McElhanney

McElhanney Employee Reviews

Canada48 reviews
Amazing Place to work
I enjoy working at McElhanney! Amazing people and amazing company! They definitely recognize each individual, take time to get to know everyone and make sure you feel like you are part of the team.
Lots of energy and ideas
busy environment, smart people with lots of energy and ideas for constant improvement, lots of training opportunities provided even for non-technical staff
A casual cleaner's review
Worked as a cleaner in the evenings on a casual basis. Rarely interacted with anyone else, so I can't say much for the workplace culture, but I enjoyed working alone and keeping everything clean :)
Good company to work with.
This is the company I dream to work again with in any future time. For those who seeking company to work with, trust me it is a good company.
I had worked there more than 10 years, a lot to remember for the work and people there.
Decent place to work
If not for upper management in the IT department, it might have been an excellent job. Culture in the office was good - most people were very nice. However, when I started, I was told they wanted me to "Take ownership" of my department, but when I did it seemed that was not really what they wanted.
Experience varies wildly by office
There is a range of management quality at McElhanney and your experience will depend greatly on that. I work in the Calgary branch which is failing pretty spectacularly. The new branch manager doesn't care about people and the division managers aren't motivated or able to secure work for employees. Between the poor decisions of various managers and the lack of work, good people are being let go and good people are leaving. I know employees in other branches do not have this experience and they are given opportunities to thrive in a great work culture with interesting work. If you're interested in McElhanney, I highly recommend SOME of our branches as you will have a rewarding and fulfilling career while meeting friends for life.
Nepotism Cost Me My Job
My manager whose niece worked with me told me on a Weds to come do overtime on a Sun so his niece could make extra money. I had unbreakable family plans on the Sunday and declined. Oddly, there was plenty of time to do the work during day hours. The following Monday I was handed my walking papers and told I had the "wrong attitude". I was still on probation.
Incompetent Management
I worked at McElhanney in the field until this year. The management in the Edmonton office was beyond incompetent. There was no consistency with quality control and no one knew what was going on. The plans they would draw up were horrid with missing information everywhere. There was zero ambition by the office staff to go out and get work so office staff sit on their hands praying for work to come in. I heard they would send out company wide emails for "morale boosting" office parties, while the field staff actually "making" the money were never around. I was told a few years ago that the Office Manager decided to layoff the Canadian staff and continued to fly in American guys on a weekly basis. I had enough of this typical attitude and so I quit a few months ago. Work at this company if you like:

- Incompetent leadership

- Lack of accountability

- Being the laughing stock of the industry

By the way, the safety standards are ridiculous. Do you really need three office staff in safety? Roll bars on quads? Come on...
Pros
Descent pay
Cons
Incompetent leadership; lack of focus
It was okay
I worked for McElhanney as a student. They expect you to dedicate your life to this industry but it just wasn't for me. As far as surveying companies go I think they're probably one of the best but they didn't seem to be that efficiently managed to me.
Big Company, Poor Management at the Vancouver Office.
Great colleagues but poor lower end management.
No career advancement whatsoever, no training, lower salaries.

You will be laid off at any moment even with a decent amount of workload available, by unaccountable, unscrupulous lower end managers willing to get a bigger bonus at the end of the fiscal year on your shoulders.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
Lower end managers. Lack of advancement opportunities.
Reputable company
Excellent work in a variety of disciplines. Each office fosters an enjoyable environment filled with a variety of professionals. The company is also well known to take in Co-Op students and continue working with many of them through their education and careers.
Fun Workplace with interesting people and working opportunities
Great work Experience. Had a lot to learning various departments. I had a varied experience. Good work culture. People are really nice & friendly. Would love to work again
Was a great place to work. People in the office and field staff were great to get along with. The only reason I left was to raise my family and I wasn't ready to go back to work after maternity leave.
Great people that provide a challenging and rewarding environment
During my time with McElhanney I found the work to be challenging and rewarding. People within the environmental department go our of their way to ensure you have what you need and are enjoying your time. A great company!
Good company, good people, good CEO
Overall great place to work, well natured and common sense people, good management structure, and caring company. Management is forward thinking and in the process of putting processes and tools in place for managers and project managers - one thing I would say is currently lacking.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Need more infrastructure for managers
Family Oriented Business
McElhanney is a small Engineering firm that is growing. It is a great place to work, where everyone is treated like family. Management overall is good but there are some departments that are lacking skilled managers, this is something that will work itself out as the company grows. Overall a wonderful place to work with great employees and the Company knows how to treat their staff right.
Enjoyable work environment
I’ve had nothing but great experiences working with McElhanney. Everyone is kind, generous and easy to get along with!
The management is exceptional in the Courtenay office, and the managers are very understanding. Family comes first in this office - great if something needs to be dealt with right away.

Joking and laughing is always happening which makes it a light and fun working environment.

You’re given credit for the work you’ve done and accomplished. It makes you feel appreciated and more encouraged to complete more tasks etc.
Pros
Friendly staff, fun lunches, staff/family activities
Cons
Great company with committed management and employees
Great company with great employees. Very productive and collegial workplace. Management really shows they care about the employees. Great social activities for all.
A good place to work. Room for advancement and professional development opportunities
Very fast-paced environment with many opportunities for professional development and advancement. senior employees are willing to teach and train new/junior employees.
Community based company who believes in community support and education.
Pros
staff activities
Productive and enjoyable
I did an internship at McElhanney Land Surveys.
Everyone I worked with was professional and nice.

I would recommend any student interested in the GIS/land survey field to do an internship here.
Overall: Pleasant people to work alongside.
When i was employed with McElhanney Land Surveys Ltd., the atmosphere was like a family. Everyone was more than willing to assist with obligations to strive for excellence in any given project. Only due to the economy was I no longer able to stay with the company. I hope all the best for my counterparts who still remain with McElhanney as I still do my best to stay connected with sincere professionals.
Pros
Family atmosphere in a corporate environment, always new learning curves and adventures
Cons
Company has to downsize with the fluctuation of the economy.