Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 579 reviews matching the search See all 17,560 reviews
Stressful and unmanagable
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas, ON19 March 2019
I worked for Starwood years ago and found it enjoyable and an amazing environment to be in. Now the call centres for reservations are a joke, you take constant call after call and you don't get a break to catch your breath in between, you are told if you do not meet your conversion you will be "coached" until you do so, you are told by the front admins that you will be "fired" if you make mistakes, the work life balance is non existent as you only get one weekend day off and one day in the middle of the week, working weekends is fine but lets face it in a high stress environment you need 2 days to distress yourself before going back into the trenches. Minimum wage for this job is completely ridiculous for all the information you are expected to know and all the programs you have to navigate. Don't be fooled when you go into your interview and are told a bunch of empty promises such as you will get to put a bid in for a shift or get every other weekend off. HR is not honest about the stress of this position and the training although 4 weeks long does not prepare you for what is coming on the floor. I'm not saying don't apply to this company. I'm just saying be prepared for all the things that come along with the job.
Pros
set schedule
Cons
staggered days off
Great team
REVENUE AUDIT MONTH END SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2019
Challenging with acquisition and merger . great to learn new thing on urgent basis. great managers and leaders at Vistana . Currently very unstable as far as job stability due to mergers
Pros
coffee
Cons
room to developed employees
Good Place to work
Rooms Controller, Trainer & Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2019
Ottawa Marriott is a really great place to work. You see a lot of lifers and everyone else seem to be younger students (at least at the front desk). High turnover rates because of this.
Pros
Marriott Discounts
Cons
High turnover
Très stressant
Femme de chambre (Former Employee) –  Mont-Tremblant, QC7 March 2019
Cet emplois est très stressant… Direction peu compréhensive.
The job is great the staff can be fun
At Your Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 March 2019
I have applied for a managers twice and both times have been told thank you but no thank you and the people that have got the positions come with less experience which is the reason I'm looking to find somewhere where advancement is based on your knowledge not who we know.
Pros
I get off the phones to help agents which I enjoy
Cons
Nothng is a permant position feeling used.
tres bonne experience
Entretien Ménager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2019
bonne expérience de travaille et très bon salaires
so so
manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 March 2019
Good values, good product, great location, competitive market, long hours, very stressful, more conscious about the customers, overwhelming, not enough staff...
Exhausting
Call Centre Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON27 February 2019
This job used to be fantastic.
Great benefits, good pay, bonuses and draws+prizes, free or cheap hotel stays, a balanced day.

So many people couldn't handle the work, and have left in the last three+ years I have been with the company. Almost everyone has, at some point, had to take a leave of absense, and it often relates to the stress of the job. Not many people have great attendance, because it honestly is so hard to get up and go to this job. That was all before the last 6 months... its gotten worse.
It is seriously not worth anyone's while to work here, anymore. Reasons:
A) We used to be paid a few dollars over minimum wage, but our wages basically didn't move when minimum wage increased so now alot of people make minimum or just a few cents over.
B) Bonuses might as well be non-existant. They say you have the potential to make like $5 extra an hour, but I am a strong employee with good stats, and I haven't had a single penny of a bonus in 6 months since Marriott systems replaced the Starwood systems. I used to make $200-$600 extra. Now, nothing.
C) Incentives via random draws just don't really happen much now. Marriott took that all away... Starwood sort of sucked to work for, too, but we no longer get points, giveaways are rare and the free food days have decreased. The hotel room employee cost have also spiked since the Marriott system came into play.
D) The call volume has increased: we used to have busy moments. Now, from the time you get there until the time you leave, you are getting overwhelmed with back-to-back calls- there is literally not even 1 second
  more... given between calls so that you can destress, catch a break, have a drink of water and reset yourself. Just f'd from the moment yo go until the moment you leave.
E) To make matters worse, the merge has been an absolute mess and so many of my calls are with angry guests. If you like getting cussed out and called names, advance to Elite Services... or even Loyalty Care
F) Were almost into the third month of the year and we still haven't had vacation hours loaded...
G) Advanvement Opportunities all but do not exist. I came to the company thinking I would lile to go toward management, the way that many friends quickly did. But, Marriott took over and no one really advances anymore.
H) They do annual surveys to 'try and make it a better workplace' but they literally took away our ability to leave comments and actually have a say. Just vague multiple choice options. They really don't care about you, because you are replaceable.

The only good things: Benefits (though its like $45 a month now), The staff (most people on the floor with you complain, cause we all get frustrated... but some
Of the supervisors are really decent people and the HR is very understanding of sick time, etc, and I do think that they try), the schedules are set and you are guaranteed your hours + holidays are optional, and if you work them you do get paid double+stat.

^^These things ARE the reason I have stuck around... it's hard to compete. But honestly, it is the most draining and soul-sucking position I have ever held.
The biggest hotel chain
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON18 February 2019
I work in banquets therefore the shifts keep on changing ie no work life balance. there are times you work 50 hrs a week and then there are times where there is nothing for entire week.
Standard Hospitality Industry Job
Night Relief Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 February 2019
I will always appreciate the skills I learned, however, it is a shift work job and thus can have the drawbacks associated with such work. The culture is progressive and accepting of all peoples. Work load, tasks, and challenges are pretty standard to other hotel and hospitality jobs.

Want to know more about Marriott International, Inc.?

Ask a question
Fun and cooperative environment
Banquet server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2019
Just serving guests with enthusiasm, I have learned a lot like cooperation, being able to the work in a fast phase etc, Hardest part of the job is doing things physically (very tiring)
Most enjoyable part is be able to work with a lot of fun people.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
short hours especially low season for I am only casual. pretty long time to grow
interesting and fun
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 February 2019
starwood was a great place to be when first starting to work, lots of cultural learning, fun friendships and great staff members. I loved it there, it was great
Pros
free lunches, great staff
Cons
sitting for 8hrs
Can be fun
Front desk clerk - Full time (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 January 2019
It wasn't a horrible job some Co workers were awesome and most guests were great people, but the management excluding a few were terrible to deal with and the pay was not enough for the amount they demand from you
Pros
Meeting alot of great people
Cons
Management, shift start times.
Learning atmosphere to grow
Sauté Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON29 January 2019
Marriott International is a great place to be employed. More than you give them, you get back. I got to learn so many things from my chefs. i learnt how to handles conflicts and problems.
Best Hotel
Gouvernante (Former Employee) –  Marriott Springhill Suites29 January 2019
Meilleur banière pour qui jai travaillé.
Belle communauté, fantastique patrons, bonne énergie positive.
Toujour bien encadré.
Pros
énergie positive
Cons
jen es pas
Superbe organisation
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2019
Les condition de travail et le respect du personnel est admirable chez Marriott, les journée sont très occuper mais la motivation de nos responsable font que l'on ce surpasse chaque jours.
Pros
Les responsable de chez Marriott
Cons
aucun
Internationally known hotel chain with a solid reputation and network
Sales Manager Association markets (Former Employee) –  Champlain, QC27 January 2019
Good company to work for. It is an international organization with a vast network - recognized for a consistently high level of service.
Hotel staff and management professional & conscientious.
Busy yet fun
FULL TIME CALL CENTRE AGENT (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 January 2019
Training of four weeks is very intense but the facilitators help you out a great deal and the training is very detailed.

You can pick what shift you would like to be on. Lead trainers on the floor are very helpful and will always be there to help you along.

Tests in the training program can be nerve racking but if you really read the question you will figure out what they are asking for. If you still don't understand ask they will help you out.

Lot of free lunches and snacks, fun things to do.
Pros
Lot of free meals, snacks, fun games
environnement tres agréable
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Key West, FL11 January 2019
professionnalisme, leadership, esprit d'équipe et surtout l'atmosphère familiale.
Terrible management.
Second cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON5 January 2019
If you want to work in a kitchen, avoid Morton's at all costs. "Chef" is a terrible person to work for who will yell at you and belittle you infront of all the staff, or pull you into a walk-in cooler to "talk" with you.
Pros
Not any I can think of
Cons
Terrible work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

58.1K