McGill University

McGill University Employee Reviews

I was a TA and I was treated fairly. Wonderful experience. It’s a beautiful campus. The professors are amazing. Life is great working there. Academia at its finest.
I learned a lot as a graduate student, but the culture at this university is terrible for your mental health. Also, during my short time here (2-3 years), the department cut back on minimum funding support for graduate students, at a time when the cost of living in Montreal is rapidly increasing.
professional , fearless research oriented environment . educational institute with many activities including weekly breakfast and quarterly barbeque,
Overall difficult to deal with the red-tape. That being said, there were plenty of resources to help you navigate the position. It can get tiring to deal with the red-tape and procedures.
Great experience and exposure for prospective graduate students. The university is located at the center of downtown Montreal and offers anything a graduate student could hope for. Work-life balance may suffer depending on the PI you choose to work with.
Pros
Access to bright minds, cutting edge technology, and exciting research opportunities.
Cons
Will primarily depend on your PI.
McGill University was the best place I ever worked at.Just some PROs:Management that realize your professional capabilities and does not try to micro manage your every step, but rather provides background support and assistance.Team members, even in other teams, that answer your questions within acceptable delay. Overall team work is aimed at results and not at finding the scapegoats.If you are employee, lots of paid days off.Work schedule that takes your family into account.
Pros
Paid summer Fridays, employer RSP participation, relaxed environment
Cons
Lower salaries
Nous avons beaucoup travaillé auprès d'enseignantes autochtones Cri. Elles nous ont beaucoup apporté et ont ouvert nos yeux. Leur appréciation de notre formation a dépassée nos attentes.
McGill University is an educational institution that is one of the best in the quality of professors, quality research produced, quality of the environment is outstanding.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Quality reserchers
I would not recommend this place. They have not evolved with time. The managers scream at there employees. It not a great environment and people are not happy there. Stay away from this place.
Pros
Non
Cons
Bullying
it is really nice and friendly place I think it could be very helpful especially for those who want to start a new job and learn new tasks , the city is nice too.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McGill University?
Great place to work, academic environment but difficult to get in. Fair place of work, with professors and other academic people. Depending on the jo, it can be a challenging or slow pace place of work.
I learned a lot considering it was my first real job. My manager was great, she cared about us and that were treated and paid fair. Never felt as if we were working in a foreign place.
Loved volunteering there! Everyone was very helpful and nice. It was a very fast paced environnement though as expected with any hospital. Hardest part was for sure seeing some very sad and frightening situations.
A day in McGill start from doing an experiment. We made plans and took time to read literature. Usually, in the afternoon, we analysed the data and wrote report.
a competitive atmosphere that makes you improve your knowledge and productivity to be able to continue your job position. due to the high-quality instructors and students, you need to have a great background to be able to work there.
Ideal for students on campus looking for a job Easy going staffs, very helpful Need to be on top of your work, be very organized Be able to meet deadlines
Work is well-paced with a lot of support from middle management. Summer fridays off. Enjoyable clientele - a mix of students, faculty, and support staff. Cutting edge technologies & facilities
I had really good colleagues. The reason I loved working here was mainly the team. I was working as one of the graphic designers in CaPS McGill University.
For example, working at the library of McGill University is not stressful and enjoyable due to the very compassionate supervisors. Some of the tasks require shelving books - placing them in their appropriate place, searching for requested books and take part in special missions.
I was a full-time student for two years. There are many opportunities to learn and improve in both area Knowledge and culture. Learning from professors who the most are knowledgeable and aware prof. Unwithstanding studying at McGill would be a sort of fast-paced education, but that would be one of the unforgettable experience in life. Working together, Learning more, following up hard and enjoying deep at the time I studied at McGill that push forward me with the supportive and effective methods. Also, ‌studying at this university motivates us to be able to work as an effective and innovative member of a group.
Professor is wonderful. Job not guaranteed after end of tenure, renewal of contact dependent on research fund availability. No teaching activities, just research .
  1. Employee reviews