Memorial University of Newfoundland

Memorial University of Newfoundland Management reviews

Canada111 reviews
I really enjoyed working at the MUN bookstore. Loved working with management and thoroughly enjoyed working with customers. Would work there once I start classes again.
enjoyable place to work, very helpful staff and faculty. management was extremely easy to work with and there was never issues when tasks needed to be clarified.
Working as an RA is a great growing experience and looks good on a resume. You will gain leadership experience, learn time management, how to work with a team and independently, etc. There is also a sense of community within the residence life circle, so there is a lot of support.

However, this job has the ability to consume your life. Nearly every training session (one morning a month) and staff meeting, someone brought up the concept of the “fishbowl”. As an RA we were on constant observation from our residents, coworkers/peers, and management. One of the requirements of the position is to be a good role model, and they’re watching to make sure you are. Additionally, it is often repeated that you’re “always on duty”, you’re always required to be doing your job. You must always be easily accessible. You are required to spend every night sleeping in the house. If you sleep anywhere else, even another house on campus, it counts as a night off. You get 6 nights off a year. This job strips you of your privacy.

The expectations are high. Management has a tendency to focus on the wrong priorities and forget the reality of their community. Generally, they care more about enforcing strict rules than the residents as young adults who need support. Because of the high expectations and strict regulations, along with their inability to get food that doesn’t taste like rubber, staff turnover is high. Back in the day staff apparently stayed for much longer, even moving up to higher positions. Only a scattered few of that generation are left now and most staff only stay for 1 -
 - more...
Very little opportunity for advancement. Most positions are not refilled as people retire so no new opportunities arise. Pay levels are not consistent with job duties from one level of classification to the next.
Very elitist work culture at times. Obvious distinction between Faculty and Support Staff.

Low staffing in many departments causing very heavy work load for existing staff.
Memorial University is a perfect academic place for studying with informative associates and high-standard management. Colleagues are protective and work environment is proper and productive.
Clerk
Good place to work. Some staff take advantage of days off... arrive when they feel like it leaving others to bear the extra load without extra compensation. All depts are not like this but some are. Ive also worked in other depts that increase your salary as per policy if you do a higher positions work.

Managers, Directors and all senior should treat all employees equal.

Job security doesnt exist for contractual employees.

They cant stir the pot.
Pros
Co workers are great mostly
Cons
No security
The volunteer opportunity I got with Mun was a program called Coats for kids. A typical day according to my scheduled time was no less than three hours of sorting coats. Management was sociable and helpful. The hardest part of the job was sorting through about a thousand donated coats, scarves, mittens and shoes. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community bus run where we took the coats in a metro bus to different communities
You basically are thrown in the water to swim and at the same time find something the ocean which is yet to be discovered. If you can't swim, you drown. If you can swim, then you need to dive and find something. I guess that is research here
I worked for a brief 8 weeks with Memorial University within Facilities Management building for my internship.
The job was absolutely outstanding, and the people I worked for were the best of the bunch.

I had a lot of different tasks, which allowed me to extend my understanding of Human Resources and learn first hand the different situations you can find yourself in within the field.

I was also given the great opportunity to attend meetings, interviews, and orientation days so that I could learn more, gain experience, and apply my own knowledge.

The staff were always funny, approachable, and kind to me, and accepted me as a part of the team. Anyone to work for them would be nothing less than lucky.
Pros
Fabulous staff, and great hands on experience.
Cons
Only lasted 8 weeks!!
Typical day - checking emails/mail, processing claims, etc
I learned a lot in my 10 years here

For the most part management is awesome.
The best part of the job is meeting new people, learning new things - everyday there's something new.
Overall working for MUN is ok, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Benefits are satisfactory. Compensation leaves something to be desired.
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL, and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Great salary and benefits, and overall great atmosphere for growth. My lack of job satisfaction is a directly related to the management of my department, one person in particular, so I can't speak for the rest of MUN. However, MUN just implemented a new overtime policy which is really upsetting considering I have worked countless weekends. I am lucky to have a position with great job security.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, summer hours, green space nearby
Cons
Management at a departmental level
Working in HR at MUN was the most stressful time in my career. People are underpaid, overworked, and I can name several occasions where I felt I was being bullied. Leadership was so-so. Mostly it's what you expect from a pseudo-government organization - red tape, bureaucracy, people hanging out in their jobs too long, and general foolishness. I routinely had to punch 5-6 extra hours every week to barely keep my head above water, while my Director walked out the door on time every single day, it seemed. I took a lot of flak from people in other departments, often for things that were entirely out of my control. Going to work was hard most days. Parking was awful.
Pros
Cons
Pay, parking, leadership
Oil & Gas Engineering
Electrical Engineering

Safety & Risk Engineering

Project management
good team work
friendly workplace culture

design and research

execution of research models
A typical day of work consisted of setting up experiments for the lab.
I developed good language skills towards instructing first-year students basic courses in Biology.

Management is terrible in this place, the science building is collapsing and seems to be a very bureaucratic place to make an impact to Newfoundlanders.
Co-workers are good, in my area all of us young and enthusiastic.

The hardest part of the job is not getting paid enough, compared to other major Universities in Canada MUN, pay grades are low.

The must enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility.
Pros
Good environment to work
Cons
Bureaucracy
great place to work

friendly co-workers

have been given the opportunity to do some courses in project management.

course in understanding personality types
Participei de trienamento para manuseio de produtos de laboratório e, após o treinamento, passava a maior parte do dia no laboratório realizando experimentos da pesquisa.
Havia pouca relação interpessoal com os demais colaboradores, sendo que os momentos de interação eram sempre agradáveis.

Aprendi a importância de realizar as atividades com extrema competência e concentração, uma vez que atividades específicas de uma importante pesquisa estavam sendo confiadas a mim.

A parte mais difícil do trabalho foi a rápida necessidade de costume com diferentes culturas (colaboradores de países diferentes);

A parte mais agradável foi a oportunidade de aprendizado não somente profissional, mas também pessoal.
Ensuring student safety and rule compliance as well as building management and event planning. Learned how to create fun interactive environments as well as manage and lead large groups of people.
Pros
Great staff memebers
Cons
You never get to be "off duty"
people especially manager of coordinators are professional in carrying things. and they care about employees, we got gifts before Christmas and the safety training is good. the workload is small. people are easygoing and they are well educated.
Good place to work, people are friendly, management is great.

I love working with people and community engagement but the best part of my job is in the lab work. I am a scientist at heart.

The hardest part would be trying to communicate with some members of the faculty. They can be difficult to work with and hard to communicate to, but I always manage.
It was an opportunity to teach physics and math to undergraduates, and it was in return to the graduate fellowship I received. I learned teaching aand lab demo skills. Management was very helpful. Team work was amazing. When I see my students succeed, that's the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
teaching skills learned
Cons
low stipend