Mecca Bingo Employee Reviews

No benefits!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Doncaster8 April 2018
Theres no chance of progression as they use favoritism to progress. The pay is not competitive, it is minimum wage. Theres no benefits besides a pension scheme. Unsociable hours, paid at normal minimum wage.
A typical day at work is being short staffed as as a company hours have been cut, therefore having to do several peoples job.
In the last 2 years around 2 dozen people have left, many people have not lasted more than a month or two! Some leave after a week!
Pros
50% off food and drink while at work
Cons
Dont get a chance to eat at work to get the discount which is only pro
Fun to work but not for a career
Senior Team Member/Non-Gaming Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dundee19 March 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Mecca bingo. I worked there for just under 4 years as I was a student. The job is perfect for students as the company normally needs more staff on during the evenings and at weekends. However, to work there full-time would be a chore and to contrast to what was said before, the hours would eventually get to me especially if I had children as I would never get to see them. Overall the company is okay to work for and excellent if you're looking for part-time work.
Pros
No age-discrimination for hourly pay (at time of writing)
Cons
Hours
Good people getting squeezed
Team Member (Current Employee) –  York6 February 2018
I really want to write positive things about Mecca Bingo, but the ongoing squeeze on staff following on from an ongoing decline in customers has made the daily routine stressful and lacking in fun. You are rarely mentally challenged and the companies management seem to be severely lacking in an understanding of how the clubs operate and stifle opinions on the matter.. Having said that, the people (both the customers and the staff) are what making working at Mecca bingo a positive experience.
Pros
The team and the customers
Cons
short shifts that regularly change.
Fun place to work
Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City18 January 2018
I enjoyed working here, it was very busty and there was always something to be done so the days passed very quickly. The staff and management were helpful for the most part and the customers were lovely.
fun and friendly
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wishaw, North Lanarkshire8 January 2018
i had to clean the bingo hall,toilets,offices and machines. it was a friendly place to work and i got on with the other emplyees. i liked working with the public.
Pros
worked mornings and afternoons.
Cons
some morning were hard getting babysitters
Fun place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool18 December 2017
Worked in a variety of different roles within the company including bar work, reception, counting house, and customer enquiries. Meeting and greeting new and existing members, registering new members, issuing and checking tickets to confirm claims
Not worth the wages
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wales5 December 2017
Mecca was very busy at times, or very quiet. The full days are very long and you will be on your feet without many chances to sit and rest. Often it is so busy you are unable to take your full break entitlement. They don't care if you miss your break, but if you arrive late they will have a serious discussion in the office.

It can be very stressful at times due to the demands of the customers and I found that some of the staff did not cope well with this.

My experience is a 1* rating. But perhaps others will enjoy it. You will need lots of energy and be willing to work long days. I did not like the split shift on full days.
Pros
Cons
Late finishes, long hours on feet in uncomfortable shoes. Stressful environment.
Under staffed , rude and no consideration
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire1 December 2017
I worked at bingo for a long time and the managers don’t give you the correct training if they do it’s chuck you on a department and expect you to know what your doing. They messed up my pay every month I done over time and never received it and Work members were very clicky
Cons
Long hours, low pay, unapproachable managers
positive company
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland10 November 2017
good work place good ethics and fun. respectable company great benefits and staff are very friendly. I worked here for 11 year and loved every minute and learned a whole lot.
Pros
always around pepole
Cons
shift patterns
Nice place to work
Senior Team Member (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire8 November 2017
Good place to learn great customer service skills, dealing with customers from all backgrounds. Learning to deal with effective and polite manners with difficult customers. Great team and supporting management.
Loved working here
Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City8 November 2017
This was a very enjoyable place to work. I loved everything about this job and it sometimes didn't feel like I was working. Highly recommended place to work.
Not a good place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kingstanding25 October 2017
Terrible pay, under staffed and overall a totally un- professional environment. training is non-existent. long term members of staff get to do what they want when they want whilst new ones are asked to do all the work. Team members telling the management what to do. The hours are split shift which means staying all day with a lunch break for an hour.

Bullied by other members of staff
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Fun and vibrante workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Halifax16 October 2017
Only worked for mecca bingo for a short while and left due to being bullied by a member of staff who couldn't accept me for who I am.

Apart from being bullied I loved working for Mecca Bingo, each shift was different and varied and fun packed
cash line
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wrexham,7 October 2017
this was one of the best cjobs i have ever had cthe people were fun to work with managment were nice flexable if needed to be the staff would socialise out work
Pros
staff
Cons
split shifts
Great - If you don’t mind reducing your social life!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Dagenham5 October 2017
Mecca is a fantastic company to work for. I have worked for the company now for around 7 years. No two days are ever the same - and the the customers and your colleagues are what makes the job so enjoyable. It’s like being part of another family (a fairly big one at that!)

The only thing I would say - is don’t expect too much of a life outside of work - as they will tell you that you are on a “flexible rota” - which is a HR-correct way of saying you can work 14+ hours each day (and all weekend, every weekend) - and you cannot complain about it.
Pros
50% off Food, Colleagues, Networking, Friendly, Progression
Cons
Long hours, No Social Life, Bad Work/Life Balance
Mecca is a very fun place to work but can be very consuming in time around the lifestsyle of employees.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City14 September 2017
Mecca is a great place to learn and advance in and it has certainly helped me a lot over the years with experience in every field such as customer service, bar work, working with food and working with large amounts of money.
Pros
Free drinks, half prices meals, free meals after 6 hour shift.
Cons
Split shift takes up entire day.
productive and fun
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City9 September 2017
A day at mecca can be very busy and stressful but with the help of everyone doing their job makes it a lot easier. Management At Mecca are all approachable, and also understanding about anything. hardest part of the job is Saturday nights because its te busiest time of the week and we can get 800+ people in, and we could be short staffed which makes it a lot worst
Pros
free lunches and free taxi
Cons
short staff and long hours
Enjoyable place to work.
Office Controller (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon20 August 2017
I have worked for Mecca Bingo since 2012. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the company. .
productive fun place to work
Senior Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dundee City15 August 2017
loved working at mecca great staff and most customers felt likeifamily i learned how to do stocktaking and the daily running of kitchen i also learned about cashline and booksales but my fav part of job was working in kitchen doing cooking
I enjoyed working here. I left because the hours impacted on family life.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham7 August 2017
I worked here for ten years but the hours started to impact on my family life. I was sad to leave but i got a job at Morrisons wher the hours were better.
Pros
I loved working with the staff and customers
Cons
The hours were impacting on my family life.