McGill University
Happiness score is 76 out of 100

McGill University Employee Reviews for Post-doctoral Fellow

Post-doctoral Fellow20 reviews
Canada20 reviews

Research relationship with the industry

Professor is wonderful. Job not guaranteed after end of tenure, renewal of contact dependent on research fund availability. No teaching activities, just research .

Excellent work place

I found my current institute has very professional working environment with extraordinary facility to do science. I enjoyed having a wonderful mentor and acquired a big experience that will perfectly shape my career.

Insights into McGill University

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Top university with good work experience

I am a postdoctoral fellow at McGill University. McGill is one of the top universities. It is a nice please for postdoctoral researchers who hope to find a job in the academic field.

This is a world class university with good work life balance. I highly recommend people to join McGill. This is a good platform to build yourself before you plunge into the real world.

Friendly atmosphere

I was a postdoc In Mc Gill University for four years. I have a proper job work and life balance. Very friendly atmosphere for international students. Very collaborative as well as competitive atmosphere.

Productive and fun

Amazing work environment with great facilities. People working here are kind and helpful. The cultural diversity is amazing and the collaboration with different institutions create a better network. I really enjoy spending my time working here.

Nice place to work

Labs are well equipped. Peoples are fantastic. Resources in terms of equipment and persons are available. Very good work-life balance. Rules and regulations are the only barrier in terms of administrative execution.

Perfect place for Postdoc

Interesting and challenging work, international team, good managment and supervising, working with industry, flexible hours

Pros

Flexible hours, interesting and complex projects

Postdoc researcher

• Synthesized (iron-iron oxide) core-shell nanoparticles and tweaked the crystallinity of the iron oxide shell by synthesis condition. • Deposited copper nano layers on the iron-iron oxide nanoparticles and used as a recyclable heterogeneous catalyst in a Click reaction (5 mol% catalyst was recycled 10 times). • Fully characterized the copper-iron nanoparticles with electron microscopy and spectroscopy techniques (TEM, SEM, FIB, XPS).

productive and fun

Actually, the day is full of a lot to do. Although all are busy but once you need any advice you can find more than one around you. Team work is the most amazing thing which I like to. Co-works are providing always the new in the group meeting. I enjoyed to work here indeed.

Pros

fun events

Cons

busy

Good research centre

As a Postdoctoral fellow is hard to balance work with life, the centre is good in equipment and there is usually good atmosphere with co-workers.

Pros

student

Cons

no benefits

I've had better university experiences

Perhaps I arrived in a bad funding climate, but the work environment was very toxic. This toxicity did not originate with my lab mates, but members of other labs on the floor. I purposefully chose not to attend an ivy league school as an undergraduate because I had heard to the rampant narcissism, belittling, sabotaging, and bad attitudes. It seems I found the Canadian version, sadly. Also, they did not budget for machine maintenance, or personnel to maintain very expensive scientific equipment. American universities seem to have this better dealt with.

Pros

Montreal is a beautiful city.

Cons

Broken machines, toxic work environment

Post Doctoral Fellow

A multi cultural place with a flexible and balanced work schedule. Good co workers and good facilities. However, there is no room for advancement and the salary is relatively low. It is a good place to gain experience and learn new things.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Low salary, no benefits

The work environment in broadband communications group here in the department of ECE in McGill University is awesome.

I work as a postdoctoral fellow under the supervision of Prof. Tho Le-Ngoc. At present, I am working on device-to-device communications, where the devices are capable of harvesting renewable energies from the environment. I develop algorithms to optimize the system resources with the help of optimization and machine learning tools. I enjoy working with our professor as well as with fellow colleagues.

Great university with lots going on.

Enjoyed my postdoctoral research working for in a dynamic research facility. Good staff and coworkers with new equipments and infrastructure to support innovative research.

McGill ranks as one of the best universities in North America, and 17th in the world.

- People from across the globe. - Enjoy the summer vibe and McGill’s green space.

Rewarding

Working at this place was very rewarding in terms of scientific achievements.

great place to work

The school is excellent in high reputation except limited budget from the government due to political conflict.

Intellectually stimulating environment, multidisciplinary research, teamwork

My typical day at work consists of literature review in the field of my research, lab discussion on my work progress with colleagues, exchange of ideas, programming and high performance computing. I learned how to be self-reliant and effectively use resources (researchers with different backgrounds and computational tools for medical image processing and analysis) available at Montreal Neurological Institute to advance my own research. In the Brain Imaging Centre I am given full freedom of thought and there is no micromanagement. My co-workers are scientists who came to the field of neuroscience with different backgrounds (physics, biomedical engineering, psychiatry, computer science, statistics and mathematics). I had a great knowledge enriching experience collaborating with them. The hardest part of the job was invention of a novel methodology that would be applicable to the challenging dataset of MRI scans of early developing brains. The most enjoyable part of the job was attending conferences and disseminating my research results to the neuroimaging community.

Pros

Networking, enriched social life, establishment of research interests and area of influence

Cons

No job security, benefits or advancement within the same institution

Fun and challenging

A nest of exuberance where youth and wisdom intermix. Working at McGill as a postdoc with loose if not inexistent supervision from an absent supervisor gave me the self assurance needed later as a chemistry director. During this time I managed to publish my work in the most cited journals and increase my scientific impact factor.

Pros

great lectures

Cons

academic nepotism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement