McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association

McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
This is 24 hour care get children to school , answer for all moneys directed for children ,involve them in how a home works,every one has a job (make your bed ,put your laundry away ) teach respect ,and family life ,Show them Love, Caring. Involve the children in a sport they enjoy have children ready. for family visits culture events often taking children Hardest part is The children ,leaving my home,as you get to love them,the fun part is watching them have fun ,get new friends, grow .
Wonderful organization to work for. They have a wonderful work life balance. They treat their employees like family. Training is always provided and they have a great management team.
The company is all about the money not client care. Top heavy. U get bullied if you voice yr opinion. No room for advancement. Admin staff more worried about what's for lunch then their staff. Poorly run organization
Organization provides opportunities for growth and advancement. Focus on the psychological health of employees. Excellent benefits and pension. Employee recognition/appreciation activities.

Communication could be improved as well as respect for some programs
Management would not back up their frontline employees and would fire without just cause. Employees would be afraid to speak up in case of negative actions. Poor safety plans put in place to prevent risk. Change of schedule often and without good reason (4 schedule changes in 4 months). Youth are supposed to be put first in this field and that is not the case. Workers have to fight for the youth and still see no results. Very frustrating to work in this kind of environment and not good on your mental health.
As a CRW your ideas and concerns fall on deaf ears as Management will not tolerate different views or methods of working for the individual success. Management believes they know what is good for the individual regardless of only meeting with them during the intake process..
McMan claims confidentiality however, your personal business is the business of all..
Pros
Good training ops and wages
Cons
If you're not in Management, your ideas and opinions for program/client advancement are disrespected and dismissed.
Working for Mcman was an extremely challenging experience.

1. Unethical practices, it was disheartening to learn that it was expected Team leaders share or hold a joint bank account with the clients they served in shared living. The company chooses to run their support programs for people with disabilities short staffed despite an increase in program or client funding, in order to recover losses.

2. Very top heavy! Too many cooks in the kitchen. Rather than utilizing funding dollars effectively Mcman proved to spend their dollars on upper management rather than in the heart of the company, they had teamleaders, supervisors, managers etc.

3. High turnover rate. This company runs very much like a dictatorship, therefore the turn over rate is high, waisting funding on excessive training for new employees.
Pros
Clients and guardians friendly
Cons
Management, poorly handled company
Loved the job and the work but management was terrible. not a good place to work if you have your own family, or plan to take maternity leave you won’t have a job to come back to.
Pros
Working with the families was great
Cons
Management/ethics were terrible.
Working at McMan has been an invaluable experience from which I have learned tremendously, both by practical involvement and formal training. Issues central to mental health; addiction,community support services and childhood development, were of main focus.
Pros
both by practical involvement and formal training
Cons
Mcman offers great benefits and work hours. The employees are very nice and welcoming. However some of the clients are too high risk and not put into proper programming, which puts the lives of staff and other clients in danger. Management such as supervisors require a lot more training and there should be more safety precautions put into place.
Pros
Decent pay, lots of hours, nice colleagues, lots of training
Cons
Unprofessional supervisors, lack of safety of employees and staff, very high risk youth, no recognition for good work, dirty work environment such as bed bugs, lice and mice, no support from upper management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association?
McMan, in regards to the smaller programs that you will work for, see a lot of turn over. People find the job to be quite stressful and you have to be okay working shift work. As a relief you get to have a bit more say in what shifts you pick up but you don't get any benefits. The pay is good. Managment is poor depending on your program. Prepare to do a lot of self-learning and reach out to others. Some may not like it but do it anyways!
Pros
Nice co-workers, medium salary
Cons
Lots of turnover in workers and in management, prepare for little guidance, need to self-learn
Worked with PLC program..... loved the program...loved connecting with the families but with new management made it unenjoyable to work there and more stressful.
Pros
Fun with families
Cons
The hardest part of the job is dealing with client's that refuse to cooperate with the staff and continually cancel. The best part of the job is seeing people succeed and enrich their lives.
Pros
Client's succeeding.
Cons
Contract Work
This company in general it’s a great company to work with but here in grande prairie AB, it’s every poor, always shortage of staff particularly weekends, management is crazy, weekend staff are feel left out everyday, because they said country side south is double staffing but never happen to weekends. Weekends staff work alone most of their time and job is still the same nothing changed.All management team never bothered to check on them.
Senior management lacks compassion, ethics, leadership skills and business sense. One is an outright abusive bully.

Staff were lovely to work with so its hard to see them treated unjustly as well.
Great Company to Work for!! They are great to their employees! The benefit packages are wonderful. They appreciate their staff by providing fun events!
Great place to work, would have stayed if I didn't move out of province. Never felt as connected and a part of something great as I did at McMan, top of my list for agencies in Calgary, and I worked for them all!! They care greatly not only for their clients , also for their employees, very supportive of work life balance.
Pros
good wages, welcoming, opportunities for advancement, supportive to both clients and employees
Cons
I had to leave !!
I really enjoyed working there. I enjoyed working with the clients. The training is the best so far and their benefit is one of the best if not the best. Benefit starts same day of employment. I regret leaving them and I have been trying to reapply but no luck. Reason I left was because of shortage of staff and it became too overwhelming for me as I had to come in and work if shifts couldn't be filled . The supervisor I had was not very helpful either. But overall I would work for them again if staffing was better and a more supporting supervisor.
Pros
Great benefit and average pay
Cons
Shortage of staff.
Awake nights, with all boys in group home.
Management has since changed and probably huge improvement. Staff changes were needed and that happened as well.
I really enjoy working for Mcman. The supervisors are helpful and understanding of employees with families. They did a great job training me and gave excellent feedback throughout my first year. I would recommend working at Mcman to anyone.
Pros
Work family
Cons
N.A
I have enjoyed working and supporting adults with disabilities in a variety of settings (home, community and employment) to help them live a great quality of life and support them to reach their goals
Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6