Memorial University of Newfoundland Employee Reviews

In dependency in work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 April 2018
Here in MUN, you will find your workplace totally different. You need to work individually and I think it is a great challenge but MUN will teach you how will you deal with this challenge to be succeeded one in the world. Also the people always tend to assist you and it is more handy to you.
comprehensive university based in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
Systems Engineer / Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 April 2018
Memorial University has four main campuses and two satellite campuses across three regions of Newfoundland and Labrador, and in two countries (Canada and England).
Hmmm
Professional (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 March 2018
Working in HR at MUN was the most stressful time in my career. People are underpaid, overworked, and I can name several occasions where I felt I was being bullied. Leadership was so-so. Mostly it's what you expect from a pseudo-government organization - red tape, bureaucracy, people hanging out in their jobs too long, and general foolishness. I routinely had to punch 5-6 extra hours every week to barely keep my head above water, while my Director walked out the door on time every single day, it seemed. I took a lot of flak from people in other departments, often for things that were entirely out of my control. Going to work was hard most days. Parking was awful.
Pros
Cons
Pay, parking, leadership
Great
Referee (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 March 2018
MUCEP jobs are wonderful opportunities for the students at Memorial University. The flexibility of hours allow students to gain work experience without compromising their education and quality or school work.
good student job, great training, poor communication
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 March 2018
Great training, 1 full week before school, and then ongoing during the year. Was great to help pay for school housing and there was a good balance between school and work. I enjoyed the job overall but my RC was not helpful and never informed our building of anything going on. Poor supervisor skills. Good job if I had a different boss.
Fun and fulfilling
Computer Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 February 2018
MUCEP part time jobs are a great way to build experience especially under friendly bosses. Studies are prioritized over work. Work hours are flexible.
fun workplace
program coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 January 2018
Both positions I worked with memorial university were both fun positions where I got to work with the local community. I got to work in the fields I am passionate about: Mental health and therapeutic recreation.
Come for the people
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 December 2017
The pay is terrible but the work life balance is great. If you like be challanged every day look elsewhere. Rolls are very structured.

However, NL is one of the best places in Canada.
hard working
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL23 December 2017
I take the order and follow task that need to be done check with the customer working with little supervision easy going I am attentive to details .
Pros
free lunches
Great group of coworkers
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 November 2017
Good chance of advancment. Variety of opportunities.
Good benefits, snow days.
Good opportunity to learn many different operations.
Free education, one course per semester.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
Aging buildings
Great working morale
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 October 2017
I have worked here since 2009. I have been working customer service on the front desk. The working morale is wonderful, uplifting and motivating. I book rooms for conferences, seminars and teaching spaces for the school of medicine. I assist those with technology.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Technology
Fun and easy to do to help training doctors
Faculty (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 October 2017
Easy job and well pay for young kids trying to make some money and very helpful for training nurses and doctors to become well educated on a real person and not on a doll or mannequin.
Pros
Easy to do, Very fun
Cons
Did not work often
great job
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 September 2017
Great job, worked here for 30 years, Great benifites, job security,education.12 hr shifts, give lots of time off. the down side being you sometimes miss life events.
Pros
time off
Cons
shift work
Excellent place to work, with lovely colleagues
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 September 2017
At Memorial I worked as assistant to a researcher in Genetics, maintaining and updating a database of pedigrees (family trees) using the Cyrillic and Progeny computer programs, which were new to me. I also maintained the associated filing system of medical information, and did typing and reprographic work as required.

It was a very friendly place to work, and my bosses were always very appreciative of what I did.

It was very rewarding to produce a complicated pedigree and work out how to make the program do what I needed it to do.

The hardest part was waiting to find out if research funding was going to be available, and having to give up the job when the funding ran out.
Pros
My hours were flexible
Cons
Insecurity because of research funding
Wonderful educational institution
Library Assistant VIII (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 September 2017
I have enjoyed working here for the past 15 years. I have learned many great things like research skills and customer service skills. Organizational change is limiting my ability to advance my career.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
Evening work
Best place to research and study
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 July 2017
design and research
execution of research models
work day
Language Tutor/ TA (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 July 2017
I would start along with students, have my lunch during breaks and help support the learning process throughout the day when classes were offered.

My favorite part of the job was the language details issue and explaining those to students: grammar issues, translation issues.

Hardest part of the job was that sometime it run into evenings work on top of day's work.

All the rest was very good.
Pros
attention to detail
Cons
long hours at times
Laid back
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 April 2017
Profs were easy going and laid back. I was required to answer students' questions during lab sessions and helped demonstrate concepts and techniques. Enjoyed partaking in field trips.
Pretty Good!
Student Telefund Communicator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 April 2017
Great staff, flexible hours. Job is a little repetitive but it's rewarding because you're helping raise money for students. Overall a good experience.
3D Artist/Modeler (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 March 2017
I had all the benefits of working at the university (snow days, pension, health insurance). Had a chance to work with some great people. Professional work environment