McGill University Employee Reviews

Great workplace, amazing people of different cultures!
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 August 2018
McGill University is a great place to work! However, in many departments there tends to be poor management. I had the good fortune of being part of several years of an excellent senior administration, but left at a time when that all changed when a new administration was mandated and began breaking down the wonderful dynamics created by their predecessors. It was sad to see how a workplace so positive, and unbroken, can change to become a more hostile and negative work place. Unfortunately it takes several years for the board to be aware of the unqualified people they've placed in charge of these units, and good employees leave before something is done to improve or eliminate these individuals. But I had several great years there, and I will always remember those.
Pros
Many to mention, but summer Fridays, less than 30-hour work week, decent salary and great benefits
Cons
Lots of politics and bureaucracy to manage
Management Issues
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 June 2018
There are a lot of issues due to too many managers. No one can make a decision and communication is difficult. Not a lot of opportunity for personal/career growth and no encouragement on behalf of the managers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many managers, lack of organization
Excellent workplace!
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 May 2018
Overall, a great place to work! Benefits are good and the working conditions support a work/life balance. Lots of opportunity to learn and evolve in a growing organization.
Organized and demanding job
Animal Attendant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 January 2019
A typical day starts at 7 am, where you start with a team of two or alone cleaning, changing cages, giving animal medication, filing reports. The co-workers are very nice and helpful. the hardest part of the job is the heavy equipment that you need to drag for cleaning and you have always to be conscious when you work with the animals.
Pros
two breaks (one at 10 for half an hour) (lunch break at 1 PM) or anytime suites the worker
Cons
you have to provide yourself with everything (tea, coffee)
Depends on the lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 February 2019
Fixing anything is painfully slow at McGill. Ordering chemicals is not very efficient. As a researcher hours can be long. But pay is going to be the same as if you did not work overtime.
Supportive work environment
Research Assistant to Professor Robert Lecker (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2018
I am a research assistant for professors in the English department. Most of my work consists in doing research for them. All of my bosses are very supportive and encouraging. They have adapted to my student schedule and understood when I had to take some time off for health reasons. They are always extremely positive and respectful of their assistants and give us work that is appealing and academically important for graduate students.
Pros
Flexible schedule
decent
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC10 February 2019
I enjoyed the work I did there. People are really nice and very smart and capable while being approachable. Would recommend working there for anyone that wants to learn and grow in our career.
Director, Administration (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2018
One of the best places to work in Canada! McGill has really strong benefits. There are ample opportunities to grow and advance in your career, as the range of departments is so wide.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance
Cons
Bureaucracy
Free and Flexible working
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 February 2019
The good thing about doing research at university is the freedom and flexibility that one can enjoy. And here you can also meet young talented researchers from all over the world and share our experience
McGill is a resourceful yet demanding university
PhD Researcher, Molecular & Translational Oncology (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 July 2018
As a PhD researcher , my day is mostly spent doing experiments at the lab, in addition to the courses required for the program completion. With proper planning, I was able to attend the various information sessions, workshops offered by student services or career planning services.
Pros
Reputations, Resources
Cons
Demanding research load
The job is good but salary is low and the contact is signed for year by year only (in my case).
Researcher associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 December 2017
There I work in many of interesting topics, working time is not important there, working environement is perfect. But in my case, the salary is not good (under 30000 without any benefits) and I have to renew my contacts every year, so I don’t know what will happen with me in the next year!
Productive with real support for family life
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 February 2019
I loved working here, unfortunately by the time I was leaving, there was no position that fit my qualifications.

My boss was amazing and I was not just mentored but inspired too.
Superb school
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 January 2019
McGill University is one of the finest research centers in North America and has superb faculty members, and state of the art equipment. They provided with me unlimited resources to learn, grow, and develop vast skills.
Good experience as a Grad student
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, CAN11 January 2019
As a grad student, I had to balance work and social life but it was not difficult because my supervisor was understanding and lenient. Employees were friendly and very supportive.
Productive and perfect
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 September 2018
It was perfect working with such outstanding and top university. I learnt many things which will definitely help me in my professional career in the future.
Great Experience
Security Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 October 2018
Great place to gain experience in security or any job in law enforcement. Friendly and productive team to work with. Although hours may be long and inconsistent at times.
Pros
Productive team.
Cons
Inconsistent hours.
Job where I felt the most respected as an intellectual being
Research Assistant (Alcohol Research) (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 December 2017
I appreciated everyone's praise and consideration of my intellect. I liked the flexible nature of the hours. I have no complaints. I have nothing more to say.
Pros
Awesome
Cons
Good job for graduate students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 November 2018
The work load is good enough to focus on your studies as well as earn some money. It can be a challenge sometimes to manage the professor as well as the students as their requests can be quite the opposite.
Organisme en mutation
Gestionnaire (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 October 2018
Beaucoup de défis mais des moyens limités pour les réaliser.
Gestion un peu sclérosée par la politique, la gouvernance et les procédures. Belle équilibre travail et vie personnelle.
Pros
Horaire flexible possible, horaire d'été a 4 jours.
Cons
Manque de vision et de leadership
Productive and competitive university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 November 2018
- Advanced theoretical learning experience
- High tech laboratories
- Friendly environment
- Advanced research capabilities
- Possibility of learning and researching multidisciplinary fields