Marmot Basin Employee Reviews

Super fun place to work
Bartender/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB10 October 2018
a typical day at work involved opening and closing my bar
weighing liquor bottles, restocking the beer fridges, making sure the kegs were full
I learned a lot of useful teamwork skills
I was hired on as the manager as I was the only person who worked the upper chalet bar everyday.
the hardest part of the job would probably have been on event/promo days when we would have ie: Kokanee there and so it could get a little busier than usual on those days but still enjoyable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the different people from all over the world and hearing all of their different stories, and also sharing a few of mine. also letting some of them know the secret local spots
Pros
lots of free swag when events were held or promo came
Cons
I blew my shoulder out snowboarding to work
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB6 June 2018
Very fun and rejuvenating experience, minimum wage, very social, lots of opportunities to learn how to ski/snowboard, enjoy the front row seat for watching jerry's get off the lift.

Hard to afford any luxuries, long days
Pros
50% off food, 30% off retail, free season pass/buss pass
Cons
long hours, minimum wage
Feels like highschool all over again
Punching bag (Current Employee) –  Jasper, AB16 February 2018
Very bad experience working at Marmot Basin. Day consists of getting on the bus at 7am, arriving at 8am, working 9-4/430, back on the bus at 5, and finally home by 6. The actual job isn't difficult and I enjoy it for the most part but there is a lot of waiting around, aka gone for 11 hours a day but only paid for 6.75hours which leaves you with very little time to do anything other than work. The pay is minimum wage and all work is outside in freezing temps anywhere from 0 to -35 degrees. As for work culture get ready for highschool all over again, always drama, always gossip, and if you don't fit in right away they are very vocal about how much they dislike you. I came here very eager to meet new people and explore the mountains but haven't had luck in either aspect as most of the people here are more interested in getting plastered than enjoying nature. The pro of this job is that you get to be so close to the mountains, if you want to enjoy a nice hike/bike/run/skate/climb its all just out your front door. Management is not very helpful so it's a lot of trial and error but the supervisors are nice.
Pros
Seasons lift pass, some discounts
Cons
Management, party culture, freezing temps, pay, hours, staff accom
fun workplace
Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Jasper, AB11 February 2018
great place to work, maintaining the unloading and loading ramps and greeting customers, I have learnt how to run a lift and I feel my interpersonal skills have enhanced immensely.
Pros
ride breaks
Cons
Fun environment to work in
Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB22 January 2018
While it is a fun environment to work in, the benefits and the salary make it very hard to live off of. Sometimes hours were hard to come by as an instructor.
Loved my job but unprofessional/unorganized company to work for
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jasper1 June 2015
In all my years of instructing, I have never loved my job but had such an issue with the company I worked for. Sure the perks of working on a mountain are plentiful, ride breaks, cheap food and decent staff parties but my major concern with Marmot Basin was the inability of managers to organize their departments which lead to an extremely hectic and unorganized mess on weekends/holidays. These days in snow school were absolutely wild. Zero organization and a poor effort of trying to pair instructors with clients. Nevertheless, once I received my clients, I enjoyed the opportunity to introduce people to a new sport, and it felt very rewarding.
The HR is not very helpful when it comes to...well human resources. It was a struggle to get a uniform, letters for reciprocal skiing etc. I think they really didn't want to be there half the time. Payroll was a nightmare to deal with. Missing hours, late pay and even a month after I ended the job, still no ROE. Finally, the company did not even train, not even an orientation. Just got thrown into the job. I understand the business is busy but make time to properly train your staff.
As with most jobs, it's the people you work with that make your job special and I was lucky enough to work with some great people from all over the world. I hear most people don't return though due to the frustrations with management and the "we will always have business so we will never change" mentality. Don't get me wrong when I say I had a blast but be prepared for stuff to be run a little different here. Let's just say the company's not run by people
  more... with Ivy league MBA's.  less
Pros
Great snow conditions, ride breaks, fantastic coworkers
Cons
Hectic, unorganized, day at the circus. Pay missing/late, HR useless
Work is dependent on customer demand, so making time to shred on my own is critical
Snowboard & Ski Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jasper AB31 March 2015
Being an instructor we all know to never rely on your daily schedule because it will constantly be changing, so you have to be ready for whatever is thrown your way. Some days ill be teaching a morning school group of twenty kids and my afternoon i will be given a private lesson of one, even at time i have had to instruct a snowboarder and skier AT THE SAME TIME! Working at marmot is unpredictable and sometimes frustrating, but at the end of the day I love my job because seeing the progression and a smile on my clients face is the best feeling you can get. Occasionally i find myself with no hours all day, often sore, and dont make alot of money, but being able to do this job is more then rewarding.
Pros
rewarding-seasons pass-improving myself everyday
Cons
no hours-chaotic-no days off
A rewarding job with many benefits
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB12 March 2014
I would take a staff bus at 7am and arrive back home at 6pm. The customer service part of the job would run between 830/9am - 4/430pm and involved scanning tickets, loading customers onto the ski lifts and aid in unoading. Physical tasks included shovelling snow, raking mazes, setting up fences and builing mazes with gates.

I have learnt a lot about my limitations, and challenges have made me understand what I am good at and not good at, which has in part been learnt from the people around me I am working with. The most enjoyable part is being able to Snowboard whilst at work. The hardest part is the long cold days.
Pros
Free ride breaks, free season mountain pass
Cons
Long hours, minimum wage
great
go to the nursery
set room up
kids come
play
send kids out for skiing lessons
bring kids in from skiing lessons
Pros
kids
Cons
so far away from home
Positive environment with good ride breaks
Ski and snowboard technician (Former Employee) –  Jasper, Alberta11 April 2012
Always challenging as the tech shop gets a variety of people with all kinds of different problems. I learned a lot of skills related to tuning skis both by hand and on machines. Always enjoyed working with my co-workers. For me helping people to enjoy their mountain experience and getting to improve my skiing were definite highlights.