McMaster University Employee Reviews

Just a TA job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2018
Just a TA job while completing graduate school for masters in engineering. I think it was a pretty typical experience and just considered it an extension of my degree.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 October 2018
Great place to work, great work life balance, good teammates. I wasn't working in a long time, but I certainly recommend anyone interested to work at Mcmaster
a good place to work.
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 October 2018
a good place to work. very relaxed working environment, a lot of good people to work with. flexible working schedules. good work-life balance. learned a lot.
Good job for a student.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2018
Worked for two semesters, mostly in the help center. The other TAs and the professors managing us were very helpful. Was an overall relaxed experience, and teaching is very rewarding.

Basically all the perks of being a teacher without the downside of being responsible for the students' success.
Productive and fun workplace with flexible hours
EVENT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 September 2018
Event Staff at McMaster was very accommodating to my schoolwork. A typical day at work would be checking in with the supervisor, setting up before the sporting events, selling tickets or food, or ripping tickets for entry. The management was very organized and respectful. I felt comfortable talking to my managers about issues regarding workplace interactions. The hardest part of the job would have to be setting up for football games (lifting tables, moving the drink cooler, setting up fences, etc).
Pros
Free food, good salary
teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant, Sociology Department (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2018
As a teaching assistant I was able to build strong relationships with the professors here, everyone is so supporting and the group of teaching assistants I worked with were amazing. Truly helps to build the next generation of US.
Great for students to earn money while at Mac
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 August 2018
it was a fantastic opportunity while being a student at McMaster to earn money in between classes. super convenient being right on campus rather than working somewhere farther away.
Supportive management and good team work
General Cafeteria Helper (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2018
It is an excellent place to work as the management is very supportive and considers your availability. Good payment as well as benefits. The best part about the job is dealing with the students who are very lively and full of energy.
multicultural respect
Pediatrics Resident (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2018
busy schedule, organized and disciplined..well being promoting environment, respectful of people culture difference
learned new aspects of job performance and skill enhancement
hours were long, night shifts tiresome however staff tolerance and support enhances productivity and efficiency
positive vibe at workplace, uplifting encouragement and constructive feedback
Pros
dedication to teaching and training
Cons
limited job offers
great place to work
Standardized Patient, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2018
Working with a flexible team is a great experience
Training is wonderful and they accept feed back seriously to always better the working environment.
Best place I ever worked at!
Director of Strategic Procurement (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 August 2018
I had the Best Boss I ever had at the Best place I ever worked at. I loved the culture at McMaster. It was a busy place, but work/life balance was always considered. Great pains were taken to ensure the right fit and quality of employees.

Everyone was treated with respect and equality. Enjoys a very diverse workforce at all levels of employment, supporting and accommodating all minorities.
nice place to work
Assistant Volleyball Coach (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 August 2018
nice place to work.I liked working with kids and learned a lot from them.Have a good lunch and stayed at good hotels.Summer time gym was so hot and winter time was cold
Pros
working with kids
Cons
no feedback
Great
Student Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2018
Great experience, great training opportunities and work environment. Very supportive staff and excellent workplace culture. Would work here again for sure.
inclusive
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2018
• Five week job shadow experience that provided exposure to the various professions in the human resource field
• Listened in on weekly meetings and interacted with professionals in department areas such as: Health, Safety and Risk Management, HR Service Center, Employee and Labour Relations, Employee Career Services and Organizational Development
• Conducted informational interviews with each professional to acquire further knowledge and information on their career in each particular human resource department
many job opportunities once you become a permanent employee, good wages
Receptionist - Student Accessibility Services (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2018
I worked in two separate positions for McMaster, both were contracts for less than a year, this meant I was unable to apply for other Mac jobs as an internal applicant and was not eligible for any benefits - if you get lucky and are able to land a permanent position at Mac however there are many job opportunities that allow for career advancement
Pros
good wages
Cons
many casual or temporary positions
It's been really professional and intelligent place to work
Undergraduate Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Chemistry and Chemical Biology Department6 August 2018
As part of the research group, its been a pleasure to be inspired by many intelligent people around, and I'd definitely recommend to students who start looking for intern opportunities.
Productive and Friendly
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 August 2018
Polite students. Busy management. Supportive. Student engagement in the work sometimes lacking. Wanted to be spoon fed. Could be more curious. Students reliant on online materials.
Pros
Informal
Cons
Sometimes disorganized
great place to work with flexible schedule
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 August 2018
McMaster University allowed me to get a glimpse of an ideal working environment which allowed me to create my own work schedule, advance in my career and education and make great future connections.
Pros
flexible
Cons
temporary
Full Time Student
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 August 2018
Currently completing the final semester of a five year Bachelor of Technology, Automotive, and Vehicle Technology degree at McMaster University. The courses within this program are theoretical studies regarding the current and future direction of the automotive industry.
Pros
A theoretical understanding of vehicle composition
Cons
Lack of hands on understanding of vehicle composition
Terrible place to work. Management are ego maniacs.
GCH (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 July 2018
Management are bullies who grind the staff until they quit. Human Resources treat all staff like they are lower than dirt. Toxic work environment which is split between union staff and casual staff. Very little investment in training and new equipment. The whole campus has been infested with cockroaches for FOUR years. Avoid this employer.
Pros
Cons
Don’t get paid correctly Ever! Terrible environment to work in. Management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMaster University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3