MARYMOUND

MARYMOUND Employee Reviews

Great workplace culture and well managed. High level of fulfillment supporting youth who are experiencing mental health or psychosocial crisis or living in residential managed care. I have worked on all units and in all group homes and find each to have their own particular culture and methods. Management is excellent, understanding and responsive. Coworkers are supportive and debrief often which helps to reduce the stress associated with this type of work. There is opportunity for advancement and the organization tends to hire internally if possible. Training is provided and there is access to some well known speakers and workshops. Staff share meals with the youth and are welcome to share leftovers. The youth are the most rewarding aspect of the job as employees build relationships with the youth and become a large part of their lives. There is a strong cultural identity to Marymound and cultural activities are available to youth and employees. Diverse work environment with positive ethics, values etc. Staff work as a team and manage situations with professionalism.
Pros
Strong management, rewarding work, workplace culture, supportive staff teams
Cons
Overtime and short staffing can be challenges
Challenging work life balance as admin have no end to tasks to address. I would suggest that the priorities need to be reevaluated lots of workplace violence terrible retention rates well intentioned staff
Working at Marymound is always fun. Helping the kids is important and every day is always different. The work culture is very conducive, There is opportunity to grow and improve skills. The management team is very supportive of staff.
It was a great place to work but can be very stressful at times.
They really work with your schedule when needed and everyone is very flexible to make adjustments. I loved my boss bc she seemed really sincere and caring.
Pros
Free Food
Marymound is not a company I would suggest to anyone to be employed with. After two years of employment, demonstrating strong dedication and work ethic, the support from human resources and management in the time of a personal mental health struggle was inadequate. I was not taken seriously and was told that I am a problem and had been refused to return to work. I have witnessed staff being bullied company wide on a daily basis, including staff who have been brought to tears due to the way they have been treated, and human resources will always determine no fault on any part of management. It is very misleading how policy states to approach management and human resources if there is any form of conflict to seek support. This is not at all the case. Staff are not appreciated and are seen simply as a body on the floor and someone to fill a shift. My advise would be to find a more reputable company if you are interested in the nature of Marymound.
Cons
disrespectful workplace
Clients are amazing and resilient young people who have taught me so much. Upper management floundering and quick to cover by pointing fingers to front line staff. Upper management appears to have plenty of support and front line workers have minimal, no voice, less staff to do difficult work and poorly trained staff as some programs were initiated before the ground work was laid to offer appropriate care. It can be a great place with amazing coworkers when supervisors are supported by management and the team feels supported. Great potential but a ways to go to become in line with current practices of trauma informed care.
Pros
Amazing youth & families
Cons
Minimal support and poor moral
Not enough support for full-time employees. Work load was very heavy in comparison to wages, constantly adding more and more responsibility to the employees but now wage increases. The agency as a whole was quite political which trickled down to the front line staff.
Pros
Rewarding to work with youth.
Cons
The agency is poorly managed and seems to work against the employees it replies on most.
good place to be and stay.i love marymound school it's very fun to be at work. school is very important and the hardest part of it is getting math done.
Pros
work
Cons
nothing
Worked at the Hope Centre. It was always in crisis. It was an unsupportive work culture & Very dangerous! All staff go on WCB because they all get injured! Mangement promotes butt kissers and gossips about all the staff. No room to move up.
Pros
free food
Cons
Very Dangerous workplace
Working a marymound was a good experience. Amazing supervisor. Understanding management. The team worked extremely well together. Definately a good experience
I would think very carefully before working at Pelliter Hope Centre. Horrible program supervisor and senior staff. Master manipulators, will lie to your face and go out of their way to back Stab you! Staff schedules are made based on favoritism. Program supervisor team never on floor and hangs out in office gossiping all day about staff. No room to move up, unsafe work environment, etc!
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Horrible management, management gossips and lies to your face
Working at Victoria Hospital is a dream of mine. I have volunteered in almost each unit over the past eight years and have a fair understanding of patient care. I enjoy staff's professional out look and compassionate behavior towards staff .
It was a super learning experience which I would recommend to anyone first getting into the work force.They teach you a lot and you learn to work. Overall it is worth checking out.
Marymound is a very good place to work. its has very strong job culture. Everyone is woring with passion, positive attitude. The job is also very meaningful. it is also about supporting the kids and family sho is in need.
Worked with youth in crisis. Celebrated their accomplishments and provided them with a safe space to stay while they sorted out their crises. Overnight shifts were taxing on my family and I had to seek day time opportunities.
Pros
Feeling like you make a difference
Cons
Overnight shifts
The workplace revolves around making sure every ones needs are met and that includes culture too. The staff are also chosen to give a diverse work environment that is inclusive to everyone.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Pretty much every door is locked
ive learned to work with others, became more interest in learning new things , enjoyed the summer job, i love the out doors i enjoy working , want more experience and more opportunitys
Pros
good experience
Cons
sun burn
Beware of favouritism from Supervisor when it comes to shifts and task assigning. Supervisor is completely unprofessional and will gossip about you. When/if you let the supervisors management know, the supervisor will punish you by giving you horrible shifts. Supervisor does not appropriately train their employees. Instead spends their days fixing incident reports to make it sound less bad. Supervisor will openly gossip about employees in front of other employees and even the youth. Supervisor will do whatever they can to remain close friends with her "inner circle", which means ignoring other staff when they have complaints about her Favorites. BEWARE! A place you would like to work for the experience, however not worth the gossip and unprofessionalism from the supervisor.
Pros
Good wage, enjoyed working with the girls
Cons
Horrible supervisors, gossiping, favouritism
In past management has allowed girls to go sleep at male staffs apartments and not do anything about it. My supervisor left out a huge knife and didn't report it and I had to wrestle it away from a resident. To cover themselves the supervisor changed my IR to say it was only a plastic butter knife. We I approached higher ups about the false report, was punished with horrible hours.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Staff are not supported, girls are at risk.
I enjoy spending time learning about youth and where they are in life. I enjoy trying to teach them, I love teaching Native Cultural stuff. A day with one of my respite children can be very challenging at the same time very rewarding. I expect the child into my home and spend quality time with him/her, we bake, do crafts,play street hockey, go to plays and so on.
Pros
Getting a smile and hearing a child say "thanks"
Cons
Having to write an Incident Report