Matrix Aviation Solutions Inc.

Matrix Aviation Solutions Inc. Employee Reviews

We mainly supply logistic support to mining exploration teams. Work is diversified from building new camps from scratch to maintenance only. Management and HR are very supportive.
Pros
Great opportunity to work and travel in the Canadian Arctic.
Cons
Rotations can be a bit on the long side ( 6 weeks )
Amazing team to work with!!! Strong support acomidating to your needs and home schedule with flexibility. If your looking for excitement and adventure and opportunity to grow this is the company to work for!!!!
Pros
Visit some of Canada's beautiful places meet new people.
Cons
As long as you're positive there is no cons.
I worked with this company for about a year in the recruitment (office in Langley) section and it was awful. Everyone tries to throw you under the bus, including the HR Manager who will do literally anything to keep accountability off herself. The Pres is inappropriate and toxic, derogatory comments towards women etc. He will only approve office hires if they are young and pretty. He flies off the handle at a moments notice and just fires people for not knowing what to do, even though they provide ZERO training. The CEO is non confrontational and will not get involved in anything. When I was there, I saw turn over of 9 people in an office that only has 11 people, mostly because the environment is so toxic. They pay well, but trust me, its not worth it.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everything else.
If you understand and enjoy camp work, you will enjoy Matrix. The job is what you make it. Lots of room for advancement. They look for self starters.
Pros
Wages, Autonomy
Cons
If you are looking for the Hilton. Not for you
I started to work with Matrix as Baker a few months ago, the leading ladies at the office are very helpful and always in touch, the work load is reasonable and the pay excellent, this company takes care of its employees, they pay travel and hotel, you are always covered and the camp sites are just beautiful, yes you are in the bush, in the heart of the mountain, feels like leaving in another world and I always look forward to the new adventure, I will be loyal and stay with this company for as long as they ll have me, and I definitely recommend this company if you are looking for a job, look no further
Pros
excellent pay, good food
Cons
shared bathrooms
They are one of the worst companies to work for. No leadership no guidance of what needs to be done. They pay you a day rate but expect you to work 20 hours a day. When your on the job there should be 10 workers and you get 5 and out of the 5 3 are good. Hence the 20 hours. You can be sitting at home and get the phone call and you have to drop everything for these guys. No schedule of days on or off. You have to call the office and say it’s been 8 weeks can I go home. And once you get home there calling in 4 days for you to come back. All and all stay away if you are a family person
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
The company
Most of the field staff are great to work. Lots of interesting people from all over Canada. The company does care about the employees and listens to them.
We fly to a designated area to set up camp ,fly in 4 man cabins ,build pads for cabins,hook up water system,erect weather havens,build core shack.Improved my helicopter safety skills,improved my carpenter skills,got to learn how to hook up water lines to the kitchen and bath rooms/showers.Management was clear and sufficient.good camp managers.No hard parts of the job just do it and it all works out and gets done .great locations up in the mountains.
This company is a nightmare. Some people in upper management are completely unqualified, unfaithful and seem to be out of reach. No ethics, no respect, no collaboration. Stay away.
The management here is a joke, they hire and fire on a whim, expect you to live and breathe the company without any compensation for this as well as the culture of treating female employees like garbage. Stay far away from this company.
Pros
Cons
better off in North Korea than working here
Absolutely, the worst employer I have ever had or have had contact with. The owner is an absolute tyrant. He has some great hard-working staff, who never get recognized for their work. If you are thinking this would be a great challenge, well, think again. Your creativity and initiative will quickly be sapped by an owner who constantly interferes and does not adhere to safety practices.
They expected you to drop everything when they call and leave sometimes on hours notice to go to work across the country. Their head HR lady has to be the most unorganized person I have had to deal with in my professional career. The day pay isn't great for the hours you work. Unless you really need the work stay away from this company. Sometimes they can't tell you how long you will be gone for
Pros
See a lot of remote areas in Canada
Cons
Everything else
The CEO sent me personal insults via email when I made the decision to accept a better job with higher pay! Matrix is well known for its poor treatment of it’s staff, especially field staff (camp cooks etc), so be very wary. Read your contract thoroughly- in it they state that they reserve the right to fire their field staff for any reason (personality etc) and if they decide to fire you while you are in the field you must pay your own way home. This can cost literally $1000s of dollars if you are in one of their camps in Nunavut. They do not have the interest of their hard working field staff at heart... you’re better off working in these camps as a independent contractor (Matrix takes over 50% of what the projects pay for field staff off your wage- as a independent contractor you take home 100%). They’re not worth it.
Pros
Travel
Cons
No support, unreasonable contract policies.
Be prepared to work more then the contract says and get paid less. They verbally promise extras to "get the job done' but don't follow thru on the promises. Daily Rates are ok but they don't like to pay OT even though they regularly expect you to work extra hours for free.
Pros
Decent pay as per contract
Cons
Longer hours with no OT pay
Amazing opportunities to see Canada's remote North. Unequaled company support in and out of camps. Communication in and out of remote locations was superior to that of other companies. Travel and expenses were company guarantees.Work in camp although tryin due to weather was made easier by placement of protocols and standards of work ethic. High risk high energy work . Not for the faint of heart.
Pros
Experience a remote lifestyle with all the benefits of fine hospitality
Cons
seclusion and remote camp risks and hazards
Great place to multitask. Good planning is a key factor when working in remote places. Work in winter is scarce lately. One can learn how to always have a plan b to get the job done.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Mostly exploration clients with little stability
Great to start but then business slowed down and lay off occurred
I have gotten to see and work with many differnt ethic groups while working in Canada's high north . Having completed 22 years in the Canadian armed Forces and traveled the world this would have to been the best experince of my life so far .Being an outdoors person and enjoying wildlife hunting and fishing .Flying in all types of aircraft and meeting different people has been a hightlight working with Matrix . I have learned many diferent skills and fixes from a wide variety of skilled personal .
Pros
paid flights to and from camps and accomadiations while travelling .
Cons
not always sure when you are heading back to work, need a more stable shift