McMaster University Employee Reviews

IT/AV Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 November 2018
Has challenges but the employer itself is great.
Union shop so you have to pout up with that mentality from some. Work hours limited to 35 and it's a real process to get overtime.

The benefits are great and the pay isn't bad for education sector standards.

Can't speak for other departments but Management in mine was some of the best I have ever worked for.
Benefits
Cons
union
Productive and fun workplace with flexible hours
EVENT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 September 2018
Event Staff at McMaster was very accommodating to my schoolwork. A typical day at work would be checking in with the supervisor, setting up before the sporting events, selling tickets or food, or ripping tickets for entry. The management was very organized and respectful. I felt comfortable talking to my managers about issues regarding workplace interactions. The hardest part of the job would have to be setting up for football games (lifting tables, moving the drink cooler, setting up fences, etc).
Pros
Free food, good salary
multicultural respect
Pediatrics Resident (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2018
busy schedule, organized and disciplined..well being promoting environment, respectful of people culture difference
learned new aspects of job performance and skill enhancement
hours were long, night shifts tiresome however staff tolerance and support enhances productivity and efficiency
positive vibe at workplace, uplifting encouragement and constructive feedback
Pros
dedication to teaching and training
Cons
limited job offers
hard pressed to return
Scheduling & Exams Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 December 2018
Management Heavy
Don't care about you
loved job
Colleagues very Cliquey
judgemental
nepitsim

I loved the work I did and helping students find their way, hated the work environment, management allows unbelievable amount of favouritism, nepotism and breeds hostility
Higher education driven
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 November 2018
Privileged to have worked with and been surrounded by professional and dedicated staff and faculty.

McMaster University selects only the top most professionals for hirer, of support staff, faculty, and physicians.
Pros
Surrounded by professional staff and faculty
Cons
commute
Best place I ever worked at!
Director of Strategic Procurement (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 August 2018
I had the Best Boss I ever had at the Best place I ever worked at. I loved the culture at McMaster. It was a busy place, but work/life balance was always considered. Great pains were taken to ensure the right fit and quality of employees.

Everyone was treated with respect and equality. Enjoys a very diverse workforce at all levels of employment, supporting and accommodating all minorities.
inclusive
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2018
• Five week job shadow experience that provided exposure to the various professions in the human resource field
• Listened in on weekly meetings and interacted with professionals in department areas such as: Health, Safety and Risk Management, HR Service Center, Employee and Labour Relations, Employee Career Services and Organizational Development
• Conducted informational interviews with each professional to acquire further knowledge and information on their career in each particular human resource department
many job opportunities once you become a permanent employee, good wages
Receptionist - Student Accessibility Services (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2018
I worked in two separate positions for McMaster, both were contracts for less than a year, this meant I was unable to apply for other Mac jobs as an internal applicant and was not eligible for any benefits - if you get lucky and are able to land a permanent position at Mac however there are many job opportunities that allow for career advancement
Pros
good wages
Cons
many casual or temporary positions
Terrible place to work. Management are ego maniacs.
GCH (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 July 2018
Management are bullies who grind the staff until they quit. Human Resources treat all staff like they are lower than dirt. Toxic work environment which is split between union staff and casual staff. Very little investment in training and new equipment. The whole campus has been infested with cockroaches for FOUR years. Avoid this employer.
Pros
Cons
Don’t get paid correctly Ever! Terrible environment to work in. Management.
Good job for a student.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2018
Worked for two semesters, mostly in the help center. The other TAs and the professors managing us were very helpful. Was an overall relaxed experience, and teaching is very rewarding.

Basically all the perks of being a teacher without the downside of being responsible for the students' success.
Full Time Student
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 August 2018
Currently completing the final semester of a five year Bachelor of Technology, Automotive, and Vehicle Technology degree at McMaster University. The courses within this program are theoretical studies regarding the current and future direction of the automotive industry.
Pros
A theoretical understanding of vehicle composition
Cons
Lack of hands on understanding of vehicle composition
flexible enviroment
Software Developer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 January 2019
under supervision of professor, almost self learnt everything for the project development. turned out well. It was a school project after all. Self-study and self-management is more relevant
teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant, Sociology Department (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2018
As a teaching assistant I was able to build strong relationships with the professors here, everyone is so supporting and the group of teaching assistants I worked with were amazing. Truly helps to build the next generation of US.
Supportive management and good team work
General Cafeteria Helper (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2018
It is an excellent place to work as the management is very supportive and considers your availability. Good payment as well as benefits. The best part about the job is dealing with the students who are very lively and full of energy.
Nice place for research study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 December 2018
I did all my experimental work at MARC at McMaster University. It is a quiet place to do the experiment and the colleagues are nice and warm-hearted. I enjoy the 2 years experience.
McMaster University - a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 December 2018
McMaster University offers fairly good working conditions. there is always room for advancement. Great pay & benefits. Its definately a great place to work.
Great for students to earn money while at Mac
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 August 2018
it was a fantastic opportunity while being a student at McMaster to earn money in between classes. super convenient being right on campus rather than working somewhere farther away.
awesome
Residence Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  1280 Main St W, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L826 November 2018
awesome is work there for the summer. I would like to work there again in the summer and the bad thing about it was, I was not getting payed ti work..
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Not getting payed
Amazing Environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 December 2018
teaching assistantship was a part of completing the Masters program. I learned alot about marking, examinations and overall unviersity policies and practises
great place to work with flexible schedule
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 August 2018
McMaster University allowed me to get a glimpse of an ideal working environment which allowed me to create my own work schedule, advance in my career and education and make great future connections.
Pros
flexible
Cons
temporary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3