McElhanney

McElhanney Employee Reviews

It is a good first introduction to consulting engineering. However, if you are not referred to the company and don't already have existing relations, the chances of you getting paid fairly are low. You won't get the same pay raises and benefits as your colleagues with the same or even less experience. That said, they are open to letting you explore new opportunities. Offices all over western Canada so you can live anywhere you can possibly think of.
Pros
Good work-life balance, Some really good co-workers and managers
Cons
Some useless managers and suck ups
Still would have been working with this company if it wasn't for Covid. The crews are great to work with! Especially the Calgary crew. Just make sure you work hard and you’ll get along with the crew just fine.
Pros
Good people and good pay.
Cons
Work/life balance, The job is not for you if your other half doesn't want you away for a looong time.
I had a lot of opportunity to learn and participate in a wide breadth of projects. The employees were very helpful and accommodating, and teamwork focused.
Some management will turn on you on any little mistake you make and it is little money for working in hard conditions. They send you to camp for at least a month then you get 1 week off and shipped off again. They are not a good company because they dont care if they have to get rid of you and hire someone new
Fast paced environment with professional, friendly engineers. Great support from the headquarter in Vancouver. Lack of administrative support at the Victoria office. Overall, great first working experience in Canada!
I enjoy working at McElhanney! Amazing people and amazing company! They definitely recognize each individual, take time to get to know everyone and make sure you feel like you are part of the team.
busy environment, smart people with lots of energy and ideas for constant improvement, lots of training opportunities provided even for non-technical staff
Worked as a cleaner in the evenings on a casual basis. Rarely interacted with anyone else, so I can't say much for the workplace culture, but I enjoyed working alone and keeping everything clean :)
This is the company I dream to work again with in any future time. For those who seeking company to work with, trust me it is a good company. I had worked there more than 10 years, a lot to remember for the work and people there.
If not for upper management in the IT department, it might have been an excellent job. Culture in the office was good - most people were very nice. However, when I started, I was told they wanted me to "Take ownership" of my department, but when I did it seemed that was not really what they wanted.
There is a range of management quality at McElhanney and your experience will depend greatly on that. I work in the Calgary branch which is failing pretty spectacularly. The new branch manager doesn't care about people and the division managers aren't motivated or able to secure work for employees. Between the poor decisions of various managers and the lack of work, good people are being let go and good people are leaving. I know employees in other branches do not have this experience and they are given opportunities to thrive in a great work culture with interesting work. If you're interested in McElhanney, I highly recommend SOME of our branches as you will have a rewarding and fulfilling career while meeting friends for life.
My manager whose niece worked with me told me on a Weds to come do overtime on a Sun so his niece could make extra money. I had unbreakable family plans on the Sunday and declined. Oddly, there was plenty of time to do the work during day hours. The following Monday I was handed my walking papers and told I had the "wrong attitude". I was still on probation.
I worked at McElhanney in the field until this year. The management in the Edmonton office was beyond incompetent. There was no consistency with quality control and no one knew what was going on. The plans they would draw up were horrid with missing information everywhere. There was zero ambition by the office staff to go out and get work so office staff sit on their hands praying for work to come in. I heard they would send out company wide emails for "morale boosting" office parties, while the field staff actually "making" the money were never around. I was told a few years ago that the Office Manager decided to layoff the Canadian staff and continued to fly in American guys on a weekly basis. I had enough of this typical attitude and so I quit a few months ago. Work at this company if you like: - Incompetent leadership - Lack of accountability - Being the laughing stock of the industry By the way, the safety standards are ridiculous. Do you really need three office staff in safety? Roll bars on quads? Come on...
Pros
Descent pay
Cons
Incompetent leadership; lack of focus
I worked for McElhanney as a student. They expect you to dedicate your life to this industry but it just wasn't for me. As far as surveying companies go I think they're probably one of the best but they didn't seem to be that efficiently managed to me.
Great colleagues but poor lower end management. No career advancement whatsoever, no training, lower salaries. You will be laid off at any moment even with a decent amount of workload available, by unaccountable, unscrupulous lower end managers willing to get a bigger bonus at the end of the fiscal year on your shoulders.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
Lower end managers. Lack of advancement opportunities.
Excellent work in a variety of disciplines. Each office fosters an enjoyable environment filled with a variety of professionals. The company is also well known to take in Co-Op students and continue working with many of them through their education and careers.
Great work Experience. Had a lot to learning various departments. I had a varied experience. Good work culture. People are really nice & friendly. Would love to work again
Was a great place to work. People in the office and field staff were great to get along with. The only reason I left was to raise my family and I wasn't ready to go back to work after maternity leave.
During my time with McElhanney I found the work to be challenging and rewarding. People within the environmental department go our of their way to ensure you have what you need and are enjoying your time. A great company!
Overall great place to work, well natured and common sense people, good management structure, and caring company. Management is forward thinking and in the process of putting processes and tools in place for managers and project managers - one thing I would say is currently lacking.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Need more infrastructure for managers
McElhanney is a small Engineering firm that is growing. It is a great place to work, where everyone is treated like family. Management overall is good but there are some departments that are lacking skilled managers, this is something that will work itself out as the company grows. Overall a wonderful place to work with great employees and the Company knows how to treat their staff right.
  1. Employee reviews