McMaster University

3.6Pay & benefits

Insights into McMaster University

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

favorite job

definitely my favorite place to work, schedule is flexible, pay is fair and i always learn something when i'm working, management is great as well and super supportive

Great benefits, but the office politics is unbearable.

When I first started working there, things were great, but you soon find out there is a lot of office politics going on. No matter how much extra work you put in, management's friends advance even though they are less qualified than you.

Pros

Free university courses. Good benefits.

Cons

Office politics. Hard to advance. Stay there long enough to get your degree then leave.

Course Intructor on contract

really nice placeget employed by them if you have a chancebad students are gonna hate hate hate hate but that is not their fault. Although they might favour the students on some issues so stay careful!

Pros

almost everything: nice people, nice environment, nice benefits...

Cons

students, ...students can be tough to deal with, (it is not their fault but just things you will deal with when working there)

Great place to work, with opportunities to grow and learn new skills

The job culture is great with open lines of communication. Lots of job growth and learning opportunities. The employees are very friendly and helpful.

Pros

Paid courses, people, job and personal life balance and benefits

Cons

Long hours and can be stressful

Very nice coworkers, and customers

overall fun job, manager was very flexible with hours. very accommodating, nice coworkers and customers. very flexible with your schedule, even if you are a working student.

Work at your own pace but they will give you the resources you need

-They provide good training -They are always looking for ways management can help you and provide you with resources so that you can do your job better

Pros

free lunch

Cons

limited hours available

Fun easy going

Good Company, Friendly, Easy going. Great company to work for! You get to meet students from all over the world. Hours can be a bit long, but pays well

Not the best Union

I started working at Mac, there was a different Union in place. I was able to work a lot of different shift. Then a new Union came on board and I was cut down to 3 days a week. Nothing more

Awesome place to work

If you’re casual you’re making minimum wage minimum hours. But if you get into the union then it’s part of full time. But great pay this is in the hospitality section. Becoming an apprentice through them allowed me to achieve some dreams. Worked with some of the best chefs in Canada because of them. Plus the exec chef is an absolute pleasure to work for and learn from

Top notch employer

Mcmaster University is a top notch employer providing employees with a stable working environment and many opportunities to advancement. They offer a great salary and benefits package.

Great Environment. good salary and benefits. Friendly staff, they try really hard to emphasize work life balance. Wonderful career opportunities. Very fortunate to be here.

Great place to work.... the co workers and staff are easy to get along with.

Loved working there,relaxed atmosphere. Downfall No benefits! Had to leave to help a sick family member. Really miss workin there, the staff are great! Would love to be hired again from macmaster

it's all about learning

for me, it is important to learn new stuff and improve myself in a job, and also, everyone needs a decent salary. McMaster University provide good salary for international student who works as a teaching student. And we learned a lot every time we led a new subject.

No Comment

Very fun environment. Professors are helpful. Salary was great for student. Manageable while full-time study. Workload is light. Loved working as a TA.

nice considerate hours & productive shifts

Environment is welcoming since I work with other students. Most of the staff are friendly and the managers aren't too strict. The hours are quite good considering I'm a full time student with other side responsibilities.

Pros

free food on fridays (if you ask)

Cons

kinda nasty

great place to work

Very stable organization. You get to contribute to the development of the future. Best benefits and retirements and education benefits and discounts. Good hours and flexible responsibilities

A good place to work

Great benefits and salary. Slow moving change Great work life balance. Most jobs require a minimum of a four year undergraduate degree no matter the position.

Ok

Job Work/Life Balance is good Salary/Benefits is ok Job Security/Advancement is pretty good Management and job culture are good. Overall not bad

awesome

awesome is work there for the summer. I would like to work there again in the summer and the bad thing about it was, I was not getting payed ti work..

Pros

Work experience

Cons

Not getting payed

Has challenges but the employer itself is great. Union shop so you have to pout up with that mentality from some. Work hours limited to 35 and it's a real process to get overtime. The benefits are great and the pay isn't bad for education sector standards. Can't speak for other departments but Management in mine was some of the best I have ever worked for.

Benefits

Cons

union

Productive and fun workplace with flexible hours

Event Staff at McMaster was very accommodating to my schoolwork. A typical day at work would be checking in with the supervisor, setting up before the sporting events, selling tickets or food, or ripping tickets for entry. The management was very organized and respectful. I felt comfortable talking to my managers about issues regarding workplace interactions. The hardest part of the job would have to be setting up for football games (lifting tables, moving the drink cooler, setting up fences, etc).

Pros

Free food, good salary

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3