McGill University
Happiness score is 80 out of 100

McGill University Employee Reviews

Insights into McGill University

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility

Phd student

Hard but rewarding. During Covid was harder but usually is a very isolating experience. Most important thing is having a good fit with the supervisor

TA/Grader

Graded assignments, pretty chill. Not paid enough though, important to get more hours. If your title is grader not TA, don't do extra TA work because they are not paying you enough for that

Enjoyed working at McGill. The atmosphere was good and the perks were great. 3 weeks vacation after 1 year, 10 Fridays off from st Jean Baptist until Labour day, closed between Christmas and the day after New Year, all PAID. The pay rate is good and great people to work with (staff, professors and students). A very pleasant environment.

Pros

Somewhat flex hours, 90 minute lunches, It is located in the heart of downtown, with easy access by bus, metro or car, 32.5 hour work week, good pay.

Cons

Finding parking on campus is expensive. a spot on the street not always available, not always easy to find a spot to rent monthly

Avoid

Horrible place to work for as international. Believe me I have been a student even here! Spent more than 5 bloody years in here. Would never recommend it to anyone. It is NOT inclusive! You are lost and ALWAYS on your own!

Pros

Cons

Too many to count

Conservative and inefficient workplace but stable

McGill is a stable but conservative employer. You can expect to work there for a long time, your entire career perhaps but the bureaucracy and opportunities for advancement can birth be stifling. I would only recommend it for someone who would like to either pad their resume for a few years, or conversely, find a place to wind down their career in stability and comfort.

Pros

Nice campus, nice people.

Cons

Unambitious, difficult admin.

I like my job

I like my job Everything is very good and the professors really help me in the lab to learn good skills. I am grateful for it and can't wait to see what I achieve.

Access to excellent scholars but the culture is exploitative

I learned a lot as a graduate student, but the culture at this university is terrible for your mental health. Also, during my short time here (2-3 years), the department cut back on minimum funding support for graduate students, at a time when the cost of living in Montreal is rapidly increasing.

Wonderful experience

I was a TA and I was treated fairly. Wonderful experience. It’s a beautiful campus. The professors are amazing. Life is great working there. Academia at its finest.

professional , fearless research oriented environment . educational institute with many activities including weekly breakfast and quarterly barbeque,

Overall good

Overall difficult to deal with the red-tape. That being said, there were plenty of resources to help you navigate the position. It can get tiring to deal with the red-tape and procedures.

World renowned research hub.

Great experience and exposure for prospective graduate students. The university is located at the center of downtown Montreal and offers anything a graduate student could hope for. Work-life balance may suffer depending on the PI you choose to work with.

Pros

Access to bright minds, cutting edge technology, and exciting research opportunities.

Cons

Will primarily depend on your PI.

Great people, great work/family balance,

McGill University was the best place I ever worked at.Just some PROs:Management that realize your professional capabilities and does not try to micro manage your every step, but rather provides background support and assistance.Team members, even in other teams, that answer your questions within acceptable delay. Overall team work is aimed at results and not at finding the scapegoats.If you are employee, lots of paid days off.Work schedule that takes your family into account.

Pros

Paid summer Fridays, employer RSP participation, relaxed environment

Cons

Lower salaries

Expérience inoubliable avec les enseignants Cri

Nous avons beaucoup travaillé auprès d'enseignantes autochtones Cri. Elles nous ont beaucoup apporté et ont ouvert nos yeux. Leur appréciation de notre formation a dépassée nos attentes.

Excellent work environment

McGill University is an educational institution that is one of the best in the quality of professors, quality research produced, quality of the environment is outstanding.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Quality reserchers

Toxic environment

I would not recommend this place. They have not evolved with time. The managers scream at there employees. It not a great environment and people are not happy there. Stay away from this place.

Pros

Non

Cons

Bullying

nice place eerreeeee

it is really nice and friendly place I think it could be very helpful especially for those who want to start a new job and learn new tasks , the city is nice too.

Good

Great place to work, academic environment but difficult to get in. Fair place of work, with professors and other academic people. Depending on the jo, it can be a challenging or slow pace place of work.

Good place to work at

I learned a lot considering it was my first real job. My manager was great, she cared about us and that were treated and paid fair. Never felt as if we were working in a foreign place.

productive and fun workplace

Loved volunteering there! Everyone was very helpful and nice. It was a very fast paced environnement though as expected with any hospital. Hardest part was for sure seeing some very sad and frightening situations.

Free and self-organized

A day in McGill start from doing an experiment. We made plans and took time to read literature. Usually, in the afternoon, we analysed the data and wrote report.

productive

a competitive atmosphere that makes you improve your knowledge and productivity to be able to continue your job position. due to the high-quality instructors and students, you need to have a great background to be able to work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3