McAsphalt Industries

McAsphalt Industries Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
Being part of a team that matters speaks volume, a good mix of experienced and new employees, people stick around even in seasonal position. Fair pay, good benefits and pension. Overall great company to work for if you are not afraid of putting hours in!
Pros
People, rewarding work, not a just a number, training
Cons
Long hours 10-12 hours shift
Find something strange, ask a question and long term employment vanishes. HR are idiots, top management are idiots who manage from the 70’s. Hopefully new parent company will clean up this company. Pay is good, but no respect for after hours work. Favouritism to management ‘go to guys’ is evident as far as vacations, training, career advancement. Do not work here
Pros
Only one, they pay
Cons
Ethics, management, hr, work life balance
This is a company that used to be a mom & pop shop and is now trying to transition to a corporate environment but they don't really have a clue how to do that. Leadership, procedures or guidelines are non-existent and managers are chosen based on how close they are to the bosses. Overall it is a negative work environment in my experience where everyone is confused and harassment and verbal abuse is commonplace. Compensation is good but benefits are mediocre at best. There are some nice people working there but don't expect to learn anything from them.
McAsphalt is a decent employer. It's not the perfect job but there are many positive aspects to it. Changes within the company are starting to affect the culture.
Great place to work. Keeps you busy and pays well. Unfortunately was seasonal. Lots of on job training and good co workers helping out. Perfect mix of hard work and leisure work
Amazing management and great employees. Wonderful place to work for which many opportunities to grow and advance your career. Absolutely loved working there!
Pros
Caring employer who cares about their employees
I loved working at this facility from the first day to the last. It's the sort of job you feel happy to go to in the morning. From the people I worked with to those, I interacted with I felt blessed.

The work environment was friendly. My manager was lovely.

The work was steady sometimes busy sometimes less so but always interesting.

The hardest part of my job was leaving at the end of the day.

When I was interviewed I was specifically asked for a sense of humour I do and all was good.
Pros
Bbq
Cons
Not seeing guys because of different shifts they had.
Unprofessional atmosphere,
Favoritism for employees that drink together.

Bad examples set by management which employees follow and are disciplined

New new and fresh blood
So first off I have to say is that its good for working summers only. There is down time so keep yourself busy and active. The pay is good and benefits are something to look at. Hours can range from 8-12 hour shifts with some over time.

Cons is that its just a summer job, and trying to find stuff to keep yourself busy when nothing is going on.
Pros
Management and staff are great to work with
Cons
sometimes you won't have a life
Great place to work. Operations really tried to take care of you.

The Head of HR was not very helpful at all. In fact I would say that he wasn’t engaged unless you lived in Ontario.

The Engineering depart took to many high risk. This was problematic with local regulators
Pros
Able to work freely
Cons
Engineering thought they were better than everyone.
It was a fairly small plant. Had very few production protocols to follow. Many of the plants parts were old and rusting up. Didn't mind the work in the proper PPE was used.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Health risks
In employment law, constructive dismissal, also called constructive discharge or constructive termination, occurs when an employee resigns as a result of the employer creating a hostile work environment. Since the resignation was not truly voluntary, it is, in effect, a termination.
Great workplace! Definitely a great place where work and life balanced equally! Reasonable salary potential to move up! Many new opportunities within the facilities.
Great company with benefits and company sponsored events. Chances for development and growth. I was able to travel and build out quality performance evaluations with my manager. We worked well together and he gave me the autonomy to build out projects that I felt would benefit the company. I was given opportunities to develop my skills and maintain my designations.
Great wages and benefits , had many job titles and duties, had great staff and workers to be around. Enjoyed all work tasks and enjoyed different training
When working with asphalt and road crews, it's not hard for dirt to get on every surface of the office from tar on the phones to mud on the floors. However, it is a small staff in the Saint John office so it is easy to become a tight crew. Work was varied and included typical reception work from greeting customers, preparing invoices and answering phones, but also involved scheduling crews, shipping product, and directing transportation.
Great company to work for, and good people to work with. Some days are really busy and you barely have time to take a break, but that keeps the hours moving. Others can be slow, but there's always something to be done or learned. I've learned quite a bit about pumps and systems working here. Management is pretty responsive to issues.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
could be winter layoffs (seasonal)
Wonderful company to work for and great people to work with. Very good potential for advancement. Good pension and the owners are very personal and always have an open door policy. Very admirable.
Busy during the seasonal months, new research and development projects during the non-seasonal period. Friendly and safe work environment. Manager over rule the assistants, and very laid back in doing their part of the job.Manager think as he is designated to direct their assistants to do all the related work but not to do it himself. Though, hard workers are able to manage and control the situations with the help of co-workers and other managers.
Pros
Excellent wages and benefits
Cons
Titles gives the power to some managers to over rule their assistants
Typical day at work is busy but time flys when your moving right? i have learned quite a bit from my time here such as how to work on pumps and motor to loading and unloading of rail cars, trucks and ships. Management is decent have no complaints really.
The nature of the business does employ seasonal workers. However salaried positions are employed yearly. During the heart of the season, it is very busy and really makes the work day progress very quickly
Pros
bonus structure
Cons
weak hse but is progressing