McCormick & Company

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

USED to be a great place to work

This used to be a fabulous place to work until new managers across the board were hired - they are horrendous, the lot. The workload level is way too much and people work long into the evenings - it is a shame, this was a fantastic place at one time.

Stressful environment

Stressful, toxic environment.Under appreciated Some good people work here but inept management doesn't make up for that. Free lunches are good.Umm

Shameful hiring practices

McCormick and Company spend minimum time looking at job applications, disqualifying people that have all the experience they are looking for with no interview and then reposting the same job for over a month. Maybe you need to LOOK at applications you receive before you decide there is no qualified person.

Can be tiring at times but fun

Good people to work with. Just do your job well and be nice to people also. Have the initiative to do your task everyday and youll be good. Hard at first but youll have fun as days go by.

Pros

Free coffee, teas and condiments.

Cons

Some HR systems not automated

Good pay, but promises of full time are empty

Worked there 10 months, pay is competitive but a promise of full-time work is a blatant misrepresentation. If you need a good paying short term job, it is suitable.

Fantastic place with good working culture.

Great company to work for. You have variety of shifts to pick from and it is a straight shift. The night Leads/Supervisors are fantastic guys always willing to help, very humble and very respectful to everyone.Neat environment and that's because everyone is always willing to get involved in continuous cleaning.

Pros

Free coffee, Straight shifts with overtime sometimes if interested.

Cons

can take a while to convert to permanent. That's because there are so many people inline.

McFlex "opportunity"

I was hired on as a McFlex in June. They hired us along with some placement people from overseas(cheaper labour). The idea was long term employment. After all the tenured workers finished their vacations in late August you could see McCormick terminating the McFlex hopefuls 1 by 1. Completely disingenuous hiring process. If I knew I was just going to cover vacations for a couple months I wouldn't have signed on.Because of my efforts, our line made our targets 4-5 days a week. From what tenured workers told me this never happened before my hiring. The supervisors are fearful of entry level employees taking their jobs. If you are a natural leader, you won't last long as per their drama.They use an "honour system" for punch in/out. They said they were firing me because I was late every day. With an "honour system" there was no way for me to prove otherwise, ironically. I was early every day because I wanted to meet people. Never late. They just didn't need vacation coverage any longer. They kept all the foreign cheap labour placement workers.

Pros

made good friends

Cons

Low atmosphere/morale. It looked and felt like I imagine jail to be.

Productive, safe

I had a absolutely amazing time working there. Everyone was outgoing, helpful. Just a overall great job. I was in the sanitation department. 1000% would recommend

Pros

In-store discount, pays great

Cons

Alot of cleaning after each batch of ingredients

Family oriented

Just worked there for less than a year on contract and it was just an amazing experience. Everyone is so friendly and welcome you in on day one. Your department is like a family.

very toxic environment , mentally and environmentally

I worked as a mcflex employee for a year and a couple months, extremely dirty environment with no focus on food safety, hygiene practices are not enforced. I question if the product that comes from this factory are safe for human consumption because of their sanitation. Management are very errogant and I was told that there was plenty of opportunity to become full time and to keep applying for jobs, but finally when I asked why I kept being denied for postings I was told there was no opportunities for me. I have 18 years experience in the food processing industry and knew how to run and take apart almost every piece of equipment there but there was "NO OPPORTUNITY" even though I did everything asked of me and tried to stay posotive. Most employees act as though they are better than every one else, very toxic work environment unless you are a man, I know this because I was in a focus group about how the women get treated in their environments, and let me tell you none of us had good things to say,

Pros

work and home balance is good

Cons

management is toxic

Excellent service and great service.. Honestly and loyalty. Dedicated and responsible. Respectful to your residents and co worker. Good morals characters. Hard working and always available to give them hands.. Helping each other’s in times of works to be done easy and promptly.. Reporting all the problems mostly health safe of the residents..

Stinky dirty bacteria ridden mixing department

Mixing department (feeds entire warehouse) is dirty. Sub-par cleaning and employees who don’t practice proper hygiene. Water is left sitting on the floor with is a bacteria breeding ground. Most washes are done with water alone. Gross build up of ingredients in close proximity to grates where ingredients are added. Bags of spice covered in dust are cut open and dumped into mixes. Whoever eats this product is eating warehouse dust and probably salmonella.

I loved working for them pas a temp and when I went for my interview I should have touched up on my math skills before hand

I got stuck on a question and was never able to finish . Tho I did quite well in the work place I fit in and stayed together at the same pace and counted how many rows were needed and bottles and such . I really enjoyed the work attitude of team and positivity. I felt accomplished at the end of the day . And I felt like the bosses and company treated us well . And in a way I felt included even thou I was on a different contract

Terrible management with great skill at belittling

McCormick is in theory a great place to work but the amount of I don’t care and not my job with little to no help or direction from the management team is concerning. It is a very misogynistic and dayshift oriented company, nobody else matters. The salaries there don’t outweigh what you have to mentally endure on a day to day basis. If McCormick decided to listen to their employees and start to care it could be a great place but they have retrospectively lost their core values.

Lovely place

McCormick is a very nice factory to work in, I was a summer student there and the three months I was there was wonderful I was mostly on the glass line and I hand packed certain spices by hand.

Merchandising Position can be Challenging to get Space

All about Distribution and getting Points of Interruption. Must Enjoy Driving. There is a lot of Sales Reps in the Marketplace so be prepared for Some rejection. Position does take a while to gel, and there are lots of details to keep up with and maintain in banners

Terrible company to work for

Worst company I’ve worked for, terrible manager, discrimination, no induction plan, bad atmosphere, no ethics and the safety is not their priority. Don’t know how to run a food company

Productive workplace with lots of extracurricular activity

It was a pleasure working in McCormick Canada. Real second home , Team work, Management is very cooperative and listen to all your concerns. In my IT career, this is the best job.

Pros

Free Coffee and Tea

Cons

No job Security due to lots of changes on global level

Still a decent place to work

Despite all the structural / management changes in recent years McCormick is still a decent place to work and build career. Hopefully top management recognize the power of people in it's true spirit and keep the company on a steady, stable course for a long term success.

Physically demanding work but rewarding.

Rewards self-motivated, efficient people who can work in a team environment. Lots of overtime and possible advancement for such individuals. It's honest factory work and worth pursuing if that's what you are looking for, and a friendly family work culture.

Good work atmosphere

A typical day starts with packing the items at the end of the line, dumping bottles to the line and monitoring the quality of finished goods, reporting to the supervisor if any defects were present.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McCormick & Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement