Medcan
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Medcan Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
The work culture is great, however there is not many full time opportunities and salaries are quite low compared to similar positions. I love working here due to the people, clients and atmosphere in the clinic, but would prefer better advancements.
-The senior leadership has destroyed what was once a positive work culture. CEO does not value employees. Has an attitude of 'if you don't like it then leave'.
- As a 'wellness company', puts no effort into ensuring their own house is 'well'. People on stress leave; job security is very low; little collaboration as people focused solely on own deliverables; water cooler chat frowned upon...

-CEO is rarely present and does not interact with regular employees when he is. He is a very poor leader who does not know how to motivate employees.

-Extremely high attrition. Talent leaves as there's no room to grow a career.

- Strongly recommend that you stay away. If not, I can guarantee you'll be wishing you took this advice less than a month into the job
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
You'll work your butt off to support the pocket-book of the CEO; then you'll leave.
Employee’s skills, knowledge and quality of their work is not appreciated by the management. They are pushy and don’t treat people with respect and dignity. Too many directors and managers. Management is not professional. Lack of transparency and healthy dialog with employees. No room for growth. This place is revolving door, many good employees leave.
Pros
Good location, nice office rooms.
Cons
Useless management in some departments.
Management does not care for your work - life balance. There are extreme favoritism. Very hostile work environment. No one bats an eye against senior employee being inappropriate.

Its all about the profit. A lot of departments not knowledgeable on each other. A lot of pointing fingers.

Its not worth your mental health to work here.
Pros
Occasional Cupcakes
Cons
Overtime without approval
I've been working there for 10 years. I love the people I work with and my manager. The company treated me well. job security is not guaranteed of course. they're not unionized.
i loved working at Medcan, it's my bread and butter and they treat you good. i learned a lot and i'v been 10 years working in this progressive company and now i am one of the luckiest one getting my Sabbatical ( 10 weeks ) off with pay.
When I first started it was a great place to work. There was a lot of turn over in upper management. When some of the new management started things changed for the worse.
Pros
Great commissions.
Terrible culture. You'll want to leave before your mental health declines. Everyone around you will leave. New people will come in only to find a complete and total disaster. Your bonus will be disappointing.

I would only recommend this company if you don't have a job or need to leave your existing job immediately.
Horrible place to work. No empathy, no sympathy. No principles. Workers are rude and disrespectful. The place is too far and hard on my pocket to commute
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Medcan?
Perks include access to physicians. Unfortunately, management doesn't do its job of leading and overseeing problem employees. Some very lazy people get away with doing very little. Not a good corporate culture. Patients complaining about an overly salesy environment.
people who have been there longer than me arent happy to the point of making jokes of starting a union.
pay was great and it is not a hard job but Culture was not a right fit for myself as I am looking for a long term career
Work tirelessly to never get ahead.
Have worked for many years with ever growing responsibilities with not one pay increase.

They slashed benefits, froze everyone's wage,

Place is a revolving door.

They would rather you quit after many years of service so they can hire someone new at a lower wage.

They have no care for they're employees.

Look somewhere else for employment!
Pros
Some nice people here
Cons
Management and executives are horrible
The culture is very poor; there is low moral, no positive environment. A lot of great people leave because of the environment, which shows those that leave, leave a toxic environment. High turn around rate, Higher management don't seem to pay attention to the culture.
Pros
Health care access
Cons
Poor salary
To start with, the most amazing part of this company is it does not let you feel like you are a employee. Work is good and great seniors to guide. You feel you are in safe hands.
A great service to promote and sell if you are passionate about health and benefits.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to take on other roles and chances, reduce turnover of middle management - trust them more and their judgement.
Very very very high turn-over in this company. I was there 8 months before being laid off and every single face had come in after my time...except for the select few in upper management. They pretend to care about employee NPS, but they don't. They don't value their employees at all.
Pros
Fitness training, annual health assessment
Cons
poor vision, poor management
nearly impossible to climb the corporate latter here - salary is also low - so good place to start, but do not look to stay here unless you are content with a low wage job and no movement
A typical day starts off looking at alerts and going through security logs. Then go through helpdesk items and prioritizing for the day. Along with looking at helpdesk, we also look at what projects need attention and plan work accordingly.
I love my managers they are really great. The days are not too long. However, the job can become very repetitive. coworkers are amazing. I Would definitely recommend this job.
Pros
free food, good work culture
Cons
repetitive tasks
A fun place to work for young professionals, frequent work parties and a social team. Not much room to grow in the organization unless you have a business degree.
Management is more focused on $$$ and less on patient care. The amount of money a client spends dictates level of service.

Workload is crazy, no time for breaks or lunch. You will put in a lot of extra hours (unpaid) just to get your work done. Many wonderful and caring people have left the organization as a result.

Staff complain CONSTANTLY about the poor working environment, workload and stress but are too afraid to speak up. Very negative environment and a lot of unhappy people. Medcan likes staff who smile and say "YES" to everything, no matter the toll it takes on you.

Director in the patient support area does not listen or take concerns seriously. Very dismissive and will talk right over you. HR is distant and also does what they are told. No one is standing up for or helping staff.
Pros
Good benefits, bonus and some other nice perks
Cons
Long hours, high turnover, terrible people manager