Mazzei Electric

Mazzei Electric Employee Reviews

Usually busy, o.k. benefits

pros: pay on time lots of work o.k. benefits cons: cycle through guys like crazy management was poor but is getting better no room for advancement they hire the desirable jobs externally load as much stress as they can on their foremen

Worked for Mazzei for years and really appreciate the steady work and amazing group of people I have had the opportunity to work with over the years. They get a great variety of work and have more than reasonable expectations from there employees. Just like anywhere if you work hard you will do well with Mazzei! Really recommend!!

Pros

Steady work, benefits, great work atmosphere

Cons

Vancouver islands electrician meat grinder

I started at Mazzei and watched management slowly improve, overall it was headed in the right direction, but has recently taken a step back. Employees come and go more then any other company I've ever worked for, they only seem to care about employees in higher positions as apprentices and journeyman are disposed of at high rates. Watched many employees (especially apprentices) in recent times be let go due to "work shortage" but that's just their gutless way of firing you if you do not meet standards. They will never approach you and tell you what to work on to improve or anything. Foreman just bad mouth the employee behind their backs and eventually get them "layed off". If you are in higher positions you get feedback, apprentices just get blind sided with losing their jobs. I wouldn't recommend anyone work for Mazzei. Stay clear.

Benefits

Cons

Don't care about employees, no loyalty to anyone long term. Gutless.

23 March 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We do have processes in place to ensure our employees receive regular feedback. We work hard to keep our crews busy, but at times when one site finishes and the next isn’t quite ready yet there may be work shortage layoffs which is common in construction. This decision is not taken lightly and does not come from the site Foreperson. If you would like to speak further, please contact Human Resources at 250-751-1727.

Low pay and Poor supervision and management

The supervision changed often leaving jobs left unfinished.Staff movement between jobs was senseless and very disorganized.They would move the longer term employees leaving short term to figure out what they had done. When asked supervisors about when job was to conclude they would string you along saying they had lots of work to go to only to lay you off when project ends.Very cold and dishonest. Very low wages and poor training for apprentices.

Pros

Some good apprentices and crew.

Cons

Poor wages and supervision

9 December 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to ensure that we provide competitive wages and comprehensive training to our apprentices. We also ensure that we have the right supervisors on board for the right projects and are proud of the leadership team that we have built.

A growing company, just on the flipside of some growing pains

I have no complaints. I had heard enough hearsay that the company had went through some growing pains, but as of 2020, they seemed well organized and ambitious to keep growing. If I had stayed, I would have had plenty of opportunity to grow in my career with Mazzei. I came to them a fresh jman, and they had no problem when I admitted I needed plenty more mentorship, and they worked with me on continued learning.My experience was only 5 months, but they're top on my list of companies I've enjoyed working for.

Pros

Approachable management, professionalism, a positive work place culture, room to grow

Cons

typical growing pains of medium/large companies

Would recommend

Everyone from the management to the foreman’s to the apprentices are carefully chosen to ensure a productive, safe, and educational day, everyday. The journeymen and foreman in the field are very supportive of a learning apprentice and makes sure the job gets done properly and safely the first time. The office management always replies fast and detailed to help with any needs. Great benefits package and flexible time off when it’s time to return to school. Highly recommend.

Pros

Great staff and learning environment

Cons

Travel out of town

Proud of my opportunity

Since I began working for Mazzei I have kept my head down and worked hard, these actions I cannot say were like minded of my peers, If you don’t work hard you won’t be rewarded. I feel I have been treated very fairly by Mazzei and I am advancing my career experience with them. I’m looking forward to a prolonged future with them where possible. My advice would be if you can’t apply yourself you’ll end up like the rest.

Pros

Positive work atmosphere, support and camaraderie from upper management for supervisors

Cons

Pay scale is appropriate but I’d like more for what supervisors have to work with.

Successful local business

Corporate structure supports employees to succeed in competitive world of electrical construction. This organization has seen results due to the people it employees.

No complaints

I've worked for Mazzei electric for over 3 months now and have nothing negative to say thus far, working in the service department I have a lot of great guys to fall back on for support and guidance and the company as a whole is helping me develop my career as a journeyman to the next level. Overall great company to work for.

Lots of Work

They are always busy. Thorough safety program and there seems to be room for advancement. There has been lots of change over the last year to streamline things

Pros

Lots of Work, Benifits, Safety Program

Cons

Lots of Paperwork for Supervisors

Positive Great Place to work

I have been working at Mazzei Electric for 9 years. They have a great work- life balance. If you are a hardworking individual the possibilities for growth with in the company are endless. They promote and encourage a strong safety culture and is continually looking for areas of improvement to ensure that a high safety standard is achieved. Mazzei Electric is a COR certified company. I would recommend Mazzei Electric to anyone looking to join a great team and grow your career.

Good Place to Work, but Don't Ask for a Career

The Northern BC division is slowly been run into the ground. Vancouver Island is their core business.Wages are ok but not great. Good place to work but don't expect much support from management. Too much politics and favouritism.

Mazzei Electric - don't bother

Mazzei treated me like I was completely expendable. Not enough materials, no tools or poorly maintained, bring your own bits and have to lend them out. If you want the 3rd world electrician's apprentice treatment, it seems as though they are perpetually hiring.

Corprate greedy money is there only priority

I had left a job to come work for this company within two weeks their service manager left and it all went down hill from there I saw more employees leave this company than I figured normal explains why they are always looking for employees. I was never happy working here.

Not a secure place to work

This Is a company that seems to burn through the labour pool quite quickly. There seems to be people are constantly hired and fired, without much thought. If your considering coming to this company from a full time position somewhere else, think again. Just need you till the project is done.

Pros

Safety

Cons

Poor management

8 April 2019
Hi there. We are sorry to hear that your time with Mazzei Electric was not a positive one, and would like the opportunity to discuss this further. Please give us a call at 250.751.1727.

Misleading Review- A typical non-union company

Mazzei Electric has been an excellent company to work for since day one, everyone from the office to the field have been friendly and a pleasure to get to know. I personally looked at the indeed reviews when choosing to work for the company which is why I felt it necessary to correct a review I found to be quite misleading. The review states that the company doesn't supply PPE and goes on to say that the new safety rep said this.... well, that would be me and that is incorrect, the only PPE not supplied by the company is that which is the responsibility of the employee. Mazzei Electric is a COR certified company, this would not be the case if they did not meet a high standard in health and safety which is confirmed by a third party auditor. The management encourages a strong safety culture and is continually looking for areas of improvement to ensure that a high safety standard is achieved, maintained. My experience with Mazzei has been great and I would recommend this company to anyone looking to join a great team.

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere, growing safety culture

Cons

n/a

Poorly Functioning, Meat Grinder Company

Mazzei Electric is a company that is struggling to operate on the scale it's currently opperating on. In their bid to underbid the competition they grossly underpay thier apprentices, many of which are forced to work second jobs, and essentially make them pay for items such as tape and screws and sometimes even blades and bits for company tools providing only dull, bent or broken ones. Incentives are non-existent and pay raises are based on achieving milestones that are unrelated to the employee's work performance. Job security is based almost exclusively on nepotism. Employees are often tasked with completing a job without the proper material. The lack of experienced and capable management creates in fighting and massive loss of man hours, the lack of experienced Journeymen (vast majority are under 25) robs apprentices of meaningful tutelage and the corporate philosophy of throwing random bodies at a job leads to the inefficient and poorly executed work that Mazzei is becoming synonomous with.

19 March 2019
Hi there. We're disappointed to see this review, and that your time with Mazzei Electric has not been as positive as we would like. Please give us a call as we would like to discuss this with you further. Thank you and have a great day.

Excellent place to work

The Mazzei office has a great atmosphere and is full of an excellent group of people. My days are always different, filled with a variety of work to be done. There is great room for growth, the training opportunities are great.

19 March 2019
Thank you for sharing! We're happy to hear that your time with Mazzei Electric has been a positive one!

Serious about safety, lots of work, good people

I have been Working for Mazzei Electric since late summer 2017, they are my second electrical contractor of my apprenticeship, I now have over 2,000 hours with Mazzei Electric. Being no stranger to construction, and having been around it and tools my whole life I can definitely say it's one of my favourite companies I have worked for, the foreman are great, and easy to deal with. The office is quick to respond if you have a question about company policies or practices. There is a ton of opportunity to learn as an apprentice, they actually teach their apprentices how to do the job, instead of using them as cheap labour, or getting them to do menial unrelated tasks. Safety is taken very seriously, and every foreman will take any safety issues seriously and push the generals to fix any issues on site or we will fix it ourselves, they don't just say it's a priority on paper. you are never expected to do something outside your scope of safety, and any issue is thoroughly reviewed and proper measures put in place to prevent further issues if necessary. For me that is a huge plus, I have a wife and three kids and we are a single income family so it comforts me to know they take it as seriously as I do.

Pros

Benefits, Good Co-Workers, Lots of Work, Family Friendly.

Cons

The morning hazard assessments can be tedious on bigger crews, but that's honeslty not a bad thing when you think about it

19 March 2019
We greatly appreciate the feedback and will look to improve and streamline the morning paperwork on the larger sites.

Great Place to Work

Mazzei Electric is a very motivating work enviroment. Everyone here really enjoys their job and role within the company and it shows by the daily interactions with your fellow employees. Coming in everyday you really feel like part of the team and what you do is appreciated.

19 March 2019
We're happy to hear that you enjoy working with us at Mazzei Electric! Glad to know that you feel like a part of the team.

Excellent

I have nothing but good things to say as an employee for Mazzei Electric. They have been supportive, understanding and encouraging to not only my career goals but also to my personal needs as an individual. It's refreshing to work in an environment that I am more than just a number on a list. It must be said that the safety program for Mazzei is taken seriously and there is lots of room for growth. Definitely a great place to work as an electrician!

Pros

Steady work, benefits package, paid training

19 March 2019
We're thankful for the chance to ensure that you are encouraged in both your career and personal goals. We appreciate the review!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mazzei Electric. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement