McGill University
Happiness score is 76 out of 100

McGill University Employee Reviews

Canada461 reviews

Amazing University to work at

Best experience of my life, loved working at Birks Library. Enjoyed interacting with the students, librarians. Great supervisor to work for. Beautiful grounds and lots of history.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Job only lasted 5 months

Ouvert à la diversité des talents

Belle diversité! Beaucoup d’ouverture à la diversité des talents.

Insights into McGill University

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Bad management, mediocre supervisors, entitled students

Job security is great, but stewards are overworked, supervisors try to support us but can't, management just wants to squeeze more money out for research to look good internationally.Nights are either stressful or dull, students are intolerable, there is little backup from above. Night stewards are expected to do all Security roles all the time, and then some.Benefits are quite good.

Benefits

Cons

Students, supervisors, management, hours, nature of work

Excellent academic environment to work

McGill University is a great academic institution globally ranked in the top 20s for research and learning. The work environment is generally stress-free , flexible, and friendly. It is a great place to work for learning while working. The work-life balance is possible for employees with family and kids.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Low salary structure

Great experience

Great experience working at McGill University. Challenging, but worth it. I received experience in working on various laboratory experiments that prepared me for my career.

Collaborative space

Excellent company to workGreat people.Opportunities to growEducation and research with application is the foundationGreat benefits and pay on time

Work Study

Great opportunity with decent pay! Depends on what area you work in, of course. However, I have really enjoyed my experience and would highly recommend it to students looking for some extra money.

Good university

good pay and good options for advancements since the library system is so big, it's possible to move around and find something suitable to you in whatever department.

Bad pay compared to competitors

You can get paid 20% more if you work at Concordia or at a cégep. Benefits are good though. Great vacation allotment (if you don’t have too many black out dates). Summer Fridays are great.

Good

Good, I learned a lot from the professors! Unfortunately, experiences can vary depending on who is your supervisor, but I have heard good things overall.

Productive and enjoyable work environment

Everything flow smoothly - administrators are uptodate and students are highly committed to their studies.

I am a student here.

Good university, little funding for graduate studies.Bilingual, both English and French are okay.Nice people, nice culture.not that much government support since the main language is english.

Nice place to work

Not much to complain about. Great staff and decent work/life balance. Management is great. Job is rewarding. Can be stressful at times but overall I am satisfied here!

Friendly atmosphere - Good work/life balance - Very respectful environment - Diverse all nationalities environment - Salaries are on the lower scale - Stability - Good benefits

Productive and fun workplace with lots of departments

I worked in the Bio lab as a Computer Scientist and enjoyed learning about new concepts everyday. My Prof was very supportive and did everything to make me grow. The feedback was very useful to advance myself in my software career.

Teaching Assistant

Relatively relaxed job culture. Usually there are no tight deadlines. Your workload depends on who you are working with. A good way to earn extra income working as a TA when you are a graduate student, not for long-term growth though. Salary can be improved depending on qualifications and experience.

Pros

relaxed

Cons

no career growth

TA/Grader

Graded assignments, pretty chill. Not paid enough though, important to get more hours. If your title is grader not TA, don't do extra TA work because they are not paying you enough for that

Phd student

Hard but rewarding. During Covid was harder but usually is a very isolating experience. Most important thing is having a good fit with the supervisor

Enjoyed working at McGill. The atmosphere was good and the perks were great. 3 weeks vacation after 1 year, 10 Fridays off from st Jean Baptist until Labour day, closed between Christmas and the day after New Year, all PAID. The pay rate is good and great people to work with (staff, professors and students). A very pleasant environment.

Pros

Somewhat flex hours, 90 minute lunches, It is located in the heart of downtown, with easy access by bus, metro or car, 32.5 hour work week, good pay.

Cons

Finding parking on campus is expensive. a spot on the street not always available, not always easy to find a spot to rent monthly

Avoid

Horrible place to work for as international. Believe me I have been a student even here! Spent more than 5 bloody years in here. Would never recommend it to anyone. It is NOT inclusive! You are lost and ALWAYS on your own!

Pros

Cons

Too many to count

Conservative and inefficient workplace but stable

McGill is a stable but conservative employer. You can expect to work there for a long time, your entire career perhaps but the bureaucracy and opportunities for advancement can birth be stifling. I would only recommend it for someone who would like to either pad their resume for a few years, or conversely, find a place to wind down their career in stability and comfort.

Pros

Nice campus, nice people.

Cons

Unambitious, difficult admin.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGill University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement