McDougall Energy Employee Reviews

Featured review
McDougall Energy selected this as a representative review
Fun workplace, energetic, it is what you make it.
Office Worker (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON14 May 2019
Great company with a great vision for growth in the future. It truly is a well managed company in the sense that decisions are well thought out and in the best interest of sustainability and growth.
Pros
Good benefits, reasonable working hours, great people working here.
Cons
None at this time
Worst place I ever worked
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON5 May 2019
Terrible place to work, Owen Sound Office. your monitored 24/7. Watched every minute of ever day, question you on your driving, why you were Idling too long, turned the corner too fast, brake too hard, they know how many times you get in and out of the truck, if your wearing your seatbelt.drive too fast. Manager sits and watches the drivers on his phone. You have to answer to everything. Manager sends in a report to head office every 15 minutes on each driver. Stressful, not allowed to talk to fellow employees. Have to sit in truck to do paperwork
Pros
Supply your uniform
Cons
Terrible management
Energetic work force; lots of "me second, team first" mentality.
sales (Current Employee) –  Ontario14 April 2019
Senior management, including President heavily invested and interested at all levels of work. All Managers are good listeners and really seem to care about the well-being of the staff. Lots of little subtle benefits that mean a lot for morale, like birthdays off, Christmas gift cards, bonus lunches & pats on the back.. Nothing seems to go unnoticed.
Pros
High energy workforce
Cons
workload peaks & valleys depending on season
Fun & Fast Paced Workpalce
Office (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON9 April 2019
McDougall Energy is truly a family oriented company. Each and every day, the employees of MEI live by the Comapny's Core Values and it shows in the work that is being done.
Pros
Birthday's Off, Great Vacation Program, Work/Life Balance, Family Oriented
Don't even think about it
AZ Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON19 March 2019
As an experienced AZ truck driver of 23 years, I can honestly say that this is the worst job I have ever had in trucking. I knew I made a mistake working for McDougall almost immediately. Old rundown equipment. No maintenance at all. Getting something repaired is like pulling teeth. Company will not follow any rules or regulations. They demand that you break the law every single day, multiple times a day. Government rules and regulations don't apply to these people. My employment came to an end after I refused to overload my trailer with fuel every day. Even after the MTO put it in writing what my maximum gross weight should be, they wanted more! Equipment is all junk, old and unsafe. The whole fleet could be put out of service. Company is only interested in keep profits and not maintaining and growing the business. Don't even apply here!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Junk equipment. Not even roadworthy!!!
Great People to work with
Customer Service/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2019
Great people to work with, fun team. Owners of the company are wonderful and treat you like family.

Great experience and learned a lot from working there.
From my past employment, this is a terrible place to work.
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON24 January 2019
Very unorganized and you wonder how this site in Sudbury even operates. Poor customer service provided - it seems to always be about a week or 2 behind on their deliveries. I feel sorry for the truck drivers who are working 6 or 7 days a week. Absolutely no training for their complicated in-house computer software program. Huge workload and expectations of you, for minimum pay. Very poor management, and the boss talks behind everyone's back. Which leads to a toxic work environment, no staff morale, and high staff turn-over rates. I'm one of 3 to 5 people who left in 1 year. STAY AWAY! Especially if you value your physical and mental well-being, a positive work environment and positive FUTURE with this Sudbury location.
Pros
Birthday off with pay
Cons
Very unorganized, poor management, huge workload for the pay that you receive, high staff turn-over rates, no training, and no staff morale.
Stay away
Administration (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON6 December 2018
This is one of Canada’s Worst Managed Companies!!! This I learned the hard way. You are just a number, they don’t care about there employees, or value them at all no matter what the situation is. Sad really, but they rather have inappropriate people running the place then having loyal,hard working employees. They don’t stand behind you or protect you in any way. They pay you the bare minimum, but keep piling on the work and leave you to drown. Your expected to use your personal vehicle to do work related errands but never get reimbursed your mileage.

I could go on and on.....but my advice STAY AWAY!!
Don’t learn the hard way like I did
Pros
Birthday off with pay
Cons
To many to mention
Dont do it!
Just a number i guess (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON15 November 2018
Working for Mcdougall is a joke, high turn over rate. Truck drivers are treated like trash management has no idea how to run the hub. He listens to his little pets and makes decisions based on favorites. If your a hard worker you get knocked down and treated like the peice of garbage. You will most likley be talked about behind your back. Not that you would ever know.. Every refrence given from this place has been derogatory i have witnessed multiple times of someone calling for a refrence and being slandered. Health and safety is non existant. You are forced to wear a hard hat and safety glasses but you are allowed to smoke cigarettes in the shop? Seems legit seeing as they sell petrol based products.. Human resources doesnt seem to mind all the complaints seeing as i am still waiting for a responce for issues about this spescific hub. If you work here have the labour board and worksafe on speed dial! There is no chance for advancement or raises and if you do manage get a raise it is a slap in the face. I feel bad for the employees that have to deal with the trio of trash that has controll of this place. The hours are rediculas they have such a tight grasp to keep their bonuses that they will send you home early. If you work late you start late. Absolutley no more than 40 hours per week. They keep the drivers under 44 hours they avoid overtime like the plague. Asking for new equiptment is like pulling teeth. If you have a suggestion to improve they laugh at you and call you stupid. Constantly being told you're just a number some else can replace you for cheaper. Manager has  more... a temper and comes into work reaking of booze. Be warned if you work here all of the above will happen.  less
Pros
Paid birthday
Cons
Poor managment, bad work atmosphere, no payscale to go up, no chance of advancement.
If looking for employment...stay away from this company
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  ONTARIO6 November 2018
McDougall Energy is the WORST company I have ever worked for.
They certainly DO NOT practice what that preach, such as core values and integrity!!! They have been accredited as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies but they are far from that. They can make themselves look like that on paper to get awarded the title but in reality they are probably one of Canada’s Worst Managed Companies!!! When hired they welcome you and you feel as a big part of Their FAMILY, you leave after the 1st day feeling as tho you just landed the perfect job. You soon find out that this is not the case. They DO NOT value their employee’s or their employees points of view. If you have an issue or problem they tell you what you want to hear but the problem is never solved which is very frustrating. They constantly push more and more work at you but your pay Never Never increases. They preach company growth but there isn’t any of that either. As time goes on you will soon feel as tho you are a Monkey in a Gong Show. I could go on and on but I’ll stop here with one final bit of advice....Terrible Company....STAY AWAY!!!!!!!
Pros
Only 1 pro....you get your birthday off with pay
Cons
Too many to mention
Kind of good , i guess
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2018
Lots of hours in the winter months, home heat.
Work hours will be low in the summer months.
Driver. ...............................................
Pros
Winter, lots of hours
Cons
Summer, hours are low
Family oriented business, great leadership in management, kept employees in the loop and made to feel like your were a great asset to their company
Dispatcher/Inventory Controller/Administration (Former Employee) –  Little Current, ON22 June 2016
Worked as a team on many projects. Everyone would get involved in sales, customer service. Customers always were comfortable in our office management would make them feel like family. I worked well with co-workers assisting them in achieving their goals, ie; sales team, kept them informed of all walk in sales calls and service calls, acting on follow up calls and leads to ensure customer satisfaction was achieved and if not, acting on the needs and wants of the customer. adjusting scheduling to accommodate everyone, early attendance or staying late to ensure organization was achieved for our customers.

The most enjoyable part of my job was trouble-shooting with my manager on coordinating for installations to meet customers needs and wants.
Pros
The welcoming feeling going to work everyday. Felt like family and good friends.
Cons
harsh winter months
Stay away
Fuel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Gta13 May 2016
Treats its drivers like children, and trust is non existent. No pay scale to climb, and are very shady with how they manage hours. Management is a gong show.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Everything you can think of
poor managed company
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON24 April 2016
i would rather keep my thoughts on this one.
I do not like to talk bad about anyone.
most poor managed company

Pros
good wadge
Cons
to many to list
Have made some great friends and is a very pleasurable atmosphere to work
Truck Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON12 October 2015
Hauling fuel and wood products through out Ontario ,dealing with many different types of people and working in extreme weather conditions ,mostly working independently.
Pros
learning new driving and hauling techniques
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McDougall Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7