Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews

Friendly
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canada, NL25 October 2018
Memorial University of Newfoundland is a nice and friendly place to work, however, you should be prepared for long winters and snow storms. Overall, I recommend this place.
Indepence
Oil and Gas Engineer (PhD Researcher) (Current Employee) –  CA19 October 2018
You basically are thrown in the water to swim and at the same time find something the ocean which is yet to be discovered. If you can't swim, you drown. If you can swim, then you need to dive and find something. I guess that is research here
Fun place, very productive, no day is the same.
Internship (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 October 2018
I worked for a brief 8 weeks with Memorial University within Facilities Management building for my internship.
The job was absolutely outstanding, and the people I worked for were the best of the bunch.
I had a lot of different tasks, which allowed me to extend my understanding of Human Resources and learn first hand the different situations you can find yourself in within the field.
I was also given the great opportunity to attend meetings, interviews, and orientation days so that I could learn more, gain experience, and apply my own knowledge.
The staff were always funny, approachable, and kind to me, and accepted me as a part of the team. Anyone to work for them would be nothing less than lucky.
Pros
Fabulous staff, and great hands on experience.
Cons
Only lasted 8 weeks!!
It's a great place to work
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 September 2018
Typical day - checking emails/mail, processing claims, etc
I learned a lot in my 10 years here
For the most part management is awesome.
The best part of the job is meeting new people, learning new things - everyday there's something new.
productive and interesting workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 July 2018
I have learnt to be careful of any details and never give up making the work perfect. The hardest part of the job is you never know if the topic you chose is correct or not. After several months' experiments, you may find out the topic is wrong and you have to start over from the very beginning. However, the challenge also cultured me to be a hard-working person.
good place to work
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 June 2018
• Conducted formal & informal inspections, snapshot audits, behavioural observations and completed the required paperwork associated with each
• Reviewed Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) & Safe Work Practices as submitted by contractors
• Developed safety bulletins and alerts
• Conducted formal and informal lab safety inspections
• Identified equipment and policy improvements to comply with legislation
• Conducted fire inspections and drills to comply with fire regulations
• Developed a report on asbestos-contaminating materials for building occupants
Good
Intermediate Clerk Stenographer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 June 2018
its a great place to start off. there is room for movement with in the university, but it can be hard to get the experience to move around if you dont ask for the training sessions.
awesome
Student Union Election Coordinator - Student (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 June 2018
i didnt not emnjoy it at all. do not recomnd it at all
managers are not there and it is not the best place to be. i will work again there if the locations was a bit different
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 May 2018
Overall working for MUN is ok, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Benefits are satisfactory. Compensation leaves something to be desired.
Great place to work.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 May 2018
The pay is great and the routine as a TA is very flexible. You have a date to deliver the activities, so you can do at your own pace.
The load and responsibilities depend on the professor.
3rd Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 May 2018
Good place to learn in a 1st Class plant, opportunity to write higher steam tickets is there. CoWorkers ok, Work environment was a bit quiet. There was room to take advantage of free courses
Pros
Good place, steady job
Cons
Shift schedule is terrible
MUN is a very large employer - review is highly reflective of specific department
Animal Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 May 2018
Overall working for MUN is great, but not perfect and there are lots of very different positions within the university. MUN is one of the larger employers in NL, and their HR department seems understaffed for the demand. Great salary and benefits, and overall great atmosphere for growth. My lack of job satisfaction is a directly related to the management of my department, one person in particular, so I can't speak for the rest of MUN. However, MUN just implemented a new overtime policy which is really upsetting considering I have worked countless weekends. I am lucky to have a position with great job security.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, summer hours, green space nearby
Cons
Management at a departmental level
Visiting scientist
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 April 2018
At the Memorial University of Newfoundland, I worked less than two months as a visiting scientist. For me it was a first place of work outside Russia. My visit was short but very productive.
In dependency in work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 April 2018
Here in MUN, you will find your workplace totally different. You need to work individually and I think it is a great challenge but MUN will teach you how will you deal with this challenge to be succeeded one in the world. Also the people always tend to assist you and it is more handy to you.
comprehensive university based in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
Systems Engineer / Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 April 2018
Memorial University has four main campuses and two satellite campuses across three regions of Newfoundland and Labrador, and in two countries (Canada and England).
Hmmm
Professional (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 March 2018
Working in HR at MUN was the most stressful time in my career. People are underpaid, overworked, and I can name several occasions where I felt I was being bullied. Leadership was so-so. Mostly it's what you expect from a pseudo-government organization - red tape, bureaucracy, people hanging out in their jobs too long, and general foolishness. I routinely had to punch 5-6 extra hours every week to barely keep my head above water, while my Director walked out the door on time every single day, it seemed. I took a lot of flak from people in other departments, often for things that were entirely out of my control. Going to work was hard most days. Parking was awful.
Pros
Cons
Pay, parking, leadership
Great
Referee (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 March 2018
MUCEP jobs are wonderful opportunities for the students at Memorial University. The flexibility of hours allow students to gain work experience without compromising their education and quality or school work.
good student job, great training, poor communication
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 March 2018
Great training, 1 full week before school, and then ongoing during the year. Was great to help pay for school housing and there was a good balance between school and work. I enjoyed the job overall but my RC was not helpful and never informed our building of anything going on. Poor supervisor skills. Good job if I had a different boss.
Fun and fulfilling
Computer Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 February 2018
MUCEP part time jobs are a great way to build experience especially under friendly bosses. Studies are prioritized over work. Work hours are flexible.
fun workplace
program coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 January 2018
Both positions I worked with memorial university were both fun positions where I got to work with the local community. I got to work in the fields I am passionate about: Mental health and therapeutic recreation.