Menzies Aviation Employee Reviews

Found 92 reviews matching the search See all 1,277 reviews
This Job Is Not For Everyone!
Ramp Agent, Lead Ramp Agant, CNX Runner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 May 2019
I worked here for over 3yrs. Towards the later half of my employment, 'management', would put me, my job and crew at risk of losing our jobs everyday.

They were operating outside of their guidelines and when I approached them about it several times it was swept under the rug.

It wasn't until I was fed up with the risk of not only myself but of others when I decided to call it quits. I couldn't bare the responsibility of something happening that was out of my hands.

Everyone's experience will be different I can say that.
If I had the opportunity to work here again would take it in a heart beat. Not every job will be easy but the issue here can be fixed with communication and eyes fixed on the prize.

You will not find a better airside company to start your aviation journey.

The pros out weigh the cons.
Its just a matter of 'what are you willing to put up with'.

What will you stand for.

Wish you all the best and hope your opportunity goes better than mine.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for advancement, Plenty overtime, Benifits, Good People, No Harrassment, No Negitivity.
Cons
Management Organization, Communication, Favouritism.
Worst company! Stay away !!!
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 April 2019
First of all the management in the passenger service department at Pearson is trash!! They hate and discriminate minorities especially black people. They will fire you just for speaking up for yourself! They have roaches and bed bugs in the crew room where we are suppose to hang our coats. The station manager talks sexually in the office which is quite disgusting. The supervisors has to kiss up to the management or else their job is on the line as well. They will mess your pay check up and won’t pay you properly unless you track your punch in and outs. They harass us as black people eveyday there and I’m just glad I left. Worse company I’ve ever worked for!
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Racist and prejudice against minorities!
Company truly cares
Aviation Services and Airline Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON19 March 2019
Company truly cares about customer and employee experience. They have championed how to champion both realms to assure a positive balance meets operational standards.
Bad experience
Cargo Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 February 2019
I should have seen the warning signs from the beginning. No professional training just overworked exhausted colleagues too frustrated to train new hires. A constant high turn over rate and high amounts of overtime which you would have to keep track of since they make "mistakes". I agree with other comments. They don't like employee feedback it is perceived as complaining about things like nòt having a chair to sit on or not having a pen to write with. (They continued to claim they don't have the budget). Broken machinery, printers not working, computers not working, warehouse not up to the security standards. Some leads not leading by example, abusing their power and verbally abusing others. Pay isn't the greatest and no chance of raises even after years of working unless your the supervisor's bestfriend. Overall wouldn't recommend this job to anyone unless it's an in between job. Horrible, stressful experience.
Pros
Expierence in logistics.
Cons
Almost everything.
Stay away from this company, terrible place to work.....unrespectful lead/co workers
Cabin Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2019
This is a terrible place to work. I only have worked here for almost 2 months but had a horrible experience with co workers who has a habit of cussing. Have to give up work so soon! Was very uncomfortable, management is unfair! Forces ramp agents to work as groomers because they do not have enough staff members. Provide little to no training, and maintains a horrible/unrespectful work environment. This place needs to unionize as soon as possible to prevent workers from being exploited.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Schedule not flexible
Managers overworked, unable to establish proper expectations
Passenger Service Department (Former Employee) –  Canada8 February 2019
Manager was very overworked and departments understaffed, leaving large gaps of miscommunications and misunderstanding. Human resorces lack support for onboarding, training, or scheduling organization with no essential items such as company emails or training structures were giving. No initial start time, end time or genetal day to day schedule was set out. The expectation was not clear as to personal time vs company time. Low work/life balance.

Employees were competent, helpful and informative, however almost daily issues with attendance. Due to the nature of the industry and business, higher than average compensation and occasional overtime available. Great for part time work around part time/online/summer post secondary education. Non management/supervisory possitions were unionized.

All factors leading to high turn over of staff, lowered morale, higher stress of current employees.
Pros
Higher than average pay, occasional overtime available
Cons
Constant split shifts, no scheduled shifts, lack of communication/genetal support, low work/life balance
Big Zero Management, Zero safety
Fuel Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  YYZ4 February 2019
If you are a butt kisser, whiner or backstabber you will go far here. If you are an honest hard working employee, they will break your spirit and your body then toss you aside to make room for their next victim,
risky environment, poor payments.
Pros
nothing
Horrible place to work.
Refueler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2019
I was let go 2 days prior to my probation being finished. Was let go because of someone didn't like me and it wasnt because of my job performance. Very childish mentality from the management. They are unwilling to fight for good employees. Poor wages and the union is brutal. The union has done more damage in fighting for better wages. Many other places starting wages are at least a minimum $20.00 per hour to start on most air fields. This company needs to catch up with the times and offer better wages and get rid of shift bidding. The need to accommodate for good employees with better hours. I am not sure about the benefits but if any indication that they won't get there wages up to better standards, pretty sure that their benefits suck too. Keep the employees happy, and they will work harder for you.Too much of a "we have always done it this way." Management screams at you if you delay a flight or have an error. No back up.
Pros
Training was okay. Weekly pay check.
Cons
Childish mentality of management. Union dues that crush a pay check. Too many problems to count.
A poor place to work
Aircraft Refueler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2019
The company expects mandatory overtime with little-to-no advanced notice, and threaten termination if you refuse the overtime even with a legitimate reason (such as school or another job), making it impossible to make plans in other aspects of your life. Scheduling has zero flexibility, pay is very poor, and the company do not seem to care about the needs of their employees.
Pros
Paid lunch, health benefits
Cons
Long hours, mandatory overtime with zero notice, poor pay
Employment Standard Violations and safety concerns
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
This is a terrible place to work. Menzies Sunwing division sometime forces ramp agents to do work that they are not assigned to because they do not have enough staff members. They regularly miscalculate pay, do not keep up with lunch breaks, provide little to no training, and maintain a horrible work environment. This place needs to unionize as soon as possible to prevent workers from being exploited.
Pros
You get to work with planes
Cons
There are too many to mention.
meh
SSE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 December 2018
3 different BU's, 3 different work cultures.

some bosses care, some don't

some people want to learn, others just want to work, without being trained.

some trainers, just want the title, don't want to do the work.
Worst upper management
Passenger service supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2018
Upper management is the worst I have ever encountered in 20 years of aviation. Rude, incompetent, high strung and entirely incapable of dealing with stressful situations. Zero loyalty toward staff, total disregard for any issues raised and no inclination to rectify problems. They claim to promote, and expect teamwork however, that doesn't apply to upper management who resort to insults and bullying when operations go sideways. If you want to work long hours in a toxic environment with no recognition or assistance, and you enjoy mental and emotional trauma, this is the place for you.
Cons
Easy lay off. Small mistakes mean big ones
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 December 2018
Okay I can’t even tell you but I’m starting to hate it. I know this job is life and death but come on a mistake is a mistake. I got my third strike which could mean termination or suspension. As I’ve read some of the comments. A person said that one mistake could humiliate and dock you for the whole day. It’s true I just got a third strike because a stroller with a blue tag fell off the belt. As I’ve explained to the supervisor. I told him once I putted the stroller facing down on its wheels. It started rolling a bit then once I’d let go it rolled all the way down and fell of the belt. He said that it was on purpose plus irresponsible. From my perspective it rolled a bit and plus mistakes are mistakes. Tomorrow I have to face punishment. For your information no one even saw the stroller fell down except my co workers. They all made a big deal about it. Huh one time I even heard a lead tried to push a plane and eventually hit the plane with the push. Never even got a warning that shi.....
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Excessive work, They want it perfect everytime no mistakes
soso
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Pearson, ON13 December 2018
The management is bad and the place is not organized, people spend half of the time looking for tools or chucks and there is lot'f of resting time but very slow pace
Unrealistic expectations
Supervisor & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2018
Under ASIG was a smoothly run company and management was really good with staff, caring about them and their families. Once Menzies came it was sad to see the company completely turn around.
Pros
Cheep Flights
Cons
Disrespectful / inexperienced Upper Management
Worst place to work and two face staff
Cargo Handler (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC4 November 2018
The pay at Menzies aviation dorval is horrible $13h for all the work you put in,
The management is bad the people are two face and always trying to fight down each other ,
Always want you do more than what your payed to do
A lot of obscene language and name calling !!!
Cons
Super long hours
great company
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2018
the work is amazing.i was treated with royality. mangement is very professional and courtesy. The pay rate climbs as you commit to the career with this amazing company.
Pros
Free food and free friends
Cons
nothing is bad.all is good.
Terrible management. Little training, first to be blamed
Fueler (Former Employee) –  YHZ7 October 2018
Easy job, not enough employees, worked to death, zero appreciation for effort put in. Greasy tactics for advancing favoured employees. The worst manager anyone’s ever worked for, opinion shared with everyone else who works there. Thrown right into the job with minimal training, and most trainers despise training, if you make a mistake or damage equipment you’re humiliated and docked a day of work. Primitive work style. Schedule that hasn’t been altered in 14years. Not enough parking for every employee, risk your car being towed. Racism and sexism abundant.

Disgruntled former employee.
Pros
Lots of breaks
Fast paced and exciting
Passenger Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mount Hope, ON6 October 2018
Check in for flights, board passengers and everything else in between. Learn new and exciting things every day. Shift work can be difficult but overall worth it.
fast pace environment, always room for promotions
Agent (Current Employee) –  yyz3 October 2018
time goes by very fast, due to the high volume of activities, no day is ever the same, this can be the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menzies Aviation. Our community is ready to answer.