Work wellbeing score is 64 out of 100

Memory Express Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews

managementgreatworkgoodcustomerstorememoryexpress

A great place to be a customer

While Memx truly lives for their slogan "creating customers for life", the overarching internal experience leaves things to be desired.Every store is run without direction from HQ, which works until it doesn't. There is no opportunity for monetary growth unless you are in the right place at the right time to get a promotion, regardless of how long you have been with the company or how hard you work. Memory Express store employees have been given the exact same dollar/hr wage for ~12 years. This was a fantastic thing a decade ago, but has quickly become more of a slap in the face, only to be highlighted by the owner's commonly stated opinion of "If they want more money, they can just sell more things".The management team is fantastic, caring, and professional. We all were given the freedom to make the choices that we felt were best for our stores, but only if it didn't cost the company a dollar to follow through with, unless you were one of a handful of specific individuals.The Ontario stores feel as they are looked at as the "red-headed step-child" as the saying goes, and are offered little support and no training from HQ, from the lowest to the highest roles in each store.The long and short of it, Memx is a company that cares about and always looks after it's clientele and that is a hard thing to find in this day and age. If you are looking for a job in which you can be there for the people you interact with, a job that lets you go above and beyond any other company in this industry, Memory Express is the place for you. But every upside also has a downside that you may -

Fun workplace and great sales experience .

Not too bad, no room to grow. Its a great way to start off, but you should look for other ways to grow and develop your professional career. No where to grow in the company.

Insights into Memory Express

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Worth it as a break in job, don't expect a raise, or more than minimum compensation when you're let go.

At the store, managers prioritize profits over staff well-being. Don't trust them to keep quiet or follow through. Upon termination, expect only the minimum government package.

Pros

Most of the Staff are great!

Cons

1 of the upper management doesn't care about employees anymore, and there is a general Clique that happens with all management staff.

Good place, good people.

Good experience. People here are genuine. I do miss this place, it was my first step into Tech and has transformed my career in IT. Definitely recommend

Great job for making some decent money, not a career though.

Salary was quite good, considering the amount of responsibility required. Colleagues were mostly easy to get along with and friendly. The biggest problem with working here, is there is really no way up. Therefore, I would not consider this a career by any means.

Poor culture, little room to advance

Lack of leadership at the store and none from the owner. There is a communication issue between management and staff. Advancement is solely based on politics between you and the store manager. No consistency between stores and this company needs a district manager for Ontario.Lots of favoritism. Many staff members do no work and are not reprimanded. Others are expected to do more than there share.

Pros

Work balance

Cons

Long shifts, little chance to advance

Decent Pay for Sales, not so much everyone else.

If you are in sales or work as service technician then you work for commission, so there is a chance of making decent money. Salaried workers (CSR, RMA, Warehouse) have static pay, so do not expect any raises. If you push for it and want it you can possibly become a manager in training.

Pros

hour lunch. most staff 4 on 3 off.

Cons

Static pay for salaried employees, do not expect to ever see a raise.

Mostly relaxed work environment

The work environment here was mostly relaxed, there would be enough downtime during the day (non-busy season) to follow up on orders and customer inquiries for products and return calls to said customers. During the busy season of the later part of the year there was always lots to sell and do.

Pros

Various provided snacks and drinks, friendly co-workers, 4 day work weeks

Cons

Standing for 10 hour days, sometimes nothing to do during slow season

Easy going, but can be stressed job

Pretty good, but not the best. Your experience will be determined by the manager of your store essentially. It's chill until its not so get ready for a lot of rushing around or doing nothing.

Positive environment

I've been at Memory Express for over 2 and a half years now, and I've always been impressed at how the majority of the ownership and management team across the company try to do the best they can for both the customers and the employees. Most employees work on a 4 day on, 3 day off schedule which is great for work life balance, and salary and benefits are amazing for a job of this level. The job is fun and usually a positive experience, especially if you like computers and/or customer service. I've been through quite a few different managers and groups of employees, and my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.The job is usually relatively straightforward. It can be very busy during peak seasons, but I've never found it overwhelming or unpleasant because of that. Responsibilities are well-distributed between the different departments, so the workload is balanced and always manageable.

Pros

3 day weekends, relaxed workload that allows freedom

Cons

Standing all day, commission can be spotty in slow seasons

Jobs at Memory Express

See more jobs

Co-Workers are great

The co-workers are great and the Pay is amazing if you work for it. Overall I loved the job, but management, both local and cooperate, would make baffling choices at times. If you're looking for a commission sales job, and you love tech, it can be a great choice, but don't expect to be able to advance in the company.

Pros

Co-workers, pay

Cons

management, long hours, stressful

I miss working here

MemX was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I left the job a few years ago, and I still wish I could go back even as a part-time employee. What makes this company awesome is the employees, managers and the culture they create. If you're a nerd, or excited about technology and the advancements in place. You will fit right in.

Pros

Good team, good culture, great managers

Cons

The owner sometimes watches the cameras

Poor management and bad performing staff.

The worst part is the management encourages the staff to fight against each other. It kills the productivity and morale within the company. I'm glad that I have left and found a better job elsewhere.

Fun

Good university, great students. Flexible schedule. Good workplace environment. People are passionate and willing to build strong relationships with one antoher.

Productive and fun environment.

Managers and coworkers all have incredible attention to detail, and are friendly and enjoyable. I learned about how to streamline activities for the greatest amount of efficiency.

Memory Express was an honour to work for

I wanted a life changing experience from the intense office work I was used to as well as decades of aggressive outdoor labour on the rails, in the oilfield, operating heavy equipment in harsh environments, etc. I applied to Memory Express as I was a network specialist, a hardware technician and software specialist in my youth. I wanted to revisit my passion. Memory Express gave me a chance (although out of my current element at that time). I had a blast working for them. It was a fun, nice environment and the management was incredible. The ONLY issue was mine, not M.E.'s The pay was lower than what I was used to. As far as retail goes, Memory Express is from what I learned and experienced, the best business a retail-minded person could work. Greatest work experience of my life. I still shop there and stop-in to see my old co-workers from time to time.

Pros

Product knowledge courses constantly offered and up-to-date, company-proprietary perks, great team mentality, help available to grow within the company, advancement opportunities, and much more

Cons

None, other than retail doesn't pay that much to begin with. That is the field though, not Memeory Express's issue. M.E. is VERY generous with pay.

Great management, horribly owned

Management is generally good. Staff are mostly fun people however there are some extreme stragglers employed. Ownership is completely oblivious to how things work on the ground level and almost require a level of boot-licking in order to garner their favour. Almost always employees are required to do completely unrelated tasks (in relation to their employment position) to keep their internal value at a comfortable level.

Cons

Long hours if you are in sales.

Productive and a Team effort.

Connecting to customers through email and phone calls. Providing customers with solutions for there IT needs. We were infused to provide the customers with the best customer service we could provide. From starting with a Happy Hello to start and ending with helping the customer out with there products. Management was the best, allowed the whole sales team to work in one direction and providing the best customer service. The workplace culture is mixed with gamers, hardware enthusiast, software and network specialists that all come together to make a great company team.

Pros

Free Swag from Venders

It is a Great place with passionate people

Overall the Memory express culture is pretty good. Full of nerdy and fun employees who for many of them are living life by talking about there hobby. The wages are fair for what is asked of the employees for the most part. The management team is flexible and the stores all run a little differently. Customer experience is the big focus of this company which is something that is very important. The downside to this company is the lack of advancement or Raises to match inflation. A raise is unlikely to happen ever. Career advancement is extremely limited. The position you start in is probably the position you will also finish in for most people. If you are okay with that small problem then it is a great place to work for any tech enthusiast

Pros

fun place to work

Cons

no career advancment

If your into computers and tech this the place to be.

Been working with memory express for over 3 years now and ive always loved setting up computers and anything that has do with it like,games , hardware and software.And all i can say is im very happy and satisfied with the company , the culture the management , and being paid well to go with it is icing on the cake.

Pros

Manager and owner are very approachable.

Cons

No sports life. Just games.

Best computer shop in Canada

There really is no better place to shop or work. These guys go above and beyond with service and offer a comprehensive warranty that will blow you away.

Pros

Price match even online competitors

Cons

Stores are only located in west coast canada

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memory Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement