Marshalls Employee Reviews

Found 206 reviews matching the search See all 6,859 reviews
Nice people, Great management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON13 March 2019
Marshall's is my first job. I didn't know what to expect going into a job. But all of my co-workers made me feel welcome. They are all fun to be around. Managers are great and fun to talk to, but they make sure that you are working and doing your job and not just slacking off. I couldn't have worked with a better group of group than at Marshall's.
Pros
Working with great people
Pleasant, welcoming work environment!
Store associate part time (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 March 2019
Wonderful place of work. Training provided, along with some treats on behalf of the company (very kind and generous). Great place to make work your family, amazing staff and management teams!
Just a decent place to work
Labourer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB2 March 2019
Working out on the store floor is the easiest part of the job. The busiest it gets is when you have to help unpack new merchandise. The work only gets tedious when security tags need to be attached to the new clothes and when the new clothes need to be put on hangers.
Pros
The jobs here are easy enough
Cons
You will get bored quickly if there is not enough to do
Cashier/ Sales Associate
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 February 2019
Difficult to get days off when required; no way of contacting management directly when you needed to. Not good for job security and supervisors were not always welcoming
Friendly place
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 February 2019
I love working for Marshalls! Everyone is so nice and it's a laid back environment but you still get your work done. Generally you put out stock, clean the store, work on cash, work in the fitting rooms and work out on the floor!
Pros
Work get togethers, free food
Lovely place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2019
I enjoyed working for this company tremendously! As it was my first job, the work experience was very beneficial and I learned a lot. As well, the employees were amazing and always there to help each other!
Great People to work with
Merchandise Coordinator/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario11 February 2019
The people who work at store level are incredible and make coming to work enjoyable. Become like a second family and are always there to support you if you seek it. Managers are always supportive and easy to talk to
Good environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2019
The management team and the coworkers are nice and there to help when in need. You get a good formation on how to work there, so approaching costumers and talking to them becomes easy.
Low pay, heavy workload, fast paced environment
Store Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2019
There's a lot of negative things to say. If you work as a part time you only get 1 or 2 shifts in a week for 4 hours a day. But they still keep on hiring people like 5-10 which i really don't get it. Honestly they pay very low for what coordinators do! Imagined, you cover your manager who always stay in the office, so you're taking calls for them, deal with the customers complain, we train new associates, we receive the truck, we do the stocks all day, do the cleaning and recovery of the items, watch for suspicious/ thieves in the store, we called for cash when there's no enough people on the floor. etc etc etc. So you always go home very very tired and exhausted. Managers always ask you to do this and that and when you finished it they don't even say thank you. They really don't appreciate all the things you do. I hope when they promote someone they should not only train them to be a good merchandiser but to be a good leader. They must learn how to approach people and not treat like a slave. Their salary is not enough for doing all the things that is very imposibble sometimes. The only positive in working here is that you always meet new people, and you meet some customers that are very nice, and seeing new products. THAT'S IT!
Pros
meet new people
Cons
no extra pay for overtime
Decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 January 2019
Worked here almost 2 years, I basically got fired for handing in my 2 weeks. Turnover high, you lose your yearly raise to minimum wage increases so you always make as much as someone who is new. I worked here throughout high school and they worked me 5 days a week even though I said 3 max shifts per week. Management is good with time off but sucks to work with as they always try to nag you for different things
Pros
Good break
Cons
Snotty management
Not bad, not great
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC28 January 2019
the place was just as expected. you come in do your job and leave. management was tough but fair. The scheduling would often be not too great. The staff there is treated well.
Amazing staff and satisfied customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON24 January 2019
Best management, very understanding and supportive
Friendly coworkers displaying great team work
Abundant hours
Job includes tiding the store, providing effective customer service, being a cashier and a fitting rooms associate
not the best
Store Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2019
was extremely ill-managed, and poorly run. There was little to no communication between the managers and there were always scheduling problems. The co-workers were the only good thing about the job
Coworkers were the only good thing about the job
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2019
At this job, many others as well as myself were mistreated by management and some coordinators. We also were told many contradictory things when working there from one coordinator to the next, a very disorganized store and managers.
Cons
Managment
marshalls
PART-TIME ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  barrie ontario6 January 2019
My favourite job through the summer became the Fitting Room. It’s defiantly a job that requires you to interact with a people. Starting with a smile and a hello and asking how they day is going or making conversation with them is a great way to make a customer feel welcome. This is also a job that requires a lot of work to keep the area clean and organized and running smoothly.
worst job ever
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK5 January 2019
The managers are completely horrendous. The GM is a horrible person. she be littles you and makes you feel absolutely low about yourself. she is not the type of people person. she has yelled employees infront of customers and even have yelled at customers for little things. Multiple complaints have been filed about her and nothing has been done. she also makes you feel bad for having mental health issues. if you have self esteem issues or anxiety I DO NOT recommend working here.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
the Manager
Miserable and undesirable job
Cashier, Kitchener (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 December 2018
Management made this the very worst of all my jobs. Not to mention this was also my first job and there is nothing positive I can honestly say about my employment with this company.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
everything else
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 December 2018
You start you day with your assigned duties and help out customers with any issues regarding their shopping experience. Usually on the weekends and holidays its gets very busy. But overall I enjoyed working there.
Its an okay company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 December 2018
A regular work day is receiving truck & ensuring the product is put put out on the sales floor at a certain time standard. Managers come and go depending on the location. The best thing about that job is the people you meet.
Pros
The staff
Cons
Great place to work... Part time.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2018

To start, the availability is flexible. That is when you make it in moderation. They will follow your availability but will get mad if you have to change it frequently, even when its completely valid management STILL gets angered and will even force you to make it more available. Work is tiring, very tedious and sometimes stressful. That said its nothing too complicated, mostly cleanup and stocking, but when you are juggled between cashier, washroom clean and customer service, a simple "clean up" may take over an hour. Most of the time the store is understaffed, even though they hire so many associates and then give no hours, resulting in a high new employee turnover.

You get 10% off and sometimes 20 on certain weekends throughout the year. Nothing special... Other than that if your part-time there's nothing more.

Nothing to really say as I'm currently only part-time and don't plan on going further with this company. But from what I've heard there's hardly anything, as many coordinators struggle to get a manager position.

When I first started, management was really good, but now its nothing short of a clumsy mess. As I said before management HATES when you adjust your availability, they will often ask you to change it or in some cases even put your job on the line which is just unacceptable. Some management teams also HATE when you call in sick and will go a mile just so you can come into work. They will actually offer to pay for a cab to get you to work which is just too much.
  more... But some management teams don't make it a discussion and will accept the request. Management often puts a huge workload on the employees and expect that work to be done in a very little time frame to account for getting called for backup, washroom cleanups, merchandise breaking, customer service, and price checks. and then often try and the staff for it. They sometimes also make closing shifts absolute suffering, being understaffed nothing ever gets done during the day and the people closing have to suffer by staying late, with no extra break.

The only things that really kept me at my job. I love the people and the people I work with really make me happy with where I work. People you can interact with whether you're in high school or if you just got out of university. Plus the summer gatherings are usually really fun. To finalize, the associates run the store more as a family than a business
Pros
People you work with, 10% discount, cozy work environment
Cons
Iffy management, heavy workload, many restrictions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marshalls. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K