McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association Employee Reviews

Very top heavy
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2019
Working for Mcman was an extremely challenging experience.

1. Unethical practices, it was disheartening to learn that it was expected Team leaders share or hold a joint bank account with the clients they served in shared living. The company chooses to run their support programs for people with disabilities short staffed despite an increase in program or client funding, in order to recover losses.

2. Very top heavy! Too many cooks in the kitchen. Rather than utilizing funding dollars effectively Mcman proved to spend their dollars on upper management rather than in the heart of the company, they had teamleaders, supervisors, managers etc.

3. High turnover rate. This company runs very much like a dictatorship, therefore the turn over rate is high, waisting funding on excessive training for new employees.
Pros
Clients and guardians friendly
Cons
Management, poorly handled company
Loved the job
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB6 March 2019
Loved the job and the work but management was terrible. not a good place to work if you have your own family, or plan to take maternity leave you won’t have a job to come back to.
Pros
Working with the families was great
Cons
Management/ethics were terrible.
great place for a student in phychology to gain experience
Relief Worker (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge2 January 2019
Working at McMan has been an invaluable experience from which I have learned tremendously, both by practical involvement and formal training. Issues central to mental health; addiction,community support services and childhood development, were of main focus.
Pros
both by practical involvement and formal training
Cons
Not a good company to work for!
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2018
Mcman offers great benefits and work hours. The employees are very nice and welcoming. However some of the clients are too high risk and not put into proper programming, which puts the lives of staff and other clients in danger. Management such as supervisors require a lot more training and there should be more safety precautions put into place.
Pros
Decent pay, lots of hours, nice colleagues, lots of training
Cons
Unprofessional supervisors, lack of safety of employees and staff, very high risk youth, no recognition for good work, dirty work environment such as bed bugs, lice and mice, no support from upper management
Good but hard on the soul
Youth Program relief staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2018
McMan, in regards to the smaller programs that you will work for, see a lot of turn over. People find the job to be quite stressful and you have to be okay working shift work. As a relief you get to have a bit more say in what shifts you pick up but you don't get any benefits. The pay is good. Managment is poor depending on your program. Prepare to do a lot of self-learning and reach out to others. Some may not like it but do it anyways!
Pros
Nice co-workers, medium salary
Cons
Lots of turnover in workers and in management, prepare for little guidance, need to self-learn
Work/Life balance
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB24 August 2018
The hardest part of the job is dealing with client's that refuse to cooperate with the staff and continually cancel. The best part of the job is seeing people succeed and enrich their lives.
Pros
Client's succeeding.
Cons
Contract Work
Great benefits
Weekend worker (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 July 2018
This company in general it’s a great company to work with but here in grande prairie AB, it’s every poor, always shortage of staff particularly weekends, management is crazy, weekend staff are feel left out everyday, because they said country side south is double staffing but never happen to weekends. Weekends staff work alone most of their time and job is still the same nothing changed.All management team never bothered to check on them.
Not a true nonprofit
Finance (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB20 June 2018
Senior management lacks compassion, ethics, leadership skills and business sense. One is an outright abusive bully.

Staff were lovely to work with so its hard to see them treated unjustly as well.
I enjoy working for this company
Care Aide, Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 May 2018
Great Company to Work for!! They are great to their employees! The benefit packages are wonderful. They appreciate their staff by providing fun events!
Care about employees as much as clients!!
Program Supervisor Manhattan Place Group Home (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2018
Great place to work, would have stayed if I didn't move out of province. Never felt as connected and a part of something great as I did at McMan, top of my list for agencies in Calgary, and I worked for them all!! They care greatly not only for their clients , also for their employees, very supportive of work life balance.
Pros
good wages, welcoming, opportunities for advancement, supportive to both clients and employees
Cons
I had to leave !!
Great company to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB5 April 2018
I really enjoyed working there. I enjoyed working with the clients. The training is the best so far and their benefit is one of the best if not the best. Benefit starts same day of employment. I regret leaving them and I have been trying to reapply but no luck. Reason I left was because of shortage of staff and it became too overwhelming for me as I had to come in and work if shifts couldn't be filled . The supervisor I had was not very helpful either. But overall I would work for them again if staffing was better and a more supporting supervisor.
Pros
Great benefit and average pay
Cons
Shortage of staff.
Good job for what it was
Youth Worker- Awake Nights, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2017
Awake nights, with all boys in group home.
Management has since changed and probably huge improvement. Staff changes were needed and that happened as well.
Red Deer Family Development
Family Development (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 February 2017
I really enjoy working for Mcman. The supervisors are helpful and understanding of employees with families. They did a great job training me and gave excellent feedback throughout my first year. I would recommend working at Mcman to anyone.
Pros
Work family
Cons
N.A
Great job working with great individuals
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB19 February 2017
I have enjoyed working and supporting adults with disabilities in a variety of settings (home, community and employment) to help them live a great quality of life and support them to reach their goals
Agency with integrity and professionalism.
Healthy Families & FASD Outreach worker (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB17 January 2017
Working independently with clients to provide support and assist them in accessing services that will aid them in gain and attaining their goals for a healthy and positive life style.
Pros
Great agency all around
Life Coach (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 September 2016
The job was okay but stressful sometimes. Management really helped out. pay was average though for the stress you go through but then again the company did all they could to help out.
Pros
Company cares about their employees
Cons
average pay
great for the years i was there
Community Resource Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2016
I enjoyed working there very much was sad to leave the position. it was great working with the guys i worked for. I learned how to recognize seizures better.coworkers were fun to work with. hardest part of the job was moving the clients. The most enjoyable part was seeing them smile
Pros
mens smile
Not your "a typical" job
Team Leader, shared living (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 April 2016
Very challenging with co-workers. Individuals with less then average skills working with clients with challenges equals managing chaos.Working with clients, was the only positive side. Management either doesn't see what's happening or in some cases are overwhelmed and choose to not do anything to address problems. Didn't feel appreciated during my short time there. Wasn't worth their while to even talk to me to get more information on why I wanted to resign. I guess in the end they showed who they really are. Would never choose them as an employer ever again.
Pros
Fair wages
Cons
Co-workers, management, poor training, support sporadic
McMan in Drayton Vally
Family Development Worker (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB13 December 2015
I worked at McMan in Drayton Valley as a family support worker. Management was inconsistent, went through three supervisors before finally bringing up the inconsistencies to higher management... Was terminated without just cause after bringing it up. I was expected to be on call for a constantly changing schedule allowing no time to even attend a doctors appointment. I was the only employee, no support. No training and overall... Just a terrible experience.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unable to schedule anything around work, clients are not priority, badly managed
Friendly and quiet
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2015
The people I worked with were really nice and very friendly, they were very specific on what needed to be done. Communication was very excellent.
Pros
Breaks were a bit longer