Marshalls Employee Reviews

Found 189 reviews matching the search See all 6,548 reviews
Great place to work... Part time.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2018

To start, the availability is flexible. That is when you make it in moderation. They will follow your availability but will get mad if you have to change it frequently, even when its completely valid management STILL gets angered and will even force you to make it more available. Work is tiring, very tedious and sometimes stressful. That said its nothing too complicated, mostly cleanup and stocking, but when you are juggled between cashier, washroom clean and customer service, a simple "clean up" may take over an hour. Most of the time the store is understaffed, even though they hire so many associates and then give no hours, resulting in a high new employee turnover.

You get 10% off and sometimes 20 on certain weekends throughout the year. Nothing special... Other than that if your part-time there's nothing more.

Nothing to really say as I'm currently only part-time and don't plan on going further with this company. But from what I've heard there's hardly anything, as many coordinators struggle to get a manager position.

When I first started, management was really good, but now its nothing short of a clumsy mess. As I said before management HATES when you adjust your availability, they will often ask you to change it or in some cases even put your job on the line which is just unacceptable. Some management teams also HATE when you call in sick and will go a mile just so you can come into work. They will actually offer to pay for a cab to get you to work which is just too much.
  more... But some management teams don't make it a discussion and will accept the request. Management often puts a huge workload on the employees and expect that work to be done in a very little time frame to account for getting called for backup, washroom cleanups, merchandise breaking, customer service, and price checks. and then often try and the staff for it. They sometimes also make closing shifts absolute suffering, being understaffed nothing ever gets done during the day and the people closing have to suffer by staying late, with no extra break.

The only things that really kept me at my job. I love the people and the people I work with really make me happy with where I work. People you can interact with whether you're in high school or if you just got out of university. Plus the summer gatherings are usually really fun. To finalize, the associates run the store more as a family than a business
Pros
People you work with, 10% discount, cozy work environment
Cons
Iffy management, heavy workload, many restrictions
Very hectic and confusing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 November 2018
I like TJX companies but this store was a wreck, we never finished the time that your schedule says, either 30 to an hour and 30 minutes extra, time changes were constant in the store without being spoken about, always messy.
Pros
occasional free lunches, discount cards at all TJX Companies
Cons
tests and quizzes
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2018
I worked with Marshalls for 2 years I enjoyed my time as an employee with the company my overall experience was amazing. I was a cashier and I also worked on the sales floor cleaning, merchandising and I helped create eye catching features to WOW customers. I developed and improved many skills while working with the company. My communication skills, organization skills, fast workplace environment skills, safe workplace environment skills were all greatly improved. The company teaches their employees to value their customers also the workplace and their own work. They allow you to share ideas that you have that may improve the store and the sense of satisfaction of creating management approved ideas is amazing. Once you start working with the company the passion will come.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
nothing
Productive, fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
Marshall's was an excellent company to work for. I am very glad I was able to work for such an amazing company as my first job! I learned many different things, and faced challenges, but my colleagues and management were very helpful and made it a positive experience for me.
Pros
Friendly staff
busy, fun workplace!
Cashier/Custumer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 November 2018
each day was a little different, but the work place was enjoyable. I really enjoyed working with the people i worked with and the night shifts were a blast. Each day was a new day to learn from my coworkers and i got to meet some nice customers. all around great experience.
Emotionally and Physically Draining
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON5 November 2018
Maximum work for minimum wage. I’ve worked in many retail stores but Marshall’s by far is the most physically demanding. Because Marshall’s receives full trucks of new merchandise every single day, employees are responsible for recieving items and placing them in the warehouse (early am shifts), and cramming thousands of items on already full shelves all while maintaining the store and being called constantly for back up on cashier and fitting rooms. Working cashier is great but being on the floor is exhausting.

In terms of the culture/work environment, it really varies depending on the store. My experience wasn’t horrendous but I still felt emotionally drained and unmotivated coming to work. Some of the staff are really nice, while others are plain rude and talk down to you. There was no one I really clicked with because I found it difficult to have a real conversation in the midst of robotic super cheery personalities or rude old women. I felt under appreciated by the staff for all the work I did. Because there are SO many part time workers, expect to have little,inflexible hours and be treated like just another body. No benefits whatsoever and horrible employee discount (10% off.)

Overall, I wouldn’t recommend.
Pros
Good for students who want minimum hours
Cons
Limited and inflexible hours, Fake people, No benefits, Bad employee discount, hard work
nil
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2018
Very less hours of work. Rude management, Management is not co operative. Water is not available in lunch room. Schedule is not flexible.
Lower wage. Minimum wage, maximum work expectations
Pros
nil
Cons
poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 October 2018
At Marshalls I came to learn what it means to contribute to a team effort, and how to approach customers with questions. The management was understanding, yet demanding in a way that made me want to actually meet them.
amazing employees but horrible management
Excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 September 2018
I loved working there my first few months but once we got new management the store became a mess and management never appreciated the amount of hardwork we did. They eventually began to become very moody and non-communicative which is the reason as to why I left. My fellow work associates were amazing and they were the main reason as to why I did not want to leave.
Pros
work associates
Cons
moody management
Simple job, pretty fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 September 2018
This is one of the best jobs I've ever worked. Training was great and management is always offering support and touching base with staff. It's an easy job, mainly cleaning and putting stock out as well as being on cash.
Pros
Easy, fun, great management and training
Cons
No wifi in break room, difficult customers, occasional rude coordinator
great place to work
Cashier & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 September 2018
As long as I know everyone was awsome at this place. Manager's was very friendly and helpful. Never had problem with anyone. I would like to work it again.
productive and challenging
COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 September 2018
TJX is a wonderful place to work if you are a dedicated hard worker. there is lots of space for growing with the company. the most enjoyable part of the job is feeling accomplished at the end of the day.
Productive place of work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2018
Great place to work, hours given based in your availability, customers are friendly, the work environment is friendly, and there is always someone to talk to if needed!
Fast paced and challenging workplace
sales (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2018
A fun place to work in where every day is a new challenge for brain. The best thing about Marshall's is the way management has kept the workplace diverse.
Decent first job
Sales associate and cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 August 2018
This was my first job and it overall wasn't too bad. They didn't listen to my scheduling needs and being in high school made this very important and was ultimately why I left.
productive and fun place to work
Store Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2018
great workplace , more opportunities as one can grow within a company. however, there should be moreopportunities for part time workers to ehance their skills
Pros
Fun place
Cons
less part time opportunities
Wasn't what I thought it would be.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 August 2018
Working at Marshals was really hard to want to do. I would get to work and would not want to be there, lots of the workers were grumpy, lots of people slacked off and weren't doing what they should be doing. Shifts were not consistent, would get little to now hours, if i wanted to move to full time I would need to re apply for my own job. Would not recommend.
Pros
Set break times
Cons
Hours sucked
Sales Associate / Cash Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 July 2018
Worked as part time, good place to work for students. Given desire hours, more hours for old and experienced employee. Ok wages, basic salary and no benefits
ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2018
poor management, rude and disrespectful
work environment with employees were not terrible, very nice people and fun to work with

.........................
Pros
Employees
Cons
management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 July 2018
First time working in retail was at Marshalls and it was pretty good.
Spent most of time working and monitoring in the fitting rooms. All you pretty much have to do is help customers to find what they are looking for and keeping the sales floor clean.
Pros
Flexible hours and discounts.
Cons
Theres always something to clean up because customers either make a mess or misplace things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marshalls. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K