Maurices

Maurices Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews
A lot of fun to work here
I would definitely recommend a friend to work here. They are very customer focussed and amazing to their staff. It was a relax place to work I only left to attend post secondary
Productive and fun workplace
-A typical day at work looks like walking into the store and having everyone greet you with a smile, you put your headset on, speak with customers, fix displays, clean the store, set up displays, move product, sort product, unpack product, normal retail duties
-I learned the importance of teamwork and leadership

-Management was okay for the most part, gossip was a big reason for leaving

-The workplace culture was great for the most part, most people were friends and enjoyed working together, music was always playing and it was a genuinely fun place to work. When some of the girls got together they were just plain mean to each other however

-The hardest part of the job was scheduling errors when my school schedule was overlooked by management

-The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with customers and picking out different clothing items and full outfits for special occasions, vacations, promotions, events, etc. and finding them something that truly made them feel good in their own skin and confident in who they are as a person.
Stressful.
It was overly stressful to walk into work every day. Management was very cliquey and didn't listen to most of what the staff said. There was a lot of drama and there was a lack of respect for anyone younger than 25. I saw problems with how management was treated as well, I saw physical harm placed upon a member of management because a question was answered wrong. Many days people left crying or upset.
Amazing place
I never had a work experience where you could grow as a person at the same time you were growing your career. Maurices makes that happen. No shaming, bullying, or mean people. Your valued, cared for, and treated like an equal no matter what your position is. I am so thankful to have had an opportunity to be interviewed and accepted for the job!
It’s a okay place,but when your lead is always in the back working, doesn’t know whats going on in the front of store not good
Short staff, no communication though management: great customers . Dm are a joke . Some managers don’t take things seriously, when telling what is going on when there not there serious and not taking care of problems isn’t good for business
Not the best but not the worst
My store leader was horrible and her treatment of me was defineatly harassment. The regional manager was great and really made my time there better.

They do push for sales and have a specific culture that they want brought to all stores.
Pros
40% of clothes
Cons
High pressure
Unreliable shifts, catty management and unrealistic expectations
I was hired with the promise of a raise after a probationary period, flexible shifts while in school, and offered a promotion to part time management. However, I received hardly any training except for 3 hours in the back room with the head manager talking about herself. Thrown on the floor, I then got in trouble for asking questions pertaining to my job responsibilities. My hours nowhere near matched what I was promised upon hiring. The managers were told to pick 3 flaws a day in their part-time associates and report back to the main manager, with no intervention or communication with said associate at the time of the issue. The girls are passive-aggressive in communicating any problems within the store, leaving sticky notes around the back room. Finally, the 20 hours a week promised at hiring was cut down to 9 days off in a row, but 24 hours within 3 days on the specific day I asked for off 3 weeks in advance. Overall, this company is a JOKE. 0/10 would recommend working here.
Great workplace, Management was too connected
I genuinely loved working at Maurices. It was a refreshing take on a sales job and I adored the product. I was often praised for my efforts and went above and beyond because of how much I sincerely liked working there. Unfortunately management was awful and played extreme favorites with closer personality types ( that weren't often appropriate for the workplace ) . In an attempt to resolve the situation, I ended up being let go and replaced with the favorite. No other management would assist me and basically said it was useless to try and change anything. Very sad departure from a workplace I loved.
stressful,
stressful atmosphere, pressured to make sales over and beyond what customers were coming in the store. The management did not give us the resources or skills to be successful in this company. Standards were set way to high.
Drama
Nothing but women tearing each other down. Do not recomend this at all unless you want to be made to feel less then everyone else regardless of how amazing your sales are and how much cutomers love you.
I love Maurices!
The culture of Maurices is truly unique, thoughtful and unlike any other fashion retailer I’ve worked for. You can feel the sense of community pride and passion for fashion trickle right down the line from headquarters in Duluth to the stylist working 4 hours a week. Maurices creates a mindset of customer satisfaction and the constant growth in fashion for all sizes. I highly recommend working at maurices.
amazing place to work
Love all the people that I work with.
hardest part of my job is dealing with disrespectful customers.

working with clothes is the best part of the job
Enjoyed my time at Maurice’s
I enjoyed my job at Maurice’s, however I didn’t like their sales tactics. Pressuring people to buy things they don’t want, putting outfits into their change room to try on “because you think it would look great on them”, making sure to encourage selling a necklace and shoes or purse to go along with their new shirt etc., was a little much. The stores are actually equipped with a counter on the doors to see how many people enter and expect you to sell a minimum of 3 items to each person that enters and they keep track of this. The regional managers are bullies and will criticize your hair, makeup, outfit etc when they come in. They’ve had so many complaints I’m not sure how they’re still employed.

All that said, I loved up the 40% discount! Especially when used in combination with another sale! Worked a few months and bought a whole wardrobe! Totally worth it! Met lots of girls who I’ve become good friends with and they were very flexible with the hours!
Positive and fun place to work
Maurices is an amazing place to work. It’s the most rewarding job I have worked. We all work as a team and grow together. Making friends with my associates was a bonus, but being able to gain new skills has been the biggest asset. Then promote from within and they have lots of training for you to complete, all on paid time.
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
Not lots of hours in slow times
Acting manager
No advancement opportunities on any levels. It started with them thinning out HO and then Canada dms. Pushy sales tactics without listening to what your customers actually want
Don’t bother
The amount of blatant disregard of code of conduct and Ontario Labour laws by district leaders is astounding. Managers talking about staff pay on the sales floor, skipping breaks to add time to their day, using part time staff for over 32 hours a week for months on end without benefits? This is the least professional atmosphere I’ve ever encountered in a retail setting.
The abysmal amount effort put into anything around the store by the store leader is telling in store standards and staff training.

The customers were amazing and kept me going back every day, wages were competitive and benefits average.
Pros
Customers, discount
Cons
Everything else
Fun
Loved to dress clientele and find their style. Great discount awesome return policy. Great quality clothes... really fun upbeat job. Salary is not great.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Working weekends
Fun Place bad management
I worked at the Maurice's in prince Albert Saskatchewan Canada and it closed June 2018. we were told that we would get job security but we didn't receive severance pay. We didn't get anything. Typically the day at work was fun, high-spirited and so easy going.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
bad hours
Manager of Outlet is crazy,
I’ve worked with the manager of the outlet location and she is insane. I agree with policies and procedures but she talks to you like you are an idiot. Very blunt and I can handle blunt I understand getting your point across and weeding out slackers. However the way she tells you what you need to do is very rude and disrespectful almost all staff quits on her because of this reason. She should be fired.
Maurices
If you are looking for work life balance, or advancement. This is not the company for you. The customers were friendly and fun to be around. If you're looking for somewhere quiet to work, this would be the place.
fun and positive workplace
i have worked with Maurice's for about a year now, and my experience has been nothing but positive. the staff are inclusive and the management team is caring and flexible with scheduling to fit my busy schedule.