Market Fresh Employee Reviews

Co-Workers are Great, the Job itself, Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph4 March 2019
I recommend you don't waste your time with this company. You'll love working with fellow co-workers, but the management team, owners and HR are the worst. They don't treat you with respect, you feel intimidated when they're around, they treat you unfairly. You don't get Benefits unless you've worked there for 6 months and are full-time. You always feel like you're being judged and watched by anyone in HR or the owners themselves. Staff turnaround is high. The atmosphere is stressful and most employees complain about their jobs. I could go on and on, but overall it was a terrible job and I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their time there.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
No Benefits, High Staff Turnaround, Reduced Hours, Bad Management
You'll love your co-workers but hate the company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 January 2019
Majority of the departments are over-worked and under-staffed. In a short time, you'll come to learn that nearly every single person that works there absolutely hate their job, management and the company with an burning intensity I have rarely ever experienced. And if that doesn't make you question your choice to work there then you will have missed the writing on the wall as I did.
Overworked and underpaid
Sales (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 October 2018
Are you looking to be underpaid and overworked? Looking to work in a small space with next to no cleanliness? Long hard hours and no appreciation? Well then definitely apply to Market Fresh (there’s a good chance they’ll hire you, they’re desperate considering their turnover rate)
Where do I start, management is clueless, it seems like the owners hired the dumbest and laziest people they could find when it came to management. They’re rude, high and mighty because of their position (you’re a middle aged person working at a grocery store just chill out) they’re basically just not helpful in anyway and really serve no purpose.
The turnover rate is insane, due to this you will have to pick up the workload of 5 people in every department you can think of, while only making minimum wage.
It’s a cramped and dirty work place. Mould, flys, rotting food, need I say more?
In the summer it can get up to 45 degrees Celsius’s in the back at market fresh, instead of offering us relief from the extreme heat we’re worked harder, with no air flow, a closed back door so no breeze is able to come through, vents that don’t work, we’re encouraged to come in full uniform: which means wearing your thick cotton cap and apron and heavy work shoes.

Find a job anywhere else because this place will ruin you.
Pros
There is a lot of secret places you can go to cry.
Cons
Everything.
Extreamly good atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2018
I had worked at Market Fresh for 9 years, and with the 9 years of working there I felt appreciated and liked all of the staff. We worked hard and felt more like family
then a work place and that being said, I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great atmosphere, flexible hours, and money was great.
Cons
Grew too fast for the industry.
Good workers, terrible job
Front Bakery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 July 2018
If it werent for the people I worked with I would have put my time at Market Fresh at 1 star.

I worked at Market Fresh for about a year and there were many, many issues with this job, the most prevalent being the lack of respect and inappropriate behaviour from management.

Extremely high turnover, at one point was the longest working person in my department. The people that do stay here are extremely hard working and put up with a lot of unprofessional and unpleasant behaviour.

This leads to it being an uncomfortable environment to be trained in, or to work permanently.

With the minimum wage hike, hours and labour were cut drastically creating numerous issues and stresses on staff. As well as bonuses/ promotions being revoked.

Overall the job was not great, and was not worth the trouble. Loved my coworkers but wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
10% off
Cons
high stress, conflicts with management, high turnover, lack of respect
Busy job, multiple tasks to keep the day interesting, friendly environment, lots of hours
Gourmet2Go Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 July 2018
I enjoyed my job at marketfresh, I got long frequent hours, and was passionate about preparing food for customers. I prepared sandiwches, and served food from our hot food counter. learned cullinary skills.
In need of serious work
Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 March 2018
This is the worst environment I've ever worked in and the owners are so clueless as to what's going on behind the scenes, which sucks because it has such great potential. The store has awesome products but most staff can't even afford their lunch. A lot of the food isn't even fresh or "MF's own" yet they're fooling customers into thinking it is and that's not fair. The hours are ridiculous and the pay isn't fair. Ever since minimum wage went up everyone makes the same amount? Doesn't even make sense or is fair whatsoever. Management really need to step it up and care more about their employees and realize why the turnover rate is so bloody high. I would never recommend this place for a friend to work.
Pros
Good staff, good coffee, good snacks
Cons
Lonnnnngg hours, treated unfairly, not respected by management
Stressful
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 March 2018
I enjoyed that there were a lot of different tasks to do so it makes the shift go fast. That was until, the turnover rate was high and departments were underemployed. It became too stressful having the expectations from management of completing all the necessary tasks and serve customers with very few or majority being new employees.
The management did a poor job on understanding that less employees does not equate to the same productivity. They also didn't want to do much about it either.
The store is beautiful and has good intentions, but management needs to realize the employees are not robots and can't do 10 things at once and serve customers.
Pros
Delicious food
Cons
Too much to do, not enough help to get it done
Fun place to work.
Produce Stocker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 December 2017
Great boss! Allowed me to learn a lot about myself. Gave me a lot of responsibility. Great people to work with. Great environment to work in. Good schedule and hours.
A good place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, Ontario1 November 2017
A very fast paced environment with lots of nice people. The work was challenging and rewarding.
I learned about providing great service to the customers and I enjoyed learning new skills and being trained in different departments. The teamwork was amazing!
My co-workers were awesome and the shifts went by very quickly. I felt like part of a family.
The people who don't like working there are people who are lazy and looking for an easy job. It's not rocket science - just show up for your shifts and do what is asked.
Pros
Time flies because it is so busy
Cons
Some people spend more time talking than working
Not a great place to work
Meals to Go Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 May 2017
I had a really tough time working here. The culture is strange; everyone acts super happy and peppy while they're obviously stressed out of their minds. The training wasn't great, I'd often feel like I was in the way of more experienced employees who would rather complete tasks themselves than help you learn the ropes. The HR department was super friendly but the management always scared the living heck out of me. They expect you to force a smile for the entirety of your shift. Hours weren't great either. And before leaving for one of your shift you had to let a manager look in your bag for suspected shoplifting! That was pretty insane.

Overall, Market Fresh wasn't all bad, I mostly liked my department manager and the food was great, but I can't see myself ever recommending it as a place to work for a friend. I quit after a few weeks.
Pros
Good food
Cons
High stress, uncomfortable environment
Job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 March 2017
One of my first jobs. Had a lot of responsibilities at a young age. Worked my way up from the bottom to the top in just 3 years. Was a family run business that went bankrupt.
The worst job I ever had!
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 March 2017
Worked in the kitchen with the most miserable people I have ever met. Very high staff turnover in kitchen forces everyone to come in overtime and never paid overtime. Everyone is treated like garbage by miserable senior kitchen staff, I quit as soon as I found another job.
Pros
10 discount on overpriced food, some nice staff in front of store.
Cons
Kitchen is pure misery to work in, owners have no clue what is going on. Only one washroom with one toilet for all staff to use. in
Poor Place to work, owner are delusional.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 February 2017
Its not a very great place to work, as management is not good. The owners are insane in thinking that every one loves them. Its no wonder the place is called MARK UP FRESH.
Most of my days were spent be belittled and made to feel as if I wasn't good enough. The amount of Negativity I received daily from my direct manager made feel like I wanted a new job inside of 10 weeks.
Pros
There are none
Cons
long shifts, hectic pace, abusive management, paid too little to even shop there, only a 10% discount
Resualts orriented, hectic, and busy
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 February 2017
MAnagement is only okay, business is sub par when it comes to staffing. The whole place is not very employee friendly, pay is too little, and demand for job results is too much for what the pay was.
Pros
only 10% off for staff
Cons
management, no job security, non unionized, bully type atmosphere
That company is closed
Pack boy (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 January 2017
Didnt like the job, the management. The company is now closed for reasons i dont know.

They liked to have their own little suck ups and if you werent part of that you got the low end if the stick
Pros
Union
Cons
Everything else
owners are idiots
gourmet to go (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 December 2016
Worked at market fresh for 7 months. The couple that owns that business are delusional. The entire store consists of at least 12 departments but only a handful of them are seen by the owners. Worst management, which leads to a high turnover rate. No one wants to stay longer than 6 months and there is no room for growth within the business DESPITE what they might tell you.
Pros
independant work
Cons
long hours, no professionalism
High turnover of staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 August 2016
Love the store and clientele, however some of the management and senior staff can be quite condescending. Management is supposed to ask employees respectively to complete tasks- not sit in their office and bark out of the door. HR department is great though, through health and safety training was provided. Staff moral is terrible- probably again due to poor management. Very, busy fast-paced work environment, if you stop to chat once you again will be berated. I felt bad for the younger kids working there, seemed like they were treated the poorest. Better off just to go work somewhere else in my opinion, they don't seem to care if you did anyway.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Poor management
Busy, upbeat workplace
Front Bakery (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 October 2014
Typical Day:
-Face paced
-Fill cooler with pastries
-Closing duties (mainly cleaning)

What I learned:
-Excellent customer service skills
-Names of pastries, buns, etc.
-Extreme multitasking

Management:
-Excellent
-Well organized

Most Enjoyable:
-Working with coworkers
-Loyal and returning customers
A Positive, Fast-Pace Work Atmosphere
Counter & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 May 2014
Market Fresh was a fast-paced work environment that required constant multi-tasking and customer service interaction. I worked at the Gourmet 2 Go hot counter where we served hot-prepared meals made by the kitchen, alongside a fully operational pizza oven that we used to make artisanal pizzas, a fully operational cafe bar, and other food preparation areas, all of which I was trained to use with maximum efficiency. I hand stretched pizzas, made cafe drinks (including lattes, cappuccinos, etc.), built artisan sandwiches, and prepped food items (for both the kitchen and the G2G areas). On top of those duties I was also in charge of cleaning all surfaces and machines, stocking all food and equipment shelves, aiding the kitchen and front-end staff, and interacting with and helping customers. The work environment was very fast paced and demanding, though I found the experience enjoyable as it always kept me busy and on my toes. There was never a dull moment while working and it was great getting to work with a motivated and up-beat team.