McBride Career Group Employee Reviews

Worker (Current Employee) –  High River, AB15 August 2018
Great staff and work done for the community
Experience Counts Career Coach/Facilitator (Current Employee) –  High River, AB11 June 2018
As a present employee of MCG (McBride Career Group), I enjoy my job each and every day. My boss and colleagues offer support, guidance, encouragement and fun each day. The staff is here to support and help people plan their careers and find meaningful employment in the industry and location they want. Our work is meaningful to us since it affects people's lives. People feel at ease speaking with us and helping them with various things they are going through since we can assist them or refer them to other local community supports that they might need. I truly enjoy my work and have had many opportunities to advance and learn.
Pros
Staff, snacks all the time, helping local people, friendly, helpful, devoted.
Cons
N/a
Highly dedicated team and supportive management
Coordinator/Career Coach (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, High River & surrounding area8 June 2018
MCG consists of dedicated team members that always puts the needs of clients first. Everything we do as an organization is aimed at helping clients to achieve success whether it is in their career or furthering their education. We receive continuous feedback from clients that the environment in our centres is warm and welcoming. I am proud of the work we do with clients and to be a member of the MCG team for the past ten years.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2018
The Best!
Program Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2018
My experience at McBride has been amazing! The leadership team allows full autonomy, while expecting a high level of achievement. This allows individuals to make mistakes, learn, and grow while delivering top notch service!

McBride's focus is 100% on the success of the clients and will go the distance for them even if the situation becomes politically challenging. The success of the clients speaks to the success of McBride!

The staff that succeed at McBride are positive thinkers, doers, and team players. Every place of employment comes with challenges; the key is to decide if the challenge you find here is yours to own or McBride's.

I love working here!
Pros
Autonomy, laughter, caring management from the top, great team
Cons
Typical Government funding restrictions and control
Strathmore McBride Career Centre - Strong Team with Dedicated Employees
Career Coach (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB24 January 2018
The Strathmore McBride location is a good opportunity for professional career coaches and admin staff who are not interested in the commute to Calgary for work. While the salary is below industry standards the group of individuals you will be working with are excellent. Local management is very supportive and encouraging
Only the numbers count
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
I understand the need to keep an eye on the bottom line, but McBride claims to be in the business of supporting clients to get back to work when the only things that matters is how many job placements get made, not the quality of the jobs or the satisfaction of the client. There needs to be some balance there. I was brought in to work on what I thought would be a great program but almost from Day 1 the priorities shifted daily, the means by which we were to attract clients / employers shifted daily and our jobs were threatened. Despite this, we pulled together as a team and made it work, only to have 2 members of the team let go. The focus is on short term, cyclical programs and there is no long-term vision or goals. It's unfortunate as there is potential to be a great service to people.
Pros
Parking, set hours.
Cons
Management, Pay
9 January 2018

We have forwarded your review to our Human Resources Department. Your feedback is valuable to us, and if you'd like to discuss your concerns/experience with a Human Resources Manager, please contact us. Your contributions to MCG are appreciated.

Best Team I have ever worked with
CC (Current Employee) –  Strathmore, AB23 November 2017
I have been with McBride for the past three years based out of the Strathmore location.

The management team provides the opportunity to shine and assists with building up skill areas that may need it in a positive way. The company provides both an education allowance as well as wellness allowance each year. The team has established strong relationships with other service agencies which benefit the clients.
While the pay is lower than what you might get working in a larger centre the relationships you build with co-workers and clients will not be as strong.
Pay below standard, and miserable work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2017
McBride (Calgary office) is a hostile environment for staff; with low pay, and long long meetings stroking the ego of management.

Work itself is mostly manageable; but the office environment is by far the worst I've ever experienced. Employees are given zero support, but management is more than ready to criticize, berate and complain.

There are many other wonderful social services and much better places to work. Steer clear.
Pros
Cons
The list is too long
23 August 2017

We have forwarded your feedback to our human resources department. If you would like to discuss your concerns with a human resources manager, please do not hesitate to contact us.

A Good Place to Work
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2017
There has been notable progress in the working atmosphere over my period of employment. Company management is clearly making an effort. Good opportunity as an entry level job or for an experienced person who wants to re-engage in the workplace. The work is meaningful. A fast-paced environment, lots of scope for making a difference both socially and in the working process, and the opportunity to work and develop professionally is strong.
Pros
Opportunity for professional develop in your role, great work/life balance
Cons
Compensation and benefits low in relation to the pace of work and the professionalism expected, but this is characteristic of the human services industry in general.
14 August 2017

Thank you for your review - we're glad you're enjoying working at McBride!

Employees are very dedicated and leaders are caring
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2017
The programs provided through MCG are excellent. I'm very impressed with the dedication McBride employees have to their clients. They go above and beyond to help them succeed. The work environment is relaxed and employee team building events fun and inclusive. Salary is similar to not-for-profit, so if you're used to O&G compensation, this might not be the place for you. If you want to provide good resources to clients with barriers, this could be a good fit for you...
Pros
allows for work variety
14 August 2017

Thank you for your review - we value and appreciate your feedback.

Awful environment
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Calgary28 June 2017
Although one would assume a place seeking to help others would be a positive environment, with staff seeking to create positive changes, the management of McBride's downtown office make it next to impossible to anything productive.

Lousy leadership, dishonesty and a complete lack of integrity.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the clients, who just need a hand up. Unfortunately, management sees them as dollars, and they are treated as such. Resources are not provided, and employees are made to feel guilty while being micro managed.
Pros
Cons
Management - lack of integrity
26 July 2017

Your review has been forwarded to our human resources department. Additionally, if you would like to discuss your concerns with a human resources team member, please contact us - we value your feedback.

Run the other way
Too scared to say - they watch us closely. (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2017
This place has potential, but the Regional Manager is terrible, and seems to think his job is to control everyone else. He lies regularly, and creates at atmosphere where he pits employees against each other, creating a stressful, awful office environment.

Poor management and awful leadership are driving this place into the ground.

If you are thinking of working here - run, run the other way.
1 June 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience at McBride Career Group. Our potential comes from hardworking and sincere employees. We are sorry to hear that you are facing some concerns at your workplace. Your comment has been escalated to the human resources team. As you are a current employee, we request you to share your concern with your immediate supervisor or Human Resources team in the future.

Loved working with the clients, I found that there was too much time wasted on repetitive meetings that created back logs in the paperwork
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta14 March 2017
Loved the job government funding was at times delayed causing in needed stress, due to the program is based on numbers and client base is hard to determine. Worked with an amazing team, loved facilitating. Micro managed by the district-manager. The hardest part of the job that the coaches hat was on all the time to support other co-workers with client issues.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
Too much time wasted on irrelevant meetings
6 June 2017

Thank you for your review. As a former employee, we hope that you shared your feedback during your exit interview with the HR Manager.
After all, a job isn't worth doing unless you enjoy it - Dinah Sheridan

Stressful Environment
Career Coach (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2017
Inexperienced management, underpaid and overworked employees. No bonuses, lousy raises. Good programs for low income clients. Large turnover in staff.
1 June 2017

Thank you for your review. McBride Career Group has been in existence since 1989, therefore the management has over 20 years of expertise in the industry. As a former employee, we hope that you shared your thoughts with the HR team during your exit interview.

excellent starting job, ability to learn from mistakes and grow
Marketer and Employer Liaison (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2016
It is a good starting point if you are starting out in a social services field. However it has lost its magical touch. the company lacks compassion, professionalism, and knowledgeable management that knows how to take career planning into the 21st century. Although it is does make a difference in the lives of many Edmonton Residents looking for work. The hardest part about the job was lack of communication and positive enforcement/ encouragement from management. The best part about working there was the connection I made with coworkers. We became a tight knit bunch! And the most memorable thing is being able to contribute to the lives of others in a positive way. If you are looking to make a difference in your community, It is a good place to start!
Pros
Pot lucks and bbqs
Cons
lack or communication within a team environment
1 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a memorable experience at McBride Career Group. Your comment has been forwarded to the respective team.

great program
student (Current Employee) –  calgary alberta20 October 2014
learned a lot about my self, helped me point in the direction of where I want to be, learned a lot of new exciting things.
Pros
only monday to thursday
1 June 2017

Thank you for your comment. We apologize for the delayed response. One of our mission is to assist working Albertans to identify steps, and move towards job and career goals. We are glad to hear that the program met your needs and expectations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McBride Career Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8