Mark's Employee Review

Really Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 March 2014
I worked at Mark's for two years. Because of the generally older demographic that shops there, customer service is stressed constantly by management - which really helped make me the great salesman I am today.

Though it builds a lot of skill, there's certainly a ton of work that needs to be done to maintain a store that's 12,000+ sq ft with a small team. At times I felt I was being a little bit underpaid, and only ever got a 25 cent raise for my efforts.

Management at the Oshawa Centre store is incredible. I was rewarded multiple times for my efforts straight from the manager's pocket, via gift cards etc. Management at the North Oshawa store was just ok though. They have a 'holier than thou' attitude at that store, and expect employees to go way way way to far above for no reward. I was once asked to stay a half hour later to clean, only to figure out on my next pay check I wasn't even paid for it. I've had to wait around for 20 minutes past the end of my shift while the manager zipped up jackets and demanded we clean the store to perfection before leaving, which I once again was not compensated for.

Overall it's a good place to work. They will work you to the bone, and as states above, have very very high expectations for customer service. Don't really expect any advancement in the company. In my two years I saw one person get promoted from within, and I myself, despite constantly being a top performer, was never promoted to shift leader.

Side notes: the discount is 40% and you have a cap of about $1500, which friends and family
can use as well. They're service
  more... rating system 'J-Score' is mathematically incorrect, (a 5-star and a 3-star gives the store a rating of 2-star instead of 4-star) which always bugged me.  less
Pros
40% discount, rewarded by management
Cons
Very hard to advance, slim hours, no commission

Other Mark's Employee Reviews

overall: a good time
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC8 April 2018
marks is really good at feeling like a family, usually you become friends not only inside of the work place but outside the work place. this is a great first job to have.
Good but could be better.
Front sales and excellence in customer relations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 March 2018
Like most jobs in retail, it can be particularly hostile when dealing with some customers but the discounts and products available at Marks are nearly unmatched. Needless to say, that’s the best pro I’ve found.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mark's. Our community is ready to answer.