Mathnasium

Mathnasium Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews

jobworkmathnasiumtimegoodhourgreatmath

Excellent Entry Level Position

Mathnasium is a great place to work for students looking for an entry level job. The salary is minimal. Mathnasium is like the McDonalds of teaching. Do not expect to

Only good for high school students or undergrads

The math is usually arithmetic and although there are some high school students, I found it to be mainly elementary and middle school. It usually pays minimum wage and so it's only if you want a bit of spending money. I don't see how one could build a career here, but it is nice to get on the resume and have some references if you're starting out.Because it's a franchise, as a teacher, you have to do it the Mathnasium way and so if you find that doesn't work for you and/or need more flexibility then find another place.

Insights into Mathnasium

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment

Very fun workplace with rewarding work

Chill environment while still professional. The job is very rewarding as you get to watch the students improve over time. Hours aren't long and are flexible.

Great place to work for students

flexible hours, center directors are usually very accommodating. Great for students looking for part time job and great for people looking for experience in the teaching industry

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

pay

highly dependent on centre director

As the centres are personally owned and operated by the Centre Director, everything is depenedent on how they decide to run the place. Higher management may come in and check on things, but way too easy to hide issues behind the scene.

Friendly and supportive work environment. Good for people looking to get into education.

The team I worked with is very friendly and helpful. Everyone looked out for each other and assisted one another when needed. Some students can be difficult to work with at times when you are just starting, but the more experienced staff will quickly help you adapt to their learning style. I only left the job because of an internship opportunity in a different city.

Pros

Supportive environment, relaxing job if you are good with high school math.

Cons

Some students can be very difficult to work with.

Fantastic place to work

Mathnasium is an amazing place to work. I was fortunate enough to be a part of Mathnasium of Tecumseh team and worked as a part-time Math tutor for around two years until I moved out of Windsor. One of the best jobs I ever did. Honestly it wouldn't feel like you are doing a job. It's a fun and casual atmosphere, interacting with students, staff and parents. Had lots of fun. A place I would always love to go back.

Pros

Lots of fun, Great colleagues

Cons

Part-time

Mathnasium is the best to both kids and instructors

At the mathnasium center you get to share a great bond with fellow instructors, children and the Directors and its makes a really fun environment for learning

Very monotonous, but never boring.

A typical day at work will entail walking around the centre, looking for children who need help. A lot of time is spent helping them (that's the job).

fun to work

very relax and fun working environment great organizational culture manager cares about your life easy to get started on if you are good at math flexible working schedule

Desirable experience

This opportunity to work at Mathnasium was a perfect match for the field I am pursuing education in for and had presented many opportunities in my desired field as a result.

Working there was a great experience

Mathnasium provided flexible schedule. The owners were very friendly and the style of teaching was great. I really enjoyed working there. I encourage anyone who wants to work there.

Fun and collaborative place to work

Working here is fulfilling because you know you are directly impacting students' lives positively. Sometimes work can be really fast-paced if there are many students in at once. Overall it is a great experience and I will recommend it if you enjoy tutoring and working with kids, or if you are in college and are looking for a job

Friendly and flexible

organized company and not stressful. fairly paid every period and the owner is very nice. having fun during the work with student and employee as well.

Pros

flexible

Cons

only have part time job

I love working at Mathnasium. Till now the experience has been really good. Terrific work culture along with good management is something one will experience here at Mathnasium

Fun workplace with new challenges each day

Mathnasium offers good employment to college students looking for part time work. The job was demanding at first as you must recollect most of your highschool and elementary level math quickly. As time passes the job becomes much easier with less challenges as the days go by. The hours are short but fit well into a college students schedule. Management was good, workplace was comforting and engaging with the students is entertaining.

Temporary opportunity to earn a few bucks if you are passionate about math

Temporary opportunity to earn a few bucks if you are passionate about math. It is a collaborative easy paced environment to work. Part time teaching allows you to pay for your living expenses

Great place to help students with math

At mathnasium I was able to get the experience I need to get into and exel at teaching/supporting students with their Math homework/test preparation. The other instructors are great to work with and truly care about the students' progress.

Inappropriate Application Process

They called me back for an interview and hired me. Said they would call me for my first shift in two weeks. Exactly those words. They never did so I called in and they claimed they never hired me and apologize for the miscommunication. There was none... they said I was hired so I stopped applying for jobs. Not to mention there was absolutely no calculus on the instructor test, only a ton of stats. It was like they want you to only tutor stats which was never posted in the listing... it was never posted in the listing that you need to know stats in general. Even goes as far to say grade 12 skills are not mandatory. Don't waste your time.

Great Environment but only with the Students

Mathnasium is a fantastic place for students to come and advance their mathematical skills. unfortunately, as an employee, it's constricting and harsh. The management was not open to new ideas, refused to accept certain proved methods of work. creating an overall hostile and resentful environment.

Pros

Free math themed water bottle.

Cons

Manager will openly berate you in front of students and berate students in front of you.

Novice

Not much to do when you have shifts. Usually there are less students, and because of this, staff is often idling. Because of this, there aren't many hours being scheduled for each person, and they are overstaffed. However, the managers are super friendly and nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mathnasium. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement