Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

fun supportive and productive workspace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2018
Every shift at Mastermind Toys I’m learning how to improve my skills in sales and basic skills such as communication and organization. I find being able to demonstrate certain things for customers is really helpful and enjoyable when making a sale as well as ensuring that I know the product that is being sold.
Pros
always being productive
Cons
not many shifts
Amazing place , amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 July 2018
My time working at mastermind was amazing all around. Great staff and even better management. It was always fun to go to work. We would have staff parties and events. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. Such an amazing place to work!!
Fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 June 2018
Being surrounded by all the toys is amazing you also get to demo a lot of the toys for the customers and seeing the kids smiles after they buy a toy is just priceless.
Pros
How happy people look after walking in
Cons
Always on your feet
Good managements and co workers. Customers were the biggest issue.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario3 June 2018
For most part, I really enjoyed my time at mastermind. The managements and my fellow coworkers were great! The flexibility of the times table was also great, and i had no problem booking time off, or changing my availability. I also got quite a few hours. My only issue was that the nature of some of the customers was kind of rude. I was dealing with a lot of difficult customers, that treated me with no respect. Don't get me wrong, I did have some good customers, but it did get to the point that i couldn't take it anymore.

On the plus side, there were multiple times where I literally just played with toys for an entire 8 hour shift.
Pros
good employee discount, great management, flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
rude customers
Busy, but comfortable.
seasonal employee (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 May 2018
The time I was working there was very hectic do to the season of operation, but that meant that I was given a lot of hours. The environment had a certain levity to it, after all it was a toy store. When unloading merchandise you were given the freedom to play music through an ipod dock, which made the work much more enjoyable.
Fun place to work with a quick environment.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 May 2018
As a seasonal worker my main role was to prepare for and work during the holiday season. This prompted for a quick, fun and engaging work environment. I learned how to multitask very well and how to deal with more than one customer at a time.
fun place if you love toys, and screaming kids
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 April 2018
I worked for Mastermind Toys for 4 years, I really enjoyed my job and all the toys and staff. This company does help you a lot if you want to advance and become shift lead or manager. I believe with the work that is involved and the negative comments you have to take from customers that the hourly wage should be higher than minimum wage.

Management is good with training and showing staff the right way to do things, at times they can be very condescending and a bit rude but other wise very helpful. I recommend this job mostly for students and a first job place not as a lasting career as they don't offer benefits and the pay isn't much of an increase when you move up to a shift lead to deal with nasty customers and the responsibility that go with that title.

This was my first toy related career but I have noticed that customers are meaner and nastier when it comes to a toy for there kids, sad cause usually the kids are very laid back compared to there parents. I would say that the stress of negative customers really was hard to deal with for me and part of the reason I left, its not just at Christmas but year round.

The fact to that after Christmas you are lucky if you even get one shift a week, which is very hard when this is your only source of income.
Pros
fun staff, great training, fun seeing new toys, discount in store, flexible hours
Cons
angry customers, low hours in low season, staff favoritism
it wasn't horrible
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 April 2018
this wasn't my favourite place to work. the days were long and slow with not much to do and the kids that came into the store were always screaming and crying and peeing on the floor.
Pros
people are nice
Cons
kids screaming
fun and happy atmosphere
cashier and reloading stock (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2018
typical day at work depended on what position you were given for that shift which could've been sales associate, cashier or refilling stock. The management system there was efficient and worked well. Workplace culture was great everyone was friendly and everyone helped each other out. Hardest part of the job was around Christmas it would get very busy and for a little store it would get really messy so keeping up with the customers would be the hardest part. Most enjoyable part of the job would be trying out the new toys that come in so that you can help customers when theyre looking for toys with specific characteristics.
Pros
good managment
A Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON17 April 2018
I started as a seasonal a few years ago and found during that very busy holiday season how important it is to bring enthusiasm and a willingness to learn to a new experience. At Mastermind, this was easy. The training was good, the management was great and took a strong role in everything about the store, and the customers made the crazy pace worth it all above all else.
Now, as a regular employee, the customers are still my favourite part, but the staff (including management) also go from strength to strength. It is a solid, enthusiastic and fun team. This is the best retail experience I have had.
Pros
Great and fun work environment
Cons
Be prepared for crowds at Christmas. (This is not necessarily a 'con', just be prepared.)
Fun workplace for any age
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON31 March 2018
On a regular one is just maintaining the store (fixing the products, making stands look presentable etc), there is a schedule where all employees rotate in positions such as cash, door greeter, wrapper for gifts, on the floor helping customer and taking out stock. I learned lots of communication skills, time management skills, hospitality skills, and over patience with customers. The management was very organized and the workplace culture is very diverse and welcoming to new cultures. the hardest part of the job is that if no one can take your shift you must go in and it's quite hard when one has an important situation to take care of and no one will cover up for you. Overall the job is very enjoyable, welcoming, you feel like you have known everyone there that works, for years.
Pros
Manager is very considerate, flexible hours
Cons
wages for students is quite low
Fun and supportive workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON21 March 2018
I learned valuable communication skills with customers and coworkers. I learned how to cash people out and open and close tills. A typical day consisted of an opening meet and rotations on the floor, wrapping and cash.
Pros
got to play with toys
Cons
boring at times
Fun workplace full of smiling faces
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 March 2018
A typical day at work would be restocking, cleaning and selling products.

I learned how to up-sell products.

Management was always fun to work with. They always had smiles on their faces. They took care of employees and made sure we understood how to do everything.

The hardest part of the job was the weekends. It was our busiest time and the line up of people was huge.

The most enjoyable part of the job was restocking and organizing.
Pros
Flexible hours, great managers, fun/friendly environment
Cons
Not a lot of shifts
Fun place to work, great work life/balance and plenty of support.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, Sask11 March 2018
My experience with Mastermind Toys has been fun and rewarding. The customer base is friendly and excitied to comeback in on a regular basis. You get to know the customers of a first name basis and are able to get involved in the community inside and outside the store. I highly recommend Mastermind Toys.
Pros
New products constantly coming in. Ability to be creative. Fun environment
Everday new product arrives.
Shift Leader- Part (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 February 2018
A typical day at work means providing excellent customer service to our special customers. We get to play and experiment with our product to build a product knowledge database. Our management team strives to create a fun, energetic, positive atmosphere. The motto is have fun and others will too. We do not satisfy our customers, we form relationships that last.
Pros
Christmas gifts to all staff.
Cons
Store was great for kids
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 February 2018
Typical day was to stock shelves all day and help customers find certain items

Culture was a happy one because children were always number one.

Hardest part of the job was constantly stocking shelves during Christmas time.

Most enjoyable part was seeing kids run around and be kids.
Pros
help children be happy
Cons
monotone type job, stocking shelves
Friendly workplace environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2018
Mastermind Toys has become my second home. I have been employed there since before it opened in 2015. I have learned how to communicate better with all ages and understand what the customer is looking for. A typical day at work is basically clocking in, throwing on my apron, heading out to the floor to check my tasks for the day. I am normally main cash. There really isn't a hard or difficult part of a job. If you can't deal with a super fast paced, crowded environment, then Mastermind Toys is not for you. The fast pace during busy season has to be my favourite time of year. It gives me the chance to show my experience through my management skills for the other associates even though we are all at equal position. The whole environment is super fun and friendly. The staff will become your second family!!
Fun work environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON4 February 2018
Mastermind was a seasonal job. It was always fun as the staff were all friends. Management was the best at this job. I would wrap gifts and stock shelves.
Fun workplace but no opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2018
I've been with the company for about four years now but have yet to see a raise besides an increase in minimum wage. During your annual review you get told you will receive a small raise, but it just so happens to not take effect until September. Minimum wage goes up in October every year and instead of getting your small raise added on to the new minimum, they just start you at the new minimum again. This is a great environment to work in and most of the full time employees have become good friends. The management team is great and they communicate well with staff.

The only down side I have ever experienced is when they hire temporary staff for Christmas. For example at my location some 16 year old kid (who has no previous experience) started at the same hourly wage as me even though I have been with the company for years.

It's a great place to work for your first job, if you live at home and have no bills to pay. But if you expect to be compensated for your loyalty and work ethic, look somewhere else.
Pros
Staff discount. Friendly staff
Cons
minimum wage increasing is your only "raise"
Not good.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON3 February 2018
Hostile environment, no chance of advancement, lack of hours besides around Christmas, manager likes to single out individual employees and yell at them for no apparent reason.

Worked seasonally but had seen enough, would not have wanted to join the permanents if they asked.

Avoid.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastermind Toys. Our community is ready to answer.