McCarthy Tétrault

McCarthy Tétrault Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Stressful environment with little training
Please see above. Manager didn't know what they were doing and was unprofessional. No training and expected to know everything. Wish I had never worked here.
Good place for Lawyers
Good place for Lawyers. Non-legal people might find it somewhat difficult to relate in the initial phase. Culture is good and people get time to sync in
Terrible place to work
I heard it used to be a great place, but it turned very sour. At the Document Services Group the management is terrible and you will be subject to mental and psychological stress especially in the Toronto office. They are controlling, manipulative and vicious. I do not recommend even to my worst enemy.
Used to be great - not anymore!
I would not recommend this firm now that it is headed out of the Toronto office (similar to Gowlings). There is a very large hierarchy gap between legal assistants and lawyers which causes poor morale. And a LOT of their lawyers are absolute SOB's - male AND female!
teamwork
fun place to work as part of a team. learned a lot but there is a completely different world for each department, s o the teamwork is only per department.
The co-workers are nice to work with.
It is a busy place to work with. The co-workers are very friendly and share the knowledge between each other. We are offered with different courses to improve our skills.
Assistant
This firm is not assistant friendly. The new work share set up giving 3-5 lawyers per assistant does not promote a work/life balance. Office politics and favourites are high in this firm.
unique
Mon stage a été une des plus belles expériences suite à mon DEC. Vraiment fait de belles rencontres et appris beaucoup sur le métier que j'étais pour faire grâce au personnel
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McCarthy Tétrault?
Good Company
- A good place to work, but workload varies heavily based on department.

- Skills are often gone unutilized, no opportunities for new learning or advancement. Never part-time.
Great people to work with, pretty fun place.
- Good law firm culture, good & reputable law firm.
- good work schedule

- good benefits

- not so great IT management (TOO much micro-management)

- hardest part of my job was that I was capable of doing much more but using almost none of my potential.
Pros
Free lunches on meeting days, good work schedule.
Cons
No chances of advancement in IT. Way too much micro-management. Too compartmentalized, .
professional rewarding corporate environment
McCarthy requires a lot from you as an employee however they ensure that you are well taken care of. The salary and benefits are impressive as well as the job perks. The culture is not as competitive or unfriendly as other law firms, and everyone there is very nice. If you are willing to put in the work then you will enjoy it very much.
Good firm
High quality firm, with a lot of lovely people. Central to the city. All the resources you would expect at a top-tier firm. Significantly better culture of openness and work-life balance, than in most New York firms (for example), and a standard bearer for Canada.
Large law firm that is one of the top 100 employers. Energetic and fun environment and a class that leads in technology and innovation. Great place to work.
Large Legal Service Company
The company is large and it is a bit difficult to know your coworkers. Job is divided into very specific area. There is a department for billing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, marketing, IT etc.
Long-term service employees are abundant at McTet
McTet was very good to me over the 33 years of employment. My Manager was helpful and compassionate, and the firm overall was a great place to work. Training was provided for many new procedures, computer software.
Pros
Training provided for new procedures, computer software.
Cons
A 3 1/2 commute on a good day!
Excellent training
McCarthy Tétrault is an excellent place to begin (or continue) a legal career. The training was top-notch, and the quality of the instruction I received from the associates and partners I received was uniformly excellent. It is a respectful, if demanding workplace, and I recommend it highly.
Law Firm
People are good to work with and most lawyers are very friendly and nice to all the admin staff. Hardest part of the job was at times meeting deadlines when two to three lawyers want things done at the same time but enjoyed it
productive and fun
Great Company to work with, people are friendly workplace is comfortable. I would recommend this company to anyone needing a job.
• Legal Assistant with extensive Municipal Group (Real Property Planning) experience with a leading
• responsible for administrative, secretarial duties
• organizing and maintaining efficient filing systems

• coordinating and scheduling meetings,

• maintaining lawyer’s calendar

• maintaining lawyer’s contacts databases

• maintaining a bring forward system

• answering the telephone, directing telephone inquiries.

• opening and closing files
Pros
Treat assisants well on Adminisrative month.
Cons
Regular working hours with overtime as needed
Environnement productif et agréable.
Un endroit très agréable pour apprendre et très gratifiant. Les gens sont gentils et compréhensifs. On rencontre beaucoup de gens importants qui nous aident à grimper les échelons. Beaucoup de modèles de gens d'affaires.
Le travail était diversifié et passionnant.
Une journée de travail typique consistait à prendre des demandes de production de document à tour de rôle sur une plate-forme nationale. Les demandes variaient de la simple transcription de documents bilingues à la conversion et la mise en page de documents PDF complexes en format Word et l'inverse. Je devais aussi produire des tableaux Word complexes, des chiffriers Excel et des présentations Powerpoint.

Les demandes provenaient de tous les bureaux de McCarthy (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto et Québec). Les documents étaient majoritairement requis à l'intérieur de délais très serrés.

Mes tâches incluaient de répondre au appels de soutien bureautique (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Adobe etc...) pour tous les usagers.

J'appréciais particulièrement le travail diversifié et rempli de défis.
Pros
L'avancement
Cons
Manque de personnel - Surcharge de travail
Ask a question about working or interviewing at McCarthy Tétrault. Our community is ready to answer.