Memory Express

Memory Express: 20 Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews

Co-Workers are great

The co-workers are great and the Pay is amazing if you work for it. Overall I loved the job, but management, both local and cooperate, would make baffling choices at times. If you're looking for a commission sales job, and you love tech, it can be a great choice, but don't expect to be able to advance in the company.

Pros

Co-workers, pay

Cons

management, long hours, stressful

Easy going, but can be stressed job

Pretty good, but not the best. Your experience will be determined by the manager of your store essentially. It's chill until its not so get ready for a lot of rushing around or doing nothing.

Insights into Memory Express

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

USED to be good until management change

I used to enjoy working here but as staff changes it all went downhill. Management are good buddies with the higher ups so whatever you say has no meaning. There is literately no culture in this store. Favouritism is extremely high and bias which is the reason why I was let go. If you're looking to work here I'd go the other branches besides this one. Definitely not family oriented.

Pros

Drinks/Snacks

Positive environment

I've been at Memory Express for over 2 and a half years now, and I've always been impressed at how the majority of the ownership and management team across the company try to do the best they can for both the customers and the employees. Most employees work on a 4 day on, 3 day off schedule which is great for work life balance, and salary and benefits are amazing for a job of this level. The job is fun and usually a positive experience, especially if you like computers and/or customer service. I've been through quite a few different managers and groups of employees, and my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.The job is usually relatively straightforward. It can be very busy during peak seasons, but I've never found it overwhelming or unpleasant because of that. Responsibilities are well-distributed between the different departments, so the workload is balanced and always manageable.

Pros

3 day weekends, relaxed workload that allows freedom

Cons

Standing all day, commission can be spotty in slow seasons

I miss working here

MemX was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I left the job a few years ago, and I still wish I could go back even as a part-time employee. What makes this company awesome is the employees, managers and the culture they create. If you're a nerd, or excited about technology and the advancements in place. You will fit right in.

Pros

Good team, good culture, great managers

Cons

The owner sometimes watches the cameras

Poor management and bad performing staff.

The worst part is the management encourages the staff to fight against each other. It kills the productivity and morale within the company. I'm glad that I have left and found a better job elsewhere.

Fun

Good university, great students. Flexible schedule. Good workplace environment. People are passionate and willing to build strong relationships with one antoher.

Productive and fun environment.

Managers and coworkers all have incredible attention to detail, and are friendly and enjoyable. I learned about how to streamline activities for the greatest amount of efficiency.

Memory Express was an honour to work for

I wanted a life changing experience from the intense office work I was used to as well as decades of aggressive outdoor labour on the rails, in the oilfield, operating heavy equipment in harsh environments, etc. I applied to Memory Express as I was a network specialist, a hardware technician and software specialist in my youth. I wanted to revisit my passion. Memory Express gave me a chance (although out of my current element at that time). I had a blast working for them. It was a fun, nice environment and the management was incredible. The ONLY issue was mine, not M.E.'s The pay was lower than what I was used to. As far as retail goes, Memory Express is from what I learned and experienced, the best business a retail-minded person could work. Greatest work experience of my life. I still shop there and stop-in to see my old co-workers from time to time.

Pros

Product knowledge courses constantly offered and up-to-date, company-proprietary perks, great team mentality, help available to grow within the company, advancement opportunities, and much more

Cons

None, other than retail doesn't pay that much to begin with. That is the field though, not Memeory Express's issue. M.E. is VERY generous with pay.

Great management, horribly owned

Management is generally good. Staff are mostly fun people however there are some extreme stragglers employed. Ownership is completely oblivious to how things work on the ground level and almost require a level of boot-licking in order to garner their favour. Almost always employees are required to do completely unrelated tasks (in relation to their employment position) to keep their internal value at a comfortable level.

Cons

Long hours if you are in sales.

Productive and a Team effort.

Connecting to customers through email and phone calls. Providing customers with solutions for there IT needs. We were infused to provide the customers with the best customer service we could provide. From starting with a Happy Hello to start and ending with helping the customer out with there products. Management was the best, allowed the whole sales team to work in one direction and providing the best customer service. The workplace culture is mixed with gamers, hardware enthusiast, software and network specialists that all come together to make a great company team.

Pros

Free Swag from Venders

It is a Great place with passionate people

Overall the Memory express culture is pretty good. Full of nerdy and fun employees who for many of them are living life by talking about there hobby. The wages are fair for what is asked of the employees for the most part. The management team is flexible and the stores all run a little differently. Customer experience is the big focus of this company which is something that is very important. The downside to this company is the lack of advancement or Raises to match inflation. A raise is unlikely to happen ever. Career advancement is extremely limited. The position you start in is probably the position you will also finish in for most people. If you are okay with that small problem then it is a great place to work for any tech enthusiast

Pros

fun place to work

Cons

no career advancment

If your into computers and tech this the place to be.

Been working with memory express for over 3 years now and ive always loved setting up computers and anything that has do with it like,games , hardware and software.And all i can say is im very happy and satisfied with the company , the culture the management , and being paid well to go with it is icing on the cake.

Pros

Manager and owner are very approachable.

Cons

No sports life. Just games.

Best computer shop in Canada

There really is no better place to shop or work. These guys go above and beyond with service and offer a comprehensive warranty that will blow you away.

Pros

Price match even online competitors

Cons

Stores are only located in west coast canada

Company not pay for extra time

I worked for a year with this company and did an extra half hour a day, didn't get paid for it nor did I get to bank the time. However when I had to take some time for medical reasons, I was docked pay to the time miss and the extra half hour I worked was not taken in to consideration. Another thing was when I was laid off I didn't get any severance pay, they told me pay was 2 weeks in advance. Never seen a company pay someone in advance of the time worked. If I knew what I know now, Memory Express would have been taken to the labour board.

Pros

see new products

Cons

work extra hours

Great place to work/ Great Benifits

Can be hectic .Know your stuff and learn about all things in store. Staff and management are great . Great pay and benefits. Customers can be a bit on the i know everything side.

Great for retail

Enjoyed the people, the management, and the coworkers. However, closure occurred, so 5 stars for job security isn't possible. There was a lot of freedom to do what was necessary when it comes to solutions. That was more of a localized thing, I don't think the other stores shared the same freedoms.

Pros

Good schedule

Cons

The crazies

Great Knowledgeable staff and friendly customers.

A typical day involved a lot of consulting and helping customers with custom builds. Restocking was also one of our main focuses. On down time I would usually learn more about the new and upcoming products. Everyday was a learning experience as many people has much different needs.

Productive and fun work place as a sales

I am a sales in the computer company. During the day, I met lots of customers. They came to the store and buy different kinds of computer products. I explained very detail to the customers about their needs and concerns. I really enjoy the time with my co-workers. We all have the same goal. I love the way I interact with the customers. From them, I learned something that I have missed out and missed understand about technology and related products.

Great work environment

Loved working for Memory Express was probably my favorite job. In a typical day you can be doing a number of things mainly customer based stuff, but you can end up starting the day off helping with a cable sale and moving directly to selling a laptop minutes after. Its a fast paced environment that keeps you on your toes. Lots of fun the people there are amazing and I will call many of them friends for life. The hardest part of the job in my opinion was honestly dealing with customers and knowing that anything that you say can be interpreted in a million different ways so you have to be clear and concise without being offensive and at times that is a very big challenge. All in all you learn patience and empathy from doing a job like this. Still probably my new #1 favorite place to work.

Pros

Great People, High compensation, Good Hours

Cons

Stressfull

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memory Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement