to mention that the pay was $4.00 an hour less. She also did not input my hours for a full day assignment. I had to contact her supervisor three times before I was paid for that day. When I did receive payment, I was not paid for mileage which was a two hours total drive time.

Pros

Fun Team Atmosphere

Cons

Poorly Organized Team Lead

23 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time as part of a reset team at MCA. It concerns us that you had issues with the team lead, as we ensure that our team leads are well set up before going into store. We would like to understand where the disconnect was. We are always open to hearing how we can do better, so please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

Easy going

A nice part-time easy-going job that you can pretty much do on your own schedule. You’re given a window of time to have each job completed within your territory for submission. Management was easy to work for.

Pros

Great schedule

Cons

A lot of small jobs that you have to drive around to each of the different businesses to complete.

7 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback! Our managers are committed to providing our reps with the help and support they need. We are glad to hear that the flexibility of the job has worked out for you.

low pay overall not good

spotty schedule costs you to work there, no future, no time to complete assignment throughly, technology is ancient and administrative duties are not fairly compensated on your own time.

30 April 2021
Thank you for your feedback. Work is project-based, and each call has paid administrative time built into it. We offer competitive compensation along with paid training and paid mileage commensurate with current gas prices. And do not forget the flexibility to decide how and when you work to fit around your life. We are always open to hearing how we can do better, so please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

Stay away

Terrible communication from manager. On two occasions I was heading to a job only to find it was postponed or cancelled, not advised.After I resigned I found that I wasn't going to be paid for some completed tasks.Leadership is non-existent. Never met a manager. Work is overseen by people who have no leadership skills or training.

Pros

Self directed

Cons

Everything else

20 April 2021
Thank you for your feedback. During these difficult times, it can happen that a visit is cancelled due to fixtures not arriving at stores on time, or new lockdown rules limit what can be achieved in stores. We endeavour to give at least 24 hours notice of any changes. If an MCA Rep is already in transit to a call when we are notified of a cancellation or rescheduling, the Rep is duly compensated for the call.MCA pays for all completed tasks, as long as they are reported on the system and all information and photos are uploaded. MCA Management has extensive experience and possess a very good understanding of the role and the support needed for the field. Our managers are also very dedicated to keeping close contact with our field force in the more remote areas.

Productive and collaborative company that cares about its employees

I worked for MCA on cosmetic relines for 2 years in a row. Throughout the time I worked for them, I was well-trained and paid well for the work I did. I maintained a good number of hours. The managers were supportive and if I had the opportunity, I would work for them again!

8 November 2020
Thank you for your review! We will pass your feedback along to the DM for Hamilton. Our managers are committed to providing our reps with the training and support they need, so we are so happy to hear your story! We will be hiring again for cosmetic relines in the next month or so, so please feel free to reach out to your previous manager or email us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca - we would love to have you back!

Amazing

Highly supportive environment! Good for a part time supplementary gig, work is fairly consistent and management is supportive as well. They have always been helpful and friendly, especially with me because I ask SO many questions!

Pros

Interesting projects

Cons

I have to do my own taxes!

29 September 2020
Thank you for your review! We will pass your feedback along to the DM for Duncan. Our managers are committed to providing our reps with the help and support they need, so we are so happy to hear that you've felt supported and heard!

Being able to choose days and hours you want to work is very helpful when you have a family. Sometimes even with training information given was not enough to complete the assignment. When travelling I do not feel we were paid sufficiently, we were not paid for our driving time, which was necessary in able to complete our assignments.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

not enough training for some assignments

29 September 2020
Thanks for your review and feedback! We’re happy to hear that the flexibility of the job has been working for you as we pride ourselves on ensuring our reps have a great work-life balance. We do compensate for travel and we are committed to providing competitive compensation for all of our reps so we will take your feedback into consideration.

My Opinion

I have met 1 manager in person, and she is amazing. If I had more sales experience, I would take on more with her.I have done 1 other job with another supervisor/manager, and communication was awful, there was none. At. All. I have started another project with another manager, and again, communication, is awful. Emails aren't read, conversations aren't heard, its rather frustrating because these people are supposed to be there to "lead and direct" me. I cant do my job efficiently, if I cant communicate with my leader. I have management experience, and I know what you need to do to succeed and to help others succeed, so far, that is lacking.Sorry, because I was looking for a long term full time opportunity with the company, and this doesn't help me achieve that goal. Which sucks for me.

Pros

Great job, easy, flexible

Cons

No communication

14 January 2022
We would like to understand where the disconnect was with your experience. We are always open to hearing how we can do better, so please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

running around in stores to find the price

I worked fir them for 6 months ,no training ,some information which doesn’t help , because in store it is total different . You are looking for prices , compare with flair, we have to calculate , dividend , etc to have the right price plus They pay only $ 15.00 , and to do around 400 items in 3 hours no more .if takes note then 3 hours to finish of course they will not psy , no milage paid , from store to the other , Psy will be late not what they said , ( if you do some mistake in price then you have to do again no pay ) they take you for granted , no wander people comes and goes, after few weeks or months . Do I recommend , on my opinion No , if the Individual want to work for nothing , running around without pay, sure go ahead .

Pros

Cons

No training properly in regard of prices, work stand on your feet more then 6 hours to finish the work, no pay more then 3 hours no pay milage .

21 October 2020
We would like to understand where the disconnect was with your experience. We do compensate reps for their mileage and pay for the total time spent in store working on our projects. We are always open to hearing how we can do better, so please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

Unprofessional and Deceptive

Stay as far away as possible, from this joke outfit, unless you like to be taken advantage of, poor pay, very poor management, the supervisor in the east coast is a complete loser, no management skills at all, thinks she is all that, far from it, they are retail morons, could never get a real job. The so called Sales Manager is a twerp, has the small man's Napolean complex. Their biggest customer told me they have a nasty nick name for him, however never told me. No training, they lie, you need to constantly check your pay, they will short change you...a year ago they paid 46 cents a km, then went to 36, now their 33...and your first and last call must be 50 or more km's.

Pros

Sorry not a one

Cons

Unprofessional, Unethical

7 July 2020
We would like to understand where the disconnect was with your experience. MCA's sales management team have extensive experience and have a very good understanding of the role and the support needed for the field. The communication forums set up to share issues, ideas and experiences are very regular and open to all. We offer paid training, competitive wages and our compensation for mileage is commensurate with current gas prices. At MCA, we pride ourselves on ‘playing the ball and not the man.’ Please feel free to email us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca and we will connect you with the appropriate person to discuss the facts of your claims. We are always willing to listen, learn and adapt.

Great atmosphw

Great management plenty of work the hourly rate is minimum but it is far better than no money The directives lay out the project requirements and must be adhered to

Pros

Plenty of work great management

Cons

Low wage

7 August 2020
Thank you for your review! We will pass your feedback along to the DM for Fraser Valley Regional District. We are committed to providing competitive compensation for all of our reps and will take your feedback into consideration.

see below

Not for the serious job hunter, this company will nickle and dime you. No paid mileage, lack of sufficient hours makes if very difficult to plan/budget your earnings as they vary greatly from one month to the next. If you have a mortgage, then this is not the job for you. Great for retirees who just want to get out of the house for a few hours. Earning from the job, will not affect your pension because the hours are so inconsistent.

Pros

Cons

no travel time or mileage paid ever

7 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We do compensate reps for mileage to stores, and since the work is project-based, weekly hours do vary, but we strive to allot all work fairly amongst reps. We are always growing our business, so more hours are sure to come! We are always open to hearing how we can do better, so please feel free to contact us at greatplacetowork@mca.ca

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merchandising Consultants Associates (MCA). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Merchandising Consultants Associates (MCA) with

• Merchandising Consultants Associates (MCA)