McMaster University
Happiness score is 72 out of 100

Working at McMaster University: Latest McMaster University Reviews

Canada415 reviews

universityprofessorstudenttamarkingcampusstudyfaculty

Flexible time and supportive team

Time is flexible which makes it easy to manage other things. Schedule is given at least a week before. The team is very supportive and friendly. Training is provided.

Different roles, great for grad students

I've held lots of different contract roles at Mac while getting my grad degree. it depends on what department you work for, but i've had really great experiences. The downside is most roles are contract so, while flexible, you can't rely on having continued employment for your entire time as a grad student.

Pros

Remote work, Flexibility (e.g. online meetings, moveable deadlines), academic experience

Cons

Contract positions

Insights into McMaster University

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Grad student teacher assistant

Relaxed environment but low pay. If your supervisor is nice and has enough fund they may top up your salary but I survived on scholarship and TA. I was in ECE department. Don't know about other departments

Very political

The students use their feedback of professors to openly insult and attack professors they feel do not give them good marks.There is a lot of politics going on as students demand high grades.The regular faculty does not want part time faculty.Lots of union politics.

Generally, a good place to work

It is a good place to work. There is equity, diversity, and inclusion in place. Opportunity to learn more. Most people are friendly and ready to help. Work /life balance good

Pros

Good Benefits, Opportunity to learn more

Cons

Low pay, Career advancement unclear

The university is great to work in

Working as a researcher in the university. The salary is enough is cover my cost. But you can't save too much actually. My supervisor and the colleagues are great people. Therefore, I had a great experience there.

Fun work place

Good place to work. Flexible with hours. Staff are always there to help when you need them. People you’re helping are friendly as well. Overall enjoyed my time.

Great place to work at!

It's a great place for work life balance and in terms of payment. Depending on the position, remote work is allowed. Hours are not long. Smooth interview process. Overall a good place.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Good

Good place to work, academic field, busy times and slow times. Pay not great, time off is, and good benefits and pensions from day 1 so theres the trade

Positive environment

I worked as a Teaching Assistant and a Research Associate in the Department of Civil Engineering of McMaster University.I liked the positive atmosphere that existed between employees there. Teaching undergraduate students was a really exciting experience. The undergraduate students are clever, which makes the teaching experience there much more pleasant.The university campus is beautiful and has several facilities such as sports areas and coffee shops.

Postdoctoral fellow

It all depends on your supervisor. Work can be flexible and really comfortable as long as you deliver results. They offer good benefits as part of CUPE but your contract has to be more than 6 months

A great learning and career development platform

Great learning and career development platform for an engineer who strives to apply research applications to solve real-life industry issues and challenges.

Pros

Job Security/ Job Culture/ Learning & Development

Easy job, good pay

Easy job, good paymake your own hourwork as much or as little as you like with no supervisionalways paid on time and the right amount good student job

Purposeful work, good workplace culture but below market compensation

McMaster University is a great place to work at. If you compare it with most of the private sector, work ethics are much better here. They value work life balance and general attitude of work is to be productive and at the same time enjoy your work. However, it seems kinda evident that senior management and middle management belongs to certain groups, and that the organization is not ready to apply diversity in practice which is one of the mandate of the organization.

Really depends on the culture of each department and your manager. Have had both good and bad experiences. Some jobs are unionized. The benefits and pay are fair.

10/10 compensation, somewhat dull at times

Great pay, would work again. If you want cognitive challenging tasks I would look elsewhere, but the people you work with are super nice and helpful, overall good experience

Heavy lifting and carrying of exams

I didn't enjoy this job at all. The people are very nice of course but exams are heavy to carry and you have to walk long distances with them. You are also exposed to thousands of people which increases your risk of illness. Last time I did it I had a progressively worsening facial rash of some kind. Parking is also expensive and it takes a large chunk out of the meager wage you receive. Job titles and roles are often confused. It is nice to see students though and I liked to say encouraging things to them which I think they appreciated.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

Heavy lifting and carrying of exam papers

dull

Working here is ok, but I don't feel any sense of accomplishment cleaning. It's not hard work, just tedious. Some of the people there are nice to work with, others not so much so/

Productive and Fun

Very educational focused university institution with plenty of opportunities to advance and continuously develop relevant skills. Decent management and encouraging workplace culture.

McMaster respects their employees.

I worked with McMaster as a person with a disability. McMaster is an inclusive place of employment and my employers could not have been more accomodating to my needs. I always felt respected and like my needs were taken seriously. I was able to work remotely as needed, too.

Pros

Accomodating to needs of employees with disabilities.

Solid job undermined by a negative culture and low pay.

Its a straight forward janitorial job, but it's underpaid compared to other similarly unskilled jobs at McMaster which pay competitively. The work is moderately paced and low stress, but the workplace culture is gossipy and the management can be standoff-ish at times.

Pros

-Relaxing job - great work- life balance

Cons

- under paid - bad work culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement