Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews

productive and interesting workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 July 2018
I have learnt to be careful of any details and never give up making the work perfect. The hardest part of the job is you never know if the topic you chose is correct or not. After several months' experiments, you may find out the topic is wrong and you have to start over from the very beginning. However, the challenge also cultured me to be a hard-working person.
good place to work
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 June 2018
• Conducted formal & informal inspections, snapshot audits, behavioural observations and completed the required paperwork associated with each
• Reviewed Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) & Safe Work Practices as submitted by contractors
• Developed safety bulletins and alerts
• Conducted formal and informal lab safety inspections
• Identified equipment and policy improvements to comply with legislation
• Conducted fire inspections and drills to comply with fire regulations
• Developed a report on asbestos-contaminating materials for building occupants
Good
Intermediate Clerk Stenographer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 June 2018
its a great place to start off. there is room for movement with in the university, but it can be hard to get the experience to move around if you dont ask for the training sessions.
awesome
Student Union Election Coordinator - Student (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 June 2018
i didnt not emnjoy it at all. do not recomnd it at all
managers are not there and it is not the best place to be. i will work again there if the locations was a bit different
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 May 2018
Overall working for MUN is ok, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Benefits are satisfactory. Compensation leaves something to be desired.
Great place to work.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 May 2018
The pay is great and the routine as a TA is very flexible. You have a date to deliver the activities, so you can do at your own pace.
The load and responsibilities depend on the professor.
3rd Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 May 2018
Good place to learn in a 1st Class plant, opportunity to write higher steam tickets is there. CoWorkers ok, Work environment was a bit quiet. There was room to take advantage of free courses
Pros
Good place, steady job
Cons
Shift schedule is terrible
MUN is a very large employer - review is highly reflective of specific department
Animal Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 May 2018
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL, and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Great salary and benefits, and overall great atmosphere for growth. My lack of job satisfaction is a directly related to the management of my department, one person in particular, so I can't speak for the rest of MUN. However, MUN just implemented a new overtime policy which is really upsetting considering I have worked countless weekends. I am lucky to have a position with great job security.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, summer hours, green space nearby
Cons
Management at a departmental level
Visiting scientist
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 April 2018
At the Memorial University of Newfoundland, I worked less than two months as a visiting scientist. For me it was a first place of work outside Russia. My visit was short but very productive.
In dependency in work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 April 2018
Here in MUN, you will find your workplace totally different. You need to work individually and I think it is a great challenge but MUN will teach you how will you deal with this challenge to be succeeded one in the world. Also the people always tend to assist you and it is more handy to you.
comprehensive university based in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
Systems Engineer / Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 April 2018
Memorial University has four main campuses and two satellite campuses across three regions of Newfoundland and Labrador, and in two countries (Canada and England).
Hmmm
Professional (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 March 2018
Working in HR at MUN was the most stressful time in my career. People are underpaid, overworked, and I can name several occasions where I felt I was being bullied. Leadership was so-so. Mostly it's what you expect from a pseudo-government organization - red tape, bureaucracy, people hanging out in their jobs too long, and general foolishness. I routinely had to punch 5-6 extra hours every week to barely keep my head above water, while my Director walked out the door on time every single day, it seemed. I took a lot of flak from people in other departments, often for things that were entirely out of my control. Going to work was hard most days. Parking was awful.
Pros
Cons
Pay, parking, leadership
Great
Referee (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 March 2018
MUCEP jobs are wonderful opportunities for the students at Memorial University. The flexibility of hours allow students to gain work experience without compromising their education and quality or school work.
good student job, great training, poor communication
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 March 2018
Great training, 1 full week before school, and then ongoing during the year. Was great to help pay for school housing and there was a good balance between school and work. I enjoyed the job overall but my RC was not helpful and never informed our building of anything going on. Poor supervisor skills. Good job if I had a different boss.
Fun and fulfilling
Computer Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 February 2018
MUCEP part time jobs are a great way to build experience especially under friendly bosses. Studies are prioritized over work. Work hours are flexible.
fun workplace
program coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 January 2018
Both positions I worked with memorial university were both fun positions where I got to work with the local community. I got to work in the fields I am passionate about: Mental health and therapeutic recreation.
Come for the people
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 December 2017
The pay is terrible but the work life balance is great. If you like be challanged every day look elsewhere. Rolls are very structured.

However, NL is one of the best places in Canada.
hard working
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL23 December 2017
I take the order and follow task that need to be done check with the customer working with little supervision easy going I am attentive to details .
Pros
free lunches
Great group of coworkers
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 November 2017
Good chance of advancment. Variety of opportunities.
Good benefits, snow days.
Good opportunity to learn many different operations.
Free education, one course per semester.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
Aging buildings
Great working morale
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 October 2017
I have worked here since 2009. I have been working customer service on the front desk. The working morale is wonderful, uplifting and motivating. I book rooms for conferences, seminars and teaching spaces for the school of medicine. I assist those with technology.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Technology