Mastermind Toys Employee Reviews

it wasn't horrible
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 April 2018
this wasn't my favourite place to work. the days were long and slow with not much to do and the kids that came into the store were always screaming and crying and peeing on the floor.
Pros
people are nice
Cons
kids screaming
fun and happy atmosphere
cashier and reloading stock (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2018
typical day at work depended on what position you were given for that shift which could've been sales associate, cashier or refilling stock. The management system there was efficient and worked well. Workplace culture was great everyone was friendly and everyone helped each other out. Hardest part of the job was around Christmas it would get very busy and for a little store it would get really messy so keeping up with the customers would be the hardest part. Most enjoyable part of the job would be trying out the new toys that come in so that you can help customers when theyre looking for toys with specific characteristics.
Pros
good managment
A Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON17 April 2018
I started as a seasonal a few years ago and found during that very busy holiday season how important it is to bring enthusiasm and a willingness to learn to a new experience. At Mastermind, this was easy. The training was good, the management was great and took a strong role in everything about the store, and the customers made the crazy pace worth it all above all else.
Now, as a regular employee, the customers are still my favourite part, but the staff (including management) also go from strength to strength. It is a solid, enthusiastic and fun team. This is the best retail experience I have had.
Pros
Great and fun work environment
Cons
Be prepared for crowds at Christmas. (This is not necessarily a 'con', just be prepared.)
Fun workplace for any age
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON31 March 2018
On a regular one is just maintaining the store (fixing the products, making stands look presentable etc), there is a schedule where all employees rotate in positions such as cash, door greeter, wrapper for gifts, on the floor helping customer and taking out stock. I learned lots of communication skills, time management skills, hospitality skills, and over patience with customers. The management was very organized and the workplace culture is very diverse and welcoming to new cultures. the hardest part of the job is that if no one can take your shift you must go in and it's quite hard when one has an important situation to take care of and no one will cover up for you. Overall the job is very enjoyable, welcoming, you feel like you have known everyone there that works, for years.
Pros
Manager is very considerate, flexible hours
Cons
wages for students is quite low
Fun and supportive workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON21 March 2018
I learned valuable communication skills with customers and coworkers. I learned how to cash people out and open and close tills. A typical day consisted of an opening meet and rotations on the floor, wrapping and cash.
Pros
got to play with toys
Cons
boring at times
Fun workplace full of smiling faces
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 March 2018
A typical day at work would be restocking, cleaning and selling products.

I learned how to up-sell products.

Management was always fun to work with. They always had smiles on their faces. They took care of employees and made sure we understood how to do everything.

The hardest part of the job was the weekends. It was our busiest time and the line up of people was huge.

The most enjoyable part of the job was restocking and organizing.
Pros
Flexible hours, great managers, fun/friendly environment
Cons
Not a lot of shifts
Fun place to work, great work life/balance and plenty of support.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, Sask11 March 2018
My experience with Mastermind Toys has been fun and rewarding. The customer base is friendly and excitied to comeback in on a regular basis. You get to know the customers of a first name basis and are able to get involved in the community inside and outside the store. I highly recommend Mastermind Toys.
Pros
New products constantly coming in. Ability to be creative. Fun environment
Everday new product arrives.
Shift Leader- Part (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 February 2018
A typical day at work means providing excellent customer service to our special customers. We get to play and experiment with our product to build a product knowledge database. Our management team strives to create a fun, energetic, positive atmosphere. The motto is have fun and others will too. We do not satisfy our customers, we form relationships that last.
Pros
Christmas gifts to all staff.
Cons
Store was great for kids
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 February 2018
Typical day was to stock shelves all day and help customers find certain items

Culture was a happy one because children were always number one.

Hardest part of the job was constantly stocking shelves during Christmas time.

Most enjoyable part was seeing kids run around and be kids.
Pros
help children be happy
Cons
monotone type job, stocking shelves
Friendly workplace environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2018
Mastermind Toys has become my second home. I have been employed there since before it opened in 2015. I have learned how to communicate better with all ages and understand what the customer is looking for. A typical day at work is basically clocking in, throwing on my apron, heading out to the floor to check my tasks for the day. I am normally main cash. There really isn't a hard or difficult part of a job. If you can't deal with a super fast paced, crowded environment, then Mastermind Toys is not for you. The fast pace during busy season has to be my favourite time of year. It gives me the chance to show my experience through my management skills for the other associates even though we are all at equal position. The whole environment is super fun and friendly. The staff will become your second family!!
Fun work environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON4 February 2018
Mastermind was a seasonal job. It was always fun as the staff were all friends. Management was the best at this job. I would wrap gifts and stock shelves.
Fun workplace but no opportunity for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2018
I've been with the company for about four years now but have yet to see a raise besides an increase in minimum wage. During your annual review you get told you will receive a small raise, but it just so happens to not take effect until September. Minimum wage goes up in October every year and instead of getting your small raise added on to the new minimum, they just start you at the new minimum again. This is a great environment to work in and most of the full time employees have become good friends. The management team is great and they communicate well with staff.

The only down side I have ever experienced is when they hire temporary staff for Christmas. For example at my location some 16 year old kid (who has no previous experience) started at the same hourly wage as me even though I have been with the company for years.

It's a great place to work for your first job, if you live at home and have no bills to pay. But if you expect to be compensated for your loyalty and work ethic, look somewhere else.
Pros
Staff discount. Friendly staff
Cons
minimum wage increasing is your only "raise"
Not good.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON3 February 2018
Hostile environment, no chance of advancement, lack of hours besides around Christmas, manager likes to single out individual employees and yell at them for no apparent reason.

Worked seasonally but had seen enough, would not have wanted to join the permanents if they asked.

Avoid.
Great Starting Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2018
Being one of my first jobs, working at Mastermind Toys is one of the best places to work at while still in high school. It isn't overly demanding, and it's a great way to enter the workforce. The typical day involved simple tasks that anyone would expect from working at a toy store, which is helping people out on the sales floor, working the cash register, and wrapping gifts for people. Yes, it did become busy (especially near Christmas), but you would get used to it easily. All of my coworkers were really friendly as well as the managers, and the environment was very casual. Honestly, the worst part of the job was just some strange customers that couldn't understand simple concepts, like how the cash register worked, although I only got yelled at once by an old, grumpy lady. Otherwise, even the customers were respectful and made the job so much better.
Pros
Expired candy to eat, toys
Cons
Old ladies yelling
Best job ever!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 January 2018
This is honestly the best job I have ever had. The management is amazing, so honest and good to us. The CEO is an absolute doll. I never want to leave this place, so much fun all the time!
Very good experience and a very productive workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 January 2018
This was my first official job, I enjoyed it very much. it opened my eyes to how much communication is needed. I liked the way everyone felt welcomed and always helped one another if needed. A typical day at work would be helping parents find the perfect gift for their children or helping them make up their mind on which gift to get. I learned how to do cash, answer the phone and also help costumers find what they were looking for. The most difficult part of my job was to get used to where everything was, as the store is big and filled with toys. On the other hand I loved to make the little kids smile and ensure that they were happy I loved getting compliments on how helpful I am. Working there was a great experience for me.
Amazing
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS6 January 2018
such an amazing workplace, Super friendly staff with amazing management. They are all so focused on their work and always are willing too help out newer staff. Best job by far!!
Pros
Friendly staff, amazing products, Kind management.
Cons
Productive environment of workplace and appreciate all employees
Recent experience --Web packaging (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 January 2018
I learned many things over there like order picking , gift wrapping, and order packing with all the data entries in computer. The all Christmas toys are so good and cute.
In addition to that I loved to work there because the staff was so supportive in nature. And that was the best Christmas season's fun work I ever had.
Pros
less hours
Cons
three breaks
Fun workplace and enjoyable interaction
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
I would start off my day happy and end my day happy. Workplace was very child friendly, rarely had angry customers, most times we did was near Christmas, with frustrated parents. Enjoyable times were wrapping the presents for the parents, and interacting with them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Size; very small
Unprofessional
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2017
The downfall of this company is that they are completely unprofessional when it comes to dealing with concerns brought to their attention. They pride themselves on keeping information confidential, but when a serious issue is brought to their attention, they converse with everyone and anyone until they eventually sweep it under the rug.

When it comes to employees opinions, they are never relevant. They keep managers that are unfit for the job, even after several complaints were made, including complaints to their head office. The company constantly pressures you to be perfect disregarding serious issues that should be addressed to the higher power.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastermind Toys. Our community is ready to answer.