Medicine Hat College

Medicine Hat College Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
The College was a good place to work with great support from management and co-workers. The A.B.L.E program was an excellent program set up to help immigrants improve their English speaking skills. It was a rewarding and much needed program which I enjoyed not only working but also volunteering for.
I answered phones and emails for the program head and recruited and scheduled volunteer tutors and ESL students. I have extensive experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point. I was responsible for creating and maintaining a Facebook Page and a monthly newsletter to promote the A.B.L.E Program.
Pros
Rewarding, benefits
Cons
Summers off = no income
I was offered the position of instructor in the office technology department after having started my education there. Both being a student and teaching at MHC was an incredible experience
High expectaions from a minimum wage job
No accountability on management and supervisors..

Supervisor is often unprepared and is often heard talking badly about staff members and students including racist remarks
The College has no leadership. Deans,Associates Deans and Chairs promote bullying and do not value what current employees bring into the classroom regarding experience and skills. Constant harassment.Unless you are their favourite or suck up that’s the only way to survive. The board needs to clean house and see why the College treats staff disposable.
Pros
Students
Cons
The work place environment
A typical day of work consisted of going in for a rehearsal once a week. I learned how amazing working with kids can be as well as sharpened my accompanying skills in piano. The management was great for that time in my life. I was incredibly busy so this job was perfect with it being flexible to my time when I was away for competitions. The hardest part of this job was definitely learning the music on the spot. This however was an incredibly beneficial learning experience for me. The most enjoyable part was working with the conductor and creating music.
Pros
Flexible hours and good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
I enjoyed creating my own content to instruct on, and collaborated with other instructors to develop engaging activities and ways to present the content.
good work life balance, very nice and professional people to work with.
The college community and the staff are very supportive and there for any help needed during the RA shifts.
You would think that a government funded college would have processes to determine whether or not members of the Administration and/or Faculty have legitimate degrees.

Perhaps those responsible are turning a blind eye.

During my tenure there were a few occurrences of employees possessing fake degrees. A simple Google search would classify some of these institutions as "Degree Mills" and even the CBC Marketplace did a piece on this last year.

It is an absolute disservice to both the community at large and the students to have Management and/or Instructors (even Deans for that matter) that either have a fake degree or no education at all.

It's a shame that this is allowed to happen.
Pros
Large, renovated facility
Cons
Unqualified personnel, lack of transparency
Very supportive place to work.Great group of experienced tradesmen to work beside. Student oriented and driven. The college has a very supportive view on allowing instructors to expand on there knowledge in there area.
Although there wasn't a lot of guidance for this job, it was a wonderful opportunity to use creativity and create and implement my own summer camp programming for kids. I taught group music lessons to little ones. I also experienced being part of a system, with things like asking parents to review my programming and reporting attendance.
Pros
Independent, fun
Cons
Not a lot of guidance
Worked for a year at Medicine Hat College. Though the college would like to say it has turned a new page with regards to transparency it is still rife with favoritism and harassment.

It does not matter how good your work ethic is and how well you perform. If you are not in your supervisor's immediate circle they will not even have the decency to give you a performance review or include you in any decision making related to your classes.

Expect to see displays of favoritism towards certain employees and visible, open forms of harassment towards unfavored employees in this workplace should you choose to work here.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Favoritism, Nepotism, Unethical Supervisors
This is a very unstable place. The management team is weak and the executive team is very curupt. In the time I was there the amount of human rights violations I witnessed made it too uncomfortable to stay. They pay very poorly for what they expect of the employees. It broke my heart to see post secondary students and front line employees struggling well executives and management get raise upon raise and advocate for more money to "support students". No training or support was offered to new staff but the expectations were high. I found many community resources unwilling to work with the college based on past experiences. There are amazing places to work in this city I would suggest staying away from this one.
Pros
Frontline staff
Cons
Weak management disorganized no support low pay no transparency
Great manager, great team, flexible schedule. Opportunities for growth and to contribute to role I was in. Suited my personality and was able to work independently as well.
Although I worked there short term, my experience was welcoming and inclusive and supportive.

I worked at the Brooks Campus which seemed to have less crisis than the Medicine Hat College Campus. There definitely was a need for mental health outreach and reducing stigma to increase access to counselling support services.

Overall, this was a great position.
Great place for summer students work in there, and to know many different cultures. Have fun every day. Love working in there. I learned a lot when I was working in there
A typical day was pleasant with reasonable workload.

I have learned about Canadian and Chinese international education related regulations and protocols.

The management was professional in general.

The workplace culture was encouraging, supportive and understanding.

The hardest part of the job was that there was an agent in China trying to use me as a free translator for his other business.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to initiate, negotiate and form new programs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
the college doesn't have many degree programs to offer
Tasks were easily accomplished and well determined. Supervisor lacked leadership, management skills, and organizational skills where there was a discrepancy on dealing and communicating with other employees as well as motivating, politely, and properly delegating tasks.

It was a great place to work while being part of the Basketball team and taking a heavy load of classes. Unfortunately there was not much to learn from the job to improve my professional experiences, but it clearly helped cover my monthly expenses to live.
Pros
Flexible, enjoyable, and great pay.
Cons
Management, lack of organization and leadership.
Detailed operation and preventative maintenance of turbines, pumps, motors, condensers and compressors.
Practical understanding and operations of cooling water systems, high and low pressure steam systems, boiler feed water systems and deaerators.

Extensive working knowledge and preventative maintenance of fire tube and water tube boilers, packaged and field erected, including interlocks.

Vast comprehension of water treatment systems and tests, and adjusting chemical feeds appropriately
great the MHC now has a 4 year education program that allows for students to complete a B Ed within Medicine Hat. Many of our students graduating from high school like the economics of being able to attend a college of this level with many 4 year degrees.
Pros
small college atmosphere, small classes
Cons
limited courses
Supportive staff, and great place to work. You are made to feel part of a team, and everyone is encouarging. I have really enjoyed working here.
I was a student at the MHC for the first two years of my degree and once I had graduated, they contacted me and asked if I would like to come back and teach there. It was an honor to do so and I worked for 2 years when my husband got a job in Raymond, AB. Our boys were big basketball fans and there was a great program at Raymond so we moved and I said good bye to my job, but, it was a great experience and I enjoyed it immensely.
Pros
All Pros
Cons
No Cons