McElhanney Employee Reviews

Big Company, Poor Management at the Vancouver Office.
Mapper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 May 2019
Great colleagues but poor lower end management.
No career advancement whatsoever, no training, lower salaries.
You will be laid off at any moment even with a decent amount of workload available, by unaccountable, unscrupulous lower end managers willing to get a bigger bonus at the end of the fiscal year on your shoulders.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
Lower end managers. Lack of advancement opportunities.
Fun Workplace with interesting people and working opportunities
Engineer in Training - Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC21 February 2019
Great work Experience. Had a lot to learning various departments. I had a varied experience. Good work culture. People are really nice & friendly. Would love to work again
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 November 2018
Was a great place to work. People in the office and field staff were great to get along with. The only reason I left was to raise my family and I wasn't ready to go back to work after maternity leave.
Great people that provide a challenging and rewarding environment
BIOLOGIST/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 November 2018
During my time with McElhanney I found the work to be challenging and rewarding. People within the environmental department go our of their way to ensure you have what you need and are enjoying your time. A great company!
Good company, good people, good CEO
Senior Environmental Geoscientist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2018
Overall great place to work, well natured and common sense people, good management structure, and caring company. Management is forward thinking and in the process of putting processes and tools in place for managers and project managers - one thing I would say is currently lacking.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Need more infrastructure for managers
Family Oriented Business
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 September 2018
McElhanney is a small Engineering firm that is growing. It is a great place to work, where everyone is treated like family. Management overall is good but there are some departments that are lacking skilled managers, this is something that will work itself out as the company grows. Overall a wonderful place to work with great employees and the Company knows how to treat their staff right.
Enjoyable work environment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC4 June 2018
I’ve had nothing but great experiences working with McElhanney. Everyone is kind, generous and easy to get along with!
The management is exceptional in the Courtenay office, and the managers are very understanding. Family comes first in this office - great if something needs to be dealt with right away.
Joking and laughing is always happening which makes it a light and fun working environment.
You’re given credit for the work you’ve done and accomplished. It makes you feel appreciated and more encouraged to complete more tasks etc.
Pros
Friendly staff, fun lunches, staff/family activities
Cons
Great company with committed management and employees
Legal Counsel (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 March 2018
Great company with great employees. Very productive and collegial workplace. Management really shows they care about the employees. Great social activities for all.
A good place to work. Room for advancement and professional development opportunities
Branch Administrator (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC28 January 2018
Very fast-paced environment with many opportunities for professional development and advancement. senior employees are willing to teach and train new/junior employees.
Community based company who believes in community support and education.
Pros
staff activities
Productive and enjoyable
Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 December 2017
I did an internship at McElhanney Land Surveys.
Everyone I worked with was professional and nice.
I would recommend any student interested in the GIS/land survey field to do an internship here.
Overall: Pleasant people to work alongside.
Safety Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2017
When i was employed with McElhanney Land Surveys Ltd., the atmosphere was like a family. Everyone was more than willing to assist with obligations to strive for excellence in any given project. Only due to the economy was I no longer able to stay with the company. I hope all the best for my counterparts who still remain with McElhanney as I still do my best to stay connected with sincere professionals.
Pros
Family atmosphere in a corporate environment, always new learning curves and adventures
Cons
Company has to downsize with the fluctuation of the economy.
An exciting place to work
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2017
McElhanney offers a fast pace work environment that may include, hiking, quading, flagging, block valve sites, as built survey as well as post construction survey.
salary was above average
Senior Survey Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
... Large company but management was friendly & approachable with problems
... Health benefits were excellent
... Extra work hours were there if the worker wanted this
... Equipment was generally of good quality
... Trucks were generally no older than 3 years & well maintained
Pros
friendly work place; good fellow workers
Cons
lots of travelling
Was promise working for this company...unfortunately is effected frequently by economy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
Working with this company gave me new learning curves continually and was always looking forward to the new challenges when they arouse. Each and every day was not the same. No matter what department you were needed in for administration, I found people were always willing to help you learn and to advance. Everyone helps, no one was left behind. Unless you didn't want to contribute or learn, you could notice those who did not enjoy working there. I was not one of them. Management could always use better methods of communications internally to better attend to the needs of clients and scheduling however, even though I am no longer with the company due to economic reasons, I have hope that they will progress with open minds.
Pros
Potluck lunches were always nice.
Cons
lack of internal communication
Relaxed, education Workplace
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC10 April 2017
The atmosphere was very relaxed, my colleagues were understanding and generous. When a problem arose, no one hesitated to find a solution as soon as possible. Management was kind, and jokes and humour were encouraged.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
hot weather
Not the most ideal company to work for sometimes
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB16 January 2017
What I liked:
Most co-workers were enjoyable to work with and professional.
Some interesting projects came through the door and were fun to design and manage.
Field work was interesting and enjoyable as it was in the mountains.

What I did not like:
I was paid well below APEGA standards while living in an area that has one of the highest costs of living in Canada.
Mentorship was not taken seriously by the company.
Management was not interested in passing on knowledge nor interested in developing the skills of the engineers and technologists beyond a basic project management skillset.
Quality Assurance was not taken seriously therefore mistakes were carried through work unnecessarily.
Individuals are blamed for mistakes and systemic problems in the peer-review process and QA were never seriously addressed or discussed in any meaningful way.
Some individuals are treated as more equal than others.
Although there are limits to what management can do to make their employees happy and motivated, no one in management seemed to be concerned about improving the moral of any individual beyond a superficial level. "You need more work in your work-life balance" was told verbatim to a co-worker of mine.
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2016
Great opportunities for advancement. Excellent support from the office. Opportunities for education. Poor life and work balance, although they were fairly good with allowing time off when needed.
Good people, less than perfect work culture.
GIS Specialist/Surveyor/Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2016
They have many excellent employees, but they also have many people who are only there for a paycheck. If you're in the office everyday is data entry or drafting, while if you are in the field, then your days can vary widely depending on what kind of surveying you perform.
Pros
Good people, sense of community.
Cons
Lower wages, short sighted management.
Enjoyable place to work and learn new skills
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2016
I met many great coworkers and had a great time while on the job. My placement allowed a good work shift with time off, which I really appreciated in order to balance my life.
good company
SURVEY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 April 2016
good company to work for good pay hard work learnt a lot good boss good co workers they put you through what ever training is needed and schoolling