Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

Fun and productive, surrounded by friendly coworkers
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2019
Right after my interview with the manager was completed, she gave me a chance to choose which days I worked and had the option of extending or shortening my hours on the day of. Since this was a seasonal job, I was only kept for the week leading up to Christmas, at which time I enjoyed the quick pace of the environment as it motivated me to work more efficiently. I was stationed mainly in the gift-wrapping, however I also had the opportunity to stock and organize products, assist customers who were in search of something in particular, and answer phone calls. I enjoyed the little benefits, such as being able to choose our hours and getting free pizza on the weekends that I was scheduled to work. Additionally, I enjoyed being around my coworkers who were all very welcoming and helpful, especially on the first day when I had limited time to get trained for gift-wrapping. I learned from this brief experience at mastermind toys how difficult it is to find specific products that customers are looking for, so it really is important to take the time to familiarize yourself with the surroundings and where everything is located. I appreciated the experience I received in communicating with customers in a friendly and approachable manner, which is something that I used to struggle with but now don't. I believe that the prior statement, in addition to getting to know the people I worked with were the most enjoyable parts of the job.

I was not told on my first day, how to to log in my hours. That was probably the only issue I had, as I went the entire week, not knowing how to log in
  more... and out before and after my shifts. Luckily, the manager was patient and helpful, in ensuring that my hours were logged correctly in order for me to receive my full pay.

Overall though, I am happy to say that this job has further influenced my abilities as an efficient individual, as well as a team player. It made me value the time and effort that other employees invest in order to satisfy a fellow customer's wishes.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
strict dress code
Good place for a part time position
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 February 2019
Mastermind was filled with enthusiastic and kind employees. Management was very accommodating and was very kind during training sessions. A typical day as a sales associate consisted of working the floor, as well as the register and wrapping.
Fun and great place to start out.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 February 2019
Worked with two different managers both were great moved locations and both were set up nice with great people to work with. Lots of different skills were needed such as interacting with customers, working with cash registers, and putting stock on the shelves in a quick and neat manner
Pros
Great atmosphere, fun co-workers, great management
Cons
Doesn't pay much, Part-time only
fun and exciting
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2019
Mastermind Toys was overall an exciting environment to work in. You fall in love with the regular customers and their children and the coworkers make the work day go by quickly
super fun work place
limited holiday work (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC3 February 2019
of course your going to have a fun time working in a toy store come on. every kids DREAM job. everyone who works there you can tell wants to be there best job experience.
Unfriendly environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2019
Management extremely manipulative of employees. Staff schedules constantly altered and given different hours than what were agreed upon. A toy store that you're not allowed to enjoy working in. You're lucky if you even get to take your half hour unpaid lunch break when working a long shift.
It is a great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
There is not room for lunch.
Good coworkers.
Very fun.
You will happy if you really love children. I worked as sales associate. I recommend it
Great Experience Overall
Sales Representative (Seasonal Contract) (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 January 2019
The management team was absolutely amazing. They were exceptionally understanding, and understood that at the time my life at the time was complicated
Overall Experience 2018.12.18
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 December 2018
Didn't mind the store; was clean, put together and had plenty of items. My overall experience of the store itself was exceptional.

Found almost all the cashier staff to be rude, stuck up and think they were better than everyone else when really i didnt need to be there.

Management was all friendly and awesome.

Great TOYS

not a job for everyone. - did like their app for employees the best.
Pros
Staff Appreciation
Cons
Cashiers were rude
Productive: Meet day's goal. Made Customers smile
TEMP SALES (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2018
Productive: Meet day's goal. Made Customers smile.
Understand employer target, and satisfied supervisor or managers goal.
Understand and conveniently fits into work place culture.
Enjoy what I am doing.
Reflecting a distinctive American perspective, we have been an innovator in aspirational lifestyle branding and believe that, under the direction of internationally renowned designer Ralph Lauren, we have had a considerable influence on the way people dress and the way that fashion is advertised and celebrated throughout the world. We combine consumer insights with our design, marketing, and imaging skills to offer, along with our licensing alliances, broad lifestyle product collections with a unified visio
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Too long Hours
great place to work
Seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 November 2018
mastermind is a great place to work they are very nice and I would love to work there again. everyone there was just so kind they made me feel like family
An extremely fun, rewarding workplace (YOU GET TO PLAY WITH TOYS)
Seasonal sales associate, cashier, store greeter (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 October 2018
This job definitely holds 1st place in my heart, never have I ever worked in a place where I was allowed to play with toys and listen to mass amounts of disney music while working. Best job ever!! Sometimes you'd have to deal with snobby parents, which can get stressful around christmas time, but finding that perfect toy for someone to give to their child or friend was worth every moment. Shifts weren't too long and usually there was more than enough to keep you busy around the store so it made time FLY! Also if you've got a love of wrapping presents like me, you'll be in heaven.
Pros
playing with toys, wrapping presents
Cons
snobby clients
Alright job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 October 2018
Work there during the Christmas season, not bad job. Lots to remember, some of the sales associates thought they knew more than others. The key holders (shift managers weren’t the nicest of people to seasonal staff they had pretty bad mood swings).

Good to learn how to wrap items all different ways, some costumers didn’t understand when it was busy and wanted their item to be wrapped before everyone else’s item even if they had to wait 3-5 minutes til the staff got to their items.

No employee discount to seasonal staff.
Pros
Learned to gift wrap professionally, staff
Cons
Key holders were moody to seasonal staff, not allot of hours and no discount to seasonal staff
A team driven, energetic and friendly environment.
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2018
Mastermind toys is a company that provides a light hearted and fun atmosphere. I have been with this company few years now and I can tell you that a typical day in the life of a Mastermind employee is WHIMSICAL. You are always provided with new tasks to be completed, so you're not stuck in the same routine day in and day out, the staff are super welcoming and the managers are very accommodating. I have never seen a group of managers so focused and dedicated to a team mentality. The hours are flexible and there is definitely opportunity for advancement with in the company.The only downside is that you may have to wait quite a while before a position becomes available.

The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be getting to see the smile on kids faces as you show them the newest toy, or a parent/ grandparent when you pair them with the perfect gift. This company is definitely a place where you are going to want to work, whether it's your first job, you're looking for something temporary during thew holidays , or if you want to be a part of something MAGICAL.
Productive and Efficient
Temporary Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 October 2018
At Mastermind Toys, the environment is not your typical warehouse; many people including the managers all enjoy talking to you, and are very pleasant to work around. I was mainly in the packing, and shipping and receiving departments, which required quite a lot of manual labor, but the people around me made it much better. The managers at the time were very kind and helpful to me. The job was very demanding on time efficiency; therefore, the work pace is very quick. This was good, because it made the day go by quickly. Everything in the warehouse is very organized, and you are able to find anything you are looking for.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, and good environment
Cons
Tiring job, because of the physical demand
Happy environment and happier costumers
Shift Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2018
When you are working with a lot of people who are good with kids and know a lot about toys you are in for a good position. Very friendly and the kids that come into the store always make your shift worth it ,
rude management, bad hours
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 September 2018
managers constantly harassed employees even calling a girl worthless for asking a question on her first day. hours were cut every day. I would show up for my 5 hour shift and 2 hours in they'd tell me to go home immediately because they were over staffed and didn't make enough money. it happened everyday to every staff member. Managers always played favorites some staff just sat in the back on their phones all day.
Pros
coworkers were super nice
Cons
terrible and unstable hours
Engaging workplace with easygoing coworkers and polite customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
A day at mastermind toys consisted of majority of customer interactions and constant maintenance and reorganizing of the stock shelves by adjusting the products to be visually appealing to customers. There was always a high regard for assuring that certain products were placed strategically around the store to appeal to customers as they walked in. The management team were a group of hard working individuals that showed they cared about their qualiy of work when it came to interactions with customers and employees. However, work became more mentally bearing than normal when the management team would bring their personal lives into the workplace, making it difficult to deal with internal conflict and customer service at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that almost all the employees were easygoing and weren't too serious when it camqe to work. Being that we were a toy store, we would constantly see parents looking for gifts for their kids or see children tagging along with their parents. It makes it so much easierand enjoyable when you have coworkers that share the same excitement and attitude that you want to portray to the customers and the attitude the customers are expecting from Employees who work at a toy store.
Pros
Playing with toys
Cons
Poor management attitude
Fun and safe job
Customer service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 September 2018
This job was fun because you got the chance to interact with so many different people including teachers and therapists on a daily basis. The people who came through the doors were always kind and understanding. Although the clientele was great the managers could have been a lot more helpful in the fact that they throw you in blind and expect you to pick things up yourself.
Pros
Getting to meet large amounts of different people, the staff not including the management
Cons
few shifts
constant changing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 September 2018
Management constantly changes. most enjoyable is definitely seeing the smiles on kids faces when they pick the right toy. also the parents love getting there gift wrapped when its for a party they are going to right after.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastermind Toys. Our community is ready to answer.