McMaster University

McMaster University Employee Reviews

Course Intructor on contract

really nice placeget employed by them if you have a chancebad students are gonna hate hate hate hate but that is not their fault. Although they might favour the students on some issues so stay careful!

Pros

almost everything: nice people, nice environment, nice benefits...

Cons

students, ...students can be tough to deal with, (it is not their fault but just things you will deal with when working there)

Avoid if you can. Zero reasons to stay.

Terrible working conditions, and if you show a little initiative they will take advantage and pack on additional duties. Zero benefits or sick time. No room for advancement or even a small pay raise after 3 months. The supposed "union" Unifor does little and/or nothing to fight for it's employees. 0 places to secure your belongings/lunch, was told to just "carry it with me" and parking is $200 for 3 months, you also pay union dues without the benefits of said union from day 1. Half my equipment would break down constantly due to being so old and worn, and the other half would go missing; couldn't even get decent gloves to protect my hands. Had to duct tape 2 brooms together at one point because they couldn't be bothered to supply us with decently conditioned ones. Management is so bad I was training another person within my first month on the job. They play favourites and treat newer employees like garbage, especially if they ask questions.Most enjoyable part of the day was leaving. You would think a large organization who boasts about how many accolades they've amassed in their welcome letters and in my initial interviews would treat their staff better. It is a stable and fairly routine job if you're desperate, but they give you 0 reasons to stay for long. They're too cheap to give even their hardest working employees a decent wage.

Pros

Stable Job

Cons

0 Advancement, 0 Benefits, Paid parking

Great place to work, with opportunities to grow and learn new skills

The job culture is great with open lines of communication. Lots of job growth and learning opportunities. The employees are very friendly and helpful.

Pros

Paid courses, people, job and personal life balance and benefits

Cons

Long hours and can be stressful

UTS (aka Sustainment/Strategic Initiatives) / Semi-tech role

Where to start, UTS @ Mac might seem like a good place to work, but it depends on may factors. On the positive side there are tuition assistance and work-life balance (though that's getting worse). On the negative side - there are low pay, toxic culture and incompetent management. For example in 2020, Mac's Chief Technology officer comes from Literature/Journalism background, Chief Security Officer is from Political Sciences background. Technical people who do the actual work are not appreciated. Culture is toxic - people don't tend to help much, no training - sink or swim style. It wasn't uncommon for me to purchase my own training to do the job. Directors/Managers lie straight in your face and play political games behind your back. Re-hiring is not done adequately. As the result most of the capable people are running away.

Pros

Work-life balance, tuition assistance

Cons

Toxic culture, incompetent management

good place to work and grow in career

Professional management, an excellent place to belong, beautiful campus life and m teamwork, motivation to do best, given equal respect and opportunity

Competitive Workplace

Positive competitive environment. Work was rewarding and interesting. The people were supportive and worked well as a team. The environment was clean and organized.

good

Workplace is good, with good mdeical facilities and sports facilities. there scenic places around which are picture perfect. Falls is the best season for scenic view

Great place

A great place to work at Great working environment and warm welcome when you first arrived Hamilton is a innovative city for the graduated student

Micro management

Human management representatives from the top down do not comply to FIPPA especially confidential one to one meetings. Information is being used for personal gain. Faculty money laundering is occurring where research funding is being moved to operational accounts or hiring faculty own external consulting or website companies. Beware.

Excellent Place of Work for University Student

Working at the McMaster Campus store was a very good fit for my busy university schedule. I was able to schedule around my classes which made a very manageable work/study balance. The management was always accommodating to students. It was an enjoyable part of my university experience.

Grad studies are extremely stressful

Don't do a PhD! My PhD experience has been something worthy of horror movie scripts. It is so stressful. It messed up my whole life, my heath, my family and relationships, etc.

Amazing work environment

Loved working here throughout my undergraduate degree. Amazing Environment and atmosphere. Would highly recommend to any incoming student. This was a great experience.

Excellent learning environment

McMaster has a very "home" like feeling to it. I found that the people are very welcoming and it was easy to adjust from high school to university life.

Very nice coworkers, and customers

overall fun job, manager was very flexible with hours. very accommodating, nice coworkers and customers. very flexible with your schedule, even if you are a working student.

Problematic

Some things that we were encouraged to teach were very discriminatory and very problematic and the prof was not open to discussion. We had to take the issues to the equity office.

Productive and fun workplace

Customer service and enthusiasm are the key to doing well at McMaster University. Events are the most enjoyable part. Good supportive management. Inclusive community. Pays well.

Work at your own pace but they will give you the resources you need

-They provide good training -They are always looking for ways management can help you and provide you with resources so that you can do your job better

Pros

free lunch

Cons

limited hours available

Amazing place to work with fantastic people

I highly recommend McMaster University. They are forward thinking and understand work/life balance, mental health, and job satisfaction. It is a wonderful place to work.

Collaborative and Interpersonal Atmosphere

McMaster University is a great institution to work at. A typical day as a community advisor included answering or responding to needs to first year students within the community. I learned how to respond to crisis situations and de-escalate conflict. There is a great deal of documentation involved and one must be adept at contacting the correct resources for aid or support. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to teach and learn from the students I was overseeing, as well as meet like-minded colleagues.

Competitive and Stressful

Competitive and Stressful As a Ph.D. student, the research cycle is in itself stressful. The peer pressure adds more stress and the review cycle of research papers is not always fair.

I loved Working at McMaster University

I loved the faculty and the students. It was a dynamic and challenging environment. I learned so much from working there and would definitely do it again. My particular job had a very specific and unique skill set which required lots of quick study memorization, thinking on your toes, improvisation, excellent communication and connecting with the doctors emotionally. I would definitely do it again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3