McMaster University

McMaster University Employee Reviews

Canada379 reviews
Excellent Place of Work for University Student
Working at the McMaster Campus store was a very good fit for my busy university schedule. I was able to schedule around my classes which made a very manageable work/study balance. The management was always accommodating to students. It was an enjoyable part of my university experience.
Grad studies are extremely stressful
Don't do a PhD!
My PhD experience has been something worthy of horror movie scripts.

It is so stressful. It messed up my whole life, my heath, my family and relationships, etc.
Amazing work environment
Loved working here throughout my undergraduate degree. Amazing Environment and atmosphere. Would highly recommend to any incoming student. This was a great experience.
Excellent learning environment
McMaster has a very "home" like feeling to it. I found that the people are very welcoming and it was easy to adjust from high school to university life.
Very nice coworkers, and customers
overall fun job, manager was very flexible with hours. very accommodating, nice coworkers and customers. very flexible with your schedule, even if you are a working student.
Problematic
Some things that we were encouraged to teach were very discriminatory and very problematic and the prof was not open to discussion. We had to take the issues to the equity office.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer service and enthusiasm are the key to doing well at McMaster University. Events are the most enjoyable part. Good supportive management. Inclusive community. Pays well.
Work at your own pace but they will give you the resources you need
-They provide good training
-They are always looking for ways management can help you and provide you with resources so that you can do your job better
Pros
free lunch
Cons
limited hours available
Amazing place to work with fantastic people
I highly recommend McMaster University. They are forward thinking and understand work/life balance, mental health, and job satisfaction. It is a wonderful place to work.
Collaborative and Interpersonal Atmosphere
McMaster University is a great institution to work at. A typical day as a community advisor included answering or responding to needs to first year students within the community. I learned how to respond to crisis situations and de-escalate conflict. There is a great deal of documentation involved and one must be adept at contacting the correct resources for aid or support. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to teach and learn from the students I was overseeing, as well as meet like-minded colleagues.
Competitive and Stressful
Competitive and Stressful
As a Ph.D. student, the research cycle is in itself stressful.

The peer pressure adds more stress and the review cycle of research papers is not always fair.
I loved Working at McMaster University
I loved the faculty and the students. It was a dynamic and challenging environment. I learned so much from working there and would definitely do it again. My particular job had a very specific and unique skill set which required lots of quick study memorization, thinking on your toes, improvisation, excellent communication and connecting with the doctors emotionally. I would definitely do it again.
Awesome group of people to work with.
Awesome crew. Never hesitate to help, keep you updated, mini lessons on the spot if you need help with something. You’re always prepared with Exams. So flexible and just kind.
Easy to expand your mandate!
A great working environment with lots of opportunities to explore other fields. I had the privilege of leaving my mark as an Alumni and offering my unique experiences to help shape other students enrollment experience.
Exceptional Work Environment
The McMaster athletics and recreation department goes above and beyond to make their employees feel valued and welcomed. One of the greatest departments I have had the pleasure of being a part of.
Good place to work but....
I can’t recall being so comfortable working anywhere. It’s a very relaxed working environment but staffing issues and workload can impact your experience . Pay is very good, better than most hospitals. They are a supportive employer , not a punitive one. Overall it’s been a good experience.
Good
Great , very great experience in Hamilton.
I am glad I took this opportunity I learned a lot.

This job was very easy to learn and I had lots of mentors to help.
Terrible
Considering that they give international students a bursary of 30000 supposedly however they charge 18000 plus a year, with the rent in hamilton this days, its almost impossible to live. Also you never finish in 4 years, which means less money available for you, I made the calculation and you will be making around $9 an hour, which is terrible but since you are technically a student they get by and exploit it
Great Place to Make a Club and Facilitate level 2 Students
Currently I am a leader for the level 2 students enrolled in the Nursing program. I plan events as well as study sessions for the students so they can enjoy their year in the program. I also take feedback from students and pass it along to the course coordinators!
One of my favourite places to work
Working at Mac while being a student was amazing! They were very helpful with balancing hours and school schedules. Met so many amazing people and lifelong friends.
Great Environment.
Lots of opportunities for students to gain real-world experience and expand their skill set. The wages are also really nice.

Great place to work and study.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3