McGill University Employee Reviews

Supportive work environment
Research Assistant to Professor Robert Lecker (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2018
I am a research assistant for professors in the English department. Most of my work consists in doing research for them. All of my bosses are very supportive and encouraging. They have adapted to my student schedule and understood when I had to take some time off for health reasons. They are always extremely positive and respectful of their assistants and give us work that is appealing and academically important for graduate students.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Productive and competitive university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 November 2018
- Advanced theoretical learning experience
- High tech laboratories
- Friendly environment
- Advanced research capabilities
- Possibility of learning and researching multidisciplinary fields
Great Experience
Security Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 October 2018
Great place to gain experience in security or any job in law enforcement. Friendly and productive team to work with. Although hours may be long and inconsistent at times.
Pros
Productive team.
Cons
Inconsistent hours.
Très bonne expérience.
Research Trainee (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 October 2018
Bonne expérience, université d'excellence, équipement adapté, très enrichissant.
Organisme en mutation
Gestionnaire (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 October 2018
Beaucoup de défis mais des moyens limités pour les réaliser.
Gestion un peu sclérosée par la politique, la gouvernance et les procédures. Belle équilibre travail et vie personnelle.
Pros
Horaire flexible possible, horaire d'été a 4 jours.
Cons
Manque de vision et de leadership
Awesome Job
Event Staff/Concessions/Equipment (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 October 2018
This job was really awesome. I made lots of friends and learned a lot about responsibility and how to take initiative. It also taught me the importance of finishing tasks properly and quickly.
I worked as a Teacher's Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 September 2018
I worked for two separate professors. The hours were reasonable. I held office hours, graded papers, and led several discussion groups. The work is good practice for eventually becoming a professor.
Productive and perfect
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 September 2018
It was perfect working with such outstanding and top university. I learnt many things which will definitely help me in my professional career in the future.
friendly place to work
Graduate Research Assistant and Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2018
It was a good university to study at. I did my PhD study over there at McDonal Campus. The problem is that it is outside of the city and took half an hour up to one hour of communication if you would like to live in downtown Montreal. Apart from that, the department was perfect.
Pros
good community. good equipment.
Cons
Far from downtown
Great workplace, amazing people of different cultures!
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 August 2018
McGill University is a great place to work! However, in many departments there tends to be poor management. I had the good fortune of being part of several years of an excellent senior administration, but left at a time when that all changed when a new administration was mandated and began breaking down the wonderful dynamics created by their predecessors. It was sad to see how a workplace so positive, and unbroken, can change to become a more hostile and negative work place. Unfortunately it takes several years for the board to be aware of the unqualified people they've placed in charge of these units, and good employees leave before something is done to improve or eliminate these individuals. But I had several great years there, and I will always remember those.
Pros
Many to mention, but summer Fridays, less than 30-hour work week, decent salary and great benefits
Cons
Lots of politics and bureaucracy to manage
Productive and fun
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2018
Amazing work environment with great facilities. People working here are kind and helpful. The cultural diversity is amazing and the collaboration with different institutions create a better network. I really enjoy spending my time working here.
Research intensive University
Researcher and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montreal QC1 August 2018
The University is research intensive and therefore is a competitive and beneficial organization to join. The quality of the work and experience is positive.
Instituição agradável e bem incentivadora
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Montréal, CA30 July 2018
Por se tratar de uma instituição de ensino, ela disponibiliza uma equipe de profissionais assim como um ambiente disponível e propício ao desenvolvimento de pesquisa e ciência.
Well organized and easy to work at
Course Grader (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 July 2018
Being a McGill grader was very worthwhile as you can mark for courses that you have previously taken. It is a great opportunity to give back to the students and it is very well organized by McGill.
McGill is a resourceful yet demanding university
PhD Researcher, Molecular & Translational Oncology (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 July 2018
As a PhD researcher , my day is mostly spent doing experiments at the lab, in addition to the courses required for the program completion. With proper planning, I was able to attend the various information sessions, workshops offered by student services or career planning services.
Pros
Reputations, Resources
Cons
Demanding research load
productive job
Chief GIS Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 July 2018
Help staffs and students with GIS questions or projects.
Learn new things and update the technology very often.
working environment is perfect
see new students every year
PostDoc a McGill
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 July 2018
Ottimo luogo di lavoro e di crescita sia professionale che personale.
Ambiente multiculturale e dinamico.
Esperienza magnifica.
Professional Institution
ADMINISTRATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 June 2018
Very inclusive and team-oriented evironment. Coworkers are supportive and willling to help. Management is hard working and fair. Still, such a large institution is understaffed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Sites are spread out and not easily accessible.
depressing
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 June 2018
work in rooms with no windows its hot and you smell like animals all the time. would want to work there again. people are nice just job is repetitive.
Management Issues
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 June 2018
There are a lot of issues due to too many managers. No one can make a decision and communication is difficult. Not a lot of opportunity for personal/career growth and no encouragement on behalf of the managers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many managers, lack of organization