Memorial University of Newfoundland

Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews in St. John's, NL

St. John's, NL97 reviews
All my supervisors were very uplifting and that made my job easier. The tasks were pretty straight forward and that made me enhance my knowledge in the field of education.
job requirement is higher than the salary. logistic support is very poor. you will not find right person and right instrument. Their budget might be low. your dont have future
I really enjoyed working at the MUN bookstore. Loved working with management and thoroughly enjoyed working with customers. Would work there once I start classes again.
enjoyable place to work, very helpful staff and faculty. management was extremely easy to work with and there was never issues when tasks needed to be clarified.
MUN is an exciting place to work. Each day you interact with intelligent young people, making everyday a challenge. Fast pace learning the current standards in programming and computer science in general.
The labs provided an excellent experience for graduate students to get hands on experience to help inspire the next generation of scientists. Responsibilities were adequate for the pay.
Very good place to work and enjoy your time. As a Teaching Assistant in the memorial university, you have the chance of being in contact with great professors in your area of study.
Competitive place to work
Colleagues are friendly

Flexible working hours

Work environment is pleasant

A good research laboratory facilities (Geotechnical lab)
A typical day at work depends on you. Everyone is very nice, which makes it difficult to stay moody, we have good laughs and its a space where you can grow yourself.
Working as an RA is a great growing experience and looks good on a resume. You will gain leadership experience, learn time management, how to work with a team and independently, etc. There is also a sense of community within the residence life circle, so there is a lot of support.

However, this job has the ability to consume your life. Nearly every training session (one morning a month) and staff meeting, someone brought up the concept of the “fishbowl”. As an RA we were on constant observation from our residents, coworkers/peers, and management. One of the requirements of the position is to be a good role model, and they’re watching to make sure you are. Additionally, it is often repeated that you’re “always on duty”, you’re always required to be doing your job. You must always be easily accessible. You are required to spend every night sleeping in the house. If you sleep anywhere else, even another house on campus, it counts as a night off. You get 6 nights off a year. This job strips you of your privacy.

The expectations are high. Management has a tendency to focus on the wrong priorities and forget the reality of their community. Generally, they care more about enforcing strict rules than the residents as young adults who need support. Because of the high expectations and strict regulations, along with their inability to get food that doesn’t taste like rubber, staff turnover is high. Back in the day staff apparently stayed for much longer, even moving up to higher positions. Only a scattered few of that generation are left now and most staff only stay for 1 -
 - more...
As a research student learning how to work in a professional environment was important. Built great work ethics and skills that will surely benefit in the future.
I am working there as a part time while studying however the project that we are working on is really good in terms of the idea that they are trying to establish
Very little opportunity for advancement. Most positions are not refilled as people retire so no new opportunities arise. Pay levels are not consistent with job duties from one level of classification to the next.
Very elitist work culture at times. Obvious distinction between Faculty and Support Staff.

Low staffing in many departments causing very heavy work load for existing staff.
A great place to study and work, diversity inclusion and professionalism is minimum standard. Maintains good work life through organizing various social activities. Great place to be
Helpful, They provide great environment for work. Specially for the students. They provide part time and full time jobs both administrative and hourly. Pays good.
Memorial University is a perfect academic place for studying with informative associates and high-standard management. Colleagues are protective and work environment is proper and productive.
Researching data for university professors.
Usually, scrapping metadata and trim those into a decent excel file.

It was very nice to communicate with professors.
This is a very professional environment, people are polite and honest. I have had a wonderful time working here and I really enjoyed my time.
I highly recommend people to work here.
I am a research and teaching assistant in mechanical engineering, doing design, experiment and writing papers, providing help for students. I like my current position.
Did a secondment there for 1 1/2 years to try a change. It was a nice experience, wonderful people to work with. My job consisted of arranging a lot of meetings, travel arrangements etc.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
I am on front desk greeting students, co-workers, faculty. I have done some training on different programs: Visio, Sitebuilder. I do a lot of documentation in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher. My boss is fantastic to work for. I do a lot of arranging of hosting for various conferences, workshops etc. The most enjoyable part of my day is communicating with people.
Pros
Training Sessions
Cons