Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Pure trash, but a job is a job
Housekeeper/Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 November 2017
The only thing i can think that was a positive was the people but they're no match for the massive steaming pile that was literally everything else.
There were a grand total of 4 housekeepers. 4. seriously. And most of the time we only had 3 because one of them was over at the other hotel. Getting 20-25 rooms to clean wasn't unusual. (I've even seen 31) And it's not like these were all stays either, this was a normal day.
Even with all that, they then decided to give us a management checklist. You know, a list of all the things we shouldn't have to do because it's not our job? Yea, we had to do them.
At least there was no shortage of hours.

The people really were great though. Everyone helped each other out when they finished and we all got along really well. *cough* Until they get fed up and quit within 6 months. *cough*
Pros
1$ breakfast oh wait they stopped that. Great benifits opps wait they don't know what those are.
Cons
Advancement? what does that mean? Crazy understaffed, etc
Good
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 November 2017
For the short time that I volunteered there, I'd say that it is a good place. The staff are very friendly and are close. The staff take good care of their customers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
can get very busy, especially during holidays
Difficult to get your concerns across
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 November 2017
It is often difficult if you have any concerns to get your point across to the management. Some room for growth, but you have to work hard and sell your soul.
Pros
Free staff food. Coworkers are great. Pay is fairly high
Cons
Management needs to learn how to motivate and appreciate their people
Great coworkers but stressful work
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON16 November 2017
All the reviews are quite accurate. I appreciated the training and guaranteed full-time work. I loved working with the manager in charge of my team. Actually, many of the managers I came in contact with were excellent and incredibly helpful.

I left because I felt stuck. There was a lot of talk about opportunity for advancement but, while I qualified for the next tier within less than a month out of training and consistently topped my team in sales, I was not advanced nor trained for the next tier in the 9 months I was there.

And I dreaded going to work a lot of days because there are a lot of rude customers that verbally attack you if you can not give them the answer that they want. This job is perfect for thick skinned, extroverted individuals. Just not for me.
Pros
Guaranteed hours, good managers
Cons
Verbal abuse by customers, slow advancement
alright
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Ontario11 November 2017
management is constantly changing - meaning new rules/ideas. no consistency. Good pay and great guest service agents...................................
Fun place to work
Bed Maker (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON9 November 2017
The westin, was a good environment to work in but a lot of hard work. I enjoyed my time at the Westin. From working at the westin I got a free ski pass which was really nice. The staff and people at the Westin are very kind. The most enjoyable part about working at the Westin would be after I make my beds seeing how nice they look, and how happy the guests are with my service to the Westin. It is a very pretty hotel, lots of people from all over come to stay in it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Tired
Fun place
Hotel/sales rep (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON8 November 2017
Despite what all is said about Starwood I left because I didn’t like the amount of working alone I had to do I used to be able to consult with co workers and be able to enjoy being not so much as trapped as I was there
doomed
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 November 2017
I learned many things working there but its honestly the worst company I have ever worked for. Would never recommend working there to anyone unless they like lots of politics and drama.
Cons
Bad management. no staff appreciation. Overworked and underpaid.
challenging and exciting workplace
Gardemanger Chef (Current Employee) –  The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman31 October 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is watching the individual grow and help them achieve their personal goals in carer and knowledge.

great place to learn with opportunity all over the world
If you like a fast paced job then this is for you.
Banquet House Person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2017
Fun and fast paced work environment. Thou could be challenging sometimes due to lack of people when doing set ups but if you are a non complainer type of guy then you should be fine. All in all I'm satisfied working here so far.
Housekeeping is interesting
Housekeeper/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON28 October 2017
It was a good place to work as long as you got along with all the girls. but as far as any job with as many people working in the same department under the pressure required to maintain standard could be a bit much
Positive workplace, fun coworkers and excellent benefits package
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON24 October 2017
I have worked at Marriott for 3 years as a housekeeper. The management is absolutely excellent in showing genuine care for their staff. I worked with a wonderful team.
Pros
free lunches, christmas party, low cost benefits package
Cons
long hours, physically demanding
good environment
Reservations agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON9 October 2017
good overall, good staff, good environment. my time there was good if i did not need a higher paying job i would have stayed there. the hardest part of the job was geting your stats where they needed to be
Laid back repetitive workplace
Houseperson/Housekeeping Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 October 2017
-8 hour days
-continuous repetitve work
-management was exceptional
-Hard working , positive attitude and highly enthusiastic team members.
-hardest part of the job was doing the same thing repetitively
-most enjoyable part of the job was working with really great team members.
Pros
repetitive tasks not too hard pretty straight forward
Cons
Doing the same thing each an every shift
What to expect
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 October 2017
At Fairfield, a few things you can expect are work, pleasant guests, and $1.00 all you can eat breakfast and free coffee throughout the day. There will always be hours if you want them. Moving on to the negatives; in the ten months I was there, I was never given a salary raise (even after asking after three and four months), nor was I given benefits after 6 months; they did not promote from within the company; your work schedule during the day fluctuated (you would be scheduled from 8-4 and some days wouldn't be gone until 6 or 7 (without warning)); you would be forced to work at a neighbouring hotel if an employee did not show up for work (which happened on a weekly basis, and this meant staying until 6 or 7, which is challenging if you have kids); management, in my experience, had good days and bad days. I only wish the bad days were sparse, as opposed to what they were. Most of the bad days involved staff getting pizza though so that was nice.
Pros
Inexpensive breakfast, free coffee, great co-workers, lots of hours.
Cons
Unexpected schedule changes (under 8 hours notice), no wage increase, no benefits, indifferent management
Great Place
Night Audit Supervisor/Switchboard operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2017
Good working environment, Overnight hrs, family oriented, great management, uniforms provided always. Enjoyable job, great HR team. Learning lots everyday.
Pros
Discounts on hotels
Cons
No incentives for good workers
great place to work
FRONT DESK ASSOCIATE & NIGHT AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK3 October 2017
management is knowledgeable and supportive.
well organised and attentive
I learnt almost everything due to opportunity and less supervison.
guest interaction is the best part.
Fun experience
Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 September 2017
Was fun to work here. Had lots of fun learning with the departments. Was involved in every aspect of the department because I push myself. If you don't it won't be for you.
Environnement de travail serein, efficace et courtois.
Sauveteur national - RCR (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 September 2017
Ce que j'ai appris:
o Gérer une clientèle privilégiée
o Surveillance et prévention d’accidents
o Entretien de la piscine
Productive environment with a work - life unbalance
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON22 September 2017
Start at 8 or 9, You stay until everyone on your housekeeping shift is done, you could be done your rooms ar 4pm but a coworker isnt until 9pm, you stay until 9pm. trainers are hard on new people. and they dont get your information for pay right away all they ask for when you start is your first and last name,
Pros
pay check
Cons
long shifts ( 12 - 16 hrs a day ), trainers are rough on new people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.