Mary Browns Employee Reviews

Was food service
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 May 2019
not much to say the people I worked with were great but it was food and the area was terrible felt very disconnected from the owners and like the store itself was forgotten
Decent job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitbourne, NL10 May 2019
Decent fast food job, long, hard, dangerous work. A typical day is working fast to get your work done in time but the employees were nice people and you will learn how to work fast.
Pros
Small discount on food
Cons
Long, hard work
Good place to work if you like people and cooking
Supervisor - Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 May 2019
If you like people and cooking, Mary Browns could be a good place for you to have as your first job. The people i worked with were friendly and helpful.
Had a good time while it lasted
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL3 May 2019
I had a really good time there I never really learned a lot because I never really got a chance to do much because I am in school and it affected what can bring to the table
Pros
Gets your lunch free
Cons
Can't take lunch home or you would get excused of stealing
not very satisfied with the pay
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 May 2019
staff is very good and helpful but the owner interferes in our work. customers are also very understanding. learned a lot of things like customer relationship.
Pros
cooperating staff members
Cons
not getting any lunches
Thought this was a great job.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS1 May 2019
Started out great. Owner in Sackville is not someone who really understood the mechanics of the operation of the restaurant. Despite owning several locations the owner is clueless how to keep staff happy. Unhappy staff cause unhappy customers. Good luck to you if you go down the path of Scarry Browns!
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Horrible management
workplace
Cashier/ Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 April 2019
pretty good I got along well with co-workers, it got boring some times due to nothing to do but otherwise. I learned the different types of chicken parts. hardest part was closing I always had to stay later than closing time. most enjoyable part of working there was goofing around with co workers.
I loved my job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manuels, NL28 April 2019
Here i was manager. I was responsible for ordering, Payroll. Hiring and firing. Stocking taking. Inventory. Customer sevice. Food prep. Order taking. cash. Cash balancing.
Then reason i left was because i developed blood clots on my lungs and was required to take 18 mgs of warfin a day. Where i was required to use sharp knives and cutters and also cook my chances of getting a cut and bleeding out were high.
Pros
i had great work hours and a good pay
Cons
Didn't enjoy firing people
Not the best - work somewhere else if you can
Cashier and front attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2019
Okay, this place isn't the worst but definitely not the best. 50 to 60 hour weeks, no overtime pay, no scheduled breaks (take them when you're not busy... which is ALWAYS) and no guaranteed days off. Management is a serious joke, customers are always SUPER rude and you're definitely not paid enough for the stuff they ask you to do.
Pros
50% staff discount while on shift
Cons
Literally everything else.
Fun place to work. Just badly managed
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS21 March 2019
It was a fun work environment. The employees were very nice and welcoming it was an easy place to fit in. The training was not the best and the management I found was run very poorly. Other then that it is not a bad spot.
Pros
Good shifts and discounts
Cons
Bad management
fun place to work
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 March 2019
I genuinly loved the management at the MB that i worked at. They really did seem to care about the staff and customers. Working at the only on in my city meant that i saw alot of people from the east coast which made me happy
Pros
good food
management was preety good
Mary Browns (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 March 2019
my working place was busy on weekdays. I learned from that workplace that management at working place is important. There was cleanliness at the workplace.
customer service job
Customer Service/ Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 January 2019
Great owner, giving breaks and time off if needed for personal reasons.

Discounts on Mary browns products

Competitive pay compared to other CSR jobs
Mary Browns Scarborough Toronto.
Packer/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
The job its self was brilliant however the management of this store is painfully unprofessional. The staff i worked with were all friendly and very excepting of me as i was new so they made sure i was able to continue on and made me feel very welcome.
I did not however meet my manager until 2 weeks after i started and they did not pay me for the time i had worked and told me i had not been working there for the amount of time i was there.
not the best place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 January 2019
the owner only cared about herself
claimed to listen but obviously did not
obvious favoritism
no culture
hardest part was trying to work for someone who was selfish and self absorbed but didnt see it
Daily Task
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2018
I exercised customer service, communication, and office administration in contribution of team efforts and organizational improvements. Also we conduct brainstorming and coordinating efforts to achieve a common goal.
Very productive but Micromanaged
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON29 October 2018
Mary Browns was a decent place to work at. it had more downs than ups though. My shifts were 3.5 hours - 6 hour shifts, When you first clocked in for your shift you would check the whole store for cleanliness, productivity and if the previous shift worker was properly doing F.I.F.O.

I learned that cleanliness is a major part of everything, from ratings to just basic work.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Micromanaged
Mb
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON17 October 2018
I was very disappointed with the staff maturity level, there was always drama and young high school students working and calling in sick. I did not like the manager either.
Horribly owned/managed
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 October 2018
I was never given any t4 slips while working there and afterwards had to harass the manager to receive them. Hours were constantly changed and inconsistent. Was harassed/hit on on multiple occasions by two other employees, and the rest of the family who owned that store were not understanding and not caring of employees or their life situations.
N/a
Supervisor/Cashier/Back of House (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, NS3 October 2018
Can be stressful but not too bad with the right people. Always a good day when things run smoothly and love hearing customers compliment the hard work and good food.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
seems understaffed at times