Memory Express

Canada20 reviews

Clear
3.2Job security & advancement

I miss working here

MemX was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I left the job a few years ago, and I still wish I could go back even as a part-time employee. What makes this company awesome is the employees, managers and the culture they create. If you're a nerd, or excited about technology and the advancements in place. You will fit right in.

Pros

Good team, good culture, great managers

Cons

The owner sometimes watches the cameras

Memory Express was an honour to work for

I wanted a life changing experience from the intense office work I was used to as well as decades of aggressive outdoor labour on the rails, in the oilfield, operating heavy equipment in harsh environments, etc. I applied to Memory Express as I was a network specialist, a hardware technician and software specialist in my youth. I wanted to revisit my passion. Memory Express gave me a chance (although out of my current element at that time). I had a blast working for them. It was a fun, nice environment and the management was incredible. The ONLY issue was mine, not M.E.'s The pay was lower than what I was used to. As far as retail goes, Memory Express is from what I learned and experienced, the best business a retail-minded person could work. Greatest work experience of my life. I still shop there and stop-in to see my old co-workers from time to time.

Pros

Product knowledge courses constantly offered and up-to-date, company-proprietary perks, great team mentality, help available to grow within the company, advancement opportunities, and much more

Cons

None, other than retail doesn't pay that much to begin with. That is the field though, not Memeory Express's issue. M.E. is VERY generous with pay.

Insights into Memory Express

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

It is a Great place with passionate people

Overall the Memory express culture is pretty good. Full of nerdy and fun employees who for many of them are living life by talking about there hobby. The wages are fair for what is asked of the employees for the most part. The management team is flexible and the stores all run a little differently. Customer experience is the big focus of this company which is something that is very important. The downside to this company is the lack of advancement or Raises to match inflation. A raise is unlikely to happen ever. Career advancement is extremely limited. The position you start in is probably the position you will also finish in for most people. If you are okay with that small problem then it is a great place to work for any tech enthusiast

Pros

fun place to work

Cons

no career advancment

Company not pay for extra time

I worked for a year with this company and did an extra half hour a day, didn't get paid for it nor did I get to bank the time. However when I had to take some time for medical reasons, I was docked pay to the time miss and the extra half hour I worked was not taken in to consideration. Another thing was when I was laid off I didn't get any severance pay, they told me pay was 2 weeks in advance. Never seen a company pay someone in advance of the time worked. If I knew what I know now, Memory Express would have been taken to the labour board.

Pros

see new products

Cons

work extra hours

Great for retail

Enjoyed the people, the management, and the coworkers. However, closure occurred, so 5 stars for job security isn't possible. There was a lot of freedom to do what was necessary when it comes to solutions. That was more of a localized thing, I don't think the other stores shared the same freedoms.

Pros

Good schedule

Cons

The crazies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memory Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement