Memorial University of Newfoundland Management reviews

Decent place to work
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland & Labrador13 March 2019
Clerk
Good place to work. Some staff take advantage of days off... arrive when they feel like it leaving others to bear the extra load without extra compensation. All depts are not like this but some are. Ive also worked in other depts that increase your salary as per policy if you do a higher positions work.

Managers, Directors and all senior should treat all employees equal.

Job security doesnt exist for contractual employees.
They cant stir the pot.
Pros
Co workers are great mostly
Cons
No security
Fun volunteer experience
Volunteering-Coats (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 December 2018
The volunteer opportunity I got with Mun was a program called Coats for kids. A typical day according to my scheduled time was no less than three hours of sorting coats. Management was sociable and helpful. The hardest part of the job was sorting through about a thousand donated coats, scarves, mittens and shoes. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community bus run where we took the coats in a metro bus to different communities
Indepence
Oil and Gas Engineer (PhD Researcher) (Current Employee) –  CA19 October 2018
You basically are thrown in the water to swim and at the same time find something the ocean which is yet to be discovered. If you can't swim, you drown. If you can swim, then you need to dive and find something. I guess that is research here
Fun place, very productive, no day is the same.
Internship (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 October 2018
I worked for a brief 8 weeks with Memorial University within Facilities Management building for my internship.
The job was absolutely outstanding, and the people I worked for were the best of the bunch.
I had a lot of different tasks, which allowed me to extend my understanding of Human Resources and learn first hand the different situations you can find yourself in within the field.
I was also given the great opportunity to attend meetings, interviews, and orientation days so that I could learn more, gain experience, and apply my own knowledge.
The staff were always funny, approachable, and kind to me, and accepted me as a part of the team. Anyone to work for them would be nothing less than lucky.
Pros
Fabulous staff, and great hands on experience.
Cons
Only lasted 8 weeks!!
It's a great place to work
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 September 2018
Typical day - checking emails/mail, processing claims, etc
I learned a lot in my 10 years here
For the most part management is awesome.
The best part of the job is meeting new people, learning new things - everyday there's something new.
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 May 2018
Overall working for MUN is ok, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Benefits are satisfactory. Compensation leaves something to be desired.
MUN is a very large employer - review is highly reflective of specific department
Animal Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 May 2018
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL, and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Great salary and benefits, and overall great atmosphere for growth. My lack of job satisfaction is a directly related to the management of my department, one person in particular, so I can't speak for the rest of MUN. However, MUN just implemented a new overtime policy which is really upsetting considering I have worked countless weekends. I am lucky to have a position with great job security.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, summer hours, green space nearby
Cons
Management at a departmental level
Hmmm
Professional (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 March 2018
Working in HR at MUN was the most stressful time in my career. People are underpaid, overworked, and I can name several occasions where I felt I was being bullied. Leadership was so-so. Mostly it's what you expect from a pseudo-government organization - red tape, bureaucracy, people hanging out in their jobs too long, and general foolishness. I routinely had to punch 5-6 extra hours every week to barely keep my head above water, while my Director walked out the door on time every single day, it seemed. I took a lot of flak from people in other departments, often for things that were entirely out of my control. Going to work was hard most days. Parking was awful.
Pros
Cons
Pay, parking, leadership
Best place to research and study
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 July 2017
good team work
friendly workplace culture
design and research
execution of research models
Good place to work if you manage to get a permanent position.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 August 2016
A typical day of work consisted of setting up experiments for the lab.
I developed good language skills towards instructing first-year students basic courses in Biology.
Management is terrible in this place, the science building is collapsing and seems to be a very bureaucratic place to make an impact to Newfoundlanders.
Co-workers are good, in my area all of us young and enthusiastic.
The hardest part of the job is not getting paid enough, compared to other major Universities in Canada MUN, pay grades are low.
The must enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility.
Pros
Good environment to work
Cons
Bureaucracy
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 August 2016
great place to work

friendly co-workers

have been given the opportunity to do some courses in project management.

course in understanding personality types
Fun and creative environment to work in
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  St John's Newfoundland11 February 2015
Ensuring student safety and rule compliance as well as building management and event planning. Learned how to create fun interactive environments as well as manage and lead large groups of people.
Pros
Great staff memebers
Cons
You never get to be "off duty"
good place to work
FOOD COURT WORKER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 September 2014
people especially manager of coordinators are professional in carrying things. and they care about employees, we got gifts before Christmas and the safety training is good. the workload is small. people are easygoing and they are well educated.
Great co-workers
Program Administrative Assistant - Compost Program (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL27 March 2014
Good place to work, people are friendly, management is great.

I love working with people and community engagement but the best part of my job is in the lab work. I am a scientist at heart.

The hardest part would be trying to communicate with some members of the faculty. They can be difficult to work with and hard to communicate to, but I always manage.
Teaching physics and math to undergraduate students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 July 2012
It was an opportunity to teach physics and math to undergraduates, and it was in return to the graduate fellowship I received. I learned teaching aand lab demo skills. Management was very helpful. Team work was amazing. When I see my students succeed, that's the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
teaching skills learned
Cons
low stipend