Medicine Hat College Employee Reviews

Thoroughly enjoyed
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 January 2019
I enjoyed creating my own content to instruct on, and collaborated with other instructors to develop engaging activities and ways to present the content.
Professional Staff
Residence Assistant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 December 2018
good work life balance, very nice and professional people to work with.
The college community and the staff are very supportive and there for any help needed during the RA shifts.
Some of the Administration and Faculty have Fake Degrees.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB27 October 2018
You would think that a government funded college would have processes to determine whether or not members of the Administration and/or Faculty have legitimate degrees.

Perhaps those responsible are turning a blind eye.

During my tenure there were a few occurrences of employees possessing fake degrees. A simple Google search would classify some of these institutions as "Degree Mills" and even the CBC Marketplace did a piece on this last year.

It is an absolute disservice to both the community at large and the students to have Management and/or Instructors (even Deans for that matter) that either have a fake degree or no education at all.

It's a shame that this is allowed to happen.
Pros
Large, renovated facility
Cons
Unqualified personnel, lack of transparency
great place, good people
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 September 2018
Very supportive place to work.Great group of experienced tradesmen to work beside. Student oriented and driven. The college has a very supportive view on allowing instructors to expand on there knowledge in there area.
Independent Manager and Imprementer of kids' programming
Summer Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 April 2018
Although there wasn't a lot of guidance for this job, it was a wonderful opportunity to use creativity and create and implement my own summer camp programming for kids. I taught group music lessons to little ones. I also experienced being part of a system, with things like asking parents to review my programming and reporting attendance.
Pros
Independent, fun
Cons
Not a lot of guidance
A workplace rife with favoritism and harassment
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 February 2018
Worked for a year at Medicine Hat College. Though the college would like to say it has turned a new page with regards to transparency it is still rife with favoritism and harassment.

It does not matter how good your work ethic is and how well you perform. If you are not in your supervisor's immediate circle they will not even have the decency to give you a performance review or include you in any decision making related to your classes.

Expect to see displays of favoritism towards certain employees and visible, open forms of harassment towards unfavored employees in this workplace should you choose to work here.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Favoritism, Nepotism, Unethical Supervisors
Horrible place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB31 July 2017
This is a very unstable place. The management team is weak and the executive team is very curupt. In the time I was there the amount of human rights violations I witnessed made it too uncomfortable to stay. They pay very poorly for what they expect of the employees. It broke my heart to see post secondary students and front line employees struggling well executives and management get raise upon raise and advocate for more money to "support students". No training or support was offered to new staff but the expectations were high. I found many community resources unwilling to work with the college based on past experiences. There are amazing places to work in this city I would suggest staying away from this one.
Pros
Frontline staff
Cons
Weak management disorganized no support low pay no transparency
Overall Great
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB26 July 2017
Great manager, great team, flexible schedule. Opportunities for growth and to contribute to role I was in. Suited my personality and was able to work independently as well.
Welcoming and inclusive
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB24 May 2017
Although I worked there short term, my experience was welcoming and inclusive and supportive.

I worked at the Brooks Campus which seemed to have less crisis than the Medicine Hat College Campus. There definitely was a need for mental health outreach and reducing stigma to increase access to counselling support services.

Overall, this was a great position.
Great place for summer students
Graphic Design (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB9 May 2017
Great place for summer students work in there, and to know many different cultures. Have fun every day. Love working in there. I learned a lot when I was working in there
a place where people respect each other
China Representative, International Education (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB4 May 2017
A typical day was pleasant with reasonable workload.

I have learned about Canadian and Chinese international education related regulations and protocols.

The management was professional in general.

The workplace culture was encouraging, supportive and understanding.

The hardest part of the job was that there was an agent in China trying to use me as a free translator for his other business.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to initiate, negotiate and form new programs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
the college doesn't have many degree programs to offer
Great job to have during school year.
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 March 2017
Tasks were easily accomplished and well determined. Supervisor lacked leadership, management skills, and organizational skills where there was a discrepancy on dealing and communicating with other employees as well as motivating, politely, and properly delegating tasks.

It was a great place to work while being part of the Basketball team and taking a heavy load of classes. Unfortunately there was not much to learn from the job to improve my professional experiences, but it clearly helped cover my monthly expenses to live.
Pros
Flexible, enjoyable, and great pay.
Cons
Management, lack of organization and leadership.
good
Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB3 February 2017
Detailed operation and preventative maintenance of turbines, pumps, motors, condensers and compressors.
Practical understanding and operations of cooling water systems, high and low pressure steam systems, boiler feed water systems and deaerators.
Extensive working knowledge and preventative maintenance of fire tube and water tube boilers, packaged and field erected, including interlocks.
Vast comprehension of water treatment systems and tests, and adjusting chemical feeds appropriately
advancing with education and partnering with Mount Royal University
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB25 October 2016
great the MHC now has a 4 year education program that allows for students to complete a B Ed within Medicine Hat. Many of our students graduating from high school like the economics of being able to attend a college of this level with many 4 year degrees.
Pros
small college atmosphere, small classes
Cons
limited courses
Great place to work.
Part - Time Music Instructor (Current Employee) –  medicine hat, AB25 March 2015
Supportive staff, and great place to work. You are made to feel part of a team, and everyone is encouarging. I have really enjoyed working here.
Wonderful and enlightening place to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 January 2015
I was a student at the MHC for the first two years of my degree and once I had graduated, they contacted me and asked if I would like to come back and teach there. It was an honor to do so and I worked for 2 years when my husband got a job in Raymond, AB. Our boys were big basketball fans and there was a great program at Raymond so we moved and I said good bye to my job, but, it was a great experience and I enjoyed it immensely.
Pros
All Pros
Cons
No Cons
Really good place to work
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB2 May 2014
really good pay
management not the best depending on department
events happen during the summer
full days of work normally