Memorial University of Newfoundland

Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews for Resident Assistant

Resident Assistant3 reviews
Canada3 reviews
Great training, 1 full week before school, and then ongoing during the year. Was great to help pay for school housing and there was a good balance between school and work. I enjoyed the job overall but my RC was not helpful and never informed our building of anything going on. Poor supervisor skills. Good job if I had a different boss.
Working as an RA is a great growing experience and looks good on a resume. You will gain leadership experience, learn time management, how to work with a team and independently, etc. There is also a sense of community within the residence life circle, so there is a lot of support.

However, this job has the ability to consume your life. Nearly every training session (one morning a month) and staff meeting, someone brought up the concept of the “fishbowl”. As an RA we were on constant observation from our residents, coworkers/peers, and management. One of the requirements of the position is to be a good role model, and they’re watching to make sure you are. Additionally, it is often repeated that you’re “always on duty”, you’re always required to be doing your job. You must always be easily accessible. You are required to spend every night sleeping in the house. If you sleep anywhere else, even another house on campus, it counts as a night off. You get 6 nights off a year. This job strips you of your privacy.

The expectations are high. Management has a tendency to focus on the wrong priorities and forget the reality of their community. Generally, they care more about enforcing strict rules than the residents as young adults who need support. Because of the high expectations and strict regulations, along with their inability to get food that doesn’t taste like rubber, staff turnover is high. Back in the day staff apparently stayed for much longer, even moving up to higher positions. Only a scattered few of that generation are left now and most staff only stay for 1 -
 - more...
Ensuring student safety and rule compliance as well as building management and event planning. Learned how to create fun interactive environments as well as manage and lead large groups of people.
Pros
Great staff memebers
Cons
You never get to be "off duty"
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Memorial University of Newfoundland?