Memorial University of Newfoundland

Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews

Canada131 reviews

memorialuniversitylabstudentskillhelpfullearningfriendly

Best workplace ever

Think of all the things you want in a job. I bet I get most of those things at my job with MUN. Everyone I work with is respectful and considerate. I get paid fairly for the work I do.

Fun & Educational, Meet Interesting People

Volunteering @ CHMR has been an enriching experience for me. I’ve been a DJ these since 2002 & have met & interviewed so many cool people. Heard so much great & varied music, too. If you have a hankering to do either or both, I highly recommend it

Pros

Music & people

Cons

No pay

Insights into Memorial University of Newfoundland

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Loved it

Loved working here - I only left due to Covid (the first wave). If I was still a student, I would certainly still be happily doing my student position!

So many great people

People here are very friendly and supportive. Great flexibility with scheduling and easily able to accommodate time off for appointments and such. Dealing with certain offices can be a little slow and frustrating, but overall have definitely enjoyed my experience here

It is a nice to go if you school there it makes things really convenient and it gives you this ability to structure your time to make it adjust to any new thing that needs to be put in.

Pros

Easy movement

Cons

Lots of standing requires quite the stamina

Fine enough, though pay isn't good enough

They use bureaucratic methods to discourage advancement/promotion for staff. Pay is scaled and hard (if not impossible) to negotiate. Salary is currently too low for the job description. If you need to go through MUN to get anything done expect delays, it's a bureaucratic nightmare. The benefits are a joke: Not enough dental to realistically get two cleanings a year, the fitness/wellness benefit is a discount at the Works (whereas most places will give you an allotment to spend on things you'll actually use), and they make their employees pay for parking as much as $400 a year (even though their parking garage is practically empty). If you're in a good department/unit you can have a good work/life balance, and that's the only thing that has kept me from taking other jobs.

MUCEP positions are great for students

Worked in a mucep position that continued on into the summer. I found working MUCEP during the semester was great for my grades because I had more time to study compared to working retail.

Great gig

Love this job but wish it was permanent, not just a contract. I should be better compensated, however, I enjoy it so much that I stay on anyway, my colleagues are the best! My boss is very understanding and fair,

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

On contract

Excellent workplace

The best place I ever worked in my 40 year career. Great people good team work.... couldn't ask for better coworkers and managers. Wish I was still there..

Challenging

Great group of employees, lots of changing tasks to perform, great benefits, excellent working hours. The job I had as an industrial electrician was very hands on, tapped into alot of my experience before working at MUN.

Benefits

Cons

Take home pay

It all depends on your supervisor's management style.

It all depends on your supervisor's management style and your program. Be aware to choose the right lab. I have learned considerably over the research-based program.

Easy going and relaxed workplace

It’s a nice place to work. Not a lot of competition, people are good. Can’t complain honestly. The pay could surely be better but at the same time, you don’t have that pressure.

Enjoyed working with team and the management.

Good place for professional development and job satisfaction. The only cons is the location as its far away from the mainland and travelling can be costly.

An overall good place to workNot very stressful, and no toxic culturesPay is ok if not the bestIf you do not enjoy a fast-paced work environment, you will like working here

Great benefits and perks

Great place to work but hard to advance once you get into a particular role. I think departments like to hire people from the outside rather than promoting knowledgeable employees from within.

Working in the right unit help, but Execs and bureaucracy are terrible

High ups at MUN are too concerned about the bureaucracy of the university to use common sense to deal with situations. If you can work off campus you might have a better time. The fact you have o pay $200+ for a parking permit for your place of employment is garbage too. You can't negotiate a salary because it's an ivory tower pay-scale.

Very helpful for gaining experience as an undergrad international student

The university has really great opportunities for student internships. The hours are not enough (80 hours per semester as an undergrad), but that's the only issue with them. The pay is more than minimum wage, and you get to learn a lot too. It's a great addition to the resume, and at least you get something credible to show on your resume. The work environment is great too.

Pros

Pay more than minimum wage, great learning opportunity, good work environment

Cons

Not enough hours

Most departments are understaffed a backlog of work builds up and you end up having to take on 3 people’s jobs

Stay away, they will over work you and underpay you. Don’t get roped in my the time off and pension plan.. they can easily cut the pension plan and getting time off is not as easy as they make it sound

Pros

Pension, 35 hrs a week and 32 in the summer

Very fun place to work

Going to work wach day was very enjoyable due to the other staff working around me. Each staff member was very easy to converse with and enjoyed their work as much as I did.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

poor HR

Less logistics and poor salary

job requirement is higher than the salary. logistic support is very poor. you will not find right person and right instrument. Their budget might be low. your dont have future

Excellent place to work

All my supervisors were very uplifting and that made my job easier. The tasks were pretty straight forward and that made me enhance my knowledge in the field of education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement