Market Fresh
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Market Fresh Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
It started off great but management is almost useless and can be condescending. Overworked and underpaid for such a stressful environment. All the employees are great it's the management you need to look out for.
I started at Market Fresh in 2016,
I began as a dishwasher in the butcher shop and was encouraged by the Store Manager to pursue a career in meat cutting.

I honed my craft, became a people person whether I liked it or not and achieved something fantastic in my opinion.

The employees are very nice and talented here, I feel like there's a sense of belonging and family.

Upper management and the owners and flexible and understanding when life happens as well.

Great place !
Pros
large discount, fun environment
Cons
Market Fresh is an independent Gourmet Grocery Store located in the heart of Guelph. You will thrive at Market Fresh if you are able to work in a fast paced work environment and like to provide great customer service. You have the ability to get to know your customers, lots of regulars and friendly faces.
Amazing store and great staff! Excellent for dedicated hard workers, not a place for slackers. Fast paced and rewarding. Family owned business - a true inspiration how the owners have started this store from the ground up and have been successful over many years. And the owners throw a great employee appreciation party each January (with awards, food & drinks).
Some managers are rough around the edges and could use a little improvement in people skills and handling unexpected situations. While other managers are absolutely amazing.

The regular customers are a hoot and are fun to chat with and help.

Highly recommend working at Market Fresh.
Pros
Good hours, employee discount, great staff and owners
I worked as a deli clerk. Was a great job and I loved the people I worked with. I learned a lot from my manager and it was cool to try all the different kinds of meat and cheese.

Even though I don't work at MF anymore, I still make charcutier boards for my friends and family!
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
There is a lot to learn in the beginning
Great place to grow and develop. What I love most about Market Fresh is that they recognize the potential in an employee which allows the opportunity for growth. The owners and managers are approachable and genuinely care about the staff. One of the best work environments I've experienced!
My time at Market Fresh was nothing but an amazing experience.

Although I was just a cashier I was given so many opportunities by the owners themselves to participate in learning other areas of the business. From online grocery ordering system, to helping out in other areas, I got such a breadth of experience.

The customers love shopping there and it shows because everyone is so friendly and happy to be there. I loved how they stand strongly for their community and lend a helping hand whenever someone asks. These are the type of people you want to work for!

We need more Market Fresh’s in the world!!
Pros
Hours are amazing 8am-8pm week days and 8am-6pm weekends!! Amazing customers, staff, and location!
Cons
There’s only one in Guelph!
Currently still working at Market Fresh. Good job and a great team. It is very demanding, but a lot of really great hands on experience. Learned more in the last year than any job I have ever had before.

Pay is good and lots of hours. Dental and prescription are included in benefits package.

Staff/Managers are crazy busy and don't have time to deal with drama. People who are coming here for an easy job don't last long. Not that it's overly hard work. You just can't screw around and expect people to ignore it.

Overall, great job and I'm happy I made the switch from my previous grocery position for a competitor. I'm proud to tell people where I work!
Pros
Free pizza, free coffee, good hours, never a dull moment
Cons
Store sometimes suffers from "too many cooks in the kitchen".
Market Fresh will deduct cashier's pay if till is short more than $5, but keeps any money that is over. There are very clear rules about employers ability to do this, and although Market Fresh tries to abide by these rules (Employment Standards) they do not. Other employees have access to your till, and Market Fresh knows it. Time for a claim with Employment Standards.
Too many managers. Why does the HR Manager pack groceries?
Awful workplace culture, demanding work with little compensation, egotistical management and a complete lack of respect for the employees. Avoid like the plague.
Pros
Some employees were nice
Cons
Everything else
Do you want a job where; you're over-worked, under-payed, that's under-staffed, there's a lack of leadership, there's little-to-no recognition for completed work, you're led by clueless management.
If you do want this in a workplace, than Market Fresh is for you.

The place promotes a friendly, family atmosphere, but behind doors smiles quickly fade and negativity and and the weight of the place is evident. If you want to be ignored, disrespected and work big for very little, work here.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Almost everything
I recommend you don't waste your time with this company. You'll love working with fellow co-workers, but the management team, owners and HR are the worst. They don't treat you with respect, you feel intimidated when they're around, they treat you unfairly. You don't get Benefits unless you've worked there for 6 months and are full-time. You always feel like you're being judged and watched by anyone in HR or the owners themselves. Staff turnaround is high. The atmosphere is stressful and most employees complain about their jobs. I could go on and on, but overall it was a terrible job and I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their time there.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
No Benefits, High Staff Turnaround, Reduced Hours, Bad Management
Majority of the departments are over-worked and under-staffed. In a short time, you'll come to learn that nearly every single person that works there absolutely hate their job, management and the company with an burning intensity I have rarely ever experienced. And if that doesn't make you question your choice to work there then you will have missed the writing on the wall as I did.
Days consisted of providing excellent service to customers in a fast-paced environment. The work team were supportive and made working an easy task each day.
Are you looking to be underpaid and overworked? Looking to work in a small space with next to no cleanliness? Long hard hours and no appreciation? Well then definitely apply to Market Fresh (there’s a good chance they’ll hire you, they’re desperate considering their turnover rate)
Where do I start, management is clueless, it seems like the owners hired the dumbest and laziest people they could find when it came to management. They’re rude, high and mighty because of their position (you’re a middle aged person working at a grocery store just chill out) they’re basically just not helpful in anyway and really serve no purpose.

The turnover rate is insane, due to this you will have to pick up the workload of 5 people in every department you can think of, while only making minimum wage.

It’s a cramped and dirty work place. Mould, flys, rotting food, need I say more?

In the summer it can get up to 45 degrees Celsius’s in the back at market fresh, instead of offering us relief from the extreme heat we’re worked harder, with no air flow, a closed back door so no breeze is able to come through, vents that don’t work, we’re encouraged to come in full uniform: which means wearing your thick cotton cap and apron and heavy work shoes.

Find a job anywhere else because this place will ruin you.
Pros
There is a lot of secret places you can go to cry.
Cons
Everything.
If it werent for the people I worked with I would have put my time at Market Fresh at 1 star.

I worked at Market Fresh for about a year and there were many, many issues with this job, the most prevalent being the lack of respect and inappropriate behaviour from management.

Extremely high turnover, at one point was the longest working person in my department. The people that do stay here are extremely hard working and put up with a lot of unprofessional and unpleasant behaviour.

This leads to it being an uncomfortable environment to be trained in, or to work permanently.

With the minimum wage hike, hours and labour were cut drastically creating numerous issues and stresses on staff. As well as bonuses/ promotions being revoked.

Overall the job was not great, and was not worth the trouble. Loved my coworkers but wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
10% off
Cons
high stress, conflicts with management, high turnover, lack of respect
I enjoyed my job at marketfresh, I got long frequent hours, and was passionate about preparing food for customers. I prepared sandiwches, and served food from our hot food counter. learned cullinary skills.
This is the worst environment I've ever worked in and the owners are so clueless as to what's going on behind the scenes, which sucks because it has such great potential. The store has awesome products but most staff can't even afford their lunch. A lot of the food isn't even fresh or "MF's own" yet they're fooling customers into thinking it is and that's not fair. The hours are ridiculous and the pay isn't fair. Ever since minimum wage went up everyone makes the same amount? Doesn't even make sense or is fair whatsoever. Management really need to step it up and care more about their employees and realize why the turnover rate is so bloody high. I would never recommend this place for a friend to work.
Pros
Good staff, good coffee, good snacks
Cons
Lonnnnngg hours, treated unfairly, not respected by management
I enjoyed that there were a lot of different tasks to do so it makes the shift go fast. That was until, the turnover rate was high and departments were underemployed. It became too stressful having the expectations from management of completing all the necessary tasks and serve customers with very few or majority being new employees.
The management did a poor job on understanding that less employees does not equate to the same productivity. They also didn't want to do much about it either.

The store is beautiful and has good intentions, but management needs to realize the employees are not robots and can't do 10 things at once and serve customers.
Pros
Delicious food
Cons
Too much to do, not enough help to get it done
Great boss! Allowed me to learn a lot about myself. Gave me a lot of responsibility. Great people to work with. Great environment to work in. Good schedule and hours.
A very fast paced environment with lots of nice people. The work was challenging and rewarding.
I learned about providing great service to the customers and I enjoyed learning new skills and being trained in different departments. The teamwork was amazing!

My co-workers were awesome and the shifts went by very quickly. I felt like part of a family.

The people who don't like working there are people who are lazy and looking for an easy job. It's not rocket science - just show up for your shifts and do what is asked.
Pros
Time flies because it is so busy
Cons
Some people spend more time talking than working