Massage Heights

Canada69 reviews

Clear
2.6Pay & benefits

heighttherapistmembershipsaleclientdiscountcarestaff

Management does not have your back

Some locations are apparently better than others. Don’t work at Beltline. The manager is lazy, incompetent and should never have been promoted. If you want to work in a commission based company and pay a fortune in parking, this is the location for you. Customers are rude, you get a schedule for the next month maybe in the last day of the month, your schedule is subject to change with no notice and if you want to suggest improvements you will either be denoted or have your hours cut. Only nice thing about this job is a discount t in massages and merchandise.

Fun/Rewarding for sales driven people

I was reading a few of these reviews and it puzzles me some of the negative things that are said. I have been working at MH over a year, and the company was very clear from the time I was hired that my role was in sales and customer service. A lifestyle consultant is responsible for doing an assessment/consulations with new guests, and from there we find the best membership that works for them. If you don't like a sales environment, then you won't like this job, and I wouldn't recommend applying.This job is fun, the management is supportive, colleagues are great, and the best part is the benefits like free and discounted massage, a discount for lululemon, paid gym membership. The owners are cool and often come to the Retreat to visit which you don't get at a lot of other companies. They also just raised the pay for all employees so earning is pretty good too. Overall I would definitely recommend massage heights to anyone who is great in customer service and sales.

Insights into Massage Heights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Excellent company to work for

Massage Heights is an incredible company to work for. The benefits are above any employer I have experienced. The pay is competitive, and even additional perks are beyond what anyone would expect. For example, we get 50% off lululemon, an Employee Assistance Program, a "self-care" fund (literally, they pay for your gym membership), a competitive benefits program.. the list goes on. Not only that, but the company works to train you properly. Expectations are clear, continued education is offered regularly, and there is not question on level of performance as feedback is provided consistently. 10/10 would recommend Massage Heights to any of my friends or family. Only wish we had more locations so that more people could be a part of this team.

Pros

lululemon discount, Eap, self care fund, benefits, 50% off massages, sometimes FREE massage, casual wear, vacation pay, growth/education, Fun

Cons

Sales focused can be competitive, would love more locations

Stable background work

this is a stable and predictable job, but is not an environment to grow professionally, not a good place to make a full career. good to have stability while you work to achieve your professional goals elsewhere.

Pros

you are an employee, get benefits coverage

Cons

little respect for your skills, little room for professional growth

Cattle call

They schedule people every hour, on the hour, so the customers only get 50 minute massages. Management has no idea what massage therapy is like and have very high expectations. Pay is low for the therapists ~ 20/hr.

Pros

You get a lot of experience

Cons

You get low pay for your work.

Fun workplace with great benefits

I love working for massage heights. I have been with them since March of 2020 and am so impressed with the management and all of my coworkers. I always look forward to coming to work every day because the people I work with have become great friends to me. I know how appreciated I am because I am constantly told. Not to mention the management is excellent and really cares about all of their staff!

Pros

Benefits for full time employees

Pretty okay place to work

Enjoyed the time spent here, not terrible and possibility to travel to other locations and meet new people sometimes stressful for sales but pretty good otherwise

Fun place to work

Massage Heights is a great place to work! Career advancements, self care, career care, association reimbursement yearly. Benefits, FULLY BOOKED SCHEDULE ALWAYS!! Team becomes family! The hardest part is that you must be great at time management while at work as it is fast paced but that makes the day go quickly!

Pros

fully booked schedule, reimbursement, benefits

Not worth your education

This company is a joke and an embarrassment to the massage therapist profession. All RMT's do your profession a favor and don’t support these money hungry companies. They don’t care about you, your education, or the industry all together. It’s all about pushing clients to spend their hard earned money and paying you minimal wages as an RMT.

This company is only in for the money

From the 2 years I’ve worked with this company there was only a 2 dollar raise and half under going rate in the industry. Way too low especially if they charge 70-100 an hour. They are not flexible with hours and the retreat manager that I worked with had no idea about massage therapy. Scheduling breaks is a nightmare. The only great thing was the massage therapists I’ve worked with.

Pros

Friendly massage therapists

Cons

Everything else

na

good company for starting out, not for long term though. Not a great pay structure but the tips are good from clients. over worked though and not enough time to properly assess clients

bad managment

worked there for 2 years. things were unorganized. if management had friends thats where the benefits and promotions went to. no recognition for hard work being done. i was constantly asked to come in early, leave late and pick up shifts for people. ended up having panic attacks about going to work. i could go on but its not worth my time. worst job of my life.

Pros

get massages for hitting sales goals

Cons

everything else

wouldnt recommend

Therapists are expected to work long hour (sometimes 6-7 days a week) Management guilt trips you if you are not fully booked, sick or need a day off They claim to give you vacation time, but then expect the employee to find people to cover the shifts you will miss The pay is FAR below industry standard (70-30 split, 70 going to the company not the therapist) Therapists receive a commission for add-ons, requests, and new members signing up, but you have to dillegently check your paycheque to ensure that you are actually receiving all of your commissions

Pros

You are an employee so you do recieve minimum wage if you have open appointments

Cons

Over worked, underpaid, no respect, treated like you are expendable

Horrible management with pay that you can barely live off of with long hours.

The management is horrible, treats you like you're nothing to them. The pay is ridiculously low for how much work you have to do within that job that they do not tell you within training and interview.

Pros

massage discounts

Cons

long hours, small pay, no breaks

Poor, poor company to work for

I have worked for Massage Heights for a couple months, and it has been awful. I'm usually the type of person who will stay at their job for years, but this one doesn't make the cut. Management is less than mediocre - they always leave the retreat early, nor do they work at the front desk with their associates like they are supposed to. If a confliction arises, they are always quick to judge and do not always ask both stories beforehand. There is literally ZERO opportunity to move up within the company, especially because they don't really have any new retreats opening up and anyone moving in to new positions. The pay is awful. $13/hour. You are a receptionist AND a sales associate, not including all of the other tasks that you need to do during your shift. They do however give hourly bonuses if your retreat has a high appointment booking percentage, but it is extremely unfair that it is not based on performance. Your hours are also not guaranteed. Even if you were hired as a full-time associate, it will be less than 30 hrs/week They do not do performance reviews or raises, which is definitely a must if they want to see any staff retention.

Pros

Discount on massage and prodict

Cons

Poor pay, awful management, no room for advancement

High pressure sales and hundreads of phone calls

Wonderful staff. Very quiet environment...non challenging and consisted of the same thing every single day! Limited growth, no pay increases...except with commision. Alot of pressure to sell memberships. Very non stressful otherwise...quite boring really. Upper management is inexperienced which created ridiculous processes and new rules regularly. Pay is minimum and hours are all over the place.

Pros

You can earn a free massage if you reach your membership quota

Cons

Disorganized and transparent...definately not an authentic company

Fun happy environment; needs more support for staff

a typical day at work consisted of opening the store, checking the till balance is still at 200. Then the lights music get turned on. Set up the files for the massage therapists. Then as guests come in for their massage you must speak with them and get an idea of what their needs are and how we can best help them feel better. collect all payments of services rendered. as new guest come in for their massage you must attempt find out if the guest is interested in coming for massage more regularly then attempt to make a membership sale. Then you must do call calls to confirm appointments for the next day. make next day, 3 month, and 6 month call backs to guests who haven't booked back in and check how the massage experience was for them. Then you hand make all receipts for the next day and pull all files as well. you file all files from the current day as the day goes on. What I learned was how to work on my own even when it is busy and still get everything finished and done properly. my co-workers were amazing and work hard but there simply was not enough staff to get everything done in time and still make enough sales and focus enough energy on clients needs. I would say that is the hardest part of the job is fighting for more support from the company. the best part of the job was the fact you get to meet a lot of nice people and form friendships with your guests, all while helping them lead a more healthy lifestyle.

Pros

Massage benefits

Cons

unpaid lunches and full time hours is only 32 a week

good environment for therapists to work in.

Swedish Massage;Deep Tissue;Hot Stone Massage; Warm atmosphere with true camaradarie amongst professional team members

Pros

Ergonomic work environment including hydraulic massage tables

Cons

lower salary

Make your own hours

Great place to work if you like being busy. Flexible hours, great team, you choose how many massages you want to do in a day, clients are booked for you without you needing to find your own clientele, and you can be hired after your 1st year of massage school. Commission for massages at the beginning is $12.50/30 minute $25/60 min, $37.50/90 min $50/2 hours. Downfalls- -if you do not have an appointment then you make an hourly rate, which is minimum wage. The company pays you the higher of the two-your commissions from massaging, OR your hourly rate for the amount of hours you worked. Ex: If you work a 7 hour shift, but you only have two 1 hour massages ($50 in commission), then you only get paid your minimum hourly rate, because it is more than you made in commission for the 2 massages you did.. $10.20 x7 hours=$71.40. Although rare that you only have 2 massages in your day, it does happen from time to time. -Clients can not show up for their appointment 3 times before they get charged. If they don't show up, or if they cancel last minute, you don't get paid the commission. Added bonus's- If a client requests you as a therapist you get an additional $3 added to your commission, hot stones-additional $5, foot scrub and cold stone face massage-add $3 for each Full benefits after 3 months Pay Raises and awards for high performance, and after you reach a certain amount of massage hours with the company

Very very busy retreat

Very busy retreat, lots of repeat clients but the salary not the best.

Pros

Provide laundry and materials

Cons

I choose to work 12 hour shifts

not great place

when requesting a raise in pay the company didnt want to give it ti the therpist ...they require you to provide ur own insurance so that they can us it so they can make money off of u ...the managament is disorganized an dosnt now how to treat ther employee right or treat ther therpist right

Pros

great equipment to work with

Cons

they dont pay u enuf

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Heights. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement