McElhanney

Working at McElhanney: Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews

officestaffmanagercompanylotgoodemployeemanagement

Great place, great people

Good place to build a career. Friendly environment with talented individuals who care about the company and quality of work that teams deliver. Work-life balance is great.

Good company, good benefits. Extremely unorganized.

Good company. Very unorganized management. Zero care for work life balance. You don't know when you'll be needed next, or where you'll be needed. Extensive company training is all BS. They don't follow any of their own core beliefs.

Insights into McElhanney

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Decent place to work at

An alright place to work. Lots of out of town work and lots of time spent in camp but got to see a lot of cool locations. Good job if you like being in the outdoors.

Some nice staff, others were very hypocritical and made the job awful!

Good pay, not so good management. Branch manager was not helpful with much. No reviews done in 11 months so you never knew if there was anything good or bad to say

Pros

Pay

Cons

Terrible management

Good Benefits, Poor management

I worked here for a while and did not enjoy really enjoy my experience. The work culture to start felt like a very well knit group. Going for a beer together at the end of a hard day, management taking staff out for lunch, etc. However, as the time passed, the real company culture began to be apparent. The expectations of being there exactly from 8am, until 5 (or later) regardless of your personal life. Too much micromanagement, and too little design staff support. Management leaving early often for personal hobbies, and stressing the need to trust, but not showing trustworthiness to employees. Berating of all staff in front of peers during coordination meetings, and complete disregard for client deadlines. Heavy use of fear tactics as a management style created an unpleasant experience for all.

Pros

Benefits plan

Cons

Work life balance is not respected

Good learning experience but favoritism in pay and benefits

It is a good first introduction to consulting engineering. However, if you are not referred to the company and don't already have existing relations, the chances of you getting paid fairly are low. You won't get the same pay raises and benefits as your colleagues with the same or even less experience. That said, they are open to letting you explore new opportunities. Offices all over western Canada so you can live anywhere you can possibly think of.

Pros

Good work-life balance, Some really good co-workers and managers

Cons

Some useless managers and suck ups

Nice people to work with!

Still would have been working with this company if it wasn't for Covid. The crews are great to work with! Especially the Calgary crew. Just make sure you work hard and you’ll get along with the crew just fine.

Pros

Good people and good pay.

Cons

Work/life balance, The job is not for you if your other half doesn't want you away for a looong time.

Great place to do an internship

I had a lot of opportunity to learn and participate in a wide breadth of projects. The employees were very helpful and accommodating, and teamwork focused.

If you like a terrible work environment heres the place for you

Some management will turn on you on any little mistake you make and it is little money for working in hard conditions. They send you to camp for at least a month then you get 1 week off and shipped off again. They are not a good company because they dont care if they have to get rid of you and hire someone new

Fast paced environment with professional, friendly engineers

Fast paced environment with professional, friendly engineers. Great support from the headquarter in Vancouver. Lack of administrative support at the Victoria office. Overall, great first working experience in Canada!

Amazing Place to work

I enjoy working at McElhanney! Amazing people and amazing company! They definitely recognize each individual, take time to get to know everyone and make sure you feel like you are part of the team.

Lots of energy and ideas

busy environment, smart people with lots of energy and ideas for constant improvement, lots of training opportunities provided even for non-technical staff

A casual cleaner's review

Worked as a cleaner in the evenings on a casual basis. Rarely interacted with anyone else, so I can't say much for the workplace culture, but I enjoyed working alone and keeping everything clean :)

Good company to work with.

This is the company I dream to work again with in any future time. For those who seeking company to work with, trust me it is a good company. I had worked there more than 10 years, a lot to remember for the work and people there.

Decent place to work

If not for upper management in the IT department, it might have been an excellent job. Culture in the office was good - most people were very nice. However, when I started, I was told they wanted me to "Take ownership" of my department, but when I did it seemed that was not really what they wanted.

Experience varies wildly by office

There is a range of management quality at McElhanney and your experience will depend greatly on that. I work in the Calgary branch which is failing pretty spectacularly. The new branch manager doesn't care about people and the division managers aren't motivated or able to secure work for employees. Between the poor decisions of various managers and the lack of work, good people are being let go and good people are leaving. I know employees in other branches do not have this experience and they are given opportunities to thrive in a great work culture with interesting work. If you're interested in McElhanney, I highly recommend SOME of our branches as you will have a rewarding and fulfilling career while meeting friends for life.

Nepotism Cost Me My Job

My manager whose niece worked with me told me on a Weds to come do overtime on a Sun so his niece could make extra money. I had unbreakable family plans on the Sunday and declined. Oddly, there was plenty of time to do the work during day hours. The following Monday I was handed my walking papers and told I had the "wrong attitude". I was still on probation.

Incompetent Management

I worked at McElhanney in the field until this year. The management in the Edmonton office was beyond incompetent. There was no consistency with quality control and no one knew what was going on. The plans they would draw up were horrid with missing information everywhere. There was zero ambition by the office staff to go out and get work so office staff sit on their hands praying for work to come in. I heard they would send out company wide emails for "morale boosting" office parties, while the field staff actually "making" the money were never around. I was told a few years ago that the Office Manager decided to layoff the Canadian staff and continued to fly in American guys on a weekly basis. I had enough of this typical attitude and so I quit a few months ago. Work at this company if you like: - Incompetent leadership - Lack of accountability - Being the laughing stock of the industry By the way, the safety standards are ridiculous. Do you really need three office staff in safety? Roll bars on quads? Come on...

Pros

Descent pay

Cons

Incompetent leadership; lack of focus

It was okay

I worked for McElhanney as a student. They expect you to dedicate your life to this industry but it just wasn't for me. As far as surveying companies go I think they're probably one of the best but they didn't seem to be that efficiently managed to me.

Big Company, Poor Management at the Vancouver Office.

Great colleagues but poor lower end management. No career advancement whatsoever, no training, lower salaries. You will be laid off at any moment even with a decent amount of workload available, by unaccountable, unscrupulous lower end managers willing to get a bigger bonus at the end of the fiscal year on your shoulders.

Pros

Great staff.

Cons

Lower end managers. Lack of advancement opportunities.

Reputable company

Excellent work in a variety of disciplines. Each office fosters an enjoyable environment filled with a variety of professionals. The company is also well known to take in Co-Op students and continue working with many of them through their education and careers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McElhanney. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement