McMaster University Employee Review

View all McMaster University reviews

A fun job to supplement my student work.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2013
Working as a Teaching Assistant was a part-time position where I led two tutorial groups of first year students twice a week each. The tutorials including helping students understand the material from lectures, supplementary readings, group work, marking presentations, tests and exams. I also held office hours where I provided students with feedback on their marks and rough drafts of papers. The professors I worked for were generally too busy with their own work to offer much over sight so the job was very independent. They usually answered any questions we had through E-mail and occasional meetings. The hardest part of the job was meeting expectations with little over sight. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting students to think outside the box and see things from new perspectives.
Pros
Convenient hours, convenient location, great pay, stimulating work
Cons
A lot of work especially during exam time. It was hard to balance everyones expectations

Other McMaster University Employee Reviews

Rewarding and fun experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 April 2018
I was a teaching assistant at the university and found the experience very rewarding. It helped me develop multiple skills and grow overall as a person.
Friendly and very nice workplace
Research Associate - Chemical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 April 2018
- Great facilities on campus (GYM, Health Care Center, Restaurant, day care for kids, ...).
- Nice people to work with.
- Awesome culture (Anti-racism)
- CUPE 3906 is here to support your right
Pros
Cons
No Job Security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3