Marsh

Marsh Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
My overall work experience was great. I was allowed to work independently which showed a level of trust. There was dynamic communication so all involved in the project were onboard with what each player was doing.
senior managers and brokers were rude. Advancement is based on how well you befriend your boss. Worse type of atmosphere to work in. I wouldn't recommend working there
Constantly training
Good leadership

Great people

Good salary and benefits

Nice clean and neat environment

Nice view and modern/ intelligent building

Amazing location
Pros:
Stable global company

Fair benefits, stock options, pension

Good collaboration among team members

Company is active in charity work

Cons:

Slow to adapt and implement technology demands and appropriate training in new systems.
I once worked from 9 am to 10 pm (13 hours, which is the legal limit according to Ontario labour laws, obviously unpaid and no time off in lieu) on a Friday evening before a long weekend in order to get an accrual done for month end reporting that I received late in the day. The next business day, instead of any appreciation, I get an email saying, I quote, "A lot of time spent on X resulted in no change really to the accrual from Friday...You need to manage your time better...I am not sure you understand the importance of month end/quarter end. You advised you worked on X until 10:00 Friday. Thank you. But A, B, and I stay up until 1:00 am and beyond usually the last three day of the month and for the first and second day of the new month to ensure things get completed by the due date...you will need to improve."

First, this is against labour laws as an employer is required to give 8 hours off after 13 consecutive hours at work in a 24 hour period (ironic a insurance brokerage would put itself in a position of legal liability by putting in writing that they are breaking the law). Secondly, the person is exaggerating and/or lying because there were VERY FEW days where anyone worked until 1 am. On that day I was the last person to leave (well after they have left) and this did not happen most month ends. Third, if someone was taking month end lightly, why would they work until 10 pm unpaid overtime?

This is just one of many such incidents. For a company to claim that they have to continuously work until 1 am the last 3 days before month end means either it is inefficient
 - more...
Professional environment focused on Customer Service.
Opportunity to learn and gain experience in the largest Insurance Broker in Canada. Free to suggest and enhance procedures. Opportunity to meet great professionals like Adjusters, Lawyers, Insurers and Experts within the Insurance field.
Would work a typical 9-5 day, followed fairly standard routines but would occasionally be brought on to help in different departments. This helped to expand my knowledge of other fields that I previously was not privy to.
A typical day at Marsh is hectic
Everyday is a learning experience

Management are supportive

Work culture is great

is serving the clients
Pros
Free luncheon meetings, Staff Christmas free entertainment, +
Cons
Working hours are flexible, long hours without, No overtime pay
Loved working at Marsh, the tasks asked of our department had unnrealistic expectations for deadlines as we were the last line of defense being on the west coast.
Gastopal like leadership. No guided path. people working on complex cases that should't be. Very poor training of the junior and intermediate personnel.
Pros
Lots of leeway for certasin individuals (myself)
Cons
Very poor leadership
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Marsh?
Good exposure to contacts in the industry and large-scale clients and ability to work on large risks. Job can become repetitive over-time however, but the company offers good ability to transition into new job functions
A typical day does not always reflect what’s listed in the original job description - often involves a mixture of routine tasks and unexpected requests and occurrences.

I've learned to deal with very difficulty personalities within the office and outside.

Managers work very hard to reduce stress in the workplace by creating a healthy a healthy environment - departmental lunches and other activities for team building.

When staff are rude, impatient, unreasonable, or downright explosive.

To get noticed for all the amazing, crucial work done by myself or the team.
Pros
team building exercises
Cons
rude, impatient, unreasonable, or downright explosive staff
8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday.
I enjoyed my job and going to work and was hoping to retire at Marsh, however due to management decisions and restructuring the position was no longer available.
Friendly place to work with employees happy to come to work and management treating the employees fairly. Good team-building activities and nice offices.
Pros
strong team-building
Cons
salary
Marsh is a great place to work. Marsh culture is friendly and supportive. Marsh have a great reputation both locally &/ Globally. Great place to work
Pros
Summer Barbecues
Cons
A very demanding workplace satisfying all clients requirements
A great place to learn about the insurance industry and the different products and roles that it provides. The team environment is great and knowledgeable.
Marsh is a professionally operated multinational organization which provides many opportunities for training, development, and career advancement. There are many areas of specialization that are managed by industry leaders who are both experienced and supportive.
Enjoyed working here to sharpen my administrative skills. Learned how to use new computer programs. Great people to work with. Very helpful and understanding.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
let go due to down-sizing
Marsh is renowned Insurance Brokerage in the world. It is a huge office with different departments. Enjoyed working in this office, learnt lot customer service skills. It is a fast paced work environment.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Easy going atmosphere, very little pressure. Office culture is business casual and staff across multiple departments are very friendly. The office building is close to the downtown core and is brand new, clean, has great amenities and is only a 5-10 minute walk away from Union GO/ TTC.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Difficult to become promoted
They keep pushing senior employees out and create so much more work for the ones left behind, who aren't experienced enough to handle the accounts.

Also, the pay isn't great. A lot of my fellow employees have left and found better paying jobs elsewhere.
Pros
I get a paycheck and benefits
Cons
Long hours and unappreciative managers