McMaster University Employee Reviews

Flexible hours and good pay
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 June 2018
As a marking TA I was able to work on my own time and I feel like the pay was reasonable. I had the flexibility of working at home or in the office during the hours and as long as I met my deadlines no problems arose.
temporary gig
Casual Student Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 May 2018
wish there was room to advance from this position but it is difficult in the academic world. poorly compensated as well for troubles. didn't feel well supported.
Nice place to work
o Computer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 May 2018
People at Hamilton are very nice to deal with. They are not aggressive but will get things done efficiently. It is close to Toronto so if you want to join the crowd it is not too far away.
Pros
nice
Cons
quiet
Very competitive atmosphere
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 May 2018
It has been a great opportunity to study and work at McMaster. The professors I worked with were very supportive, considerate and treated everyone equally. The supervisors were always available and open to discuss my work.
Great place for student employees
Clinical & Basic Science Team Liaison (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 May 2018
The management team is super understanding and really want to see new staff grow. Anyone just entering a new field/ career will get all the help they need.
Nice education environment
School Project (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2018
Did several projects with team members and developed strong communication, teamwork and organization skills. Sometimes need to meet many deadlines, but with good time management skills, I never missed any deadlines.
Great Co-workers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 May 2018
Enjoyed doing research and working with post-doctors and professors on biomedical projects as a student. Co-workers were always willing to help and train
Teaching Assistant job
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 May 2018
Worked as a marking teaching assistant. Participated in some workshops to learn about how to use the tools in the course (PebblePad). Designed the marking scheme for the midterm exam. Invigilated one midterm. Overall, the job was fine, and as long as you can balance your student life (I was studying there when I held this position) with the work responsibilities, you will be fine.
Rewarding and fun experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 April 2018
I was a teaching assistant at the university and found the experience very rewarding. It helped me develop multiple skills and grow overall as a person.
Friendly and very nice workplace
Research Associate - Chemical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 April 2018
- Great facilities on campus (GYM, Health Care Center, Restaurant, day care for kids, ...).
- Nice people to work with.
- Awesome culture (Anti-racism)
- CUPE 3906 is here to support your right
Pros
Cons
No Job Security
Not the greatest work atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 April 2018
Working for McMaster University is hard to rate, as there were so many different aspects. The university itself was a great place to work, however, the specific department was not the greatest. You were left with nothing to do most of time, and the management wasn't very understanding or accommodating to say the least.
Fun and best place to work while studying.
Exam invigilation and food assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 April 2018
I am student at McMaster so it was very convenient for me to work on the campus. It can save my time. Eventually, it turns out wonderful place to work. The people here are amazing and encouraging.
A good place for steady work
Media Developer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 March 2018
McMaster has a lot of great opportunities for staff in terms of benefits. Depending on your job you may have a lot of growth opportunities. For creative work, the ability to change your position or advance is very limited. The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is always something new to learn. The hardest part is the day to day menial tasks that need to be done. In some departments management is antiquated in their skills and working with employees. This is slowly being changed.
Pros
Benefits, great colleagues, nice campus with gym
Cons
management, lack of career growth for creative work
Good Student job
Parking Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2018
Maintenance of gates and paystations
Ticket cars in violation
hardest part is when people come up to you complaining about their tickets and start screaming in your face.
Alright job to pay for your tuition
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2018
Feedback varies with the class that you are TAing, including the professor and the students.

Good benefits, but the annual pay is kinda low.

The workplace culture is solid. Your co-workers include other grad students, who wouldn't be there if they weren't professional, so they're alright.

Mechanical Engineering department has free pizza day.
Pros
Benefits, hours.
Cons
Dealing with student-professor miscommunication.
A place where can learn a great number of skills
Software Testing Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, BM2 March 2018
Good chance to practice my presentation and communication skills.
Enable me to learn explaining software principles in a comprehensive way.
Let me gain much more insight on how to develop quality assurance projects.
Excellent research focused academic institution
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 February 2018
Research oriented university with focus on novel methods of teaching and learning. The academic environment is great. The remuneration for the staffs is less.
Two to three long trips every week to Hamlton and back.
Chief Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2018
It has been a godsend to many students over the years.

Beautiful in design and the students are normally great.

Expensive to travel and really poor wages again.

Ex students, now teachers in their own rights, run the program now going on almost 25 years.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
A long way to travel so many times per week.
A Great Community - but if you want management you will need a Master's degree
Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2018
I worked at McMaster for 15 years and have loved the community, the organization and my jobs. I learned and grew so much while there and have found that so many wonderful people work there. Working with students is a great experience and the campus is a wonderful place to spend your work days.

Unfortunately, if you start out as unionized staff, the only way into management is with a master's degree and by using "strategic politics" or to leave Mac and come back into a Management position later. I used to hear this and believed it was a myth until I saw it happen again and again. While Mac is a great place to work, all Universities are big organizations, and change is not always embraced, and when it is, it can be very slowly accepted. Bottom line is still dollars. It is a business and sometimes people forget that.
Pros
Great atmosphere, colleagues, beautiful campus, learning opportunities, tuition bursaries
Cons
Lack of promotion to management, difficult to accept that although women are the majority of the staff, and many female faculty members, the boys club still thrives
Amazing place to work and study
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 January 2018
McMaster University is perfect for students who would like to study during the fall and winter terms, while performing, or assisting in research over the summer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3