McGill University Employee Reviews

Organisme en mutation
Gestionnaire (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 October 2018
Beaucoup de défis mais des moyens limités pour les réaliser.
Gestion un peu sclérosée par la politique, la gouvernance et les procédures. Belle équilibre travail et vie personnelle.
Pros
Horaire flexible possible, horaire d'été a 4 jours.
Cons
Manque de vision et de leadership
I worked as a Teacher's Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 September 2018
I worked for two separate professors. The hours were reasonable. I held office hours, graded papers, and led several discussion groups. The work is good practice for eventually becoming a professor.
Productive and perfect
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 September 2018
It was perfect working with such outstanding and top university. I learnt many things which will definitely help me in my professional career in the future.
friendly place to work
Graduate Research Assistant and Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2018
It was a good university to study at. I did my PhD study over there at McDonal Campus. The problem is that it is outside of the city and took half an hour up to one hour of communication if you would like to live in downtown Montreal. Apart from that, the department was perfect.
Pros
good community. good equipment.
Cons
Far from downtown
Great workplace, amazing people of different cultures!
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 August 2018
McGill University is a great place to work! However, in many departments there tends to be poor management. I had the good fortune of being part of several years of an excellent senior administration, but left at a time when that all changed when a new administration was mandated and began breaking down the wonderful dynamics created by their predecessors. It was sad to see how a workplace so positive, and unbroken, can change to become a more hostile and negative work place. Unfortunately it takes several years for the board to be aware of the unqualified people they've placed in charge of these units, and good employees leave before something is done to improve or eliminate these individuals. But I had several great years there, and I will always remember those.
Pros
Many to mention, but summer Fridays, less than 30-hour work week, decent salary and great benefits
Cons
Lots of politics and bureaucracy to manage
Productive and fun
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2018
Amazing work environment with great facilities. People working here are kind and helpful. The cultural diversity is amazing and the collaboration with different institutions create a better network. I really enjoy spending my time working here.
Research intensive University
Researcher and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montreal QC1 August 2018
The University is research intensive and therefore is a competitive and beneficial organization to join. The quality of the work and experience is positive.
Instituição agradável e bem incentivadora
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Montréal, CA30 July 2018
Por se tratar de uma instituição de ensino, ela disponibiliza uma equipe de profissionais assim como um ambiente disponível e propício ao desenvolvimento de pesquisa e ciência.
Well organized and easy to work at
Course Grader (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 July 2018
Being a McGill grader was very worthwhile as you can mark for courses that you have previously taken. It is a great opportunity to give back to the students and it is very well organized by McGill.
McGill is a resourceful yet demanding university
PhD Researcher, Molecular & Translational Oncology (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 July 2018
As a PhD researcher , my day is mostly spent doing experiments at the lab, in addition to the courses required for the program completion. With proper planning, I was able to attend the various information sessions, workshops offered by student services or career planning services.
Pros
Reputations, Resources
Cons
Demanding research load

Want to know more about McGill University?

Ask a question
productive job
Chief GIS Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 July 2018
Help staffs and students with GIS questions or projects.
Learn new things and update the technology very often.
working environment is perfect
see new students every year
PostDoc a McGill
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 July 2018
Ottimo luogo di lavoro e di crescita sia professionale che personale.
Ambiente multiculturale e dinamico.
Esperienza magnifica.
Professional Institution
ADMINISTRATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 June 2018
Very inclusive and team-oriented evironment. Coworkers are supportive and willling to help. Management is hard working and fair. Still, such a large institution is understaffed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Sites are spread out and not easily accessible.
depressing
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 June 2018
work in rooms with no windows its hot and you smell like animals all the time. would want to work there again. people are nice just job is repetitive.
Management Issues
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 June 2018
There are a lot of issues due to too many managers. No one can make a decision and communication is difficult. Not a lot of opportunity for personal/career growth and no encouragement on behalf of the managers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many managers, lack of organization
Simple job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 June 2018
Overall, this was a simple job. I was tasked with evaluating and grading a multitude of course materials, including assignments and exams. The pay was decent.
A great place to train for biomedical research
PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 June 2018
A collaborative environment to pursue science. Great training opportunities. An ideal place to start biomedical research career. Opens many doors to pursue career for the future.
lots of work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2018
working one-on-one with a professor is a lot of responsibility. it is a good time, and you learn a lot, but it is a lot of work. i overall am grateful for the experience.
A very nice, organised place to work.
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 May 2018
I worked here for only three months so it is difficult for me to give a very accurate description of my responsibilities. I was an Office Aide and in that capacity, I managed an office in the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education. I love Health and Fitness so I really enjoyed working here. I learned how to archive files and where old files go to be digitized and/or shredded. Because it was summer, the workload was light. There was little pressure to meet deadlines and not many co-workers to interact with.
Pros
My own office.
Cons
Few co-workers to interact with.
Excellent workplace!
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 May 2018
Overall, a great place to work! Benefits are good and the working conditions support a work/life balance. Lots of opportunity to learn and evolve in a growing organization.