Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

Alright job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 October 2018
Work there during the Christmas season, not bad job. Lots to remember, some of the sales associates thought they knew more than others. The key holders (shift managers weren’t the nicest of people to seasonal staff they had pretty bad mood swings).

Good to learn how to wrap items all different ways, some costumers didn’t understand when it was busy and wanted their item to be wrapped before everyone else’s item even if they had to wait 3-5 minutes til the staff got to their items.

No employee discount to seasonal staff.
Pros
Learned to gift wrap professionally, staff
Cons
Key holders were moody to seasonal staff, not allot of hours and no discount to seasonal staff
A team driven, energetic and friendly environment.
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2018
Mastermind toys is a company that provides a light hearted and fun atmosphere. I have been with this company few years now and I can tell you that a typical day in the life of a Mastermind employee is WHIMSICAL. You are always provided with new tasks to be completed, so you're not stuck in the same routine day in and day out, the staff are super welcoming and the managers are very accommodating. I have never seen a group of managers so focused and dedicated to a team mentality. The hours are flexible and there is definitely opportunity for advancement with in the company.The only downside is that you may have to wait quite a while before a position becomes available.

The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be getting to see the smile on kids faces as you show them the newest toy, or a parent/ grandparent when you pair them with the perfect gift. This company is definitely a place where you are going to want to work, whether it's your first job, you're looking for something temporary during thew holidays , or if you want to be a part of something MAGICAL.
Productive and Efficient
Temporary Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 October 2018
At Mastermind Toys, the environment is not your typical warehouse; many people including the managers all enjoy talking to you, and are very pleasant to work around. I was mainly in the packing, and shipping and receiving departments, which required quite a lot of manual labor, but the people around me made it much better. The managers at the time were very kind and helpful to me. The job was very demanding on time efficiency; therefore, the work pace is very quick. This was good, because it made the day go by quickly. Everything in the warehouse is very organized, and you are able to find anything you are looking for.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, and good environment
Cons
Tiring job, because of the physical demand
Happy environment and happier costumers
Shift Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2018
When you are working with a lot of people who are good with kids and know a lot about toys you are in for a good position. Very friendly and the kids that come into the store always make your shift worth it ,
rude management, bad hours
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 September 2018
managers constantly harassed employees even calling a girl worthless for asking a question on her first day. hours were cut every day. I would show up for my 5 hour shift and 2 hours in they'd tell me to go home immediately because they were over staffed and didn't make enough money. it happened everyday to every staff member. Managers always played favorites some staff just sat in the back on their phones all day.
Pros
coworkers were super nice
Cons
terrible and unstable hours
Engaging workplace with easygoing coworkers and polite customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
A day at mastermind toys consisted of majority of customer interactions and constant maintenance and reorganizing of the stock shelves by adjusting the products to be visually appealing to customers. There was always a high regard for assuring that certain products were placed strategically around the store to appeal to customers as they walked in. The management team were a group of hard working individuals that showed they cared about their qualiy of work when it came to interactions with customers and employees. However, work became more mentally bearing than normal when the management team would bring their personal lives into the workplace, making it difficult to deal with internal conflict and customer service at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that almost all the employees were easygoing and weren't too serious when it camqe to work. Being that we were a toy store, we would constantly see parents looking for gifts for their kids or see children tagging along with their parents. It makes it so much easierand enjoyable when you have coworkers that share the same excitement and attitude that you want to portray to the customers and the attitude the customers are expecting from Employees who work at a toy store.
Pros
Playing with toys
Cons
Poor management attitude
Fun and safe job
Customer service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 September 2018
This job was fun because you got the chance to interact with so many different people including teachers and therapists on a daily basis. The people who came through the doors were always kind and understanding. Although the clientele was great the managers could have been a lot more helpful in the fact that they throw you in blind and expect you to pick things up yourself.
Pros
Getting to meet large amounts of different people, the staff not including the management
Cons
few shifts
constant changing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 September 2018
Management constantly changes. most enjoyable is definitely seeing the smiles on kids faces when they pick the right toy. also the parents love getting there gift wrapped when its for a party they are going to right after.
Great job, lots of fun and very nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 August 2018
Mastermind toys is a great place to work at. I enjoyed every shift there. Everyone is very nice and the environment is friendly and full of joy. I could go on about how great the store and everyone in it is but I don't have the time lol.
Pros
Free lunch, great management. Best place to be.
Cons
Not as many shifts as you'd probably like. But otherwise it's really good.
Great first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canada10 August 2018
Mastermind Toys is a great place for a first job, because they hire ages 16+, and as long as you love toys and are somewhat responsible they'll probably hire you. You get paid pretty much the same as every other sales associate even if they've worked there longer than you! They're also pretty flexible for hours as long as you don't expect to work a lot. Hours get very slim during certain times of the year.

Work environment is great and fun, you get to see new toys and product come in along with the new generation of children and see what they're into.

Management is pretty decent, but be ready for them to expect a lot from you if you're a hard worker. Don't forget to expect customer complaints and situations, and when you follow policy, you get to watch as management deals with the situation by giving them what they want and allow you to be treated poorly.

Don't expect a high chance of moving up in the company either, because the positions show up only every once in a while and even if you're good they'll probably pick someone else!

Unfortunately the company does nothing for employee loyalty, if you've worked there for years you still get paid min wage as an associate.

If you live at home and don't have bills to pay, this is the job for you. It's the only way you'll profit.
Pros
Play with toys, staff discount
Cons
Same music playlist they've had for years that will drive you nuts, slim hours, no raises
decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2018
retail job. work around kids and family's. lots of cleaning ,restocking, wrapping gifts. good paced, fun environment, good management team. would recommend..
Productive in ways , doesnt listen to saftey precautions
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 July 2018
Very welcomig at the beginning , very funny , scheduling is the only downfall. other employees were very welcoming, manager is funny nice , management team not respectful about schedules.
Pros
lunch break
Cons
not respecting scheduled hours around school hours
Fun environment
Sales (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 July 2018
Wrapping gifts daily, putting together display items, fun finding toys etc. for customers, great store environment to be in during shift, busy during Christmas with wrapping
fun supportive and productive workspace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2018
Every shift at Mastermind Toys I’m learning how to improve my skills in sales and basic skills such as communication and organization. I find being able to demonstrate certain things for customers is really helpful and enjoyable when making a sale as well as ensuring that I know the product that is being sold.
Pros
always being productive
Cons
not many shifts
Amazing place , amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 July 2018
My time working at mastermind was amazing all around. Great staff and even better management. It was always fun to go to work. We would have staff parties and events. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. Such an amazing place to work!!
Fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 June 2018
Being surrounded by all the toys is amazing you also get to demo a lot of the toys for the customers and seeing the kids smiles after they buy a toy is just priceless.
Pros
How happy people look after walking in
Cons
Always on your feet
Good managements and co workers. Customers were the biggest issue.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario3 June 2018
For most part, I really enjoyed my time at mastermind. The managements and my fellow coworkers were great! The flexibility of the times table was also great, and i had no problem booking time off, or changing my availability. I also got quite a few hours. My only issue was that the nature of some of the customers was kind of rude. I was dealing with a lot of difficult customers, that treated me with no respect. Don't get me wrong, I did have some good customers, but it did get to the point that i couldn't take it anymore.

On the plus side, there were multiple times where I literally just played with toys for an entire 8 hour shift.
Pros
good employee discount, great management, flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
rude customers
Busy, but comfortable.
seasonal employee (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 May 2018
The time I was working there was very hectic do to the season of operation, but that meant that I was given a lot of hours. The environment had a certain levity to it, after all it was a toy store. When unloading merchandise you were given the freedom to play music through an ipod dock, which made the work much more enjoyable.
Fun place to work with a quick environment.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 May 2018
As a seasonal worker my main role was to prepare for and work during the holiday season. This prompted for a quick, fun and engaging work environment. I learned how to multitask very well and how to deal with more than one customer at a time.
fun place if you love toys, and screaming kids
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 April 2018
I worked for Mastermind Toys for 4 years, I really enjoyed my job and all the toys and staff. This company does help you a lot if you want to advance and become shift lead or manager. I believe with the work that is involved and the negative comments you have to take from customers that the hourly wage should be higher than minimum wage.

Management is good with training and showing staff the right way to do things, at times they can be very condescending and a bit rude but other wise very helpful. I recommend this job mostly for students and a first job place not as a lasting career as they don't offer benefits and the pay isn't much of an increase when you move up to a shift lead to deal with nasty customers and the responsibility that go with that title.

This was my first toy related career but I have noticed that customers are meaner and nastier when it comes to a toy for there kids, sad cause usually the kids are very laid back compared to there parents. I would say that the stress of negative customers really was hard to deal with for me and part of the reason I left, its not just at Christmas but year round.

The fact to that after Christmas you are lucky if you even get one shift a week, which is very hard when this is your only source of income.
Pros
fun staff, great training, fun seeing new toys, discount in store, flexible hours
Cons
angry customers, low hours in low season, staff favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastermind Toys. Our community is ready to answer.