McGill University

McGill University Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant21 reviews
Canada21 reviews

Teaching Assistant

Relatively relaxed job culture. Usually there are no tight deadlines. Your workload depends on who you are working with. A good way to earn extra income working as a TA when you are a graduate student, not for long-term growth though. Salary can be improved depending on qualifications and experience.

Pros

relaxed

Cons

no career growth

TA/Grader

Graded assignments, pretty chill. Not paid enough though, important to get more hours. If your title is grader not TA, don't do extra TA work because they are not paying you enough for that

Insights into McGill University

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

learned lots of useful stuff through course instructor

At McGill, I have also gained strong presentation skills serving as an instructor for the course Economic Statistics, and as a teaching assistant for various courses, including Health Economics, Labor Economics and Microeconomics.

Great team to work with!

The organization is set up to benefit the employee, and as such, you are treated with respect and kindness. The work-life balance is paramount within this organization.

Great university

I worked as a teaching assistant at McGill University. It is fun to work with those undergraduate students. An excellent way to practice my teaching skills and also learn from students.

Good job for graduate students

The work load is good enough to focus on your studies as well as earn some money. It can be a challenge sometimes to manage the professor as well as the students as their requests can be quite the opposite.

Productive and competitive university

- Advanced theoretical learning experience - High tech laboratories - Friendly environment - Advanced research capabilities - Possibility of learning and researching multidisciplinary fields

a great experience

The job is very interesting and educatable, I have learned a lot during the whole time. Students are very nice, supervisors are very helpful. And mcgill is paying well.

Simple job

Overall, this was a simple job. I was tasked with evaluating and grading a multitude of course materials, including assignments and exams. The pay was decent.

Good For Grad Student

Not bad for a grad student position but not enough to live on. As with any grad student position, you are in a limbo where you don't get the benefits of a regular employee

Good staff support, healthy working environment

As a teaching assistant at McGill I enjoyed the support of senior staff and administration when it came it integrating into the work environment. I was given independence, but help was available when I needed it.

Teaching assistant job at McGill with Health Canada

Being a teaching assistant at McGill university has been quite a rewarding experience. I have the opportunity to give corrective feedback to students and grade their oral production assignments.

Great place to work, surrounded by forward thinkers

While working at McGill University, I was surrounded by others who share my curiosities about reproduction, molecular biology and science in general. The liberty of flex-hours encouraged me to complete my duties while allowing me to find a good work-life balance. Being part of such a forward-thinking community allowed me to learn something new everyday. Although many people in my department were working on similar topics, each had a different perspective, and we were all eager to share our methods and protocols with others.

Great

Was left to be independent in taking control of the course in which I was acting as teaching assistant. Was fun and interactive, with plenty of learning on a day to day basis.

Graduate life isn't forever!

Being a grad student isn't a classic job but I treated it as a job nonetheless. I was paid to complete my thesis and teaching was meant to help subsidize my funding for my PhD. Overall I learned a lot about scientific research and analysis, and what to do and what not to do as a team leader (and hopefully supervisor) in the future. I enjoyed collaborating with other professors at the University and I thrived under the supportive academic atmosphere in my program. The best part of being a grad student is the flexibility of my schedule. I was able to accommodate the requirements of my teaching responsibilities while going into lab to complete work on my own projects. However, it was also difficult to put much time and effort into one job (teaching vs. research), there was always a balance that needed to be met, or else I would fall behind in either side of my responsibilities. Time management is key in this situation! I plan to keep what I learned at McGill in mind and try to recreate that supportive academic atmosphere in my next position.

Pros

flexible schedule, teaching undergrads, able to be creative

Cons

long hours, not much pay, no time to do anything else

productive and a place to learn

i learnt a lot from my boss and colleagues. the pay was very good. it was a wonderful experience. i also learned a great deal from the students i was assigned to.

Great

Great. love working there. Love working for McGill University Faculty of Science

Incredible professors and other professionals and resources make McGill an incredible place to work and study

Incredibly knowledgable professors and educators, diligent and involved students, a beautiful campus and city full of resources. Great place to work and meet highly educated people and be exposed to new developments in the field of history.

Fun place to learn

The research institute of the Royal Victoria Hospital (RVH) is one of the best place for a research student to learn and develop. In as much as it is a multicultural environment, collaborative work between the labs enables the student to learn and share knowledge

Good experience teaching students

I used to be an teaching assistant of COMP 206: Introduction to software development

Good school to work for

You meet interesting people from all over the world and therefore many personalities an insights from life.

Pros

you can learn both english and french

Cons

nepotism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement