McGill University
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

Working at McGill University: Employee Reviews

Canada477 reviews

universitymontrealstudentprofessorresearcherlabacademicexperiment

University is not the best time of your life.

Grad Student in Medecine. Gruelling hours, litttle pay, you have to buy in insurance.It is good to get a masters but I had to invest in my future and do sacrifices. It is very PI dependent and my PI was not really the best.

Pros

Student discounts

Cons

Useful avenue for tutors to find students

People who wish to tutor McGill students should be officially employed here for a set wage. This also allows McGill to help you find students who have taken the same courses as you.

Insights into McGill University

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Research assistant

The hourly pay rate is among the best in Canada.The professors are really understanding and supportingWorking schedules are flexible.Helpful coworkers

Working environment highly political with conflicting provincial, organizational and departmental goals.

Salaires for instructional designers unrelfective of market value.Little to no budget for necessary tools and archaix systems still used (fax).-example - was asked to put the department survey monkey software onto my personal credit card as the accounts payable office had no means to pay for SaaS On a monthly basis.Do not recommend if not a healthcare professional.

Good culture with a lot of flexibility

Great place to gain working experience and make lasting connections. If you're looking to get into just about industry (tech, finance, etc) after graduating, there are lots of good part and full time opportunities to gain experience.

Research

Research environment is highly dependent on the laboratory and principle investigator. Overall good research facility and great opportunity to lead your individual research project

Stimulating workplace

I enjoyed being a research assistant. to my supervisor. My supervisor was always supportive of my work and motivated me to produce higher quality research and documentation in an organized, clear fashion. This was an especially helpful skill when I continued on to my graduate studies.The university bureaucracy can be exhausting, however, but that was beyond the control of the job itself, and I could thankfully avoid it.

Bad HR policies

They still live in earlier decades and rules are only to benefit them and never the employees. Hard to advance and get well deserved promotions and increases. Not one of canada’s top employers

Mediocre

On the job expectations not set out clearly by managers. Extremely high turnover rate made team nervous. Lack of support from higher ups to do job properly.

Pros

Good coworkers

Terrible place to work

McGill is a terrible place to work, most of the directors at McGill have no respect for their employees. They are like little tyrants. Working overtime without compensation is very common.

Not a bad job

average pay with a relaxed environment. Management is great, and there is a marking scheme to grade students. Lab sessions go for 4 hours, but if you are able to get your students to finish on time, you also get to leave early.

Good workpkace

New ideas and knowledge around, good and alive environment to learn and grow. Opportunities to collebrate with other universities and companies for good projects.

management

the worst place that I have in terms of management, pay and overall working culture, should be avoided at all costs, I am surprised, how they can carry on!

Pros

Cons

everything

Great place to work as a postdoc

I worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the mechanical engineering department. Was very motivated and my supervisor supported me all the way through my career choices. The benefits/union fees can take a bit out of the pay unnecessarily.

Pros

Inclusive and supportive work environment

Cons

Pay for postdoc researchers is on the low side

A good place to work. Best work culture. It's a flexible environment. You can plan your day. The benefits at McGill University are fair. Safe work environment

Relaxed environment and diverse projects

A nice place to work at but not very challenging. There is a diversity in porjects. Low salaries and not a lot of activities from HR. Not a lot of cohesion between teams.

Pros

good benefits, short hours

Cons

low salaries, not challenging, small projects

Amazing University to work at

Best experience of my life, loved working at Birks Library. Enjoyed interacting with the students, librarians. Great supervisor to work for. Beautiful grounds and lots of history.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Job only lasted 5 months

Ouvert à la diversité des talents

Belle diversité! Beaucoup d’ouverture à la diversité des talents.

Bad management, mediocre supervisors, entitled students

Job security is great, but stewards are overworked, supervisors try to support us but can't, management just wants to squeeze more money out for research to look good internationally.Nights are either stressful or dull, students are intolerable, there is little backup from above. Night stewards are expected to do all Security roles all the time, and then some.Benefits are quite good.

Benefits

Cons

Students, supervisors, management, hours, nature of work

Excellent academic environment to work

McGill University is a great academic institution globally ranked in the top 20s for research and learning. The work environment is generally stress-free , flexible, and friendly. It is a great place to work for learning while working. The work-life balance is possible for employees with family and kids.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Low salary structure

Great experience

Great experience working at McGill University. Challenging, but worth it. I received experience in working on various laboratory experiments that prepared me for my career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement