Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews

No job security
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador24 April 2019
Like most universities, Memorial gives adjunct professors very little pay and absolutely no job security. I have nothing else to add to this review. It is not only Memorial's fault.
Great Environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 April 2019
Helpful, They provide great environment for work. Specially for the students. They provide part time and full time jobs both administrative and hourly. Pays good.
Productive work place with supportive associates
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 April 2019
Memorial University is a perfect academic place for studying with informative associates and high-standard management. Colleagues are protective and work environment is proper and productive.
Work with professors
Research Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 April 2019
Researching data for university professors.
Usually, scrapping metadata and trim those into a decent excel file.
It was very nice to communicate with professors.
Excellent
Biology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 March 2019
This is a very professional environment, people are polite and honest. I have had a wonderful time working here and I really enjoyed my time.
I highly recommend people to work here.
Decent place to work
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland & Labrador13 March 2019
Clerk
Good place to work. Some staff take advantage of days off... arrive when they feel like it leaving others to bear the extra load without extra compensation. All depts are not like this but some are. Ive also worked in other depts that increase your salary as per policy if you do a higher positions work.

Managers, Directors and all senior should treat all employees equal.

Job security doesnt exist for contractual employees.
They cant stir the pot.
Pros
Co workers are great mostly
Cons
No security
A good position for student
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2019
I am a research and teaching assistant in mechanical engineering, doing design, experiment and writing papers, providing help for students. I like my current position.
Wonderful place to work
Secretary, (secondment) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 February 2019
Did a secondment there for 1 1/2 years to try a change. It was a nice experience, wonderful people to work with. My job consisted of arranging a lot of meetings, travel arrangements etc.
Pros
Nice place to work
Lots of opportunities
Intermediate Clerk Stenographer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 February 2019
I am on front desk greeting students, co-workers, faculty. I have done some training on different programs: Visio, Sitebuilder. I do a lot of documentation in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher. My boss is fantastic to work for. I do a lot of arranging of hosting for various conferences, workshops etc. The most enjoyable part of my day is communicating with people.
Pros
Training Sessions
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Intermediate Clerk Stenorapher II (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 February 2019
Fantastic place to work. IL work on front desk and am working with 28 co-workers plus 52 faculty members and they are wonderful people to deal with. We have a lot of socials and with a lot of interaction with people. We have sessions to better our selves personally as well as professionally
Pros
Sessions and training available.
Cons
I am a ful time international student here with study permit
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL23 February 2019
Memorial university is a very good university. Faculties are knowledgeable, helpful, and resource materials are available in library. It's an ideal place for study.
Great Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 January 2019
Quiet location. Expensive live in the city; cheap accommodation. Boring and cold city. Friendly workplace. No consideration for life responsibilities.
This was a very good beginners job.
STUDENT SUPPORT ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador1 January 2019
This job got me introduced into the work field and into a very public environment, namely the university I was attending at the time. It allowed me to flesh out my view of what an office work space was, what to expect from such and to improve upon my communication skills and how I work in hierarchy of office life.I was a very enjoyable position and all of my colleagues were supportive and cheery. I would work there again.
Fun volunteer experience
Volunteering-Coats (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 December 2018
The volunteer opportunity I got with Mun was a program called Coats for kids. A typical day according to my scheduled time was no less than three hours of sorting coats. Management was sociable and helpful. The hardest part of the job was sorting through about a thousand donated coats, scarves, mittens and shoes. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community bus run where we took the coats in a metro bus to different communities
RA - positive experience
Senior Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2018
I have enjoyed my time as an employee of Memorial Univerisity of Newfoundland. However, my circumstances are quite unique and perhaps not reflective of the broader community.
Productive and interesting place to work
Intermediate Secretary (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 October 2018
The Leslie Harris Centre is a great place to work, you are always in the loop on current events and happenings. Great interacting with the public and helping in matters that affect people and their communities. Everyone works great as a team.
Friendly
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canada, NL25 October 2018
Memorial University of Newfoundland is a nice and friendly place to work, however, you should be prepared for long winters and snow storms. Overall, I recommend this place.
Indepence
Oil and Gas Engineer (PhD Researcher) (Current Employee) –  CA19 October 2018
You basically are thrown in the water to swim and at the same time find something the ocean which is yet to be discovered. If you can't swim, you drown. If you can swim, then you need to dive and find something. I guess that is research here
Fun place, very productive, no day is the same.
Internship (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 October 2018
I worked for a brief 8 weeks with Memorial University within Facilities Management building for my internship.
The job was absolutely outstanding, and the people I worked for were the best of the bunch.
I had a lot of different tasks, which allowed me to extend my understanding of Human Resources and learn first hand the different situations you can find yourself in within the field.
I was also given the great opportunity to attend meetings, interviews, and orientation days so that I could learn more, gain experience, and apply my own knowledge.
The staff were always funny, approachable, and kind to me, and accepted me as a part of the team. Anyone to work for them would be nothing less than lucky.
Pros
Fabulous staff, and great hands on experience.
Cons
Only lasted 8 weeks!!
It's a great place to work
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 September 2018
Typical day - checking emails/mail, processing claims, etc
I learned a lot in my 10 years here
For the most part management is awesome.
The best part of the job is meeting new people, learning new things - everyday there's something new.