McMaster University
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Working at McMaster University: Latest McMaster University Reviews

Canada420 reviews

universityprofessorstudenttamarkingcampusstudyfaculty

Being a teaching assistant is easy work

Flexible hours that are accommodating to a school schedule. Work is fairly easy if you have sufficient technical knowledge in the course that you are teaching

Stability and great environment

This is a great university and company.Work environment is actually nice. A lot of collaboration from different groups.Stability of position is another advantage.

Cons

salaries should be updated to city and country reality.

Insights into McMaster University

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

It is an excellent way to work with other people

I learned to work with a team, I am doing this this for year, and I like the experience being an invigilator. McMaster University is a place that have a lot opportunities that I can work, will be amazing learned other skills

Good.

The places allow you to constantly learn and grow together. There is a good management team that answers your questions pretty quickly. The pay is good for people newly joining university.

World class University

Worked in R/D. Good experience overall. The academic environment was slow paced, lots of opportunities for workshops and professional development. Salary is low and long hours of work.

Pros

World class university

Cons

Very low salary, long hours of work.

Flexible time and supportive team

Time is flexible which makes it easy to manage other things. Schedule is given at least a week before. The team is very supportive and friendly. Training is provided.

Different roles, great for grad students

I've held lots of different contract roles at Mac while getting my grad degree. it depends on what department you work for, but i've had really great experiences. The downside is most roles are contract so, while flexible, you can't rely on having continued employment for your entire time as a grad student.

Pros

Remote work, Flexibility (e.g. online meetings, moveable deadlines), academic experience

Cons

Contract positions

Grad student teacher assistant

Relaxed environment but low pay. If your supervisor is nice and has enough fund they may top up your salary but I survived on scholarship and TA. I was in ECE department. Don't know about other departments

Very political

The students use their feedback of professors to openly insult and attack professors they feel do not give them good marks.There is a lot of politics going on as students demand high grades.The regular faculty does not want part time faculty.Lots of union politics.

Generally, a good place to work

It is a good place to work. There is equity, diversity, and inclusion in place. Opportunity to learn more. Most people are friendly and ready to help. Work /life balance good

Pros

Good Benefits, Opportunity to learn more

Cons

Low pay, Career advancement unclear

The university is great to work in

Working as a researcher in the university. The salary is enough is cover my cost. But you can't save too much actually. My supervisor and the colleagues are great people. Therefore, I had a great experience there.

Fun work place

Good place to work. Flexible with hours. Staff are always there to help when you need them. People you’re helping are friendly as well. Overall enjoyed my time.

Great place to work at!

It's a great place for work life balance and in terms of payment. Depending on the position, remote work is allowed. Hours are not long. Smooth interview process. Overall a good place.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Good

Good place to work, academic field, busy times and slow times. Pay not great, time off is, and good benefits and pensions from day 1 so theres the trade

Positive environment

I worked as a Teaching Assistant and a Research Associate in the Department of Civil Engineering of McMaster University.I liked the positive atmosphere that existed between employees there. Teaching undergraduate students was a really exciting experience. The undergraduate students are clever, which makes the teaching experience there much more pleasant.The university campus is beautiful and has several facilities such as sports areas and coffee shops.

Postdoctoral fellow

It all depends on your supervisor. Work can be flexible and really comfortable as long as you deliver results. They offer good benefits as part of CUPE but your contract has to be more than 6 months

A great learning and career development platform

Great learning and career development platform for an engineer who strives to apply research applications to solve real-life industry issues and challenges.

Pros

Job Security/ Job Culture/ Learning & Development

Easy job, good pay

Easy job, good paymake your own hourwork as much or as little as you like with no supervisionalways paid on time and the right amount good student job

Purposeful work, good workplace culture but below market compensation

McMaster University is a great place to work at. If you compare it with most of the private sector, work ethics are much better here. They value work life balance and general attitude of work is to be productive and at the same time enjoy your work. However, it seems kinda evident that senior management and middle management belongs to certain groups, and that the organization is not ready to apply diversity in practice which is one of the mandate of the organization.

Really depends on the culture of each department and your manager. Have had both good and bad experiences. Some jobs are unionized. The benefits and pay are fair.

10/10 compensation, somewhat dull at times

Great pay, would work again. If you want cognitive challenging tasks I would look elsewhere, but the people you work with are super nice and helpful, overall good experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement